Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm not watching succession because it's too popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I am not a lawyer.

First amendment rights are pretty solid. One thing America definitely got right, but corporations have impressed artists with fear to exercise them.

A lot of people on smaller film sets cover up/avoid brand logos and worry about people's faces when stealing shots in public. It's a huge waste of energy because people don't know their rights. As far as I know neither of these have any legal basis you can show any logos and faces captured in public, no need to blur or hide them per se. If you are selling your work to a broadcaster with a deal with coke and your character drinks a refreshing pepsi maybe there's a contractual conflict idk. You cannot show a normal coke and have someone drink it and then die unless it's parody, that could cause 'unfair damages' because coke is not actually instantly deadly. There's some extreme limits.

You don't need the rights to a true story if you don't plan to alter it in a way that is untruthful and defaming but not parody. i.e. I can make an offical Donald Trump biopic with no rights from anyone. You could legally show an actor playing Disney drawing micky mouse and so on. There's a film about a famous affair where they didn't have rights, and the details of the affair (specific acts, conversations) were not public, but they were able to release the film showing intimate scenes because they didn't interpret too much, bog standard affair stuff - the bar is "deliberate falsification with intent to harm". You basically never need the rights to use true events.

Tattoos, paintings, music and other works of art typically do need clearance to appear without comment in a film. If a face has commercial value (celebrity endorsement) you need to get the right to use it commercially. a painter can paint a celebrity without their permission and sell the painting no problem afaik.

There's also no limit on recording on private property, unless you're recording a person's private life without permission. A horror film was made a disney land without any permission of disney or the guests who appear in the background and it was released just fine.

yeah that's all theoretically true but you just get bludgeoned by frivolous lawsuits or more modern equivalents like frivolous takedowns on the internet if you get in the way of a corporation so virtually without exception people self-censor their creative output in most mediums (basic prose like books generally gets a pass on this). it's gotten really bad imo and people are starting to internalize the self-censorship as simply common sense respect for intellectual property or w/e

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Jan 26, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The Wednesday show is pretty fun. It looks pretty good (Tim Burton directed a bunch of the episodes). Nevermore Academy school stuff is a fun school for banshees and psychics and gorgons and werewolves and has some great "Not Hogwarts" vibes. I also really like some of the side characters and the performances are universally pretty good.

The actual "mystery" that the first season is based around is garbage, but I thought it was OK and would happily watch a second season of continued adventures in the school. Having said that, my wife is obsessed with it and has watched the whole thing like half a dozen times, so it clearly resonates with someone.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1618609918562500613

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the best thing about Wednesday is that it had a Cramps song in it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Wednesday was ok but I’ve had my fill of kid private school shows. tried to watch this vampire show on peacock and it was the same setting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm not watching succession because it's too popular

this was me but GoT. it was worth it just to be able to purposefully extract myself from conversations with coworkers I hate.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't understand not watching something because it's popular.
Like sure, if the subject doesn't appeal to you, or you tried it and you didn't like it
but just because other people like it is absurd.

unless you're digging the deepest depths of youtube and self-published ebooks, you're not the first to consume any media
get over it

if it's "popular" that means it appeals to normies sensibilities and I know that's not to my taste

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am euphoric

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

if it's "popular" that means it appeals to normies sensibilities and I know that's not to my taste

Cronenberg movies are popular
just how niche are your tastes

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cronenberg movies are popular
just how niche are your tastes

I believe those are what is called "cult classic"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

99% of the time when someone says "this tv show is so good you have to watch it" it sucks rear end. tv sucks rear end!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
honestly agreed. with the statement that tv sucks rear end. It does. It sucks rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in any given year like one scripted tv show will have a good season

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Substandard posted:

The Wednesday show is pretty fun. It looks pretty good (Tim Burton directed a bunch of the episodes). Nevermore Academy school stuff is a fun school for banshees and psychics and gorgons and werewolves and has some great "Not Hogwarts" vibes. I also really like some of the side characters and the performances are universally pretty good.

The actual "mystery" that the first season is based around is garbage, but I thought it was OK and would happily watch a second season of continued adventures in the school. Having said that, my wife is obsessed with it and has watched the whole thing like half a dozen times, so it clearly resonates with someone.

where i land with wednesday, too - the central plot was a huge nothing, but it's a truly fantastic looking show, the characters are charming and the sideplots are way more fun than the mystery, and if theres a second season ill definitely catch it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

lol

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

my girlfriend and I tried watching the new velma and turned it off after the opening scene. i have never seen a show that far up its own rear end.

anyway we also started season 4 of the Sopranos (her first time watching, I only got to season 3 before) and the vibe has shifted hard. the saturation is turned up, the characters are nastier to each other, the shadows are deeper… the characters look so much older that I went back to see when the episode was filmed to confirm that it was only a year later. the lines in their faces are accentuated or something, I don’t know. it feels like maybe the camerawork is more dynamic? this is the first fully post 9/11 season and it definitely feels like it. would love to hear more about it from anyone that knows more about cinematography

we also cracked into vice principals and danny mcbride is a master of capturing the essence of various kinda of dumb southern guys, it’s incredible

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Jazerus posted:

yeah that's all theoretically true but you just get bludgeoned by frivolous lawsuits or more modern equivalents like frivolous takedowns on the internet if you get in the way of a corporation so virtually without exception people self-censor their creative output in most mediums (basic prose generally get a pass on this). it's gotten really bad imo and people are starting to internalize the self-censorship as simply common sense respect for intellectual property or w/e

depends. there's a story of a judge awarding 2M in legal fees against big companies attempting to do this, on top of throwing it out of the court

if they can get a sypathetic judge maybe. but 1st ammendment is pretty strong. my experience is fear creates too much censorship b/c of fear of brand power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pogi posted:

anyway we also started season 4 of the Sopranos (her first time watching, I only got to season 3 before) and the vibe has shifted hard. the saturation is turned up, the characters are nastier to each other, the shadows are deeper… the characters look so much older that I went back to see when the episode was filmed to confirm that it was only a year later. the lines in their faces are accentuated or something, I don’t know. it feels like maybe the camerawork is more dynamic? this is the first fully post 9/11 season and it definitely feels like it. would love to hear more about it from anyone that knows more about cinematography

was that the first season filmed in hd? did the screen ratio change?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i don't think Succession is really generally "popular" offline

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
After the People's Revolution comes, we will all be freed from the shackles of the water cooler... Every season will be 6 episodes long with no cliffhangers. Children will run gaily in the streets without fear. Real squibs will be used in all gunfight scenes. Cats and dogs will live together in harmony. Technical awards such as best production design will be given equal weight as best actor. Gilbert Gottfried will be revived from the dead and narrate every audiobook and documentary. WE SHALL ALL BE FREED

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone keep up with three body problem? tencent youtube is up to episode 8 now, which means about 5 hours of content. is it exciting yet?

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

i say swears online posted:

was that the first season filmed in hd? did the screen ratio change?

googled it and apparently they started airing the second season in HD, at least according to an article from 2001.

it’s definitely an improvement in quality and it serves the story (which is going to much darker places and has tony being badly evil from the start), but the shift from the last episode of season 3 to the first episode of season 4 was huuuuuge. i wonder what people thought of it when it aired

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

KomradeX posted:

Was Wednesday good?

it's fine, some cute stuff, very YA (obviously). always like to see Catherine Zeta Jones and Christina Ricci in anything. very accurate depiction of the level of poo poo teenage boys will put up with cause they're horny. first time Fred Armisen has ever been good in something which is an accomplishment, big girl from GoT redeemed her awful performance as Lucifer, they didn’t let Luis Guzman do enough, costuming and production was really good except for Bianca's contacts which sucked, pretty much everything looks and sounds great. the costumers clearly put 1000% more effort into the women's looks than they did the boys, although now that I type that out maybe it's just an accurate depiction of reality. hmm

if you aren't as into Christina Ricci as I am you aren't missing anything

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat horror queefs posted:

After the People's Revolution comes, we will all be freed from the shackles of the water cooler... Every season will be 6 episodes long

this sucks. I’m joining the reactionaries

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I tried watching Wednesday and I was clearly not the target audience and her macabre cynicism schtick got old real fast but the production values seemed real polished and I liked the dynamic between gomez and morticia for whenever they were present

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

I liked the dynamic between gomez and morticia for whenever they were present

I'd be more interested in this spin-off than another season of Wednesday. let the adults cook

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I haven’t watched it but Guzman as Gomez is good casting based on the one screenshot I’ve seen of him

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

After the People's Revolution comes, we will all be freed from the shackles of the water cooler... Every season will be 6 episodes long with no cliffhangers.

why would the people's revolution make TV like the british? that sounds like the opposite of good. how about 23 episode seasons designed for syndication?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i'm hardly the first to notice it, but succession's overarching plot is basically the same thing over and over: one or more of the kids scheme to take over the company, logan seems like he's hosed, but at the last second he pulls a legalistic trick to kick their rear end and defuse their takeover. logan gets big mad at whoever tried to dethrone him but ultimately nobody faces any consequences

the whole thing with the company's cruise lines being mired in scandal definitely suffered from the TV writing process, because in season 1 the exact details of whatever horrible crimes their cruise lines did weren't relevant, since the whole thing was kind of a farcical scenario for tom to get unwittingly trapped in. then in later seasons it became this huge existential threat to the company with congressional hearings and everything, but they never bothered to flesh out exactly what the crimes were so it's too abstract to have any stakes

the main appeal of succession seems to be the costuming, which to be fair is very good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven’t watched it but Guzman as Gomez is good casting based on the one screenshot I’ve seen of him

my friends all loved the show but universally hated guzman because he didn't look like raul julia. they had never heard of the comic strip

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

my friends all loved the show but universally hated guzman because he didn't look like raul julia. they had never heard of the comic strip

I wonder if the was internet complaining about Julia back then for being too handsome to be Gomez?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, bc he looked like the one from the TV show

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I wonder if the was internet complaining about Julia back then for being too handsome to be Gomez?

Doubt it because he basically looked like John Astin.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

99% of the time when someone says "this tv show is so good you have to watch it" it sucks rear end. tv sucks rear end!

Can't think of a tv show ive watched that not watching would leave a hole in my life where it used to be...

Maybe MASH?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
today I learned that Tim Curry played Gomez once

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

today I learned that Tim Curry played Gomez once

whoa

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think I'd have a very different sense of humor and probably be less empathetic without the Simpsons and more importantly Futurama

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I think I'd have a very different sense of humor and probably be less empathetic without the Simpsons and more importantly Futurama

same but Doug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

indigi posted:

Simpsons and MST3K were key to me developing my sense of humor. also both have the thing going on where when you're a kid like 70% of the jokes go over your head so when you revisit it as an adult it's a whole new thing.