Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Read some :tinfoil: a year or three back that in the "near future" quantum computing will simply laugh at all of this.

They already have something to chain GPUs together to crack passwords in record time, because there's over 500 cuda cores per device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Weird thread for the discussion but I hope someone gets around to replacing the entire concept of the password because it's getting unworkable at this point

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How is it weird? This thread has historically been for discussing anything but free games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Manager Hoyden posted:

Weird thread for the discussion but I hope someone gets around to replacing the entire concept of the password because it's getting unworkable at this point

that's what 2fa / multifactor is about

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's what 2fa / multifactor is about

Yeah but that's just more work on top of having to track a thousand gibberish passwords. More secure but it sucks

There are a lot of highly paid dorks who should have solved this by now

Get to work dorks!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://i.imgur.com/wrr5lab.mp4

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah but that's just more work on top of having to track a thousand gibberish passwords. More secure but it sucks

There are a lot of highly paid dorks who should have solved this by now

Get to work dorks!

No matter how secure you make a system you can never secure against your biggest vulnerability: the users.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No matter how secure you make a system you can never secure against your biggest vulnerability: the users.

I don't know how common it is but I worked in a shop that had a "joke" OSI model with an 8th layer - the user layer. Instead of calling a user or admin an idiot we'd just call it a Layer 8 error

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Nerd Squad, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on LastPass, and I have over 300 confirmed passwords. I am trained in gorilla lexigrams and I'm the top h4x0r in the entire US armed chairs. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will packet inject you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of chan posters across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your email account. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can h4x0r you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my keyboard. Not only am I extensively trained in keyboard combat, but I have access to a mouse and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the google.com, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

treat posted:

^^ like me. all the bad dudes want my pre-microsoft five-letter-named minecraft account.

This happened to me, my account was taken over by some youtuber.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there any comprehensive service that texts your phone or some such with a code whenever you log into anything? That would be obnoxious, but secure.

HenryEx posted:

If you're using passphrases, go out of your way to pick one or two words in a different language. Of course it's best if you use pass phrases that aren't in English at all, but using two or even three different languages in pass phrases drastically reduces the possibility of dictionary attacks.

Don't use foreign loan words though, obviously. Yes, déjà-vu is technically French, but it's not gonna help here. And make sure that whatever foreign word you use can't be mistaken for English in any way, the farther away the better, just so you don't run the risk of it being some obscure word a British poet used once in the 17th century.

It's gonna be pretty tough to crack a password like hitman flugzeug portemonnaie juego with a dictionary attack even if it's just 4 words, because even if you have a dictionary with English/German/French/Spanish words for some reason, its size just went waaaay up.

I do this in French, but be careful... a lot of systems have problems with diacritical marks, which French is loaded with. I've had problems getting back into things because I used é, ê, ç etc

I agree that non-English words are a great idea, just leave off the accents.

Montague Tigg posted:

my favorite free game is "Password Manager 2008"

Can't use it if it's free

Anyway, that sounds like an excuse for microtransactions. Need to reset your password? £1.99

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there any comprehensive service that texts your phone or some such with a code whenever you log into anything? That would be obnoxious, but secure.

It’s actually trivially easy to trick someone in cell companies into giving a phone number to you — sure, it will eventually get fixed and taken back, but you only need that one text.

My partner receives a phone call whenever they need to log into their work. An automated voice gives them a code and that’s their second factor. It is the dumbest thing I’ve seen in quite some time in how much work it takes for how little security it offers

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

~Coxy posted:

This happened to me, my account was taken over by some youtuber.

:same: i couldn't be bothered to take my account back and let them have it for a few years. when I finally sent support my receipt and got the account back the turd started emailing me offering to buy the account because it was part of their "brand." since then I get the same offer from a different email address every few weeks.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Grassy Knowles posted:

Learn your friends steam usernames and guess their passwords, free games for life

Yeah, but they’d be free hentai/anime stuff that I wouldn’t play anyway…foiled again!
:sickos:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tons of posts and I thought cyberpunk was being given away

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grassy Knowles posted:

Learn your friends steam usernames and guess their passwords, free games for life

if yall trust each other you can set up steam family sharing and get access to each others' libraries through that. (they only added that to get people to stop password sharing I think)

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Tons of posts and I thought cyberpunk was being given away

no just :goonsay: as usual

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

i'm literally drowning in all these free games wow

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
free game posts when?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
no such thing as a free game sorry. enduring my poo poo posting is the price you must pay

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey, please take the chat to the chat thread, let's settle this one down a bit. Cheers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

treat posted:

:same: i couldn't be bothered to take my account back and let them have it for a few years. when I finally sent support my receipt and got the account back the turd started emailing me offering to buy the account because it was part of their "brand." since then I get the same offer from a different email address every few weeks.

How much were they offering? You should just say "not enough $" until they actually offer you something that's more than enough or stop emailing.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Skwirl posted:

How much were they offering? You should just say "not enough $" until they actually offer you something that's more than enough or stop emailing.

They almost never throw out an offer, except for one guy who offered me "$700 in bitcoin, payed up front to avoid any scams" :rolleyes:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you are completely wrong btw

the security analysis for passphrases like that starts by assuming the attacker knows you're using a passphrase, exactly which dictionary you picked the words out of, and how many words long it is.
for example, if you use a list with just 7000 words, a 6-word passphrase such as "headpiece dimmed slab scallion outbreak saddling" (i just generated that) has 2^76 possibilities to check even with a dictionary attack
that makes it about equal to a 13-random-letters/numbers password like "HMvSR09cS0jSq" security-wise, but much easier to remember

I think it's clear from my post I was talking about people inventing their own passwords instead of relying on password generators. If people rely on generators it's not an issue either way.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This is why you have a different password for anything you have sensitive on it and then "poopybutthole" for your dumbass accounts you sign up to get free poo poo for.

Sure, have my account on "greymarketshadyshit.com" that I used poopybutthole on to get that one game code that I immediately added to steam and then forgot about the account. It has no details or real information on it anyway. It's not even linked to my non-spam email account.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Adios and Hell Is Others are free on EGS today. Adios is supposed to be good, I haven't heard of the other one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adios is a narrative game where you play as a pig farmer who after years of helping the mafia dispose of bodies, tells their contact that they want out. The contact says sure, but that the farmer knows what has to be done and will see him again in 24 hours to kill him.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
And next week's free Epic games are:

City of Gangsters, a tycoon game about your gang taking over a Prohibition-era city. Other people can say if it's actually good, but the concept's pretty clear.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, the standalone DLC for Dishonored 2 about the assassin from the first game's DLC and his old apprentice killing the weird rear end in a top hat god-being that keeps giving people the ability to teleport.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have not played Death Of the Outsider but the character seems to me that if someone capable of killing him said, "I'm going to kill the Outsider," he would say Okay and 1000% be on board just to see what happens. Such a fun loving setting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well gently caress, that's what I get for buying a game on sale with the intention of playing it later. Now I can't play it because it will be free.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can play it because you sacrificed yourself for the rest of us.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
is Death of the Outsider supposed to be the best one or what? I dropped D2 after the clockwork mansion because something about Arcane games just don't feel good to me and I struggle to stick with them idk why. I bought the DLC ages ago so i am immune to free game non-play law

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My understanding is that if you liked Dishonored 2 here you go more Dishonored 2 but with a new character and abilities.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I didn't enjoy it at all. I felt the way they redid the power system sucked all the joy out of the game.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

aniviron posted:

Well gently caress, that's what I get for buying a game on sale with the intention of playing it later. Now I can't play it because it will be free.

According to the thread rules, you are allowed to play it if you originally bought it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh thank goodness. I do like Arkane games.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think this whole "can't play because it's free" joke is stupid elitism. You can just as easily not play games you've paid for.

Let us henceforth ban all playing of games and severely punish anyone foolish enough to play. Break down this wall of elitism!
That way nobody has to worry about if they got the game for money or email addresses or otherwise. It will vastly improve peace of mind.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Geemer posted:

I think this whole "can't play because it's free" joke is stupid elitism. You can just as easily not play games you've paid for.

Let us henceforth ban all playing of games and severely punish anyone foolish enough to play. Break down this wall of elitism!
That way nobody has to worry about if they got the game for money or email addresses or otherwise. It will vastly improve MY peace of mind.

We seem to be ok with it…maybe you could, I dunno, go play a video game and chill out about it?
:agesilaus:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NYT posts in this thrrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As if companies that already have it haven't been sharing it for 5 years.