Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
We're not gonna do poo poo to get off oil in the grand scheme of things. The war wagons will still run on guzzoline even as we pass 3 degrees warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mystes posted:

hump day for our civilization

hump day? hump day??? that's another reason why we're in this predicament now!!!!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mystes posted:

In a scenario where all cars were electric, people would probably end up just swapping out the batteries rather than recharging them on the go. This would probably be even more practical if someone works out a new battery chemistry that doesn't involve rare poo poo and batteries get cheaper, although who knows if that will happen. I'm also not that optimistic about fuel cells right now although you never know.

It's still mostly irrelevant because cars are dumb and you don't even need batteries for trains/streetcars (well some automobiles/trucks would probably still be necessary)

Fuel cells seem more likely than us figuring out lithium recycling at scale. At any scale really, it's energy intensive.

And swapping batteries instead of recharging them would need either public ownership of batteries or a battery technology that isn't so goddamn fragile and prone to bursting into flames.

Either point we're well beyond "build more rail tracks" in expense and complexity, especially as you could use the rail tracks for power and data communications so desperately needed.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
fuckin toner police in the climate thread smh

CommieGIR posted:

Cars are a climate issue, but you are focusing on the wrong reason why they are bad.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
commigir aka 'the nuclear option'

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

stop talking about cars

STOP TALKING ABOUT CARS

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You can even still have suburbs with trolly cars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

where did that meme originally come from

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I just want to live in a foreboding concrete tower in a city where any path not a metro can fit a wheelchair at the largest, nobody's capable of hitting me with a ton of metal because they weren't paying attention, and the only ways out are by foot, by boat, or by train. Is that so bad?

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

actionjackson posted:

where did that meme originally come from

the math one is great but these feel too realistic

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

OIL PANIC posted:

i don't think i've ever visited the gently caress cars thread, but am i right in thinking it's just cool guys patting each other on the back (justifiably so) for not owning cars? or does it get a lotta drive-by posting from car lovers the motor pool?

It is mostly a constant stream of injustice and impotent rage at clearly unnecessary death caused by the bastard automobile, broken up by the occasional nice train or transit system

Idk I find it harder to look at than this thread bc of how inherently preventable car death is

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i have a problem with the idea that we have a right to move at 100km/hour just to get places faster, a speed at which our steel death cubes annihilate anything they touch

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

steer your way past the corpses of the wombat and the roo

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
think ive posted thisbefore but good biosphere death song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwRu_Q7qzw

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes I'm perfectly aware the fuel cell cars will still have small batteries and will be called the next generation of electric cars and we'll just pretend Tesla never happened.

lol, hydrogen is just natural gas with extra steps

"but but but if we have infinite electrical energy from pixie dust we can make hydrogen out of water!"

bullshit, if we had infinite electrical energy, we'd be using it to mine and refine the worst petroleum sources that we can find, because everything else sucks at energy storage compared to hydrocarbons.

cars, and the infrastructure built around them are incompatible with a habitable planet. the energy demands of a civilization where one person can travel hundred of miles to any destination in a personal vehicle are too high. and the efficiency of a society built around cheap fossil fuels is horrible due to the low density and sprawl. there's simply no way to square away the massive energy needs of a car based civilization with the need to reduce energy expenditure enough to stop burning fossil fuels. and since we've already got the car based society, we're gonna be burning those hydrocarbons into oblivion.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dustcat posted:

sadly all the TobleroneTriangular posts were lost when LF was deleted

God drat what a blast from the past

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Most people in my circle understand that climate change is happening, governments aren’t/won’t do poo poo about it until it’s too late, and it’s already too late.

They also understand that science won’t save us and individuals being asked to not water their lawns or to ride a bike won’t do anything to reduce the overall amount of CO2 compared to a single factory dumping shitloads of CO2 into the air.

We are hosed and there is nothing we as individuals can do to fix the problem, and those in power are going to kill us all.

In Poland there’s a single lignite coal power plant which emits as much co2 as Finland does. And the world is loaded full with that kind of plants.

Yes.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coal-fired_power_stations

The world is full of coal power plants which each plant alone emit as much co2 yearly as a small country…

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

MightyBigMinus posted:

the only scenario where you can reductively replace all cars with trains is like some kind of reverse-pol-pot situation where everyone is moved at gunpoint into giant towers clustered around trainstations

let me be clear, that makes me rock hard and I'd grab a rifle to help. i already dont own a car and live in a tower across the street from a train station.

❤️ :same: ❤️

MightyBigMinus posted:

but its not gonna happen. replacing 80 - 95% of ICE passenger cars with EVs is going to happen. and lithium (and even nickel and copper) aren't going to stop it.

I think you're right about this. Or at least, us getting rid of cars is so unlikely that full conversion to EVs looks like a definite lock-in by comparison.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

tbf in the grand scheme it's hopeless. humanity is a goon stuck in a well.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Hexigrammus posted:

Struggling with this. Even if you're vegan your diet is going to result in competing with and displacing other species of animals, even extirpating them if the drat things won't learn to respect the garden fence. Is it ethical to keep companion animals that are largely the creation of humans and who have better access to food, shelter, and medical care than a majority of humans? (And increasingly a not insignificant number of North Americans.) And then there's the carbon footprint of every bag of Costco puppy chow.

Wolves hunt in packs, horses graze in herds. Is it wrong to insert yourself into that social structure and travel down life's road together? I dunno, except for a small circle of people I prefer the company of animals. I also just got back from assisting a neighbour while her elderly German Shepherd was euthanized. He was a wonderful animal but he suffered from hip dysplasia that crippled him in his later years. At this moment I would cheerfully do terrible things to the asshats who breed a condition like that into dogs because they like the low, slinky look. At least I am temporarily at peace with the imminent extinction of the human species. :killing:

For the record, FitBit considers 22 minutes spent placing a 45 kg dog into his grave and shovelling dirt on him to be "Sport", 4 minutes of fat burn, 18 minutes of aerobic.

Also, I will never not give chickens abortions. Exploitation and sacrilege for breakfast, ftw!

you refrain from consuming animal products as far as is possible and practicable, with the goal of reducing the amount of suffering and exploitation in our consumption. there are of course things you can do outside of veganism in order to further reduce those things, but the goal of veganism is that. eggs are one of the worst because male chicks born on egg farms are thrown into a grinder as soon as they're old enough to be sexed

all that being said, domesticated animals live some of the best lives of any animals on the planet. we're the ones being exploited in that relationship lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Re: copper chat

It doesn't matter if you recycle or not lol we just don't produce enough

quote:

The report forecasts copper demand nearly doubling to 50 million metric tons by 2035. By 2050, demand will reach more than 53 million metric tons. To put this figure in perspective, S&P Global noted that that's "more than all the copper consumed in the world between 1900 and 2021."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Cars are dumb ok

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cat botherer posted:

Cars are dumb ok

one brand is called smart

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

one brand is called smart
well they don't sell them in the us anymore so cars definitely can't be smart here at least

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

lol that even people in the biosphere collapse thread won't admit that cars are a mistake

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It don't mattah. None of this mattahs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We're aren't going to replace our ICE vehicles with electric ones. We're just going to go extinct.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

I go to bed, and people are talking about cars.

I wake up, and people are talking about cars.

The personal automobile and its consequences have been an absolute disaster for all of Earth's species.

We're never going to stop driving. We'll never replace ICE with EV, especially for more intensive purposes (trucks, ships, etc) - just like renewables to fossil fuels, we'll just use them to increase overall supply without phase out.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

society should have been reordered around rollerblading in the 90s

too late now

mystes
May 31, 2006

goochtit posted:

society should have been reordered around rollerblading in the 90s

too late now
nah let's do it

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

EVs will accomplish many great things, such as making the global rich feel better for a while about their disgustingly resource intensive lifestyles while the global poor are displaced and starve in untold numbers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

brakeless posted:

EVs will accomplish many great things, such as making the global rich feel better for a while about their disgustingly resource intensive lifestyles while the global poor are displaced and starve in untold numbers

Ah yes, but as a wise doomer, this is actually a good thing! Because you see the displacement and starvation of untold number of poor people is inevitable and unstoppable, it is a fixed reality. Therefore at least the rich feeling better is a marginal improvement over the status quo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I mean with any luck at least a marginal percentage of them will get locked in by faulty software and immolated by faulty batteries :shrug:

Silver linings y'all

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
hey, i know we're pro-train and anti-coal here, but how do we feel about steam locomotives?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Overpriced, does not model trains with enough accuracy. So obviously I purchased the game and $420.69 worth of dlcs

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

hey, i know we're pro-train and anti-coal here, but how do we feel about steam locomotives?
Steam locomotives powered by resistance heating

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I guess it depends on how you generate the steam

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
have there ever been steam locomotives powered by anything other than coal?

genuinely curious here, i don't know much about trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
want to see the solar powered steam engine that passes sunlight from solar collectors along the whole train up a mirrored vacuum tube to the boiler