Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ante posted:

It might have been slightly higher speed, but yeah, compare to Witch Doctor's legitimately high speed stuff, where you can see the whole frame wobbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCuKa_efyY&t=81s

Shooting in high speed isn't an easy task and likely not viable for a large arena like the Battlebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I have no idea how it works but I feel like 480FPS or maybe even 1000FPS might be workable. I guess the main problem is you'd need more than one camera to cover the arena properly.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It totally depends on the strategy you go with. I'm sure there are plenty of 480FPS cameras that are capable of three minutes of footage.

For the ultra high speed stuff, they can shoot continuously, and then when something exciting happens, you hit a button and it saves the last few seconds of footage it shot.

Yes, this does mean one angle and one person, to capture a 3 second event that happens maybe every third fight. Still might be worth it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Slomoguys had a video on this.

https://youtu.be/_lZvF-YyP0s

Tldw: poo poo is complicated

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The live destruct-a-thon shows start in Las Vegas on the 3rd. Battlebots posted some pics of the army of bots for it, so here they are. Includes Nightmare which is cool.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's beautiful, seeing them in their natural environment

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
You've got to hope they threw the teams a bunch of money and said "we need five please".

I wonder if they get to keep what ever's left afterwards...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure they got paid pretty good for the show. Even using cheaper parts it's probably a pretty expensive deal building 5 copies of your Battlebot.

Possibly it will change, but the bots in the photos also seem to not have any sponsor decals.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed. You've got to assume they weren't allowed them as Discovery has paid for them to be built.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
looks like they've standardized on tires (and probably a lot of components) to make repairs easy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NHRL is back on Saturday with a new bots only event (probably a lot of kit bots, but also maybe some fun bots). There is 101 3lb bots entered...

They are however changing their format this year and there is a placement fight into a single elimination bracket. https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/2023_Tournament_Format

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Which ones are Battlebots designed? Diablo and that wicked-looking axe thing? The aesthetics on them are on-point.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fight card for tomorrow! Monsoon and Black Dragon should be a fun fight. Monsoon might be the bot to ruin Black Dragons perfect record of never being knocked out...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo, another bot with Huge wheels

This one is apparently based on a beetleweight bot with the same name. It looks difficult to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBrgacJ_1c

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Quantum is my favorite bot and I highly support this trend of giving it easily biteable non-verts.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I want to see Horizon shine, but I'm not convinced Shreddit Bro will remain intact long enough to see it happen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I want to see Horizon shine, but I'm not convinced Shreddit Bro will remain intact long enough to see it happen.

I was just thinking that Horizon was cool-looking, but likely to be in parts by the end of three minutes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Horizon is a cool looking bot, but I imagine it will have the same rookie bot blues a lot of teams with unique spinning weapons have and not been able to actually give it a full test run. Team Shreddit Bro has 2 seasons under their belts with the not good Pain Train, I kind of expect they will be able to pull out a win here.

PostNouveau posted:

ooo, another bot with Huge wheels

This one is apparently based on a beetleweight bot with the same name. It looks difficult to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBrgacJ_1c

Yea Starchild is an NHRL based bot and also part of Riperoni's team. Kind of seems like that's the strategy for a lot of teams this year, pairing up with another team.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Skorpios vs. Jackpot aftermath video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUm5rziwsR4

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Whiplash v. Hypershock could be an amazing fight if Whiplash figured out what happened to their bot in their first fight.

Also: Haven't seen Beta in a minute. Were they even in the last couple of seasons?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Whiplash v. Hypershock could be an amazing fight if Whiplash figured out what happened to their bot in their first fight.

Also: Haven't seen Beta in a minute. Were they even in the last couple of seasons?

The British teams haven't been able to compete the last couple seasons because of Covid. It's why Monsoon & Quantum have also been missing. Beta was able to compete in season 5 in 2020 though. Where they got all the hate for not using their weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol bad luck for Emulsifier

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol bad luck for Emulsifier

:emptyquote:

It looked like they were trying to move but were going nowhere, I can only assume they were high centred on something.

Edit: Just saw on Reddit from a team member, apparently if you look at the footage closely you'll see a bit of debris stuck to a magnet on the bottom of the bot.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 27, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Emulsifier wtf

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What an utterly boring fight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kraken moved to a vert booooo

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

that episode was uhh

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol saw this and had to clip it

https://i.imgur.com/phFxuLX.mp4

feel free to stick it in the OP

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Black Dragon-Monsoon: Pretty good fight. Monsoon had a shot when Black Dragon was upside down, if only they'd managed to get to the wheels. Not that I was rooting against Black Dragon, but when they start talking about never getting KO'd, well you start wanting to see it.

Emulsifier-Malice: lol the loving carnage. Emulsifier might be a pretty good bot one day but they've got some gremlins during the rookie campaign.

Starchild-Overhaul: Interesting idea with this bot design. I don't know that the issue is the difficulty of driving like I thought it would be, but rather that it is not capable of holding its opponents in place. Sawblaze has those forks and often aims to pin its opponents to the wall to deliver blows. Every single time Starchild hits, it glances off.

I mean, rookie bot and all, but losing to a perennial punching bag is a very bad sign.

Gruff-Quantum: I feel like I finally understand the concept here. Instead of grabbing and slamming, just bite bite bite until you disconnect some vital components. Grapplers and slammers are bottom-of-the-barrel bots, but this one might be able to get some upsets.

Kraken-Beta: Tough challenge for new Kraken because Beta is such a loving tank. Beta smacking away with that busted hammer was hilarious.

Shreddit Bro-Horizon: lol both bots broken right out of the gate. Horizon looks like it's perfectly engineered to get high-centered in new and exciting ways.

Hypershock-Whiplash: Good lord Will Bales, just build a self-righter and become an A-tier bot.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That parody of the ASPCA commercial but for minibots had me absolutely dying at the beginning of tonight's episode.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 27, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Starchild was interesting, but I'm not sure that the concept of a thwackbot scales particularly well. Combining a thwackbot with a hammer saw is different, but I'm not sure you'll ever have contact long enough to make use of both components.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hammer saws aren't saws, they're just flywheels on a stick. They don't need prolonged contact like a saw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Hammer saws aren't saws, they're just flywheels on a stick. They don't need prolonged contact like a saw.

I dunno man Starchild had like a dozen glancing blows that did barely anything and lost a unanimous decision to maybe the worst bot in the field

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Great Beer posted:

They don't need prolonged contact, but Starchild was bouncing off immediately. You still need enough time for the spinner to dig in. The reaction against the full mass of the thwackbot attack is directly opposed to idea of the hammer saw digging in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I chalk it up to rookie bot and first time driving in the Battlebox. Not a design that's going to come out and be good in it's first fight, or even season most likely.

Although Starchild is at least a bot that they could have driven and tested before Battlebots (unlike Horizon most likely), it's likely on concrete and not steel plates.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sirotan posted:

That parody of the ASPCA commercial but for minibots had me absolutely dying at the beginning of tonight's episode.

It was 100% spot on lol

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Kraken-Beta: Tough challenge for new Kraken because Beta is such a loving tank. Beta smacking away with that busted hammer was hilarious.
As dumb as it looked I think it won them the fight as it showed Kraken's weapon was dead and theirs, even though ineffective, was still going so they got the damage points.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 27, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kraken is pretty much aliexpress sawblaze now. Same design but without the forks to control the opponent.

I still like Kraken though, hope they get some wins at least.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno man Starchild had like a dozen glancing blows that did barely anything and lost a unanimous decision to maybe the worst bot in the field

This is a problem with any vertical without a feeder wedge. Speed adjustments and tooth profile will make a tremendous difference, they just have to get it dialed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Starchild was interesting, but I'm not sure that the concept of a thwackbot scales particularly well. Combining a thwackbot with a hammer saw is different, but I'm not sure you'll ever have contact long enough to make use of both components.

Yeah, part of the problem with scaling is that the bots at this weight class are just gonna be way better armored. Overhaul isn't exactly a tank and I think the damage amounted to the nose getting chipped and maybe a couple of other glancing cuts.

Starchild is just never going to have full control of itself and the opponent when it 'fires' the weapon which also in turn makes it difficult to hit anything.