Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's very much not that. It's the whole "it came out when I was 1, therefore I know nothing about it" stuff.

Who cares? It's such a smarmy take. Not everyone is into boomer shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you shoot demons in the head until they die

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Who cares? It's such a smarmy take. Not everyone is into boomer shooters

They didn't say that though did they, they said the Switch has no good snooters, and when told that it has the best one, said something stupid and irrelevant about what age they were when it came out

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's an incredibly old game. I have it and I like it but lmao at the idea that people who didn't grow up with it should appreciate and enjoy it

It's like when my uncle tries to gatekeep rock for my nephews because they don't enjoy or want to appreciate boomer rear end bands like ACDC

Now there are obviously good shooters on the switch and thats definitely a bad take but no point in doubling down with another bad take

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Doom FTW.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KingSlime posted:

It's an incredibly old game. I have it and I like it but lmao at the idea that people who didn't grow up with it should appreciate and enjoy it

It's like when my uncle tries to gatekeep rock for my nephews because they don't enjoy or want to appreciate boomer rear end bands like ACDC

Now there are obviously good shooters on the switch and thats definitely a bad take but no point in doubling down with another bad take

None of this has anything to do with what that other guy said though. He just said he didn't know anything about the game, in a stupid way, not that even he wasn't interested in it or doesn't like that type of shooter or didn't like ACDC or whatever you're on about.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im going to gatekeep thie Nintendo Switch

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

it's not really gatekeeping unless you're using NOR and NAND gates only

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man that game sucked so much.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

AC/DC is great, It’s like the coke classic of rock bands, and I don’t listen to anyone who claims not to like them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Right, there have been 30 years of shooters since then. It's not really a relevant cultural capstone anymore unless you're over a certain age.

It's still enjoyable if you're into retro shooters or like learning about video game history for sure, but who cares if that poster doesn't know anything about it? How dare he say it in a dumb way?!

I think he was trying to highlight that there have been 30 years worth of shooters since then.

man nurse posted:

AC/DC is great, It’s like the coke classic of rock bands, and I don’t listen to anyone who claims not to like them.

ACDC like most radio rock of that era is incredibly bad

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 26, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wow i wasn't aware that doom was an old game. drat

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

KingSlime posted:

Right, there have been 30 years of shooters since then. It's not really a relevant cultural capstone anymore unless you're over a certain age.

It's still enjoyable if you're into retro shooters or like learning about video game history for sure, but who cares if that poster doesn't know anything about it? How dare he say it in a dumb way?!

I think he was trying to highlight that there have been 30 years worth of shooters since then.

who cares that they care

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly DOOM's gameplay is timeless. It still holds up very well to this day. Whether or not it's a classic and historical (it obviously is), it's a really really fun game! Go hog wild!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Double post

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Disappointing to discover that as a 31 year old i have to stop liking a good game now because it came out when I was young. Goodbye Super Mario World

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Disappointing to discover that as a 31 year old i have to stop liking a good game now because it came out when I was young. Goodbye Super Mario World

That's right. That's exactly what people are trying to say. You nailed it!

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

KingSlime posted:

That's right. That's exactly what people are trying to say. You nailed it!

:ironicat:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
llmfao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kirios posted:

Honestly DOOM's gameplay is timeless. It still holds up very well to this day. Whether or not it's a classic and historical (it obviously is), it's a really really fun game! Go hog wild!

IT is an epic ftw game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
having tried it a bit now, Doom just doesn't impress. blocky levels, uninspired weapon set, enemies just walk at you and shoot. it's really a lot like ocarina of time - groundbreaking for the time and undoubtedly historically important but extremely middling-at-best under a modern eye.

no shame if you still enjoy it but there's not a lot to recommend over newer single player shooters like the bioshock games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Relax Or DIE posted:

having tried it a bit now, Doom just doesn't impress. blocky levels, uninspired weapon set, enemies just walk at you and shoot. it's really a lot like ocarina of time - groundbreaking for the time and undoubtedly historically important but extremely middling-at-best under a modern eye.

no shame if you still enjoy it but there's not a lot to recommend over newer single player shooters like the bioshock games

THe moderators of the Something Awful forums have got to do something about sicko pervert posts like this

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Now let's stop being crotchety about the youth not appreciating 30 year old capstone games made on ancient technology for a second and talk about the cool games we're playing

I got destroyed in Lyn's paralogue in FE Engage last night. I thought I had a viable strategy but last min reinforcements overwhelmed me. I think I'm going to come back to it, although these scale with your level so really, I'm just hoping to come back with one or two more promoted units and maybe a few more hero rings if I continue progressing the story

People keep mentioning Tiki's paralogue, that's a DLC one yeah? Not interested in picking up the DLC for this game if it's just rings and more side missions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Doom and at least one of the Bioshock games...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm playing Doom II: Hell on Earth. What a game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shooting demons with guns? now that’s something u can feel good about

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Envious of the person who has not played Doom 1 & 2 because they've got a pretty fun time ahead of them for pretty cheap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been reliably informed that outside of the super shotgun Doom 2 sucks, sorry

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been reliably informed that outside of the super shotgun Doom 2 sucks, sorry

Doom 2 is ftw though a lot of the reason it's great is how many amazing level packs people have made which is unfortunately limited on the console releases

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Doom 2 definitely has some poor levels, but the new demons add a lot to the formula, and it's a year newer which makes it 10% better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that said it has BTSX on it which is definitely a classic and also despite the weird level designs in the base game the gameplay is timeless

i think it also has the Final Doom level packs, where Evolution is horrible and Plutonia is an all-time classic

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Doom 2 default levels are like all the worst things about Doom but luckily there's hundreds of insane freaks out there who keep pumping out insane fan content absolutely free so it still gets the coveted ftw rating.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doom 3 is still my favorite of all time. Probably just nostalgia, though it is a good game. I built my first ever custom PC on the launch date of the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro just to play it on the highest settings I could at the time.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

American McGay posted:

Doom 2 default levels are like all the worst things about Doom but luckily there's hundreds of insane freaks out there who keep pumping out insane fan content absolutely free so it still gets the coveted ftw rating.

this is just coward talk for babies that can't handle the glory that is the Chasm or Barrels O Fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unfortuantely Badthesda put like five level packs on their store though I assume there's some source port of Doom 2 that can play them on a hacked Switch.

Or the Steam Dreck.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Doom is great and if you dont like then you dont like shooters sorry btw imho

Warcraft 3 is 20 years old and its still better than 90% of the RTS genre. sometimes old games are good. gamedevs from years past werent idiots incapable of making good games or w/e

anyways im playing the Disgaea 4 demo and i think this might be the one i jump into someday. the writing and line delivery are p good! good enough to carry the story mode i think. i have been grinding my units on the first few levels for uhhh a while now

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think to me it's more that so much good stuff is coming out these days that you have to go out of your way to revisit older stuff.

There's just way too much really great content to wade through, I have a spreadsheet somewhere of all the must play games I want to get around to before I kick the bucket and that list kept getting longer and longer. I just stopped updating it because I couldn't keep up with everything that interested me

A lot of times the newer stuff can be disappointing for sure but some folks are really leveraging decades worth of knowledge to make incredible experiences, and there's some crazy stuff out there regardless of your niche. Speaking of, there are like two or three new modern boomer shooters that I want to try out before I get around to replaying Doom

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

KingSlime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3zCnTgdLG0

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lmao Marge Simpson impression perfectly describes the band's vocal aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

I think to me it's more that so much good stuff is coming out these days that you have to go out of your way to revisit older stuff.

There's just way too much really great content to wade through, I have a spreadsheet somewhere of all the must play games I want to get around to before I kick the bucket and that list kept getting longer and longer. I just stopped updating it because I couldn't keep up with everything that interested me

A lot of times the newer stuff can be disappointing for sure but some folks are really leveraging decades worth of knowledge to make incredible experiences, and there's some crazy stuff out there regardless of your niche. Speaking of, there are like two or three new modern boomer shooters that I want to try out before I get around to replaying Doom

or you could play old games which are good and not make psychoposts like this