Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

galagazombie posted:

wasn’t actually made by the Sonic devs

Yeah the developers who developed a Sonic the Hedgehog game aren't actually Sonic developers. Further more, Super Mario 2 was actually called Doki Doki Panic and Gadget from Rescue Rangers is my wa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

Is there another character whose fallen from grace as much as Sonic yet still gets games? Usually a series gets canned after only one or two clunkers. But Sonic hasn’t had a well received game since the Genesis (barring Mania, which wasn’t actually made by the Sonic devs) yet they just keep churning em out.

Master Chief :kheldragar:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Frankly, Mario? Odyssey kinda broke that streak, but there was this whole period starting on the Wii where all you got was New Super Mario Bros sequels, all of them being the most generic platformers imaginable

You're joking, right?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every 3d Mario and most 2d Mario's are bad

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Frankly, Mario? Odyssey kinda broke that streak, but there was this whole period starting on the Wii where all you got was New Super Mario Bros sequels, all of them being the most generic platformers imaginable

Galaxy 1&2 were extremely well received though? Even the first New!SMB was a huge success. I know this thread likes to have unpopular opinions on the quality of Mario games but you can’t argue they weren’t a hit with the public at large. The only one that people were generally iffy on was Sunshine. And that’s not even getting into the fact you can just slap Mario’s name on a random lacrosse game and have a good chance that people will eat it up. Sonic can’t say the same for his mainline or his spin-offs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Samus had a pretty far fall from grace; Metroid 2 and then Super Metroid came out and were both awesome, Metroid Fusion was another excellent if slightly unique variant, and then the Metroid Prime series was phenomenally successful. After that Other M was so bad that the character was forced into hypersleep, only to reawaken in the way overpriced Metroid Dread (more like Metroid poo poo THE BED am i right)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Every 3d Mario and most 2d Mario's are bad

This is indeed an unpopular opinion so I'm not going to say it doesn't belong here, but the topic at hand right now is characters who've fallen from grace, and that absolutely did not happen with any era of 2D or 3D Mario games. I'd say the closest it's ever gotten to that was Sunshine, and that was mostly because people at the time were just hungry for a Mario 64 sequel, not some weird gimmick involving a back-mounted water hose.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mario 64 is trash

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Mario 64 is trash

:yeah:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Mario is the gold standard of videogames and they always age well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mario's trying to crucify us on a cross of gold confirmed

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

QuarkJets posted:

Samus had a pretty far fall from grace; Metroid 2 and then Super Metroid came out and were both awesome, Metroid Fusion was another excellent if slightly unique variant, and then the Metroid Prime series was phenomenally successful. After that Other M was so bad that the character was forced into hypersleep, only to reawaken in the way overpriced Metroid Dread (more like Metroid poo poo THE BED am i right)

Metroid was pretty much canned at one point with that infamous Federation Force game being a new entry in the series.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I don't know if I'd call it a "fall from grace", but I don't think the general public really give a poo poo about the Street Fighter cast anymore. They were icons in the 90s.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's probably easier to be an icon when you're the only good arcade game in the local shop.

I suppose their only sin is having faced competition.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Serephina posted:

It's probably easier to be an icon when you're the only good arcade game in the local shop.

I suppose their only sin is having faced competition.

Their genre being more of a niche thing now too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Their genre being more of a niche thing now too.

Yeah instead of cool kids, nowadays the only people who play fighting games are smelly adults. (Sorry, no opinion in this post.)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah instead of cool kids, nowadays the only people who play fighting games are smelly adults. (Sorry, no opinion in this post.)

I loving suck at fighting games outside of them being a casual hangout thing, but in my experience when people are good at fighting games, they're usual some kid in expensive streetwear who doesn't give a gently caress about games but is world champion at Virtua Fighter 5 SE: Final Edition or whatever the gently caress and make the smelly guys cry pure rage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I loving suck at fighting games outside of them being a casual hangout thing, but in my experience when people are good at fighting games, they're usual some kid in expensive streetwear who doesn't give a gently caress about games but is world champion at Virtua Fighter 5 SE: Final Edition or whatever the gently caress and make the smelly guys cry pure rage.

Trap sprung.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Fighting games force 1/2 the players to be losers so they aren't very popular with today's gamers

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Fighting games suck because it's the only genre where up is still jump. We learned that was wrong back in the 80s.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

satanic splash-back posted:

Fighting games force 1/2 the players to be losers so they aren't very popular with today's gamers

I'd say it's significantly more than half the players who become losers.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fighting games require you to practice like you're learning to play an instrument and that's just too much for a video game.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Devils Affricate posted:

Fighting games suck because it's the only genre where up is still jump. We learned that was wrong back in the 80s.

to be honest this factor alone basically ruins Street Fighter and Guilty Gear. People don't realize just how often accidental jumps are the determinant of who loses and who wins

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fighting games require you to practice like you're learning to play an instrument and that's just too much for a video game.

designed by people extremely upset their younger siblings repeatedly beat them in tekken by mashing buttons

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like fighting games! :)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

X JAKK posted:

designed by people extremely upset their younger siblings repeatedly beat them in tekken by mashing buttons

My dad would paste me with Eddy Gordo mashing X and O. Unstoppable

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kntfkr posted:

I like fighting games! :)

FUIT

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

satanic splash-back posted:

Too many winners? Nowadays kids love losing 95% of the time in Battle Royales.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Is there another character whose fallen from grace as much as Sonic yet still gets games? Usually a series gets canned after only one or two clunkers. But Sonic hasn’t had a well received game since the Genesis (barring Mania, which wasn’t actually made by the Sonic devs) yet they just keep churning em out.

Doesn't quite have Sonic's legacy, but I'd put Sora from Kingdom Hearts on that boat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tetrabor posted:

Too many winners? Nowadays kids love losing 95% of the time in Battle Royales.

They should play dota so they can lose 100% of the time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lose their self respect, you mean

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

lose their self respect, you mean

Can't lose what you never had.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tobal No 1 was the best fightin ganem

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bushido Blade is better than Tobal. Tobal is better than a lot though. The worst fighting game that people really like is Super Smash Brothers.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My dad would paste me with Eddy Gordo mashing X and O. Unstoppable

When Tekken 3 was hot poo poo, I became pretty good with Xaiyou as an anti Eddie Gordo character. My friends were pissed, they loved using him.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kntfkr posted:

Bushido Blade is better than Tobal. Tobal is better than a lot though. The worst fighting game that people really like is Super Smash Brothers.

I've never played a Smash Brother. I shower and use deodorant. I don't even own a trilby!

e: I just realized it's been 24-25 years since I played Tobal No. 1. Where the gently caress did the time go? Did Playstations really exist 25 years ago?!?!? What's going on1!!!!!!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't played a fighting game since Mortal Kombat 2 but this one knows that D'vorah is cool and bug people are cool.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I liked the fighting game and the weird little dungeon crawler in Ehrgeiz

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting the $99 version of SF6. I want all future characters and outfits be readily available to me for its decade-long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Squaresoft used to make good games.