Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In the UK: "Covid-19 booster jab offer set to end"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/25/covid-vaccine-booster-jab-nhs-uk-end/
https://archive.is/hR9MI

Few interesting bits here. Not only are boosters for those under 50 going to require a doctor's recommendation, but they're getting rid of the initial first and second doses for all under-50s as well.

The Telegraph posted:

The Telegraph understands that the Government is also preparing to wind down the open offer of the first two doses over the coming months.

The move will mean unvaccinated healthy under-50s will soon not be able to get a Covid jab unless recommended by a medical professional.
Health officials are hoping to move to a more targeted vaccination strategy where non-vulnerable individuals only receive a Covid jab if there is a clear clinical need.

That last bit is quite interesting too. The way I'm reading it, it's a complete change of strategy from "EVERYONE GET VACCINATED IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE OUR PRECIOUS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM" to a much more reasoned, targeted approach.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Telling everyone to get vaccinated is a much more reasoned approach.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Telling everyone to get vaccinated is a much more reasoned approach.

I guess the UK is run by complete idiots.

Is this the first time goons prefer American healthcare vs UK/European?? lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The UK has long had deeply flawed vaccination policy.

There is no vaccination against chickenpox. The fanciful justification for this is that sick kids in the community will act as “natural top‐ups” for adults and prevent shingles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There is no vaccination against chickenpox. The fanciful justification for this is that sick kids in the community will act as “natural top‐ups” for adults and prevent shingles.

That sounds so idiotic that I’m assuming it must be cover for them deciding it would cost too much.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

Doesn't this actually prevent the whole "getting shingles at 30" thing that happens in the US? Just without making any other sense from a public health perspective?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

There’s, like, a shingles vaccine we could give to adults instead of relying on us just barfing diseases into each other all the time. It’s not like kids having chicken pox is all that great.

https://adc.bmj.com/content/92/12/1062

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slurm posted:

Doesn't this actually prevent the whole "getting shingles at 30" thing that happens in the US? Just without making any other sense from a public health perspective?

Studies don’t find a strong or consistent effect.

Impact of Varicella Vaccine on Varicella-Zoster Virus Dynamics

quote:

Postvaccination, several studies and surveillance data show no consistent trends in herpes zoster incidence. Two studies found no change; one found that the age-adjusted incidence of HZ remained stable at about 0.4 cases per 1,000 person-years from 1992 to 2002 as the incidence of age-adjusted varicella decreased from 2.63 cases/1,000 person-years in 1995 to 0.92 cases/1,000 person-years in 2002 (66). Another study found an overall incidence of herpes zoster in 2000 and 2001 of 3.2 (95% CI, 3.1 to 3.2) per 1,000 person-years, which is similar to a rate reported in an earlier study for 1990 to 1992 (34, 62). Two studies reported increases in incidence; during 1997 to 2003, a study found stable herpes zoster rates with significant increases in rates among children aged 10 to 17 years that were attributable to an increased use of oral steroids (93). Another study found an increase in herpes zoster rates between 1999 and 2003; as varicella decreased 66%, the rate of zoster increased from 2.77 per 1,000 person-years to 5.25 per 1,000 person-years. The highest increase was among those 25 to 44 years and over 65 years of age (154). One study reported increases in HZ incidence rates between 1996 and 2001, from 3.18 cases per 1,000 person-years in 1996 to 1997 to 4.11 cases per 1,000 person years in 2000 to 2001 (153).

quote:

To date, only one of four studies has shown an increase in zoster incidence after varicella vaccination in the United States. While it is plausible that a sufficient number of varicella exposures can reduce the risk of zoster in select populations, it remains unclear whether such levels of exposure play an epidemiologically important role in reducing the risk of zoster among the general population of older adults who are at the highest risk of the disease and, if so, how long such effects would last in the elderly. Persons living or interacting with children may have different underlying health conditions compared to persons without exposure to children, which may be a confounder in these studies. This issue is also complicated by the introduction of a zoster vaccine that reduces the risk for developing zoster by 50% in persons ≥60 years of age. Even modest coverage levels with this vaccine could substantially mask other trends in zoster incidence, particularly if its use is recommended for younger persons (50 to 59 years of age).

Even in the counterfactual where the supposed “natural booster” were strong, I would argue that it is unethical to let children get sick for the good of adults.

We have the means to prevent illness in both. Vaccinate children against chickenpox, and they will grow up to be shingle‐free adults. For those who have already had chickenpox, give them the vaccine against shingles.

UK policy on the shingles vaccine is, by the way, also deeply flawed. You can only get it after seventy years of age but before eighty. The justification for that one is that below seventy the risk is so low as to not justify the expense, but after the age of eighty, the immune system is assumed to be so feeble that vaccination would do a person no good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

knulla posted:

In the UK: "Covid-19 booster jab offer set to end"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/25/covid-vaccine-booster-jab-nhs-uk-end/
https://archive.is/hR9MI

Few interesting bits here. Not only are boosters for those under 50 going to require a doctor's recommendation, but they're getting rid of the initial first and second doses for all under-50s as well.

That last bit is quite interesting too. The way I'm reading it, it's a complete change of strategy from "EVERYONE GET VACCINATED IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE OUR PRECIOUS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM" to a much more reasoned, targeted approach.

This isn't really a big shift in policy. The JCVI was talking about this six months ago, primarily in response to public apathy. Notably there is no mention of risks, and the list of vulnerable persons eligible for boosters going forward includes pregnant women (all trimesters); it also does not rule out a return to general boosters if there is another variant surge as bad as previous peaks.

The decision primarily seems to be about messaging, probably to some extent for political reasons, but also wanting to alleviate pandemic fatigue in the general public so that if things do worsen they might have an easier time getting people to get emergency boosters than they would if it was just one more in an ongoing chain of boosters. In that regard it seems similar to the U.S. gearing up to recommend an annual booster shot to coincide with the seasonal flu shot, which also seems to be motivated by ease of public buy-in rather than a desire to minimize public health risks from COVID.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The UK of course also does not offer annual flu shots to the general adult population.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

knulla posted:

I guess the UK is run by complete idiots

Yes, it loving well is. Like, it is extremely hard to even get across to you the extent to which it is.

And this is terrible news.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knulla posted:

I guess the UK is run by complete idiots.

HEARTBREAKING: Broken Clock Tells Correct Time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There seems to be some ambiguity as to whether the vaccine will be unavailable, or just “not free unless you’re at risk.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's something beautiful that the latest antivax argument was challenging people to say that the likes of Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, or Rishi Sunak would ever do something stupid.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

VitalSigns posted:

There's something beautiful that the latest antivax argument was challenging people to say that the likes of Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, or Rishi Sunak would ever do something stupid.

fuckin seriously

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The UK of course also does not offer annual flu shots to the general adult population.

So both the US and the UK are aligning their COVID vaccine policy to be basically identical to their flu vaccine policy (the UK's proposed eligibility list for the COVID booster is basically copied & pasted from the eligibility list for the flu vaccine.) Not exactly a vaccine-skeptical stance.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Let my guard down too far and the odds got to me. Tested positive yesterday morning after developing symptoms (but testing negative) the day before. Looks like I'm in the "like a moderately bad flu" group, thankfully. Still sucks, but it looks like my fever is back down to ~ 100 degrees after spiking up to just under 103.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's interesting because according to their arguments for the past two years the Tory leadership are all dangerous morons whose vaxmaxxer policies killed a kajillion kids, but now that they've announced a policy this guy likes the Tories are suddenly infallible and their policy proposals beyond question.

Like, weren't they idiots before, why can't they still be idiots now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PT6A posted:

There seems to be some ambiguity as to whether the vaccine will be unavailable, or just “not free unless you’re at risk.”

Alternatively, they are counting on the NHS system to classify everyone who asks as "at risk" as a political move to still have people vaccinated (but only if they want to) and push the onus of making it happen onto the dods instead of the politicians.

Also it's a loving terrible idea.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
They need to make a shingles vaccine for young people that doesn't make you insanely sick

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slurm posted:

They need to make a shingles vaccine for young people that doesn't make you insanely sick

Speaking as a member of the “got shingles while under 30 crowd” I really would not care because pretty much anything is better than getting Shingles.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I am trying to make sense of the US COVID death rates in 2022-2023 and how they compare to previous years. I'm not so great with statistics and I'm not sure how some of these numbers are being calculated.

For example, this chart shows a death rate of 0.988/100k (9.88/1m) for Jan 27, 2023:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-covid-deaths-per-million-people?tab=chart&country=~USA

The John Hopkins mortality analysis shows a death rate of 336.19/100k for what I assume is the entire span of the pandemic:
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Is this assumption correct? Does this translate to ~112.06/100k per year on average since the start of the pandemic?

The Our World In Data chart says "Weekly confirmed deaths refer to the cumulative number of confirmed deaths over the previous week" but the chart "increments" daily, meaning I can read any day from the beginning of the pandemic via a single-day increment. Is the death rate of 0.988/100k for Jan 27, 2023 calculated based on the previous 7 days (1/21/23 - 1/27/23)? Is every increment/day a calculation of the previous 7, meaning that if this is extrapolated to a year, we would get 51.376/100k because 0.988 x 52 = 51.376?

I'm partly confused because I assumed that per capita deaths for other diseases are reported per year (I understand why we have daily/weekly counts for an ongoing pandemic). For example, the CDC lists influenza with pneumonia as a rate of 16.33 per 100k in 2019-2020 and I'm assuming that's cumulative for the entire year/season:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

Is this assumption correct?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Biden to end covid health emergencies on May 11
Title's a bit misleading, as it's specifically an extension further than the programs are currently supposed to extend, and it's being announced so far in advance in tune with an earlier pledge to do so (and in opposition to R demands that both forms of public health emergency end immediately).

Edit: I’m seeing claims on Twitter from politico reporters that this got rushed to preempt a vote where some Democrats would side with the Rs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2023

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Holding off on siding with republicans for a couple months to show that you're not siding with republicans

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It is extremely depressing to me how we* just gave up and went along with conservatives bullshit.

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

Harold Fjord posted:

It is extremely depressing to me how we* just gave up and went along with conservatives bullshit.

I feel like ending the PHE in particular feels like a zany thing to interpret as Biden and liberal figures in general "giving up"; things like getting the government out of the business of buying these vaccines and allowing a less efficient and less equitable market to handle it instead lines up well with past and current liberal policy initiatives, so this was always the plan.

(edit: tweaked wording to be stronger)

Cygnids fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ending the emergency declarations will make a lot of things materially worse, for people who need healthcare and for the people employed in providing it and in supporting it with test, treatments, and so on. States won’t even have to report coronavirus deaths to CDC.

Biden is ending the emergencies for political gain, not because ending them is good public policy. It’s no better than when the GOP uses the debt ceiling as weapon.

Compare,

quote:

Notice of President of the United States, dated Sept. 9, 2022, 87 F.R. 55897, provided:

Consistent with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act, 50 U.S.C. 1622(d), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency previously declared on September 14, 2001, in Proclamation 7463, with respect to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States.

Because the terrorist threat continues, the national emergency declared on September 14, 2001, and the powers and authorities adopted to deal with that emergency must continue in effect beyond September 14, 2022. Therefore, I am continuing in effect for an additional year the national emergency that was declared on September 14, 2001, with respect to the terrorist threat.

This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

J.R. Biden, Jr.

That is how he handles declared emergencies that he would not personally gain from ending.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It appears to have been to preempt an act of Congress to end the emergency immediately; the Senate had voted for a similar termination last November. Dems were indicating they would cross lines to vote with the Republicans on termination, in part because of how the state of emergency was tied to sustaining the Trump administration's Title 42 expulsion policy, which the administration had been unable to terminate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Platystemon posted:

I... what? Why?

Literal goddamn us insurers like flu shots because it'll cost them less overall and they are all fuckers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I suppose that maybe a head of lettuce is not concerned about catching the flu

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Flu shots in the UK are givern for free if you're over 50 (?) or have other conditions, you can also get them for about 10 pounds.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My wife started having symptoms Sunday and tested positive Monday. She’s much better after taking Paxlovid starting Monday and tested negative today. I’m still symptom free and tested negative 5 days in a row.

We are still isolating in our apartment and wearing masks outside of our dedicated rooms. What is the line where we can safely interact again? Or sleep in the same room again unmasked?

I’ve heard 10 days from symptom start, I’ve also heard if she’s negative on tests 24 or 48 hrs apart, etc. and don’t know what the medically safe guidance is vs the forcing you back to work guidance anymore

We’re airing on the side of caution for now and decided to wait for the 10 day mark, but not sure if I’m being over cautious

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dacap posted:

My wife started having symptoms Sunday and tested positive Monday. She’s much better after taking Paxlovid starting Monday and tested negative today. I’m still symptom free and tested negative 5 days in a row.

We are still isolating in our apartment and wearing masks outside of our dedicated rooms. What is the line where we can safely interact again? Or sleep in the same room again unmasked?

I’ve heard 10 days from symptom start, I’ve also heard if she’s negative on tests 24 or 48 hrs apart, etc. and don’t know what the medically safe guidance is vs the forcing you back to work guidance anymore

We’re airing on the side of caution for now and decided to wait for the 10 day mark, but not sure if I’m being over cautious

Nope wait til ten day, lots of rebounds on paxlovid where people test negative for a day or two then pop pos.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

That’s what I figured, I’ll keep it going as is because I haven’t caught it yet

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

anecdotally fwiw, my dad tested positive the day after thanksgiving, went on pax, and my mom tested negative for nearly two weeks despite not isolating from my dad. she tested positive two weeks after my dad’s, possibly from his pax rebound.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People should stop calling it pax rebound it's just covid rebound.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Biden to end covid health emergencies on May 11
Title's a bit misleading, as it's specifically an extension further than the programs are currently supposed to extend, and it's being announced so far in advance in tune with an earlier pledge to do so (and in opposition to R demands that both forms of public health emergency end immediately).

Edit: I’m seeing claims on Twitter from politico reporters that this got rushed to preempt a vote where some Democrats would side with the Rs.

Just in time for the Avian flu emergency!

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1621565175416426498

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
We are in trouble

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-64474594.amp

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/opinion/bird-flu-h5n1-pandemic.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not that worried about H5N1. We’ve had influenza pandemics before. They end. They don’t circulate alongside seasonal influenza, sicken billions, and kill millions, year after year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’m not that worried about H5N1. We’ve had influenza pandemics before. They end. They don’t circulate alongside seasonal influenza, sicken billions, and kill millions, year after year.

H5N1 has a 53% fatality rate among humans though. That's literally on the level with the Black Death.