Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

Also the old man was rowing a boat in a full tux?
He’s probably a wealthy lonely old man who will adopt the blind boy. Wealthy people back then just wore tuxes all the time. In comics at least.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

PainterofCrap posted:

Based on his comment in the last panel, he may have been attempting suicide? But he’s calling for help?

I don't think that's a correct reading. There's been nothing to say rich guy is unhappy - he's just a bad boatsman. "Life is pretty sweet" is a weird line, I would guess it's there to give the blind boy something to chew on as he was so glum he was walking into a quarry last week.
And of course he's wearing a tuxedo, he's rich. The idea of stooging off the kid who saved you with a bank note is also pretty funny to me, though I guess back then you could have bought a house with that paper.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Green Intern posted:

Also the old man was rowing a boat in a full tux?

It's after 6 PM. What is he, a farmer?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 12, 1935)

Peanuts (January 28, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 12, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire, featuring not the greatest energy in the world directed at the new hire.

Thimble Theater (August 26, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 28-30, 1940)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 25, 2023

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 1/24/03

If your skin colour falls outside of a narrow and arbitrary gradient and you hold a fake gun in sight of a police officer I can guarantee it will definitely kill somebody, Bucky.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 28-30, 1940)

In forty-three months all of them lie about their ages and go to the Pacific. Goldie loses half his body to shrapnel on Iwo Jima, the others return home shells of their former selves.
Born thirty years too soon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Noor

Please don't ask me what any of these terms mean:ohdear:
TegneHanne

This one was kinda hard to translate. In norwegian "untidy room", "untidy drawer" or "untidy closet" is a term that means "a place you put stuff that don't belong in other places" but there doesn't seem to be an english term like that.
Lunch

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

This one was kinda hard to translate. In norwegian "untidy room", "untidy drawer" or "untidy closet" is a term that means "a place you put stuff that don't belong in other places" but there doesn't seem to be an english term like that.

We have a "junk drawer," a "trash closet," and a "bonus room." That last one is actually my office and a sort of den, but it also has a giant pile of sewing crap and some unstrung ukuleles and a keyboard with no electrical plug.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 12, 1955)

Oh Gawain, you ladykiller

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Junk drawer, Junk drawer, JUNK REFRIDGERATOR! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJPbvSbPOXM

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That poor kid in the background who's never even met Goldie before this camp.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kelley and/or Parker just learned about Wordle yesterday but still feels a need to be smug about it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 25, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
are the boyzendorgs kids at like a ROTC?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I think someone might get lucky tonight.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale: a couple pages ‘cause it’s an action-heavy translation break

-

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

Peril!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/26-28/49

Archie 5/2-4/46

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/2-4/46

Jughead is the absolute best.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah I'm kind of shocked how much Jughead rules

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This one reminds me of how a cat's purr is more akin to a groan but since we associate it with just the good versions (which, ideally, we experience more often) there's a lot of stories of cats who are "happy and cuddly despite everything" when injured. Get that dog to a vet, don't take it nuzzling you as a sign of health.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gardening.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh god, luann is going to write a steamy romance novel about piro and her mum and bernice are gonna squick out to it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 8, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 6-7, 1992)

Big Nate

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 4-6, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (August 9-11, 1920)

And as a bonus from the August 10th comic's page, an installment from A.E. Hayward's Somebody's Stenog, a strip that they used to reprint in Good Old Days magazine before it shifted focus from the Greatest Generation and earlier telling stories to the Baby Boomers. It stars Miss Cam O'Flage, which has to be an ironic name seeing how she draws attention to herself.

Dok's "Hell NO, You're Not Calling Shotgun" Duck (July 21, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 6-8, 1937)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'm not complaining that the dog is unhurt, but it did appear to be completely unsecured in the backseat of a car that was in a crash. I'm just saying it's unlikely.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's slightly-extended Blueberry: It was the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, not the gunfight at the Dunhill saloon!, or the hatchet is buried... for now..., or Normally, I'd supply some text leading up to the next adventure but... well, I've done so already. See you next time!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 26, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ah yes, the old "If I point out the problems with my story, I don't have to actually fix them and nobody can criticize me for it" move.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Slice of life stories are fine and Blind Alley would be fine as one, the problem is it clearly has some sort of backstory/larger plot than the slice of life stuff & it keeps teasing it but never following up on it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Was that kid always called Orr, or is that a Catch-22... pre-reference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't even think Blind Alley is bad, and if it wants to be slice of life while having background stuff going on that's fine, that's whatever. But if he wants to do that then he doesn't need to justify it to anyone, this comic is clearly a response to the most common criticisms of his work. If he actually is writing Blind Alley this way on purpose and this is what he wants to write, then he should just ignore the critics and keep making what he wants to make. Not every creative work has to be for everyone. Making a comic like this rubs me the wrong way, and it makes me wonder if now he's unsure of how to continue the comic. Maybe he'll be the rare one where he's pointing out the flaws because he's realized "Okay, people are bothered by this, I'll jokingly point it out and shift gears and start trying to fix these things," or if this really is "I'm not a bad writer, you just don't understand what I'm doing!" We'll see, I guess.