Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Did anyone ever claim rents were going down? I thought it was just a slowing rate of increase, same as nearly every other kind of inflation other than gas prices.

There was some hooting and hollering in early 2020 that people were moving en masse to the countryside from the cities to work remotely.

Rents went up in the countryside, and rents also went up in the cities, so I figure it was just an excuse for raising rents out in places that weren't used to rent pressure. The little lovely rural area I grew up in is starting to see the same sort of institutional investment and landlording that the cities have been seeing for decades now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

guarantee that first pending sale resulted in a disclosure they could no longer ignore.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

Did anyone ever claim rents were going down? I thought it was just a slowing rate of increase, same as nearly every other kind of inflation other than gas prices.

this is seasonally adjusted, rents actually dropped from june 09 to june 10, just a tiny bit. renting from 08-12 was a pretty good time to rent and a ton of goons probably did rent in that period

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

this is seasonally adjusted, rents actually dropped from june 09 to june 10, just a tiny bit. renting from 08-12 was a pretty good time to rent and a ton of goons probably did rent in that period

yeah I rented between 2007-2010 in both Milwaukee and Minneapolis and I think it was 800 and 900/month respectively

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My rent in '08 was $500/month. I could actually save money each month even with my lovely restaurant job (then the economy imploded and people stopped tipping so my income went way down)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MickeyFinn posted:

The only time I have seen rents stop going up (not go down) was the first few months of the pandemic. About 6 months ago I saw a UC Davis law professor who was aghast that his survey found that most Californians do not believe that a sudden 10% increase in units will cause rents to drop. I’m not sure what scenario could be posted to make me think rents would go down short of executing landlords for not lowering the rent.

landlords have class solidarity through like a few programs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my friend lives in a unit owned by one of those management companies being sued for collusion through that apartment price fixing software platform :(

Apr 7, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

my friend lives in a unit owned by one of those management companies being sued for collusion through that apartment price fixing software platform :(

Next time they fix prices they'll hide it better.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mastershakeman posted:

we must secure social house to create a better future for our children

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ornery and Hornery posted:

we must secure social house to create a better future for our children

I'm only counting 13 words here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm only counting 13 words here

bucko

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Next time they fix prices they'll hide it better.

Just pay the $14000 fine or whatever and keep doing it who cares

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

can confirm my rent during that period was like $450-550/mo in freaking San Diego (with roommates).

Still would have done better if I’d bought then, even some shity condo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it's been a loooooong road, getting from there to here....

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

What in tarnation? Did they add then remove a solid gold bathtub?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Joementum posted:

Wow! What a deal!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Failson posted:

What in tarnation? Did they add then remove a solid gold bathtub?

The interior does not appear to have been updated since 1982.

Maybe new flooring.

Joementum has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jan 25, 2023

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Bold new vision from the Biden administration on the issue of rental affordability

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1618235179734298625

quote:

Under pressure to address the nation’s soaring housing costs, the Biden administration on Wednesday announced significant new actions to protect tenants and make renting more affordable.

The announcement involves multiple federal agencies that will gather information on unfair housing practices. It includes a “Blueprint for a Renters Bill of Rights” that, while not binding, sets clear guidelines to help renters stay in affordable housing. The White House is also launching a call to action, dubbed the “Resident-Centered Housing Challenge,” that aims to get housing providers as well as state and local governments to strengthen policies in their own markets.

They are going to issue a nonbinding resolution and ask others to do something, if they have the time. Thank you once again Joe for your ceaseless work in making America better every day.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jesus christ

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just do nothing next time

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

But that's what they did this time

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Bold new vision from the Biden administration on the issue of rental affordability

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1618235179734298625

They are going to issue a nonbinding resolution and ask others to do something, if they have the time. Thank you once again Joe for your ceaseless work in making America better every day.

I read another story about it & it's just more grift $ for some politically connected NGOs.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

“To help renters stay in affordable housing”

Is that code for letting landlords off the hook for failing to keep the housing up to livable standards?

No longer will slumlords have to spend any money at all on their units. Just force the tenants to stay. Where else can they afford to go?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh look you found the 2024 campaign slogan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/magazine/relatives-rent-ethics.html

We Gave Our Relatives a House. Can We Make Them Pay for the Upkeep?

The magazine’s Ethicist columnist on the continued obligations we have while financially supporting our family members.

quote:

My husband and I built a luxurious house near ours for his sister and brother-in-law after we learned that they were starting a family. Our motive was admittedly selfish: As two men, we wanted to be part of a nuclear family and help raise their children. We are well off; our brother-in-law is a blue-collar worker, and my husband’s sister stays at home because of untreated anxiety. We agreed to pay the substantial annual real estate tax and not charge them rent.

We are forgoing the $6,000 a month in rental income with the understanding that they will maintain the house. The problem is that they now expect us to pay for all repairs and upkeep, including simple appliance repairs. My husband’s sister, who surrounds herself with enablers, has become a recluse in her beautiful home and won’t even accept responsibility for meeting repair workers when they arrive. It is a source of tension between me and my husband. He feels that we can easily pay those expenses, while I think they should budget for them. (Thanks to our largess, they order takeout food seven days a week with their excess cash.)

The children are now teenagers and far less involved with us than they once were. Am I wrong to insist that my husband’s sister and brother-in-law either maintain the home as a condition of continued occupancy or allow us to sell it, recover the money invested and perhaps provide them with a more limited subsidy?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
toured a home last night that was a total starter home in a lovely decaying neighborhood listed for $430k, meaning you need to earn around 10k/month to afford the monthly but traditional guidance. god bless you Sacramento real estate

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

toured a home last night that was a total starter home in a lovely decaying neighborhood listed for $430k, meaning you need to earn around 10k/month to afford the monthly but traditional guidance. god bless you Sacramento real estate

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2022/01/24/independent-lens-owned-a-tale-of-two-americas

This documentary has video of a real estate agent in 2009 driving around a development in the Inland Empire lamenting that he couldn't sell anything

The signs said "Starting at low $200Ks"

I can't imagine you can buy a loving thing there for low $200Ks now, let alone new construction.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

thinking about affordable housing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ammanas posted:

This is every house in my neighborhood. $400k+ for 70-year-old kit houses with ~1000 sq ft, and close to lots of renting college students who throw loud parties. During the big housing rush, retirees bought up a bunch of them, but now they're just sitting on the market empty. Anyone who can afford them doesn't want to live here.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

actionjackson posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/magazine/relatives-rent-ethics.html

We Gave Our Relatives a House. Can We Make Them Pay for the Upkeep?

The magazine’s Ethicist columnist on the continued obligations we have while financially supporting our family members.

It must be hidden from your excerpt or behind the paywall but I read every word and I didn't get to the part where they GAVE their siblings/in-laws a house. At no point did the owners ever pass along their possession of capital as the headline states.

Surely the venerable Times periodical of the great city of New York wouldn't mischaracterize the situation to bolster the character of the capital owners, right?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

thinking about affordable housing

namaste

Apr 7, 2003

you're being evicted so we can raise the rent, you can't stay

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

It must be hidden from your excerpt or behind the paywall but I read every word and I didn't get to the part where they GAVE their siblings/in-laws a house. At no point did the owners ever pass along their possession of capital as the headline states.

Surely the venerable Times periodical of the great city of New York wouldn't mischaracterize the situation to bolster the character of the capital owners, right?

right, they didn't actually give it to them, they own it, they just didn't charge their sibling and partner rent

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I enjoyed when the capitalists explicitly mentioned that they did it for selfish reasons. and now that the kids are teenagers and don’t hang out with the capitalists, blood must be drawn.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ammanas posted:

I don't think you did the math right unless it's a 10 year mortgage or something.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I enjoyed when the capitalists explicitly mentioned that they did it for selfish reasons. and now that the kids are teenagers and don’t hang out with the capitalists, blood must be drawn.

I did enjoy the little swipe at their take-out food habits as a way of justifying evicting their own family members from their home of over a decade.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the only real family is profit

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you're being evicted so we can raise the rent, you can't stay

the light in me bows to the light in you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't think you did the math right unless it's a 10 year mortgage or something.

youre right, for traditional financial guidance of no more than 30% income going to housing you'd need around 8900/month for that loan assuming you put 20% down

also that home i toured went to pending sale 4 days after it listed. absolutely nothing has changed in the norcal housing market since jpowell started loving the working class and it wont change if he fucks us further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

youre right, for traditional financial guidance of no more than 30% income going to housing you'd need around 8900/month for that loan assuming you put 20% down

also that home i toured went to pending sale 4 days after it listed. absolutely nothing has changed in the norcal housing market since jpowell started loving the working class and it wont change if he fucks us further

All the talk about prices going down any minute now is bullshit in my experience here too. prices are still elevated and haven't gone down at all while rates went from 3.5% to over 6%

I looked at this place on Thursday since my wife wanted to see it, it's a cute house but I don't even know who's going to get a loan for it because there are no similarly-priced comparables in the area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1503-Gardner-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15212_M44603-81764