Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lol yeah I'm sure the US will risk thermonuclear war for the sake of protecting the territorial integrity of Latvia. That's a thing that's definitely going to happen within my life time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

putting radioactive materials in sights doesnt seem very safe

You have to evacuate the room if one breaks and wait for the base radiological officer to arrive at the scene. Fun times.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

Do people actually believe that this is true? Like, a full-scale nuclear exchange would be thousands of missiles, many with multiple independent warheads. There's no way the US doesn't get absolutely obliterated too, even if they manage to intercept a couple of hundred.

Someone told her that ABMs exist and she stopped listening before they could tell her that they don’t work very well and there aren’t that many of them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Starsfan posted:

lol yeah I'm sure the US will risk thermonuclear war for the sake of protecting the territorial integrity of Latvia. That's a thing that's definitely going to happen within my life time.

if they don't, they lose a NATO which is the most important institution around which they've structured their influence in europe

i'm again not saying it's a given, i'm saying that there's a real danger of this all getting way out of hand

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I forget, who is this nutjob? I think I saw their account get posted once or twice before.

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1618381943024017408

author of this all time banger

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Majorian posted:

Uranium is mithril.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
whats Merrick Garland doing these days? he's gotta have some hot takes about this war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I agree insofar as libs were drawing maps of a carved up Russia this autumn and now - to whatever degree - Very Bad Things are happening to the Ukrainian Army and though they would never put it this way, defeat is a clear and distinct possibility unless something changes dramatically. Just like with covid and everything else, the press has ironclad discipline and a certain subset of libs choose to propagandize themselves as part of the culture war, but all of that aside, materially it will be difficult to explain Russian troops achieving battlefield successes. The greater the successes the harder it is to fit with the narratives that have permeated every area of our lives since this time last year.

It's not that they've invested blood and treasure per se, but they hung so much of their goddamn legitimacy on Ukraine that, even after the Ghost of Kiev and Snake Island, I think they are concerned about a domestic ripple should Ukraine very obviously take an L. They saturated the western public in propaganda like we've never seen before. My parish priest talks about Ukraine literally all the time. If any bad thing is in the Gospel, in the sermon he will be sure to compare it to Ukraine. Jesus was born in a manger? Ukraine didn't have electricity over Christmas but celebrated by candlelight. It's a hell of a thing to say "Well, we lost guys. That's it, oh well." after all that.

Afghanistan was extremely upsetting to the Blob. Does anyone remember that? News anchors were practically weeping, columnists were pulling their hair and tearing their clothes. The public didn't care. It didn't materially effect our lives, but we can see that to this conglomeration of the ruling class, taking any kind of L is increasingly not an option.

This has come up in the covid thread, but not only will they not ever do anything substantial about covid ever again, I don't think they can. They spent a huge amount of effort convincing people Covid is Over. Monumental, it was practically social engineering. When material reality intrudes it creates a crisis, because their legitimacy is tied up in the fantasyland narratives. Covid has to be over, or else the state let 1.8M Americans die, sat on its hands, lied to everyone, etc. etc. They've painted themselves into a corner, and while getting out of it would not be dangerous, that they've ruled that impossible, is.

They've done something, probably on a similar scale, around Ukraine. Ukraine can't lose, because look at all the stuff they tied to Ukraine in order to sell it. Freedom. Democracy. loving Western Civilization! Ukraine losing in February last year was no big deal, it was the expected result. Ukraine losing now after industries are going under in Europe, people have insane hydro bills, nurses were told to shut the gently caress up and live on a lower salary for Ukraine's sake? That's a problem.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jan 26, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

Someone told her that ABMs exist and she stopped listening before they could tell her that they don’t work very well and there aren’t that many of them.

On top of even that, it's literally not an assigned mission for any command to intercept Russian nuclear missiles. The only assigned mission is to stop North Korean missiles. Maybe Iran someday.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Endman posted:

Do people actually believe that this is true? Like, a full-scale nuclear exchange would be thousands of missiles, many with multiple independent warheads. There's no way the US doesn't get absolutely obliterated too, even if they manage to intercept a couple of hundred.

i've given up trying to understand what could happen next especially regarding nukes

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/MikecirulloMike/status/1617980319612932096

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lmao, some weirdo chud with almost 800 followers and a paid for checkmark.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Was brought up previously in the thread, I love how it builds on the ongoing narrative that Russia has run out of weapons but also potentially serves in a forward looking capacity as fuel for a conspiracy theory on how all this bombed out American equipment which will surely be photographed in Ukraine is actually a Russian false flag. Very devious if the media picks up and runs with this - but so far it's just this one nobody.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

i've given up trying to understand what could happen next especially regarding nukes

If you think about the triad of things that would be consider global crises that would lead to widespread mobilization of the state, say in the 70's and 80's, even in movies, you have pandemic disease, natural disasters or some other global catastrophe, and nuclear war.

We have seen the ruling class ignore 2/3 and try to continue on as if nothing happened. I guess it depends on how much Francis Fukuyama has shaped every aspect of their thought because I can absolutely see them seeing some projection that nuclear war would not upset the market and would be mild and transitory and going for it.

1991 was the worst thing that could have happened to both capitalism and liberalism because it's created all of this weird poo poo in a consequence free environment. The problem is the absence of consequences is now engrained into the beliefs. They have the most hegemonic and disciplined media, probably in history, supporting them. Consequences either disappear or are transformed by the media into whatever fits the narrative. I genuinely don't know what might happen because I don't think you would see the press question the decision for limited nuclear war to teach Putin a lesson or something.

Everybody is too invested in the End of History, and they might ride it over the cliff. I don't know. Did the End of History ever reckon with a crisis that might bring the end of itself? If not, maybe they really could imagine the end of the world more easily than the end of their system - even if in the scheme of things Ukraine would be a very minor setback, even to NATO expansion, which otherwise succeeded beyond anyone's wildest dreams (again, in a consequence free environment).

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I forget, who is this nutjob? I think I saw their account get posted once or twice before.

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1618381943024017408

Edit: God dammit beaten :negative:

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jan 26, 2023

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Was brought up previously in the thread, I love how it builds on the ongoing narrative that Russia has run out of weapons but also potentially serves in a forward looking capacity as fuel for a conspiracy theory on how all this bombed out American equipment which will surely be photographed in Ukraine is actually a Russian false flag. Very devious if the media picks up and runs with this - but so far it's just this one nobody.

No? That's just a tweet referencing this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21152461/putin-us-weapons-afghan-taliban/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I think technically in WW3 my commission is reactivated as supplemental reserve.

"...b. during an emergency or if placed on active service, without their consent."

Where, if I remember my WW3 timetable, I'm supposed to deploy with 2 CMBG to Norway.

but more likely I live in a target for the first strike on Canada (Allegedly Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Quebec City, St. John's, Nfld., Saint John, N.B., Toronto, Windsor, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Victoria and the areas immediately surrounding them.) so probably not going to be a problem.

Also, did you know they're allowed to dragoon civilians without military training?

"...did not have previous military experience but who do have special skills or expertise for which there is a military requirement."

My point in all of this, is I'm not doing it for Lithuania and they can loving hit me with paperwork under the QR&O if they like.*

* Parody. God save the King. I love Lithuania. D&D posters who send screenshots of this to DND are Russian disinformation operatives.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so the libs have moved on from 'nuclear war can't happen' to 'Russia has no working nukes' to now 'we can intercept all their nukes'.

Well it's still wrong but their logical framework is improving from pure magical thinking

i do wonder what it's like to live in such a mercurial reality where there is no history or meaning to anything that happened before your awoke that morning

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

random twitter blue guy or the fuckin sun?
honestly a tough choice lmao

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

so the libs have moved on from 'nuclear war can't happen' to 'Russia has no working nukes' to now 'we can intercept all their nukes'.

Well it's still wrong but their logical framework is improving from pure magical thinking

i do wonder what it's like to live in such a mercurial reality where there is no history or meaning to anything that happened before your awoke that morning

we have to nuke them because otherwise they’ll win in Ukraine. also their nukes won’t work just like none of their weapons worked in Ukraine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is what I mean about how I don’t think I “get” the Fukuyama stuff.

Shouldn’t I, and by extension the well paid computer touchers and academics ITT, be all-in on this? Is it like, a feeling? An ideology? Syncretized into the culture like folk belief?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

Louise Mensch is not indicative of anything remotely approaching any mainstream thought. She's a conservative brit who buys into weird conspiracy theories for clout or because she actually believes them or both.

If you think Louise Mensch is mainstream, that's probably a sign of your own misreading of the situation.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

yellowcar posted:

author of this all time banger

It is with a heavy heart I report the sentence for Steven Bannon is one million years dungeon.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Louise Mensch is not indicative of anything remotely approaching any mainstream thought. She's a conservative brit who buys into weird conspiracy theories for clout or because she actually believes them or both.

If you think Louise Mensch is mainstream, that's probably a sign of your own misreading of the situation.

She is and i'm not misreading it, i'm reading it correctly. And you can take that to the bank.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

She had articles in The Times and The Guardian before she fell out of favour.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

She is and i'm not misreading it, i'm reading it correctly. And you can take that to the bank.

The irony of wondering aloud to the forums how everyone else can be so out of touch while using the evidence that you read one post from a famously unhinged twitter poster is very funny.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

She had articles in The Times and The Guardian before she fell out of favour.

The trump years enabled a lot of absolutely batshit grifters to have incredible jobs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

The irony of wondering aloud to the forums how everyone else can be so out of touch while using the evidence that you read one post from a famously unhinged twitter poster is very funny.

how come i've never heard of her?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Starsfan posted:

You're discounting how horny the US has always been for nuclear war.

When Soviets insisted that American military personnel travelling in East Berlin in civilian clothes have documents on hand, the American response was to make a show of force with tanks, and deploy over a hundred of infantry tactical nukes to Berlin.

The US constantly posts thinkpieces about how nuclear war would be really cool, actually.

If it happens, it won't be for Latvia, it will be to usher in a nuclear war - but Latvia will do nicely as an excuse.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Regarde Aduck posted:

how come i've never heard of her?

You're dumb and uniformed obviously.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seatbelts posted:

It is with a heavy heart I report the sentence for Steven Bannon is one million years dungeon.

Lol of all the times to reference ol lemongrab. He may get 100 million years dungeon himself

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endman posted:

I got some inside info on missile defense during my one college internship at this national defense laboratory (Lincoln Laboratory). I wasn't doing anything related to that myself (I did something with making a figure showing satellites in a sky plot), but a couple people I knew were.

Basically the consensus at the time (which I imagine is probably still true) seemed to be that you can intercept missiles, but that "developing countermeasures to avoid being intercepted" is much easier than "developing ways to get past those countermeasures," so it'll probably never be possible to reliably defend against missiles (at least from another country with similar levels of technology).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheDreadShips/status/1618247423482302464?t=RXAOE7e57WCwZp7MevNrUQ&s=19

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Ukraine and Racism you say

https://twitter.com/HaQ_mAn/status/1618378933556375553

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

This is what I mean about how I don’t think I “get” the Fukuyama stuff.

Shouldn’t I, and by extension the well paid computer touchers and academics ITT, be all-in on this? Is it like, a feeling? An ideology? Syncretized into the culture like folk belief?

my peer group is wildly pro-ukrainian, to the point where i often get the feeling that i am seriously missing something. i re-evaluate and try to get them to convince me, but it doesn't take. i haven't got the faith, i guess.

i think a fair amount of it has to do with one's faith in bourgeois representative democracy and independent institutions, and how much heroism appeals to people. ukraine's war effort has had some genuinely heroic moments, from the government staying in kyiv to the commitment to utter meat grinder battles. the feeling is that the Big Bad (remember, we've been extensively primed for this by among other things the complete hysteria of russiagate, which was never really repudiated) might now be getting his comeuppance, and that it's a moment of geopolitical catharsis. this time, we'll stop hitler at czechoslovakia, no, at anschluss, and we can all glory in the victory. our values will have triumphed, at last! it will make everything a little brighter as the actual situation gradually deteriorates and ecocide progresses. it gives something real and concrete to believe in. if you can't buy into that kind of programme for some reason, it won't take and you're left confused at why everyone's gotten so carried away.

i remember something similar for that weird kony 2012 thing. a lot of people really want to contribute to justice in the world, but haven't found a straightforwardly righteous way to do so. ukraine - or, at least, the propaganda version of ukraine - is very nearly perfect for these people

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about, like could f16's being vectored on target by an AWACS get the drop on mig31's with their absurd radar and long range missiles?

The Russians have their own AWACS as well. You would need a 5th gen and even then stealth breaks down the more radars you hit with it from different angles.

I don’t think the f-16 would get that far to be honest before it was targeted.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in a way, it makes sense; every institution which generates social truth is following a certain line, and it's a very attractive one. of course the people saying "no, this thing is actually not good" are seen as rear end in a top hat spoilsports

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

And that explains why anyone would pay attention to her insane ramblings, thank you.

https://twitter.com/ThePollLady/status/1618100863649841161

quote:

The Poll Lady
@ThePollLady
Current Affairs & Geo Politics.
Northinstagram.com/the.poll.ladyJoined January 2010
1,014 Following
59.5K Followers

This is a funny one. Check out the filters - compare the instragram face to the facebook face. Same person.

Also her real name is all over her powerpoint-slide style photos on the facebook, along with Oxford university branding.

https://www.siasat.com/rashmi-samant-was-asked-to-quit-because-of-views-not-religion-oxford-hindu-society-2113241/

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/rashmi-samant

I mean if you can't trust the geopolitical analysis of a former university student union president at Oxford university (2021) then who can you trust. I mention the former student union thing as I think she's unemployed.

This isn't some anti-Russia fanatic. Just some dumb ex university kid with no life experience and more education than brains.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh my god that thing is adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fell Mood posted:

You're dumb and uniformed obviously.

i know everyone important in the UK: Gibbo, Burnsy, Cheeks, Morty, Ricey and Josh