Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just had a tree fall on my shed, I don't even want to call insurance because I feel like they'll jack up the premium more than what I get paid in the long run. No water leak or anything yet, but my gutter is crumpled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Post a couple photos.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PainterofCrap posted:

Kept in the dark and fed bullshit

Love it

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just had a tree fall on my shed, I don't even want to call insurance because I feel like they'll jack up the premium more than what I get paid in the long run. No water leak or anything yet, but my gutter is crumpled.

I probably wouldn't. I'm not calling my homeowners insurance for anything less than 10K (my deductible is 4500 anyway) and even then it would depend on the claim. The way I see it, its for catastrophic losses only.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

BonoMan posted:

.... mushroomed?

PainterofCrap posted:

lol thank you

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh good god. Where to start.
Jesus christ, talk about making your own niche. I get that insurance companies are also out to make money and are not your best friend, but that sounds like a completely parasitic relationship with basically zero benefit to the "client"

Thanks for the effort post.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

PainterofCrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPR1L3GeRU&t=88s

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, talk about making your own niche. I get that insurance companies are also out to make money and are not your best friend, but that sounds like a completely parasitic relationship with basically zero benefit to the "client"

The sad thing is there could be a non-parasitic market for public adjusters in total loss of primary residence scenarios with a time bound fee for service model where they help you compile your contents lists. If they would help you go through pictures, amazon, target, credit card statements, order receipts, room by room checklists, that sort of thing and help you compile it into a spreadsheet that is adjuster friendly. It would help you get all of your stuff back, and with assumed honesty all around, your adjuster would in theory love you. Here is their stuff, receipts for high fraud/dollar value items, all the way down, in an excel doc. Spot audit it where it makes sense ("Did you really have $50 shampoo?")

But the money in that is far lower than attaching themselves to the structure rebuild costs, because if your house burned to the ground they stand to make a % of several hundred grand in rebuild costs, instead of just the $100k in "stuff" you had inside. And because their contracts have no time-based performance bonus there is no reason to work quickly for you once they have their hooks in you.

With an appropriate contract I would absolutely hire one of those people to compile me a contents list in 90-days, with increased % for doing it in 45 days or whatever. It's painstaking work but they would more than pay for themselves at 20%/45-days vs 12.5%/90-days vs contract is void at day 91.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

H110Hawk posted:

The sad thing is there could be a non-parasitic market for public adjusters in total loss of primary residence scenarios with a time bound fee for service model where they help you compile your contents lists. If they would help you go through pictures, amazon, target, credit card statements, order receipts, room by room checklists, that sort of thing and help you compile it into a spreadsheet that is adjuster friendly. It would help you get all of your stuff back, and with assumed honesty all around, your adjuster would in theory love you. Here is their stuff, receipts for high fraud/dollar value items, all the way down, in an excel doc. Spot audit it where it makes sense ("Did you really have $50 shampoo?")

This is exactly what our PA did after our (near) total loss following a fire, but it was also an unusual situation. We ended up in a dispute with the insurance company pretty quickly and had to talk with a lawyer almost right off the bat. The PA couldn't collect a fee on the structure since the insurance ended up paying the full policy limit, so all they handled was contents and helping us out when the insurance was trying to put us up in an apartment two towns away. Ultimately got us very close to our policy limit on contents, which was absolutely huge compared to the brick wall we were hitting with the insurance adjuster.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

After dealing with the assholes at USAA on a roof repair I would absolutely be tempted to commission anyone who could convincingly promise to extract the most they could out of the company.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Tiny Timbs posted:

After dealing with the assholes at USAA on a roof repair I would absolutely be tempted to commission anyone who could convincingly promise to extract the most they could out of the company.

That's not good to hear, as a fellow USAA user. I thought their customer service was supposed to be pretty good... I have never had to file a claim with them though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got some joists that may be separating where they butt together. I don't know if the gap has always been there or is changing. It looks like the joist they all butt up against is maybe twisting?

My plan is to nail these brackets in. Is there any reason not to? Or to do anything else.

From below:

Bracket:

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MetaJew posted:

That's not good to hear, as a fellow USAA user. I thought their customer service was supposed to be pretty good... I have never had to file a claim with them though.

It's a crapshoot which bucket of support you get assigned to based on your region and some other mystery factors. Some people have great experiences, a lot have experiences like I did across all their insurance products. For me, they've generally been extremely unhelpful, unresponsive, and unwilling to work through any issues or disagreements (like when their adjuster tells us one thing in person and then declares the opposite on their report).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the great info on the tree situation, fellas. I went without the PA and spoke directly with my agency who put me in touch with the insurance company, who sent out their own adjustor. She took some pictures, heard my story, and within a day they'd set up some roof contractors to tarp up the roof mid-next week (the tree guy is coming on Monday). I'll let you know how things turn out.

In January alone, I've had that Lally column in my crawlspace snap, a tree fall on my home, and I just tested positive for covid for the first time. 2023 is off to a resounding start.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 26, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vim Fuego posted:

I've got some joists that may be separating where they butt together. I don't know if the gap has always been there or is changing. It looks like the joist they all butt up against is maybe twisting?

My plan is to nail these brackets in. Is there any reason not to? Or to do anything else.

From below:

Bracket:

Nope.Get joist hangers. I just guessed on the size of those members, not sure if they're 2x10 or 2x8. The lazy part of me is considering that they're holding without a joist hanger so one that's too small is still an improvement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-LU-Galvanized-Face-Mount-Joist-Hanger-for-2x8-Nominal-Lumber-LU28/203302255

"Install with (8) 0.162 in. x 3-1/2 in. nails in the header and (6) 0.148 in. x 1-1/2 in. nails in the joist; #9 x 1-1/2 in. Strong-Drive SD screws may also be used"

Also get a good quality screw and a pry bar. Drive the screw into the rim joist or girder (the doubled up one), and pry against the bottom of the joist hanger and joist to raise it and snug it up. I can't find a good image to show what I mean so I'll just struggle with words. Hook the pry bar to the screw and the knuckle where it bends against the wood and you can push it up higher with less effort. Get it nice and snug.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

My wife has USAA for a lot of stuff and it seems like the things that are in-house are still pretty good but anything they've subcontracted out for is poo poo. Their roadside assistance was completely terrible the night we were stranded with a dead battery at a gas station outside of the BWI airport. I have never been so close to an airport for so long and still missed the flight.

Edit: Thinking about it now I bet if I'd gotten an Uber to the nearest AutoZone i probably could have replaced the battery in time to get us on the plane lmao.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Post a couple photos.

I would but the app just gives me an error and I don't think I can use imgur anymore.

I have another issue: there's a creek that floods frequently by my house. One issue is that it makes the street impassable due to water velocity during heavy rains, I'm pretty sure only the sewer district can fix that. However, behind my house floods pretty good and washes away any effort at landscaping. Any landscaper I've talked to just shrugs at it due to the amount of water. Any idea about what kind of professional can help navigate unique backyard water issues?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Danhenge posted:

My wife has USAA for a lot of stuff and it seems like the things that are in-house are still pretty good but anything they've subcontracted out for is poo poo. Their roadside assistance was completely terrible the night we were stranded with a dead battery at a gas station outside of the BWI airport. I have never been so close to an airport for so long and still missed the flight.

Edit: Thinking about it now I bet if I'd gotten an Uber to the nearest AutoZone i probably could have replaced the battery in time to get us on the plane lmao.

I got great assistance through SafeCo when my battery died. The worker recommended a NOCO Boost for the future. I have a Weego but it sucks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

StormDrain posted:

Nope.Get joist hangers. I just guessed on the size of those members, not sure if they're 2x10 or 2x8. The lazy part of me is considering that they're holding without a joist hanger so one that's too small is still an improvement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-LU-Galvanized-Face-Mount-Joist-Hanger-for-2x8-Nominal-Lumber-LU28/203302255

"Install with (8) 0.162 in. x 3-1/2 in. nails in the header and (6) 0.148 in. x 1-1/2 in. nails in the joist; #9 x 1-1/2 in. Strong-Drive SD screws may also be used"

Also get a good quality screw and a pry bar. Drive the screw into the rim joist or girder (the doubled up one), and pry against the bottom of the joist hanger and joist to raise it and snug it up. I can't find a good image to show what I mean so I'll just struggle with words. Hook the pry bar to the screw and the knuckle where it bends against the wood and you can push it up higher with less effort. Get it nice and snug.

Will do. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry I'm not sure if this is a good thread for appliances or not but my Bosch front loading washer is making a wild buzzing sound any time the drum is rotated (by hand even). I checked as best I can to see if there was anything between the tub and the seal and couldn't find anything. Any good way of checking this that I'm not doing? Anything else to check? It's not the drain pump which is working fine, I know there's a little door down there and I did open it up, nothing really down there beyond some hair. Super confused.

e: Videos with sound:

https://imgur.com/a/CskFuK9

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 27, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can you pull the cover off and run it to try and narrow it down?

Which Bosch is it? We had a set but the people who bought our last home really wanted them so their offer was to include them, which we did. We then found out Bosch no longer made full-size North American units anymore and purchased an Electrolux set.

e: You put up the vids after I replied.

I don't know what the layout of yours is but I'm looking towards bearings but its a little tough without knowing what it used to sound like. How old is it?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 27, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Can you pull the cover off and run it to try and narrow it down?

Which Bosch is it? We had a set but the people who bought our last home really wanted them so their offer was to include them, which we did. We then found out Bosch no longer made full-size North American units anymore and purchased an Electrolux set.

Thanks, I updated my post with a link to 3 videos that have sound. it's a Bosch 'Ascenta' WAP24200UC. Yes I needed a bucket and a mop, when I opened the drain/lint port.

I've only owned them (stackable set) since April (when I moved here, they're about 8 years old I think) but I've been super happy with both.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 27, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

April? As in 9 months? Thats gotta still be under warranty isn't it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry that's poor wording on my behalf, I moved here in April but they're older than that, I think 2015 is likely when they were purchased as part of a reno.

slidebite posted:

I don't know what the layout of yours is but I'm looking towards bearings but its a little tough without knowing what it used to sound like. How old is it?

see above, and yeah it just seems so weird that a bearing would be so loud all of a sudden vs getting worse over time. I don't think I can take the cover off very easily as it's a nightmare getting behind it and it's got a dryer on top of it.

It looks like bearing assemblies are a bit of a pain to press/remove and people often buy the whole tub/drum assy and replace that. I'm wondering if it's worth doing for a discontinued product which may have other issues soon enough or if it makes more sense to buy the new model (around $1300 CAD). I'd think if a bearing is going that the belt, clutch, drain pump, etc may not be far behind.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 27, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry that's poor wording on my behalf, I moved here in April but they're older than that, I think 2015 is likely when they were purchased as part of a reno.

Haha great edit, I was so confused as to how you confused "last April" with "the year 2015".

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does anyone have recommendations for shower cleaner/bleach solutions to try and kill and bleach mold/mildew that's forming in the corners and under some clear silicone caulk for my frameless shower glass?

I have heard people mention that there are some strong solutions you can put down, cover in paper towels and periodically moisten for several hours that can actually get rid of mildew stains, but I don't know what products actually work.

Unfortunately the little curb around the perimeter of my shower has a grout line down the middle and despite clear silicone being used between the vertical glass and the curb, water has still managed to seep under and allow mildew to grow.

I have zero clue how to cut out and redo silicone on a frameless shower, so if it can be rectified with chemical cleaners I would be very happy.

Despite trying to squeegee the glass and walls after every shower, I cannot seem to convince my wife to do the same and I don't think only squeegeeing will even completely solve the problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VelociBacon posted:

see above, and yeah it just seems so weird that a bearing would be so loud all of a sudden vs getting worse over time. I don't think I can take the cover off very easily as it's a nightmare getting behind it and it's got a dryer on top of it.
The noise of the washing machine normal operation masks the "abnormal" sounds... until it doesn't. Bearing failure modes are kinda funny. They generally do give lots of warning, so much so you may need very sensitive equipment to detect/trend, but when it starts getting "bad" they can go downhill really, really fast. Especially in an environment like a washer drum.

It's really hard to say for sure what it is. I'm not saying for sure it is a bearing, and if it is which one(s) (drum or potentially even drive) but drum bearing failures are not rare for many front load washers.

Have you noticed any weird stains on your clothes?

I actually pioneered a method of Re&Re drum bearings on a different FL back in the day because you're right the OEM wanted to sell basically the drum and everything for mucho $$ instead of $30 worth of bearings and seals, but yeah, regardless of the brand it isn't a small job and may/may not require special tools like blind pullers. If it's a drive bearing it might be easier to replace than the drum. Maybe.

8ish years old isn't ancient for a quality set, and in my experience Bosch is not typically crap, but it's not super new either.

Might be worth your while to find someone with experience repairing Bosch/Euro makers (not necessarily the same as selling them) and ask for their opinion even if it costs you a few bucks for a call to your house.

If it's a $1K repair, I'd be hard pressed to put anywhere near that in a 7-8 year old washer.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I would but the app just gives me an error and I don't think I can use imgur anymore.

I have another issue: there's a creek that floods frequently by my house. One issue is that it makes the street impassable due to water velocity during heavy rains, I'm pretty sure only the sewer district can fix that. However, behind my house floods pretty good and washes away any effort at landscaping. Any landscaper I've talked to just shrugs at it due to the amount of water. Any idea about what kind of professional can help navigate unique backyard water issues?

Someone local who knows, literally, the lay of the land - but don’t expect miracles; water features such as yours are not easy rto mitigate; it is something that local, state & federal agencies would have to deal with.

I’d ask one of your landscapers, or a local engineer.

MetaJew posted:

I know a couple people that work there. They’re still pretty good - I still have my homeowners with them - but they are gradually going the way of Nationwide. Chubb is heading that way as well.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

PainterofCrap posted:

I know a couple people that work there. They’re still pretty good - I still have my homeowners with them - but they are gradually going the way of Nationwide. Chubb is heading that way as well.

I’ve been with Allstate for a long time (though I guess the homeowners policy is Pacific Specialty as I was told Allstate wasn’t writing new homeowners policies, it’s still managed by my same Allstate agent though). I keep wondering if I should switch to someone else - who do you think is the most trustworthy?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Someone local who knows, literally, the lay of the land - but don’t expect miracles; water features such as yours are not easy rto mitigate; it is something that local, state & federal agencies would have to deal with.

I’d ask one of your landscapers, or a local engineer.

Is there a name for the kind of engineer who can do this kind of stuff?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Civil engineer

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Before you go to an engineer about solutions I would talk to a local official. It’s a permitting and land use question first before it’s an engineering question. Look up something like environmental services, stormwater management, or stream monitoring in your area.

If you’re living next to a creek that actively floods it probably has some kind of wetland designation that limits what you can do. Also it’s generally better for the health of a stream to flood rather than cut a deep channel.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

Before you go to an engineer about solutions I would talk to a local official. It’s a permitting and land use question first before it’s an engineering question. Look up something like environmental services, stormwater management, or stream monitoring in your area.

If you’re living next to a creek that actively floods it probably has some kind of wetland designation that limits what you can do. Also it’s generally better for the health of a stream to flood rather than cut a deep channel.

I'm not looking to modify the creek directly, just trying to figure out how to manage the impact on my yard. I'm planning to follow up with the stormwater district separately for a more complete solution, but I expect that to take between 10 and infinity years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not looking to modify the creek directly, just trying to figure out how to manage the impact on my yard. I'm planning to follow up with the stormwater district separately for a more complete solution, but I expect that to take between 10 and infinity years.

If the creek ends up in your yard any impact mitigation is by definition modifying the creek.

Take the advice given and found out how this stream and land around it is designated and who is in charge. If you do something without this knowledge, even something you don't THINK constituted modifying the creek you can end up in some really expensive trouble. Doing anything around wetlands/waterways is not something to be taken lightly.

Your local county ag extension would be another resource you can use to find out what's up with that creek and who to talk to about it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I agree with Motronic. Controlling how water moves through peoples' territory is one of the most important jobs that government has, and indeed, regulating water is one of the primary reasons that governments are created in the first place. Altering the behavior of water can have massive ramifications for other people, so you shouldn't do it lightly. For example, maybe your back yard no longer floods, but now someone else's yard floods so badly that their house suffers permanent damage. Or the water ends up on a major road or something.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For example, maybe your back yard no longer floods, but now someone else's yard floods so badly that their house suffers permanent damage. Or the water ends up on a major road or something.

This is basically exactly what happened to me and my road, my neighbor across the street built up the property to avoid flooding. It's a good reminder, but I've already identified the managing body and had multiple discussions with them on the subject. I'm just trying to figure out who can tell me what I can feasibly do. I wasted a bunch of money on landscaping last year that got power washed away.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I would err on the side of not modifying the creek at all. If your neighbor has caused exacerbated flooding that caused you real damages then you could talk to a lawyer about that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why not ask the wetlands commission about options, or did that bridge get burned going back and forth about your neighbor? Usually they're super happy on the rare occasions someone goes to them before loving something up. If they can't give you detailed advice, they should at least be able to refer you to a contractor

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PainterofCrap posted:

That's a shame, when I was doing mitigation, those were the two companies we loved working with, absolutely no problems ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Why not ask the wetlands commission about options, or did that bridge get burned going back and forth about your neighbor? Usually they're super happy on the rare occasions someone goes to them before loving something up. If they can't give you detailed advice, they should at least be able to refer you to a contractor

The damage was done by the neighbor a long time ago, before I owned the house, and it was approved by the city.

The district hasn't been helpful in prior conversations (they haven't even cleared the debris from their last project from in front of my house), but asking them to recommend a contractor isn't a bad idea, although I don't have high hopes.