Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Retro Game Corps just did a video on the Evercade EXP and it's a bit of a mixed bag especially for the price it's being sold at(150 bucks), seems to me that if one did want to get into the Evercade ecosystem the VS is the better choice as it's 50 bucks cheaper(and less competition is around in the home console area for this sort of thing, at least if we discount repurposing Android TV Sticks/Boxes with game launchers or the same with an old small form factor PC)

Though this did lead to me finding out about the EverSD, a third party "Homebrew & Development" cartridge that's been made for the Evercade that can be used to load in games beyond the ones officially sold on their cartridge selection, even allowing Retroarch use on it, which definitely makes me more interested in potentially getting an Evercade VS as it raises it from "gimmicky retro console that's a tad overpriced" to well still being that but one that can compete a bit more equally with the more typical Retro Handhelds, particularly as I pointed out above there's not many purpose made home consoles of this nature compared to the plethora of handhelds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're going to get an Evercade, get the EXP because not all carts work on the VS. Including the Irem cart packed in with the EXP, plus you could just connect the EXP to a TV anyway since it has HDMI out. If you're going to get an Evercade to load roms on, get literally any other emulation handheld. It'll be cheaper, better made (the VS feels like every single PCB in a cheap plastic shell knockoff Famiclone you've ever seen) and probably more powerful and a lot these days also have HDMI out so you could still connect it to the TV. The best option though is probably still just don't get an Evercade, they're for speculators who think those carts will be valuable, obsessive retro collectors who need physical items to feel anything and stiff nerds who think it's a grave sin to download a rom of Street Fighter 2.

I want to like the Evercade, especially with some of the indie game collections they've been publishing, but the devices themselves are just too expensive for what they are. I thought about getting a VS for a long time before actually using one. Though since the VS was made to look like the original Evercade handheld I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new version of the VS coming at some point soon. There's also some weird platform choices in some carts, like the version of Super Skidmarks on the Codemasters collection is the Mega Drive version, not the Amiga. The one consistently good thing I will say about Evercade though is they keep producing those carts in decent quantities, if you want to get the first cart they put out it's still easy to find in stock depending where you are.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 24, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah I don't see the point in getting the evercade (any version) just to flashcart it. The whole point is that it has perfectly legal, official, collectable physical releases that come in tiny carts at roughly $20 a pop.

If you don't care about any of that you can get a Retroid Pocket 3 or Anbernic 505 for a similar price with better screens and more power.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Companies that put out android gaming consoles:

2021 Noname Chinese companies you can't pronounce
2022 mouse company
2023 gaming PC company
Soon
2nd tier laptop makers > actual console makers > triumphant return of the Xperia Play HD
It's been going on for longer than that... over 10 years at this point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-V2uxz_4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyl3UUDqFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2klc5bRSTFI

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Android microconsole boom was a weird time.

Also looking stuff up I was reminded that the Evercade VS didn't include an HDMI cable or power adaptor in the box so they were pinching pennies like crazy on that thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I call it Nevercade because I will never buy it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

The Android microconsole boom was a weird time.

Also looking stuff up I was reminded that the Evercade VS didn't include an HDMI cable or power adaptor in the box so they were pinching pennies like crazy on that thing.

Hey it slightly reduces ewaste! I'm sure that was at the forefront of that decision

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

this would fix me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

I’m a big fan of only putting a game on the device when you’re actually going to play it so you don’t have the entire library causing choice paralysis too.

I have entire collections on my SD card in a different folder than the one I link to my frontend. Best of both worlds, I don’t get choice paralysis but I’m never locked out of playing something vague, just gotta copy it from my full-libraries folder.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh my replacement screen and analogue sticks arrived from Retroid. They uh, sent me a whole case with the screen attatched so I guess I just swap my board and speakers in more or less. Works for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh my replacement screen and analogue sticks arrived from Retroid. They uh, sent me a whole case with the screen attatched so I guess I just swap my board and speakers in more or less. Works for me.

Did they happen to include an extra R1 controller board

Actually, does anyone happen to have a spare R1 controller board for an RP3+? I'd be happy to pay for the part + shipping + tip. Getting Retroid to ship me the correct part this time is probably going to take another month once they get back to work, not including the time it takes for them to read the email I sent them in their massive backlog.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My RAZER EDGE should be here Friday AMA.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What was the hotel room orgy like

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you use the Razer to make phone call on google voice?

Can you use the controller on other phones?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you use the Razer to make phone call on google voice?

Can you use the controller on other phones?

Probably yeah to both.

I have to guess that the verizon version is just a regular phone.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No i think the verizon version is a 5g tablet. They probably didn't pay for all the 4g 5g voice over whatever license fee.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

My RAZER EDGE should be here Friday AMA.

flavor.flv posted:

What was the hotel room orgy like

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's a bummer Scott Hall died. He'd be a perfect spokesman.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

1upmuffin posted:

Curious how you find the 280V triggers, they look uncomfortable from the pictures but maybe it's not so bad. RG35XX looks nice but I do wish it was smaller.

Maybe in a few months Miyoo will be easier to get.

It finally arrived so I figured I'd post my impressions: it is surprisingly feasible for me to play this thing, even with larger than average hands, and I don't think I'm at any significant risk of cramping -- as long as I don't need to try and maintain access to all four shoulder buttons at the same time as the face buttons. As a matter of fact it might give me somewhat of an advantage, it's easy and comfortable to hit L and R just by allowing my index fingers to sit in a slightly more open position than I might normally rest them, but stretching to access all buttons at once requires hiking up both hands and both splaying and contracting the fingers in a wholly unnatural pose that makes supporting the device against your thumbs that much more awkward and feels like it'd impose cramping VERY quickly. That said, I think the only system this thing can run that needs so many buttons is the PSX (which runs amazingly well btw), and even then I'd struggle to name games that require you to regularly have twitch-reflex access to them all at once.

The stock firmware is some astoundingly hot garbage but Adam is a more than suitable CFW and I also get (in theory at least, yet to test any of them) the added bonus of running a whooole bunch of source ports on top of the standard stuff. The screen looks good, the buttons and build feel every bit as responsive and sturdy as I could have hoped for, and I think my only complaints so far are some slowdown in higher-end SNES games (I may have to mess with cores some more) and having to use a bicubic-filtered upscale for GBA games to display at a reasonable resolution. Barring some unforeseen calamitous setback in near future, I say nuts to the Miyoo. This thing was easily worth the price of a modern triple-A game.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 26, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
All other retro consoles will bow before the ultimate retro console

The one that LEAPFROGS them in power and prestige

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZM2zpRA95E

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've always known there was a scene for hacking Leapfrog devices but every time I check in on them it's reaching new levels of derangement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That video popped up into my feed today and I watched it and derangement is the correct word because he first attempted to reflash the Leapfrog via Linux on a PS4. I had no idea it even had a scene until he showed that he was taking instruction from a channel dedicated to hacking Leapfrogs.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can anyone recommend a handheld for someone who literally only wants to play NES roms* and has big hands? The simpler to use the better, because this is for an elderly person

* not to say it must exclusively do this, but that is the level of horsepower we're talking here

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Manager Hoyden posted:

Can anyone recommend a handheld for someone who literally only wants to play NES roms* and has big hands? The simpler to use the better, because this is for an elderly person

* not to say it must exclusively do this, but that is the level of horsepower we're talking here
Big hands? Take it to the MAX!

The RK3326 is an old chipset at this point, but it's more than enough for NES.

https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...childrens-gifts

https://retrododo.com/powkiddy-max-2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Nm3a8tPL8

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Steamdeck.

Alternatively, the RG351V might work well for big hands if you don’t plan to use the shoulder buttons, which you wouldn’t for NES games. It’s about as big as an OG Gameboy.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

F.D. Signifier posted:

Big hands? Take it to the MAX!

The RK3326 is an old chipset at this point, but it's more than enough for NES.

https://powkiddy.com/products/powki...childrens-gifts

https://retrododo.com/powkiddy-max-2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Nm3a8tPL8

Seconding the Max 2 here, this is 100% my favorite retro game console and still the most comfortable to look at and hold of all that I've used. The major downside is the CFW; one dude supported it for like 4 months over a year ago, and afaik nothing has been updated since then. It's a little disappointing because otherwise it'd be the star of the rk3326 lot.

Edit: Oh, that said apparently it's still going for like $130 give or take after shipping. Maybe you could find it used? But at that price something like the rp3+, which didn't exist yet when the max 2 was released, might be better for you idk.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 27, 2023

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Before I post in SA Mart, figured I'd do a quick interest check here - anybody looking to pick up an AYN Odin? I have a white one (Pro version, 256GB storage, with the dock) that I'm looking to sell. Had been using it for streaming, but recently sold my desktop PC in favor of a steamdeck, so it's become a bit redundant for me. Great little handheld, just only so much gaming time in the day....

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
What are you looking to get for it? I just ordered a RP3+ last night after months of indecision.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What are you looking to get for it? I just ordered a RP3+ last night after months of indecision.

Probably around $300-ish, as the Super Pack (with the dock/case that I'd include) is $400 new, and the Odin Pro 256gb without the accessories is $330 new. Seems like a decent discount on prevailing eBay prices which are around $400ish as best I can tell.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Fair enough. Outside my budget but still a good deal.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Fair enough. Outside my budget but still a good deal.

May end up having to part it out, but I'm not sure how much of a market there is for the Dock as a standalone item. Very neat little device and was definitely cool to finally realize the dream I had as a teenager of having a portable PS2 (back when there are all sorts of weird modding projects to make that kind of thing).

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Kikuchiyo posted:

Probably around $300-ish, as the Super Pack (with the dock/case that I'd include) is $400 new, and the Odin Pro 256gb without the accessories is $330 new. Seems like a decent discount on prevailing eBay prices which are around $400ish as best I can tell.

I might be interested, assuming you're in the US.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

quote:

Dear Marcus,
Thank you for ordering a unit of the Razer Edge, we are so excited to finally get units in your hands so you can enjoy the ultimate Android gaming handheld. Your commitment as an early adopter means a lot to us, and we worked tirelessly to build the ultimate device for gaming on the go.
We regret to inform you about an error that we discovered on the Razer Edge product page. The Razer.com tech specs and product page incorrectly listed the RAM for the Razer Edge Wi-Fi version as 8 GB. This was a mistake – the Wi-Fi version has 6 GB of RAM and the 5G version has 8 GB of RAM.
If you would like to return your unit for any reason, within 14 days of receiving your order please reach out to Razer Support for a full refund.
As a token of apology for the error, we would like to offer you a $25 gift card whether you return the device or not.
Thank you so much for being a loyal Razer customer and for being an early adopter of the Razer Edge.

So a device that’s $399 having only 6 gigs of ram seems kinda crappy. I was probably gonna return it anyway but this makes it easy lol

I’m waiting to get it from fed ex so we will see how it is in a few hours.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving Razer, man

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah like that product page has been up for like months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That seems like a pretty ridiculous oversight. And why would the difference in 2GB of RAM be due to a 5G antenna?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's just straight up scam behavior, even offering a return not saying you've quietly dropped the specs until the device is already shipped out is inexcusable if you're not also going to cover the costs to return it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s a huge disappointment after opening this thread specifically to ask how the thing is. If I got one it would be the 5G unit for traveling but that’s still so lame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timby posted:

That seems like a pretty ridiculous oversight. And why would the difference in 2GB of RAM be due to a 5G antenna?

Decent odds it’s not an oversight and they just wanted to see if they could still keep the sales after the production estimate for 8GB came back high

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

That’s a huge disappointment after opening this thread specifically to ask how the thing is. If I got one it would be the 5G unit for traveling but that’s still so lame.

The 5G one is $599 though and you’d need to add a line which is ridiculously pricy on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
599 is spicy, I didn’t realize it was that high, but isn’t the data only 10/mo if you already have Verizon?