Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/ap-hill-remains-moved-to-virginia-hometown-january-23-2023

quote:

CULPEPER, Va. -- The remains of a Confederate general unearthed from beneath a monument at the center of a Virginia intersection have been reinterred at a cemetery in his hometown.

Last month, Richmond, which served as the Confederacy’s capital for most of the Civil War, removed the statue of Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill and the general's remains buried beneath after a court battle. On Saturday, hundreds of people, including Confederate reenactors, gathered to pay their respects to the general at a ceremony in Fairview Cemetery in Culpeper, Hill’s hometown, The Free Lance-Star reported.

The coffin draped in an old Virginia flag was brought into the cemetery on a mule-drawn wagon followed by a riderless horse. After a eulogy, song and prayers, there was a 21-gun salute and three rounds were fired from a cannon.

Richmond removed other Confederate monuments amid the racial justice protests that followed George Floyd’s killing in 2020. But efforts to remove the Hill statue, which sat in the middle of a busy intersection, were more complicated because the general’s remains were interred beneath it about 25 years after his death at the end of the Civil War.

In October, a judge ruled that city officials — not the descendants — would get to decide where the Hill statue went next. City officials have said the removed statue will be stored in an undisclosed location and later given to the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia. Attorneys for Hill’s indirect descendants agreed his remains would be moved to a cemetery in Culpeper, near where Hill was born.

Many Confederate statues in Virginia were erected decades after the Civil War, during the Jim Crow era, when states imposed new segregation laws, and during the “Lost Cause” movement, when historians and others tried to depict the South’s rebellion as a fight to defend states’ rights, not slavery. Some Confederate tributes remain in Richmond, but they’re on state land, including on Capitol Square surrounding the Virginia State Capitol building.

Ambrose Powell Hill died days before the war’s end in 1865, according to a timeline provided in court documents during a legal battle over the removal of the statue. His remains were interred in a family cemetery in Chesterfield County, according to a city petition to move the remains. The remains were moved in 1867 to Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, where they remained until 1891, when they were moved to the spot where the monument was unveiled the following year.

They kicked his dead rear end out of Richmond.

Also it's not the 4th reinternment, it's the 3rd reinternment, and the 4th internment.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 16:34 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh man AP Hill? that motherfucker keeps showing up in all the Eastern theater battles, incredible pain in the rear end

gently caress him and the horse he rode in on

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Should have just tossed him in a landfill. Between the dirty diapers and asbestos.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The year is the same for a whole year, you don't need to announce it first. What kind of dumb baby country needs to be told what year it is first?

Bro do you even sort?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

support Israel

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/ap-hill-remains-moved-to-virginia-hometown-january-23-2023

They kicked his dead rear end out of Richmond.

Also it's not the 4th reinternment, it's the 3rd reinternment, and the 4th internment.

May his bones never find rest.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just for my own emphasis- hosed up thing Americans* do: fondly remember slavery

*whites only

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Moonies started in South Korea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The year is the same for a whole year, you don't need to announce it first. What kind of dumb baby country needs to be told what year it is first?

a computer is dumb enough to be told what year it is every time a battery dies or the connection cuts.

YYYYMMDD is in numerical order for easy sorting

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

creating south korea

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

so?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

loving up dates. It's 28th January not January 28th you god drat morons

gently caress I'm so angry

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Daylight savings time

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
homeowner associations

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

this one split off

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

War and Pieces posted:

this one split off

But would the cult exist without the koreans or would they just be southern baptists?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
open carry

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

i like that the gun church still made the olds zip tie their triggers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zodium posted:

they put their flag on products. i got a pair of boots that had little american flags sewn on.

americans love flags, we that put that poo poo on everything

we even send kids overseas to terrorize black/b rown people and come back as flags

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
their census uses an essentially unchanged 18th-century system of racial classification

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Communist Thoughts posted:

loving up dates. It's 28th January not January 28th you god drat morons

gently caress I'm so angry

*January 28

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

americans love eating eggs and drinking milk. it’s all their media talks about

egg and milk prices have gone up because corporations realized they can blame everything on the supply chain or some kind of animal disease. :qq: :qq: :qq:

grow up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

americans love having a cartoon clown go on tv to sell sodas and highly fatty foods to kids

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

americans love having a cartoon clown go on tv to sell sodas and highly fatty foods to kids

Related:

quote:

Between 1970 and 1998, the number of different types of breakfast cereals in the U.S. more than doubled, from about 160 to around 340; as of 2012, there were roughly 4,945 different types

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but chex has corn, wheat and rice

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

god bless america

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also branding literally hundreds of products as containing oreos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cookies n cream flavor ice cream

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress u buddy

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

gradenko_2000 posted:

No, this belongs in the "cool things" thread.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the cookies is fine but the n cream is just western excess and decadence

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's not enough types of cereal

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Presto posted:

No, this belongs in the "cool things" thread.

don't worry, already took care of it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whenever I go to mexico I always get cream cheese ice cream, I've never seen it in the states

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

i remember being so deliriously happy when reese's pieces peanut butter puffs came out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

i remember being so deliriously happy when reese's pieces peanut butter puffs came out

captain crunch pb is better

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
They make apple jacks which don't taste like apples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The most hosed thing ever seen is an American driving to work