Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's because S is higher in the alphabet than A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

S++++ seller would buy again

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Volte posted:

In this case I really meant meme, because it's clear to me that they were referencing the popular meme format (which itself references the movie cliche), and not just earnestly using the movie trope directly.

Don't play it for whatever reason you want, such as not giving a poo poo about the game, or thinking it looks bad, but if you're writing off a game that you would otherwise be interested in because of this, well that's weird!

meme: using that line in real life, as if you were in a movie or video game

not meme: using that line in a movie or video game

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hi-Fi rush has tonne of poo poo going for it

1. Lovely post Spiderverse animation style
2. Some facial tech that makes characters super expressive
3. Devil May Cry meets rhythm game
4. Nearly EVERYTHING is on the beat, so it's actually pretty easy to keep your inputs on the beat on normal difficulty
5. But you don't have to there's a lot of way it doesn't restrict you to the beat
6. Like movement

It's like someone at Platinum decided to do their own version of Necrodancer

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 26, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone who's well versed in the character action genre who can comment on how good Hi-Fi Rush's combat system is and what other games it's more similar to?
I'm always up for some more games of that style but what little gameplay the trailer shows doesn't look very inspiring to be honest.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Hi-Fi rush has tonne of poo poo going for it

1. Lovely post Spiderverse animation style
2. Some facial tech that makes characters super expressive
3. Devil May Cry meets rhythm game
4. Nearly EVERYTHING is on the beat, so it's actually pretty easy to keep your inputs on the beat on normal difficulty
5. But you don't have to there's a lot of way it doesn't restrict you to the beat
6. Like movement

It's like someone at Platinum decided to do their own version of Necrodancer

Tango but yes, really great game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think he meant in terms of game style, not actual developer

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Ah, I see.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8GVePOdpY

Did this "Gameplay Deep Dive" get posted already? Making my way through it now.

There was lots of discussion about whether this is or isn't a "looter shooter" and I had always been leaning towards no, it's not, it's just a game with vaugely statsy weapons like in Fallout rather than Borderlands. Rarity tiers that are all obviously better than the lower tiers, but not like you're rolling 10 different tiers of multiple affixes

Like everything seems a pretty "human" multiple of 5 for almost all values, except for the Vampire blood with kinda arbitrary 9% damage reduction. But again I really don't get the sense that this game is really rolling item drops like a looter game.

Loot discussion aside, I still can't make up my mind on this game. It's Arkane, so I'm almost surely going to buy it -- but my big concern is how much does the game suck playing solo? Either you game is designed around playing as a party or it isn't, it's very hard to design a game for both. Also it seems confused as to how spooky it wants to be. Like so much of the imagery is dark and scary, but then like your flashlight lights up the whole drat room why even have it be dark if it only obscures the absolute edges of your screen :shrug:

it's extremely lame when a loot based game has a giant "RATING: 231" label on everything and then item level / rating / lightlevel / power score or whatever is the only thing that actually matters so you never bother looking at or caring all of the fiddly little rpg stats. At that point just get rid of them all!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watch_Dog Legion is on Steam now and is only $12 currently. But that game wasn't good right?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone who's well versed in the character action genre who can comment on how good Hi-Fi Rush's combat system is and what other games it's more similar to?
I'm always up for some more games of that style but what little gameplay the trailer shows doesn't look very inspiring to be honest.

It's pretty clearly based on Devil May Cry. There's a ranking system, heavy emphasis on mixing up combos and air juggling.

The base is pretty simple light attacks happen every beat, heavy attacks happen every two beats. You want to push buttons on the beat. When you finish a combo input there's a Beat Hit which adds a wrinkle to the combo if you press attack on the beat. For example, single target combos end with an area of effect if you hit the Beat Hit while others propel you into the air so you can start chaining air combos. You have a partner on your right trigger which can break shields or stun cancel or do a different type of attack on a Beat Hit. There's metered super moves as well.

Everything is about hitting the beat, so while you can dodge at any time, dodging on the beat allows you to chain three dodges together. Of course, enemies only attack on the beat as well.

I don't know if a character action veteran would like it as much as the best in the genre, but I found it fun on normal and there seems to be a lot of depth to what you can do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Watch_Dog Legion is on Steam now and is only $12 currently. But that game wasn't good right?

It's worth a look at 12 bucks. They were being a little overly ambitious I think, but it's got some interesting gameplay.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Feels somewhat like Vergil from DmC. But like, the good parts of that game. Lots of just releases, just hits, pause combos, independent ranged option, you get a short-range teleport, etc.

Probably worth full price, definitely worth the american dollar I gave game pass for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I really liked Watch Dogs 2 but Legion is just god awful.
They had a good idea of making a AAA Streets of Rogue but hosed it all up and all you do the whole game is just pilot drones.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I said come in! posted:

It's the second-best game in the series behind 2, but it's a definite step down rather than the you-hope-they-finally-cracked-it third game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Kins posted:

Grounded has an arachnophobia slider. Sliding it gradually removes arachnid characteristics from the giant spiders until they're eventually just a pair of floating single-colour blobs with a pair of red circular eyes.

EDIT: Triple beaten, christ

this is btw. the absolute worst arachnophobe mode (of the two I know!). They become a lot less visible, they completely gently caress the entire visual style of the game and they just miss most parts of their bodies so predictions based on animation are gone as well as size assumptions etc. Its just so bad.

There are so many good ways to address arachnophobia and Obsidian, of course, chose the dumbest possible way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

haldolium posted:

There are so many good ways to address arachnophobia
Have an option to turn all the spider enemies into cute jumping spider buddies who help you out

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Grounded seems like the game you just wouldn't play at all if you had severe arachnophobia

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno how they would maintain animation consistency with spiders without having the thing look like a spider

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

change it to a rabbit that walked on stilts

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Juno: New Origins looks like a Kerbal Space Program that's maybe a little easier? Never heard of it before today. Steam link.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

secretly best girl posted:

It's the second-best game in the series behind 2, but it's a definite step down rather than the you-hope-they-finally-cracked-it third game.

Yep, this sums it up pretty well. I didn't hate it and still had fun with it, but it definitely wasn't as good as 2. I'd say $12 is a pretty solid price.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

kazil posted:

Grounded seems like the game you just wouldn't play at all if you had severe arachnophobia

I am ashamed to say I literally can't play it due to this. It seems like a legit fun game but even with the "blob slider" the gaps get filled in my head.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Ain't as good at the second one but you can have quite a bit of fun with it if you're not Gamer Brain and have to do The Thing the Most Efficient Way all the time.

Jack Trades posted:

I really liked Watch Dogs 2 but Legion is just god awful.
They had a good idea of making a AAA Streets of Rogue but hosed it all up and all you do the whole game is just pilot drones.

Did you play WD2 with nothing but the RC car unless the game forced you to be in there too?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Diabetic posted:

I am ashamed to say I literally can't play it due to this. It seems like a legit fun game but even with the "blob slider" the gaps get filled in my head.

They should have added another notch or two to the slider. The spider is now completely invisible, but you still get attacked.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think there was a system shock 2 troll mod that worked exactly like that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

playing Subnautica helped me get over my phobia of open expanses of water that came from getting stung by a baby man-o-war when I was 6 or 7. I mean I still don't want to go in the ocean but I can watch movies or play video games about it now.

Therefore I agree that

exquisite tea posted:

Shouldn't an arachnophobia mode INCREASE the amount of spiders? They will in my games, that's for sure.

e: I also got bit by a toucan as a kid and gently caress those things still, if anyone knows something that's like Chex Quest but for Froot Loops hit me up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think the game Kill It With Fire exists primarily for people who hate spiders

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Did anyone do the Dead Space remake preorder deal to get Dead Space 2 for free? I just did the preorder but there's no indication that Dead Space 2 was included.

I guess I can always refund it, just wondering what's up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

quote:

Pre-Purchase now and you’ll also receive Dead Space 2 when the remake launches on January 27, 2023.

sounds like tomorrow

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Pizza Tower is insane and super fun.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

deep dish peat moss posted:

playing Subnautica helped me get over my phobia of open expanses of water that came from getting stung by a baby man-o-war when I was 6 or 7. I mean I still don't want to go in the ocean but I can watch movies or play video games about it now.

Therefore I agree that

e: I also got bit by a toucan as a kid and gently caress those things still, if anyone knows something that's like Chex Quest but for Froot Loops hit me up

:same: , but with Xenomorphs in my childhood colony.

My psychologist recommended Alien Isolation, and now I’m an absolute Bad rear end.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This store page just popped up and looks potentially cool. No idea what the game is but it looks striking and a good narrative pitch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2251970/Tokyo_Stories/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The 7th Guest posted:

i think the game Kill It With Fire exists primarily for people who hate spiders
Earth Defense Force takes it to the next level.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its weird that the spiders in skyrim or satisfactory set me off, but the ones in EDF have no effect on me. Maybe its because I can call a tactical nuke on them

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8GVePOdpY

Did this "Gameplay Deep Dive" get posted already? Making my way through it now.

Man I love it when first thing I'm shown is a complete pain in the rear end enemy in a highlight of what to expect in a game.

"Disorienting their prey" You mean me, you mean you put an enemy in your game that disorients me. "Can even shift through the floor to avoid damage!" Cool. Cool. I love undamageable phases AND enemies that shift about.

It looks too horror-focused for me to like it anyway so no loss I guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Croccers posted:

Did you play WD2 with nothing but the RC car unless the game forced you to be in there too?

...yes but that's beside the point.

A poo poo ton of missions in Legion force you to use only the drone and those that don't are often easier with just a drone, which you can equip on any character no matter their traits which completely negates the whole premise.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Its weird that the spiders in skyrim or satisfactory set me off, but the ones in EDF have no effect on me. Maybe its because I can call a tactical nuke on them

Spiders in EDF don't move like spiders.
I don't know about other people but it's the way spiders move that freaks me out the most.

The Hunt is the best/worst at it. Pure nightmare fuel.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Looking through my wishlist, any opinions on these games while on sale ?
The fridge is Red
Mega man x legacy Collections
Megaman zero/zx legacy Collection
Honey I joined a cult
Detroit become human
Mad Father
Justice sucks
Dwarven Skykeep
Magic Potion explorer/magic potion destroyer

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

man that's awesome I didn't know someone made a remake of Devil's Crush *and* Alien Crush