Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yeah, but the character drama should be good

E: It doesn't help that it feels like it's sucking air away from the more dramatic stuff happening because that stuff feels underwritten and underdeveloped. Whether it's true to the writing process or not it feels like they tried to do too many half-rear end stories instead of focusing on their most compelling threads, and I think most people would be happy to excise most of Karen corpo intrigue for a better baked version of the Mars stuff and the poorly established and weirdly motivated terror bombers.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Sivart13 posted:

I had been assuming with NASA's superior moon technology they had invented some de-aging serum and that was what Ed was injecting into his butt

I thought the injecting-stuff-into-the-butt scene might have some kind of payoff (maybe it did and I forgot), but I guess it was just character building, or something.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Taear posted:

Man I just do not get why people are so annoyed about the Karen storyline [...] character drama is important
no it's bad

When Ed's son dies while he's on the moon, thats character drama that tells us something about Karen and Ed and gets you to feel emotions and have thoughts

Karen screwing Danny while Ed is in space is a retread, which could maybe be interesting if Danny was being built into a character we cared about but unfortunately Danny just sucks, like the absolute worst

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rental Sting posted:

I thought the injecting-stuff-into-the-butt scene might have some kind of payoff (maybe it did and I forgot), but I guess it was just character building, or something.

It was just standard HRT tbh. It was really just meant to show that he was getting old and needed to medicate to stay in the game.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
She's going to be Eda by next season

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rental Sting posted:

Yeah, I don't know if it was just there to remind us that he's getting old or if it was going to have a payoff.

I wonder where we're going with the cast next season. The show hasn't done a great job at introducing new, younger characters.

- Danny seems irredeemable
- Dev is a shithead and I feel like his story is done
- Jimmy is a double-shithead and I hope we never see him again (but we will)
- Half of the season 3 Mars crew is dead, and the minor characters never got any backstory

Which leaves... Aleida and Kelly?

Out of the older folks... It's ~8 years later.

- Ellen is out of office. If she wasn't impeached/disgraced, she'll probably go back to NASA in some capacity.

- Margo's time as a main character seems done, but I won't be surprised if she somehow becomes the head of Roscosmos.

- Danielle will probably retire to a desk job, maybe as the head of the Astronaut Office.

- Ed will be the first to step on Europa at a spry 75 years old.

- Everyone else is dead.

The show needs some new blood and didn't introduce any during Season 3.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Man I just do not get why people are so annoyed about the Karen storyline
Someone posted a big thing a few pages back about why it makes sense (and it does!) and character drama is important in shows like this you can't JUST have space stuff, it gets too dry

I'm not saying the show should be all space drama. Character drama is important, but I think the character should be interesting. Karen just isn't that interesting. She was much, much better in season 1 because she was naturally a part of the story. Having her buy the Outpost was a good way to have her around but the loving Danny thing really seemed to come out of nowhere and seemed pretty out of character. Maybe Ed crash landing over the ocean and Kelly joining the Navy drove her to do something that would get her out of her current circumstances but that wasn't really clearly set up . It just seemed out of character and a way to keep her in the story. Came off like the writers had no real way to keep her in the story or have her anything of consequence , she just banged Danny because there needed to be more drama. She also seems to be a main focus where there are more interesting characters out. I would watch an entire show of blind Molly Cobb going around and yelling at people. That would also mean more Wayne.

Also the old age make up is terrible . 60ish year old people have wrinkles, not just gray hair. Ed's is pretty bad too. They both move like 40 year old people, not people pushing 70. Maybe Ron Moore has a weird bad make up fetish, all the " old" people look like fat Lee Adama from season 4 of BSG. Masherali Ali and Stephen Dorf had the best " young people playing old people" because in addition to the make up, the also moved like 20 or so years have passed. It's like a reverse Deniro in the Irishman, where they de aged him to look 25 but he still moved like a 70 year old.

It's not the actress, she's really good in everything else I've seen her in. There's only so much an actor can do with a boring character. It's the writer's fault for not having a more interesting reason for her to be involved in all the drama.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The later Karen stuff just doesn't really... Go anywhere. Similarly, the show didn't really do anything interesting with Big Love Musk, but I suppose him being an actual supervillain would've involved a lot of bad writing, too. The Danny stuff seems messed up just for the sake of being messed up.

And we know the show can have good character drama! Molly vs. Margo, Margo confronting Wernher von Braun, the season 1 drama with Ed's family and whether Karen should tell him, or not tell him, because he's out in space and can't really respond to a family tragedy the way a person in usual circumstances would, or at least theoretically could. These are interesting themes that still somehow revolve around the "space stuff", Karen loving Danny out of nowhere is just bizarre.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

The show needs some new blood and didn't introduce any during Season 3.

uh someone forgot about the martian baby

if you're born in orbit around the planet i guess you're technically a space baby even cooler

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Owlbear Camus posted:

uh someone forgot about the martian baby

Pretty sure they were thinking about Danny too /obviousjoke

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Predicting a major face turn for Danny. The last we see of him he is atoning for his past murders at the Mars prison camp.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rappaport posted:

Karen loving Danny out of nowhere is just bizarre.

Maybe I’m some kind of defective person but “got high and had a fling” seems like a thing people do an awful lot even if it’s a big mistake.

This is not to defend the later Danny plot which sucks. A more interesting route to take it would’ve been to take a sober and honest look at the damage Karen did to Danny. Maybe that’s what they thought they were doing by making him into a creep, idk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well yeah there’s having a fling and fuckin your dead sons best friend who you’ve known since they were like 8.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rental Sting posted:

Predicting a major face turn for Danny. The last we see of him he is atoning for his past murders at the Mars prison camp.

idk iirc there’s a literal chekhov’s gun buried outside his prison

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Maybe I’m some kind of defective person but “got high and had a fling” seems like a thing people do an awful lot even if it’s a big mistake.

This is not to defend the later Danny plot which sucks. A more interesting route to take it would’ve been to take a sober and honest look at the damage Karen did to Danny. Maybe that’s what they thought they were doing by making him into a creep, idk.

Like MarcusSA said, Karen's choice of bedmate is the weirdness here. It's just a very strange choice of plot-line for a show about the Cold War and having space adventures. If Karen had hosed, say, Big Love or literally any other astronaut, that's a much more, erm, grounded way of addressing her hang-ups about being Ed's doormat for years, or whatever the Hell the reasons behind Karen's actions are supposed to be.

I'm sorry if this comes off as being a prude, that's not really my reasoning here. I think. :ohdear:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Gonna take a bold and daring position here that it is bad to gently caress children even if you're drunk

In fact I would suggest not getting children drunk either

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't he home from the Navy? He was an adult

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's fine to get your dead son's best friend drunk and gently caress him as long as he's 18+

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also the old age make up is terrible . 60ish year old people have wrinkles, not just gray hair. Ed's is pretty bad too. They both move like 40 year old people, not people pushing 70. Maybe Ron Moore has a weird bad make up fetish, all the " old" people look like fat Lee Adama from season 4 of BSG. Masherali Ali and Stephen Dorf had the best " young people playing old people" because in addition to the make up, the also moved like 20 or so years have passed. It's like a reverse Deniro in the Irishman, where they de aged him to look 25 but he still moved like a 70 year old.

Considering how many times over the years I've heard griping about old age makeup, I feel like "good" old age makeup is the exception and not the norm.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I thought the old age makeup in general has been pretty good, noting that it is very difficult to do right and I've very rarely seen it done any better. Season 2 especially. I think season 3 Karen was perhaps the least convincing, but you could argue works with her still keeping young at heart / Danny lusting gilf entrepreneur character.

I thought Margot / Ed and others aging up has been great.

Speaking of which, season 2 Gordo was incredible. Did that actor put a whole bunch of weight on for the role or was that a very good fatsuit? I could have sworn he just packed on the pounds, but then he had an equivalent of the BSG fat Lee Adama stepping out of the shower and suddenly he's cut scene.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Michael Dorman put on all that weight and then lost it. Definitely watch Patriot if you haven't already.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

Michael Dorman put on all that weight and then lost it. Definitely watch Patriot if you haven't already.

I loved BSG which is what got me into this show, having the Patriot guy in it was just a beautiful cherry on top

I'm definitely going to finish the third season, watching Ellen's husband get Mannica Lewinsky's is going to be great. I would have loved to see the SNL skit of Phil Hartman as Clinton just hitting on Ellen at their debates.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

For an actor from New Zealand, he really plays a convincing American astronaut guy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wafflecopper posted:

it's fine to get your dead son's best friend drunk and gently caress him as long as he's 18+

Right but the question here isn't whether Karen did something morally correct, it's just whether she did something implausible, and people make really loving stupid decisions while drunk and or high all the time.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bawfuls posted:

-it feels like it’s taking up space that could have been used by characters they introduced in season 2 but then killed or abandoned

Yeah, very bad choice to waste all this time on boring geriatric drama and danny while tossing out the s2 characters who seemed like they were going to be the next generation of leaders. If the beginning of season 4 doesn't involve a major course correction I'm probably out

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Right but the question here isn't whether Karen did something morally correct, it's just whether she did something implausible, and people make really loving stupid decisions while drunk and or high all the time.

Also didn't they sleep together when it looked like nuclear war was imminent?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

General Battuta posted:

Really? Like what, pray tell?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_West_Airlines_Flight_556

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

One guy got so drunk he ordered a nuke launch and Kissinger had to talk the joint chiefs out of it until he sobered up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Taear posted:

Man I just do not get why people are so annoyed about the Karen storyline
Someone posted a big thing a few pages back about why it makes sense (and it does!) and character drama is important in shows like this you can't JUST have space stuff, it gets too dry

It leans super hard into the explicitly parental relationship Karen has with Danny and I hate incest fetish poo poo shoehorned into an otherwise OK story, and there was so loving much of it

And it's not even finished yet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rental Sting posted:

For an actor from New Zealand, he really plays a convincing American astronaut guy.

Yeah I enjoyed his performance immensely and I really liked his character arc. His kids finding him trying to break himself of his claustrophobia and his shame and eventual redemption and reconciliation with his wife were all great stuff, for me he was the backbone of the show.

And yeah his physical transformations were amazing

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I enjoyed his performance immensely and I really liked his character arc. His kids finding him trying to break himself of his claustrophobia and his shame and eventual redemption and reconciliation with his wife were all great stuff, for me he was the backbone of the show.

And yeah his physical transformations were amazing

Honestly, the best arc of the series. Really elevated the show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I stuck with it because now the show is going full on silly. I thought mrs. Robinson space entrepreneur Karen was a stretch but apparently North Korea sent a single manned probe to Mars in 1994 and didn't tell anyone one.

I know this doesn't matter and isn't really relevant to the story, but if Ellen beat Bill Clinton in 1992 does that mean she primaried Bush Sr.? Maybe it was in the first episode montage and I just forgot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Glad I stuck with it because now the show is going full on silly. I thought mrs. Robinson space entrepreneur Karen was a stretch but apparently North Korea sent a single manned probe to Mars in 1994 and didn't tell anyone one.

I know this doesn't matter and isn't really relevant to the story, but if Ellen beat Bill Clinton in 1992 does that mean she primaried Bush Sr.? Maybe it was in the first episode montage and I just forgot.

Bush Sr. wasn't Vice President under Reagan in For All Mankind, as the IRL 1976 Reagan campaign had Richard Schweiker as his pick. Schweiker runs against Democrat Gary Hart in 1984, where Hart wins.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah presumably GHWB is still at the CIA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do wanna know if she won re election in 96

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All this alt history talk is making me think of Counterpart. Man, what a great series. Catch the two seasons they made if you can.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MarcusSA posted:

I do wanna know if she won re election in 96

We'll find out in the open to season four!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I still can’t get over the fact that Danny was combining amphetamines and oxy in space and no one seemed to worry about having him on missions.

Imagine some near future scene where there is a congressional investigation, Danielle is called up as a witness and says, “yes, I warned Ed about Danny’s drug problems, I told him about avoiding the DUIs and he didn’t listen”. Monumentally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ed really should be a senator by now. I assume he'd be on whatever committee oversees NASA. The thing comes to light and he's at the center of the drama both because people want him to recuse but he won't and also because the whole thing is half his fault.