Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's kind of a kick in the dick that stone construction only becomes available at Iron tier. Should be bronze, if not earlier imo. Or maybe with some fancier pieces with higher metal tier upgrades on the stone cutter or something.

And god help anyone who starts building before discovering core wood like we did the first time through :v:

Those are just excuses to rebuild your base or build a new one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's kind of a kick in the dick that stone construction only becomes available at Iron tier. Should be bronze, if not earlier imo. Or maybe with some fancier pieces with higher metal tier upgrades on the stone cutter or something.

And god help anyone who starts building before discovering core wood like we did the first time through :v:

It's also super lame that darkwood doesn't unlock until the plains, when you're almost done with the available content.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Just felt like I needed to show my genius hard at work

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mooktastical posted:

It's also super lame that darkwood doesn't unlock until the plains, when you're almost done with the available content.

See I like this, because it encourages me to venture out into the plains hella early to start collecting tar :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

its beautiful lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Is that an AT-AT?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ran into my first two star Seeker. This new Carapace armor should be able to bl... NOPE!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Hi, just got this on sale on Steam. This is me!

:smith:

e: I invaded the black forest and set up in an abandoned tower with multiple stories, not realizing there was a graydwarf nest within arrowshot. I wasn't too bothered at first by all the fighting, but once I managed to thin out their numbers and destroy the nest a troll showed up...and started breaking walls and floors on my second story converted fortress :gonk:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2023

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I played Valheim at launch with a friend for a solid 80 hours and had a blast. After dropping the game until Mistlands released we then started a brand new world right from scratch, played another 120 hours, and still had a blast! More of a blast, really. This is a hell of a game. Queen was a real meat grinder of an encounter that took us a solid 25 minutes.

On the whole I really liked the Mistlands for being probably the most meaty and complicated biome to progress through. I liked that there were multiple discrete steps to progression, as opposed to how earlier biomes were mostly just finding the resource du jour and then making use of it. By the time you've got refined eitr running you've already been in mistlands for a long, long time.

That does lead, however, to probably my second-biggest criticism of the biome because it means that magic is stuck right at the very end of the current game and that poo poo is way too much fun to put there. I would have loved to have some skeleton buddies to go with my icicle machine gun while I was actually exploring the biome instead of at the very end.

The biggest criticism is that there are too many Gjalls. I hear there were even more Gjalls at launch and I bet that was miserable as gently caress. Gjalls are terrifying the first time you fight them, tense and engaging the next few times, and incredibly boring from like #10 onwards. The only time I actually didn't want to play any more Valheim during this seed was a moment where I had to drop farming stuff at the base to kill a Gjall, went back to my farm, and immediately heard another Gjall off in the opposite direction.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hi, just got this on sale on Steam. This is me!

:smith:

e: I invaded the black forest and set up in an abandoned tower with multiple stories, not realizing there was a graydwarf nest within arrowshot. I wasn't too bothered at first by all the fighting, but once I managed to thin out their numbers and destroy the nest a troll showed up...and started breaking walls and floors on my second story converted fortress :gonk:

I had a troll take out the wall I had placed all of my chests against in one of my first worlds right after I had moved into a bigger place and had just finished organizing everything. I absolutely hate organizing storage in crafting games so picking stuff up off of the lawn to do it for a second time was soul crushing. Once you know how to deal with them they are pretty fun to fight and can even help you out.

Sometimes I wish I could forget this game so I could re-live moments like:
"Why is that patch of blue sky over there moving?"
*Thud*
"What? Uh..."
*Thud*
*Thud*
"Oh no."

:derp:

caleb fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 25, 2023

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Everyone posting pics of their palaces but this is what mine looks like as well.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, Bonemass was a very silly fight. Make yourself a mace, eat a lot of health food, drink poison resistance, and then: run up to him, stand and deliver for a few seconds, run away, heal, repeat until dead (not very long). Things that helped: (1) being in fully upgraded iron; (2) making a stone house in the swamp to hunt from; (3) Bonemass getting stuck in the trees about a hundred feet from my house.

I made that house in a surtling camp just for the lazy permafire, so I was actually hoping lure him there in the hope that he’d burn to death. It worked on an abomination quite well, but I’m not sure it would’ve worked on the boss; he really does take next to nothing from anything except maces, and maybe he would’ve just trashed my base.

I do wish there was something in the game to suggest using maces, though? It’s not like you don’t fight a million oozes already, and they don’t seem to be conspicuously strong/weak against anything. I tried a few things (swords, arrows of different kinds) and couldn’t seem to do damage faster than he healed, so I just gave up and checked a guide.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

rjmccall posted:

I do wish there was something in the game to suggest using maces, though? It’s not like you don’t fight a million oozes already, and they don’t seem to be conspicuously strong/weak against anything. I tried a few things (swords, arrows of different kinds) and couldn’t seem to do damage faster than he healed, so I just gave up and checked a guide.
But there is?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Oozes are not only vulnerable to blunt damage, they are resistant to all other types of damage you feasibly have access to at that point.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Dwesa posted:

But there is?

I'm not gonna craft the full arsenal and carry it round to test. I'm just gonna have the wiki up on the 2nd screen.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The trick to making any house look more pleasing to the eye in a building game is to give the roof a overhang and features that stick out so that it doesn't just look like a flat square with a triangle on top, drawn by little Jimmy, age 4.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ErKeL posted:

I'm not gonna craft the full arsenal and carry it round to test. I'm just gonna have the wiki up on the 2nd screen.
If you carry basic tools, you already have all types of physical damage. Bows and pickaxes deal piercing damage, axes deal slashing damage, blunt damage is somewhat rarer, but you can use your fists.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The trick to building a house is start with a good foundation, frame it out, and frame the roof separately. Going out a meter from the walls makes the roof more realistic with soffits and junk

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

The trick to building a house is start with a good foundation, frame it out, and frame the roof separately. Going out a meter from the walls makes the roof more realistic with soffits and junk
Going out a meter is a little less necessary with the darkwood roofs since they come with a built in overhang which is nice.

I think more the general answer is "texture and depth".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwesa posted:

If you carry basic tools, you already have all types of physical damage. Bows and pickaxes deal piercing damage, axes deal slashing damage, blunt damage is somewhat rarer, but you can use your fists.

The basic club is OK for a surprisingly long while because you can upgrade it heavily and it does blunt damage.

Similarly troll leather and finewood bow.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Dwesa posted:

You can choose to craft a club 30 seconds into starting the game. You use it to kill that greyling that is bumbling around you, or you do it when you notice that using the stone axe to fight and cut lumber breaks it faster. You don't have a roofed workbench so stuff breaking is annoying.

You notice the club kills greylings fine, but then you run into a random dolmen with a skeleton and after the initial fear you see it totally wrecks them, also your damage is now yellow.

That's when you hopefully learn about blunt damage. If you don't then yeah, you'll suffer with Bonemass and the swamp hours later.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

caleb posted:

I had a troll take out the wall I had placed all of my chests against in one of my first worlds right after I had moved into a bigger place and had just finished organizing everything. I absolutely hate organizing storage in crafting games so picking stuff up off of the lawn to do it for a second time was soul crushing. Once you know how to deal with them they are pretty fun to fight and can even help you out.

Sometimes I wish I could forget this game so I could re-live moments like:
"Why is that patch of blue sky over there moving?"
*Thud*
"What? Uh..."
*Thud*
*Thud*
"Oh no."

:derp:

I thought I could hide and he would go away, like I’d done with the greydwarves. I went upstairs and crouched, then suddenly there was a LOT of shaking.

He didn’t forget :gonk:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Oozes are not only vulnerable to blunt damage, they are resistant to all other types of damage you feasibly have access to at that point.

Okay, well, I guess I didn’t notice because they still died to swords pretty easily. The delta between how many swings a draugr takes and how many swings an ooze takes is not high.

But yes, I should pay more attention to damage color, lesson learned.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wow, the skeletons got rude. I was inside my newly-built house building some inside stuff and thought I heard a few bow shots outside. By the time I got out there and found out who was shooting, a skeleton archer had shot 2 of my tamed boars.

I guess it took the nearest valid target since it couldn’t get line of sight to me? Dick move either way :laffo:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New patch coming soon. :toot:

https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1618564640233099265

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

quote:

* Ballista config targets
* Wisp torches not primary targets

Those seem big to me. I was apprehensive about the Mistlands after the early comments in the thread, but I think they are fine mostly. The one thing that's been a struggle is how to build any kind of permeate presence there. The old build earth walls trick isn't effective with basically everything being airborne in the Biome. A bank of Ballista are actually decent at handling Gjall but woa don't get down range of them. I've taken to putting wisp torches on stacks of black marble columns to give them any defense in a valley I've tried to clear out but that is only marginally effective. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this makes base building in the Mistlands a bit more viable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The flashing light setting makes me wish there was some in game brightness slider or "make the darkness just a little less dark" option. Or some option to turn down the environmental shading/fog effect in places like the swamp down just a bit. It's kind of funny looking into a swamp from another biome before moving into it and losing like half visibility.

Like I sort of get there's soft mechanical stuff to push you into using torches or the headlamp, but it kind of just amounts to "I'd rather just make it day or afk until day"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea I feel like they made night darker? Is it a RTX thing maybe?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Oxyclean posted:

afk until day"

This is actually almost what I do sometimes, but... idk how to express this, but "in a positive way"? And not actually AFKing.
As in, I put up a campfire in some sheltered spot, sit down next to it and just wait out the night while browsing forums or chatting on Discord or something on my 2nd monitor. It's a chill way to take a break.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The new build piece has to be a bigger wisplight lantern like the ones in the dvergr bases right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think it's always been like this for me since I got an IPS monitor. Darkness became a problem in a lot of games but I was able to mitigate it in most with some settings. When I first got Valhiem I tried loving around with reshade but I don't think it helped much or I couldn't really figure out reshade.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
The darkness gets real bad right after nightfall and just before the dawn, but the rest of the time i feel that it's mitigated by the glow of the big tree. I do like how things are hidden in the shadows though.

I don't get the complaints about building in the mistlands though, black marble and window grills make for a pretty cool building, and seekers coming in though the roof hatch give it spice. It's pretty defensible still while still leaving challenges for defense.

Can't wait till they fix ballistae, though I'm not convinced they are very useful even when they work right. Anytime firing from the top of a tower has a hard time hitting a gjall's weak spot. It mostly seems to just knock them around.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

drewhead posted:

Those seem big to me. I was apprehensive about the Mistlands after the early comments in the thread, but I think they are fine mostly. The one thing that's been a struggle is how to build any kind of permeate presence there. The old build earth walls trick isn't effective with basically everything being airborne in the Biome. A bank of Ballista are actually decent at handling Gjall but woa don't get down range of them. I've taken to putting wisp torches on stacks of black marble columns to give them any defense in a valley I've tried to clear out but that is only marginally effective. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this makes base building in the Mistlands a bit more viable.

you put the black marble on the torch, burying it. it still clears the fog.

Ravenfood posted:

The new build piece has to be a bigger wisplight lantern like the ones in the dvergr bases right?

door

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Good because the first thing that seems to die when we take over a tower is the dverger door

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

restructuring the base so i have smelting stuff closer to the water. added a gate house, round house, and another house with lots of dormers just cause. Looking for a new spot for the farm. I have some hired farm hands helping me out clearing land, mining, and otherwise *herzogishly* dewilding this wretched place

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

restructuring the base so i have smelting stuff closer to the water. added a gate house, round house, and another house with lots of dormers just cause. Looking for a new spot for the farm. I have some hired farm hands helping me out clearing land, mining, and otherwise *herzogishly* dewilding this wretched place

Looking better every time.

If you want a fairly low effort way to improve the look and feel of your compound, landscape the whole place.

Even with just the vanilla options of grass, stone path, fences, and tree planting you can make it feel so much more pleasant with an hour of planning and modifying. Sprinkle in some torch stands, gateways, etc in logical places and it'll be a real village.

Then of course with mods you can take it up a couple more notches if you feel like it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

for sure.. its on the list. I really like those stone pathways you can build now. so much to do. I'm considering the plant everything mod but I'm not sure how much it messes with the other players' clients

my buddy and i are fighting over the iron, he wants to upgrade our teams gear and i just want to build greydwarf torches haha

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

for sure.. its on the list. I really like those stone pathways you can build now. so much to do. I'm considering the plant everything mod but I'm not sure how much it messes with the other players' clients

my buddy and i are fighting over the iron, he wants to upgrade our teams gear and i just want to build greydwarf torches haha

Plant Everything is fully client side and I haven't seen any issues with the several other players in my server who don't use it.

Iron is indeed the eternal struggle.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
E:F;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Since we're talking beauty tips, here's something I did to spice up the wooden roofing and to cover that pesky stone transition point.

I started with a nice octagonal window design on the outside wooden wall, and then on the inner side of the stone, I put down the diagonal pieces one unit down and to the side.

Then, turning off snapping, I filled the gap with wood beams to make it look like concentric octagons.

After that, I just filled in the other sides to complete the effect. The upper diagonals basically had to be faked with beams, since there aren't 1 by 1 45 degree walls.

The finished product: