Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

kliras posted:

should be available when the bios update with agesa 1.2.0.8 makes it out of beta

Oh good, I’ll keep and eye out

Scam Likely posted:

What kind of cooler do you have on the 5800X3D?

EK Basic 240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

dkj posted:

EK Basic 240

Sounds nice. Do a picture.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Canna Happy posted:

Sounds nice. Do a picture.

This is the only one I took while I was trying to figure out how to route the cables

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

The S in SFF is Suffering

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

in typical jayztwocents fashion, this turned out to be bs. turns out they were mishandled mining GPUs instead, because of course a driver update isn't going to cause your gpu die to loving crack apart.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

in typical jayztwocents fashion, this turned out to be bs.

Yeah you are right. He’s so convinced that GPU prices won’t be cheaper won’t November hits and turns out it was the other way around.

I don’t mind content creators being wrong but at least back track some old videos and say hey we goofed sorry. Instead of chasing the next basic fad

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sup T1 buddy. It's a really fun but exacting build.

Good to see you put the GPU in first. I did not do that and it was a big mistake.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it lives

i'll clean stuff up tomorrow and move things around. i need to get fan control and get the exhaust fans to spin up more aggressively, maybe swap out the 92x15 for a 92x25, too.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What's your specs? I'm looking to rehouse my build into either a t1 or a a4-h20

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Current:
Formd T1 V2 Sandwich (aluminum)
Intel i9-9900k with a Noctua L9i (stock config)
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac
32GB of DDR4-3200
2TB WD SN850 WD + 1TB HP EX920
Nvidia 4080 FE
Corsair SF750 Platinum

Previously:
Fractal Define Nano S
Noctua D15S (140mm + 120mm)
1TB HP EX920 + 4TB WD Red
EVGA 2080 Super Black
Corsair SF600 Platinum

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Phone posted:

it lives

i'll clean stuff up tomorrow and move things around. i need to get fan control and get the exhaust fans to spin up more aggressively, maybe swap out the 92x15 for a 92x25, too.

How big is that GPU?

ughhhh posted:

What's your specs? I'm looking to rehouse my build into either a t1 or a a4-h20

I just finished my first sff build and am by no means an expert but I found the cable management in my A4-H20 to be incredibly difficult with a Sapphire 7900xt. It’s like 2 1/2 slots so I couldn’t use the standoffs to run cables between the GPU and motherboard, though I think if you have a 2 slot card being able to use the standoffs would have made it so much easier.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dkj posted:

How big is that GPU?

I just finished my first sff build and am by no means an expert but I found the cable management in my A4-H20 to be incredibly difficult with a Sapphire 7900xt. It’s like 2 1/2 slots so I couldn’t use the standoffs to run cables between the GPU and motherboard, though I think if you have a 2 slot card being able to use the standoffs would have made it so much easier.

The 4080 FE (and 4090) are 3 slot cards. I'm running the case in 3.25 mode.

Ironically enough, my old case couldn't fit a 3 slot card. :v:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Anyone out there with a Dan A4-H20, does the case have a moveable motherboard tray? It'd be nice to use a bigger cooler than the NH-l9i and possibly switch the 7700 65w for a 7800X3D 120w.

Paired with this 2-slot GPU:

Video Card: MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2049.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li A4-H20 X4 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($144.99 @ Newegg Sellers)

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 29, 2023

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Is there anything more compact than the O11 Air Mini that can accommodate the following parts?

• NH-D15S
  • Asus Tuf 3080 (L = 300mm)
  • 2 x 140 mm front intake fans
  • 2 x 140 mm bottom intake fans

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

denereal visease posted:

Is there anything more compact than the O11 Air Mini that can accommodate the following parts?

• NH-D15S

There is a sliger case built to accommodate the d15 think it's this one

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't satisfy the criteria

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Maybe the Fractal Design Torrent Nano?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

again, thanks for the suggestion; but it doesn't satisfy the criteria

i thought my post was clear enough, but i am looking for the smallest case that can accommodate all four of these things simultaneously

denereal visease posted:

• NH-D15S

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 4, 2023

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

denereal visease posted:

i thought my post was clear enough, but i am looking for the smallest case that can accommodate all four of these things simultaneously

This is the SFF thread, you're looking for the Not-Quite Full Tower thread instead.

Lian Li O11 Air mini

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

denereal visease posted:

torrent nano

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

denereal visease posted:

Your post was clear enough. 2 front and bottom 140mm fans, 165mm cpu cooler clearance and enough room for a 2.5 slot 330mm gpu (Asus tuf 3080 is 300mm and just over 2 slots)

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 4, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your post was clear enough. 2 front and bottom 140mm fans, 165mm cpu cooler clearance and enough room for a 2.5 slot 330mm gpu (Asus tuf 3080 is 300mm and just over 2 slots)

REGARDING MY PREVIOUS POST,

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Phone posted:

The 4080 FE (and 4090) are 3 slot cards. I'm running the case in 3.25 mode.

Ironically enough, my old case couldn't fit a 3 slot card. :v:

I realize I’m late but that’s a gorgeous case and build.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Cheers team, while the Torrent Nano fits the bill on paper I'm skeptical that it can actually fit 25mm tall case fans under a 2.7-slot GPU.
  • I found a couple of examples on PCPP (#1, #2) where folks got standard case fans under 30-series FE cards.
  • Found a few builds using GPUs with the same cooler as mine (#1, #2) and it looks like a 15mm slim fan might fit under the GPU.

I find myself wishing the next NCase design would be like 1.5-2" wider and maybe 1" taller: that might get 2x 120mm front fans & 2x 140mm bottom fans into a <20L package.

Apparently they're going smaller but claiming better compatibility for today's hardware.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
These posts look like elfring pull requests.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’m considering a build using the Fractal Design Ridge. My reading so far suggests that the GPU compartment can be kept pretty cool using included 140mm fans (though I may need to find slim fans depending on my choice of GPU), but that there is no fan—for either intake or exhaust—in the CPU compartment.

People have claimed that they put 80mm fans in that part of the case, but others have said that those screw holes are for 2.5” SDDs only. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable could break this down for me:

(1) does the Ridge support additional fans to help with CPU cooling?
(2) if 80 mm is the right size, how many and where would they go?
(3) assuming I can figure out how to switch between intake and exhaust, is there an airflow direction that is better for temperatures?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Two weeks ago optimumtech teased the notion of "2x 240 in a FormD T1" and I'm glad I only learned about this now because :f5: I must see that. My Ncase M1 is good but it could be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZEfTVrhHs4

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!

Scam Likely posted:

Anyone out there with a Dan A4-H20, does the case have a moveable motherboard tray? It'd be nice to use a bigger cooler than the NH-l9i and possibly switch the 7700 65w for a 7800X3D 120w.

Paired with this 2-slot GPU:

Video Card: MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2049.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li A4-H20 X4 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($144.99 @ Newegg Sellers)

Unfortunately not. If you look at the bottom panel, there are five screws, and the one in the center affixes directly to the motherboard tray, so that's not adjustable. The way it handles 2-slot GPUs is by adding a couple of standoffs that move the riser closer to the panel for ventilation. It doesn't change the relative size of the GPU/motherboard compartments.

After a couple of weeks with this thing, it's nifty, but it gets hot. Comes with the territory of shoving a 7900XT inside a tiny case, but my fantasy was "tiny box does impossible things", and although the box itself is tiny, the thermal envelope is the same as a mid-tower, so the illusion is kind of broken when the main heat source in your room is inside that tiny box.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Grundulum posted:

I’m considering a build using the Fractal Design Ridge. My reading so far suggests that the GPU compartment can be kept pretty cool using included 140mm fans (though I may need to find slim fans depending on my choice of GPU), but that there is no fan—for either intake or exhaust—in the CPU compartment.

People have claimed that they put 80mm fans in that part of the case, but others have said that those screw holes are for 2.5” SDDs only. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable could break this down for me:

(1) does the Ridge support additional fans to help with CPU cooling?
(2) if 80 mm is the right size, how many and where would they go?
(3) assuming I can figure out how to switch between intake and exhaust, is there an airflow direction that is better for temperatures?

The 80mm fan slots are on top of the case, in the GPU chamber. You're limited by the CPU cooler height anyways and there's no room for watercooling either so not having extra case fans doesn't make much of a difference.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
just pick a cpu cooler that puts the fan right by the panel and maybe consider bridging the distance with a foam gasket (if it’s like two mm you can buy some of the stuff that comes in a sheet with glue on one side and cut a suitable shape to stick to the panel where it’ll fit the fan). pulling air directly from outside means you don’t need to worry about a two-step of getting fresh air into a case cavity and then the cpu cooler interacting with it. swapping the fan on an is-55 for a standard 25mm thick 120mm fan should fit the clearance of the ridge. nf-a12x25 is the old favorite but some people say the new bequiet one puts up better numbers

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

this allusion meant posted:

just pick a cpu cooler that puts the fan right by the panel and maybe consider bridging the distance with a foam gasket (if it’s like two mm you can buy some of the stuff that comes in a sheet with glue on one side and cut a suitable shape to stick to the panel where it’ll fit the fan). pulling air directly from outside means you don’t need to worry about a two-step of getting fresh air into a case cavity and then the cpu cooler interacting with it. swapping the fan on an is-55 for a standard 25mm thick 120mm fan should fit the clearance of the ridge. nf-a12x25 is the old favorite but some people say the new bequiet one puts up better numbers

This is an interesting idea that really is suited for SFF cases. It’s also something I can do *after* I have built the PC, since only then will I really know how much vertical clearance there is between the CPU cooler and the inside of the case. (I can guess based on published cooler clearances and published cooler heights, but this seems like maybe it’s better to measure directly if possible.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gotta get yourself an NA-FD1

(Idk what cpu cooler you’re using, but still)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I know this is a long shot, but I've been trying to find a case that's both shallow and narrow (vertical) (or shallow and short, if horizontal).

But at the same time kind take graphics cards up to at least 300mm, 2.5 slot. Oh, and I have an aversion to water cooling, so most sandwiches don't do it for me, I want clearance for a good air cooler (70+mm, I'd want at least space for a Noctua NH-L12s, more would be better).

I was hoping to find a case that would fit on a shelf that's 300mm deep, with cables out the back you need a good few two inches or so breathing room behind. I also want the front to be clean, as it's for HTPC use.

The spacing between the shelves would probably be about 355mm, so the case should be no taller than that.

The answer to that is of course the Phanteks Evolv Shift/Air, but it's overall pretty large, I was hoping to find something a bit smaller.

If I could easily find a reference 6800, then I'd probably go Silverstone Sugo 16, but I know I'm also restricting GPU choices down the line.

I know the spec sounds ridiculous, but the Meshlicious has a layout that makes my idea possible, as it rotates the gpu 90°, so the case can be shallower than the GPU length. The Meshlicious is not really at all what I'd want looks wise for an HTPC (also, total lack of filters). But if it was shallower still, to remove water cooling rad support, and had a flat aluminium front with vent gaps down the side, (so, mounts for fans and a clean front, same overall depth), then it had feet to mount it horizontally (or was shorter, around 340mm), it would be seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

That said, I've also got my eye on the Sliger S610 (just over 13l), it's just small in every dimension, doesn't need a riser, loads of hsf height clearance. The only thing is that it's 344mm deep, which is an issue.

Edit: I seem to have killed the thread. I found the GEEEK A70 and A70 Pro, 90° riser style. That style is extremely space efficient. If anyone has a list of all the 90° riser cases, that'd be ideal. I'd really want that 70mm clearance for a half decent air cooler though.

Double edit: I'm hoping to get a Sliger SV540. They're discontinued but the EU distributor allowed me to order one. Fingers crossed. It doesn't meet my desires in terms of cpu cooling height, but it does meet the "evolv shift, but smaller" brief. I always set the most ridiculous requirements for almost every product I buy, and it ends up being a absolute slog every time

Triple edit: By the way, https://www.caseend.com can't be recommended more highly. The absolute best case search engine I found. https://www.comparesizes.com was also quite nice to quickly visualise a size comparison

Quadruple edit: I have a Sliger SV540 in hand now. All the parts are here, now I just need to find the time to build it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 3, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Key things I learned while building my Tecware Fusion-based PC for the living room:

• There's so much more poo poo you gotta worry about when working with a SFF/MFF case, especially with an MATX board like what I was using. I had to think about what connectors I could get away with not using at the bottom of the mobo just to make sure I could fit sufficient fans in, whereas building in my midtower case with a similar mobo required a lot less brainpower.
  • I took cooling for granted in in my midtower case, because I just had to max out the fan capacity of the case. Here, I had to research ideal airflow direction, cooler placement, and positive vs negative pressure. Ended up with the air cooler pulling air from the rear, bottom and side intake, and top exhaust.
  • It's so loving freeing not to have to think about aesthetics in a case without tempered glass like this. GPU/cooler color? RGB fan hubs? Color synching? Remotes? gently caress off with that poo poo.
  • I'm a smaller case convert now and I think I'm going 30-33L case for my personal rig in the future. The Asus AP201 seems like the perfect case for when I move and should fit all of my current components.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
My sliger SV540 build is basically done and running, I'm happy with it, but I do have a desire to make a custom duct from the lower 140mm fan to the cpu heatsink, to drag air across it and eliminate the 92mm fan on top of the heatsink. I used a thermalright axp90-x53 full black (full copper), I know it's not recommended to use a tiny air cooler in here, especially as it's right against the side panel (with a noctua nf-a9x14) , but I'd sooner design and get printed crazy ducts and mount a heatsink which really isn't am5 compatible (I passed the long screws THROUGH the am5 threads and attached nuts to the other side, and had to cut the screws short to stop them hitting the mobo backplate) than use water cooling.

CPU loads are noisy because of side panel turbulence, without it's dead quiet (7700). Gaming loads are unbelievably quiet as they don't lean too much on the CPU, that pound's (and change!) worth of copper soaks up transient heat loads, and sapphire rx 6800 pulse keeps really cool even under extended sessions

There are small things that could be improved on the case, I do think it should have external USB ports, for one. I made up a c13-c14 adapter with the angle the other direction, so I could have the psu fan pulling fresh air in - having it pull air from the back of the gpu just made it cook.
Still, I met the design brief, so it was a success

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Hurry up custom cables :pray:

:cthulhu:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The ModDIY custom cables came in today, as well as a different AIO, so the :cthulhu: is contained.

This is the third Dan A4 I've built over the course of almost a decade. Always such a satisfying case when things fit.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Very nice! Which AIO did you use?
I poo poo the bed with cable management with that case.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

u knew he was gonna do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCwDRzLHDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That is really impressive. He mentioned special connector/power cables because the GPU was so close to the maximum allowed dimensions of the case. I’m going to try something equally crazy down the road (4080/4090 FE in a Fractal Design Ridge, which will supposedly fit with enough space for a couple of slim intake fans on the side). How do I determine ahead of time whether I need the specialized cables or not. And if so, how do I know which cables to purchase?