Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The 7th Guest posted:

is that really a "meme" so much as a tropey joke that is in a lot of 80s-90s fiction
My favorite is something opening with an old man working at a desk then looking at the camera and saying "Oh hello, I didnt see you there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The 7th Guest posted:

is that really a "meme" so much as a tropey joke that is in a lot of 80s-90s fiction
The specific format "*record scratch* Yep, that's me..." is an online meme that references tropes from back then. That was my point, the reaction was "I'm never going to play this because they did the old freeze frame trope unironically" when in fact it wasn't unironically...it was ironic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Volte posted:

I don't care about loot tiers, but what I don't like is over-emphasizing the raw numerics of it all. They could literally just replace "9% resistance to melee damage" with "Minor resistance to melee damage" and it would feel a million times better. It's half placebo anyway since 9% melee resistance vs 5% or 12% is not likely to change your outcomes very often. I really hate the overall "power number" concept because at that point it just feels like you might as well not have varied weapon power at all and keep the upgrades completely on the player side if you're just going to have a linear progression of straight upgrades.

Yeah, the ever-increasing granularization of game stats is one of my pet peeves. I don't give a poo poo if gun A does 4% more damage to enemies on fire. Hell, I barely even care if gun A does 45 base damage compared to gun B's 40. What I care about is how it changes how I use it, and in practice the only relevant aspect there is whether I need three, four, or five hits to kill an average enemy. Same with rate of fire, 700 RPM vs 800 RPM doesn't make a meaningful practical difference, just put it into coarse categories like "slow, medium, high, very high, brrrrrt" and leave it at that. If you absolutely must, give me a raw DPS stat and leave it at that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

The specific format "*record scratch* Yep, that's me..." is an online meme that references tropes from back then. That was my point, the reaction was "I'm never going to play this because they did the old freeze frame trope unironically" when in fact it wasn't unironically...it was ironic.

doing a joke that makes me want to barf ironically makes me ironically want to barf

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

doing a joke that makes me want to barf ironically makes me ironically want to barf

It's honestly your loss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

"Meme" now basically means anything you want it to. It rules.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took a sociology class before memes were a thing and the textbook referred to the modern interpretation of memes (not like a specific image meme, but 'meme' as in a category of image memes or whatever that are all variations of the same joke) as "Anomie", pronounced "an-o-may"

edit: I misremembered, "Anomie" refers to something that makes society's moral values break down, which checks out :hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 26, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi-Fi Rush is really a joy to play so far. There's a pretty clear difference between the humor in this game compared to the worst stuff getting shown from Forspoken. If it's not your thing that's fine but there's a lot of conclusions being drawn itt over like a 2 minute trailer. It is possible that it being a gamepass title has lowered the bar considerably but it feels like a very well polished saturday morning cartoon kinda thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pizza tower is out!

KNR
May 3, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I feel like that Morrigan Burst-fire Assault Rifle is always going to have the same 2 mods.
How does "20% more damage" make any sense as a fixed aspect of the gun? 20% more than what? Other level 14 guns? Other rating 72 guns? Other level 14 rating 72 morrigan's with a different mod? The game looks exactly like it's about sifting though piles of randomly generated trash.

Though really it's the modern trend of generic power ratings that really baffles me. While Diablo likes have always been repulsive to me, I can at least conceptually see the appeal in crunching all the numbers and finetuning your build to get the maximum dps or whatever. Replacing that with a power level treadmill feels like expressly highlighting the meaningless artifice of it all, which doesn't feel like something either game designers or players would want to.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kibayasu posted:

"Meme" now basically means anything you want it to. It rules.
In this case I really meant meme, because it's clear to me that they were referencing the popular meme format (which itself references the movie cliche), and not just earnestly using the movie trope directly.

Cowcaster posted:

it's the easiest thing in the world not to play a videogame, for any reason, actually
Don't play it for whatever reason you want, such as not giving a poo poo about the game, or thinking it looks bad, but if you're writing off a game that you would otherwise be interested in because of this, well that's weird!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't not play a videogame

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gentlemen this is the steam thread, you can only not play a game once you’ve paid for it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

Don't play it for whatever reason you want, such as not giving a poo poo about the game, or thinking it looks bad, but if you're writing off a game that you would otherwise be interested in because of this, well that's weird!

i didn't even know the game existed before yesterday and the trailer instantly gave me a violent allergic reaction, what's giving the impression that i would otherwise be interested in it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dread Templar is out, one of you nerds go play through the entire thing and tell me how it is before Feb 2.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I had negative interest in the game based off that announcement trailer.

Then I found out it was a rhythm action game and those are literal crack to me. So wishlisted.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What's the deal with Pizza Tower?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

kazil posted:

What's the deal with Pizza Tower?

It's wario land.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love big chunky granular stats but I hate when games have multiple stats that do essentially the same thing. I always think of Grim Dawn as my go-to example of terribly overblown stats. First of all there are like 17 different elements, and each element has an associated damage type, and each damage type has its own set of associated stats like damage, damage over time, crit, and also it's own unique resistance value. Your character generally only deals one type of damage, so right off the bat a whole lot of items are useless to you. But it gets even worse because sometimes an item will roll with a stat that's split between two damage types, like pierce/acid damage, each of them at a lower value than pure pierce or acid would be, and those items are only useful to very specific builds that deal split damage types. That's not even including the possibility of items that don't have ANY stats related to the damage type you deal, which are almost always not worth using. The end result is that approximately maybe 1 in 60+ items is even potentially relevant for your build.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Dread Templar is out, one of you nerds go play through the entire thing and tell me how it is before Feb 2.
idk about february 2 but i do own it and i'll be playing it soon. one thing that concerns me is that one critic felt the final two acts were getting repetitive. so that worries me a little

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i didn't even know the game existed before yesterday and the trailer instantly gave me a violent allergic reaction, what's giving the impression that i would otherwise be interested in it
I dunno, I guess that you posted a testimonial in its favour and have only specified that one thing as the reason you wouldn't touch it.

Cowcaster posted:

ironically even though i'm never going to touch it for that grave insult of the first 15 seconds of the trailer my brother did pick it up on game pass and is having a good time with it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother likes gears of war and disgaea games too. we like different things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He sounds cool

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Agent355 posted:

It's wario land.

Oh man, I loved Wario Land as a kid. I will definitely check this out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

He got gears?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cowcaster posted:

Is he single

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cowcaster posted:

The phrasing on this is just making me imagine the dumbest Fight Club reboot imaginable

The self-assault scene is a dude beating himself over whether to play a title kb/m or controller

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll get the game if I can play it on my steam deck.
It's an Unreal Engine 5 game so it might be anywhere between "a little bumpy, 20-something FPS" and "unplayable slideshow".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/DemonsTilt/status/1618659216897748993

2023 is going to be a pog year, for games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hi-Fi Rush grades you on three metrics after each fight, so I can't play until I know how to get A/S/S every time

e: actually I do, I do know how to get A/S/S, I get it without even trying sometimes

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-lunar-bundle

Lunar Bundle:
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Avicii Invector encore edition
Those who remain
Helhiem Hassle
Size Matters
Red Ronin
Shadow Hand
Riot-Civil Unrest
My big sister
Heal
Cat lady
Monster Slayers Complete
Savage Halloween
S.W.I.N.E. HD Remaster
10 second Ninja X/ Indie mixtape bundle
1 for $1/5 for $2.99/10 for $4.99

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-strategy-bundle-january-2023
Build your own Strategy Bundle:
War Mongrels
Beholder 3
Blood Bowl Legendary Edition
Wargame airland battle
Interstellar Space Genesis
Secret Goverment
Acts of aggression:Reboot Edition
Deep Sky Derelicts
Grand Age Rome: Gold Edition
Crookz the big heist
Train Valley 2
War game: European Escaltion
The Shrouded Isle
Company of Crime
Townsmens- A kingdom rebuilt
Tropico 4-Collectors edtition

3 for $4.99/5 for $7.99/7 for $9.99

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait, are pogs making a comeback?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Tried the Forspoken demo on PC. Thoughts:

Gameplay was alright, but open world games isn't really my favourite anyway
Environments were quite pretty, calming
The demo didn't have any story, so don't know about that.
80 euro list price is bonkers, unless this is a 120-hour storytelling masterpiece, which I doubt.

I'll probably get it when half price or cheaper, unless another "run around and make things explode in a chill manner" game comes along in the meantime.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how was it decided that S should be a higher grade than A anyway

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like the Dead Space remake is good which, you know, hard to gently caress up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Beaten

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 26, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Hwurmp posted:

It comes from Japan and apparently derives from "special" class tickets for seating on trains and in theaters and the like, eventually spreading to sake grades and the school system letter rankings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It comes from The Mask (1994) where Jim Carrey used "Sssmokin'!" to denote something of high value or skill.