Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They still spammed it three times in one minute.

I don’t care if you’re hosting a learning party, that’s rude as poo poo.

But also lol blue checkmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

flatluigi posted:

the first time i did the cerberus fight someone did the a b c macro but the meme version that tells everyone to get in the belly

we wiped and that person complained
The times I've wiped on that fight are generally after someone starts with the unironic original A B C macro and the people who do grab the chains just don't attach them, period.
I still prefer the meme macro because it's impossible to have too many people go into the belly, but I'm still usually one of like 5 people who make it in.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Doesn’t Cerberus stop eating people after a certain number of people anyway

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
again it was the first time i did the fight so i had no idea what was going on, but i think it was that nobody knew how to do chains (or at least the people who knew assumed other people would do it)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The meme macro is correct.

And yes there's a limit to how many people can fit in the belly but you'll never see it unless you have an FC run or something, pubbies hate the belly.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

flatluigi posted:

the first time i did the cerberus fight someone did the a b c macro but the meme version that tells everyone to get in the belly

we wiped and that person complained

I'm sure this person was actually unironically mad, which is embarrassing and tasteless, but getting your alliance raid wiped and then complaining that everyone wiped will always be funny to me. like i never aim the nier lasers to wipe anyone, but any time I've seen it done it's funniest when whoever spun the laser then launches into alliance chat to be like "hey guys, let's take this seriously :/"

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I’d simply play the game in a courteous way to others since I enjoy seeing other people have fun :cheerdoge:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yesterday I was in C as DPS and I both went in the belly AND attached the chain. :smugdog:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i just go inside every time on cero regardless of class, even as a healer you'll do more in there than outside in 99% parties

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a bizarre delegation anyway because you don't need eight whole people to handle chains

everyone should just do what they want

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Badger of Basra posted:

Doesn’t Cerberus stop eating people after a certain number of people anyway
From a friend that watched a stream where they tried having everyone go in the belly last year, he said that only 8 people could go in.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cerberus is kind of rough to learn anyway, though, because it can be difficult to piece together points of failure from a singular perspective - you have to get hit by the Gastric Bubble BEFORE you jump in the puke puddle, but in the heat of the moment it's pretty easy to miss the spawn of the former and just see people caught in the latter and not get why some die and some don't. And when the chains part becomes available you have to know to not attack the now-helpless target and look around and interact with the wall and then go back and interact with the boss - things you don't really have to do all that often in the game. Plus, only two people can do the chains - but only after the people in the belly are done - and with the way the timers work, there's generally only one shot at it so if whoever has a chain doesn't attach it in time then that's pretty much a wipe.

It's kind of a mess.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

everyone learns that chain carrying is a buff with a timer eventually

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the belly is a powerfully unintuitive mechanic and goes against everything a newbie has been taught to date: "don't kill this add, stand in its slow debuff cast and get debuffed, and then run into an obvious puddle of Bad that you may be able to see some people dying in." I always go for it these days, but I can't blame new players for screwing it up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vitamean posted:

it's a bizarre delegation anyway because you don't need eight whole people to handle chains

everyone should just do what they want

You don't need eight people to handle chains, but World of Darkness (the entire Crystal Tower raid line, in fact) is mostly a big dumb faceroll run by either new people or people who are completely mentally checked out, with Cerberus being the one exception. There's no prizes for being the Number One WoD Do-ers and you never will be, it's just a pass-fail system, and the A-B-C strat has the highest chance of passing given how most of any given WoD run is extremely stupid.

The goal isn't to get eight people to do a two-person mechanic, it's to tell eight people to do a mechanic so that at least two of them register that they have a job for long enough to actually do it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Always
be
Vore

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

You don't need eight people to handle chains, but World of Darkness (the entire Crystal Tower raid line, in fact) is mostly a big dumb faceroll run by either new people or people who are completely mentally checked out, with Cerberus being the one exception. There's no prizes for being the Number One WoD Do-ers and you never will be, it's just a pass-fail system, and the A-B-C strat has the highest chance of passing given how most of any given WoD run is extremely stupid.

The goal isn't to get eight people to do a two-person mechanic, it's to tell eight people to do a mechanic so that at least two of them register that they have a job for long enough to actually do it.

Actually ABC does not have the highest chance of success, since it never gets explained how to get in the belly regardless of if it is the unironic macro or the serious macro so if you're gonna wipe, you're gonna wipe.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah there's a good chance that 16 of the people in there just see an ABC macro and assume it's some meme or something, and blissfully do the fight without knowing what any of those mechanics mean or how to accomplish them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Thundarr posted:

Actually ABC does not have the highest chance of success, since it never gets explained how to get in the belly regardless of if it is the unironic macro or the serious macro so if you're gonna wipe, you're gonna wipe.

Yeah, that's the actual problem with the ABC strat, which is absolutely nothing to do with 'tell eight people to do a two-person job'. Getting in the belly is a weird and unintuitive three-step process that people rarely take the time to explain.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

A

Belly

Certainly is the best place to be for this fight

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All will
Be consumed by
Cerberus

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Ah yes, the strat of chain holding because "it's free damage!" then the chain times out and you watch everyone get vored

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, the belly is a powerfully unintuitive mechanic and goes against everything a newbie has been taught to date: "don't kill this add, stand in its slow debuff cast and get debuffed, and then run into an obvious puddle of Bad that you may be able to see some people dying in." I always go for it these days, but I can't blame new players for screwing it up.

I had a powerful run where the two puddles directly overlapped so the only people that got to get et were the ones in the initial mini cast. Everyone else that tried got Cerb murdered.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Abdomen Bonds Companions

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think y’all worry about this too much I haven’t wiped on Cerberus in years

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Most recent Cerberus wipe I've had was in November last year.

I'd forgotten that you can do belly phase more than once in the same pull.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Meanwhile, in Omega Ultimate: It turns out teams are wiping to a damage race element because Hello World floods them with so many debuffs that it causes some characters to hit the cap of buffs/debuffs a character can have. And if they hit that cap, further buffs and debuffs just won't get applied.

Which is almost definitely a bug, but also feels like exactly an Omega mechanic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hogama posted:

I'd forgotten that you can do belly phase more than once in the same pull.

"You had to do the whole Cerberus song and dance multiple times when WoD was current content" was as shocking a revelation to me as "when Syrcus was current, Glasya Labolas had incredibly complicated mechanics."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Meanwhile, in Omega Ultimate: It turns out teams are wiping to a damage race element because Hello World floods them with so many debuffs that it causes some characters to hit the cap of buffs/debuffs a character can have. And if they hit that cap, further buffs and debuffs just won't get applied.

Which is almost definitely a bug, but also feels like exactly an Omega mechanic.

It would legitimately be funny if the intended failure state is "by taking too long you received so many loving debuffs that your buffer overran and you glitched to death".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antivehicular posted:

"You had to do the whole Cerberus song and dance multiple times when WoD was current content" was as shocking a revelation to me as "when Syrcus was current, Glasya Labolas had incredibly complicated mechanics."

"Oh, there's adds. They've tethered. Should we do something about them? ...No? Just keep beating his face? Okay then."

So, if those adds did the now-standard invincibility phase when they tether, how hosed would the braindead CT runners be?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dareon posted:

"Oh, there's adds. They've tethered. Should we do something about them? ...No? Just keep beating his face? Okay then."

So, if those adds did the now-standard invincibility phase when they tether, how hosed would the braindead CT runners be?

Extremely. Glasya probably hasn't had the chance to summon the robots since sometime in 2017, let alone the island hopping while he charges up his spirit bomb. The alliance would be lucky if 1 in 3 had ever seen them, and less would remember what to do about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cleretic posted:

Wait, is that why the phase four section and Blue Screen seems like it's way too short to be a proper burn?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

no, Blue Screen is by all indications the puzzle of the fight, and appears in phase 4

dps issues due to the buff cap are occurring in phase 3

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When do teams usually stream their prog?

Also, unrelated, but

https://twitter.com/NecroIogos/status/1618324141488377857?t=36k327D4bl1AS3ETLm102Q&s=19

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

TheWorldsaStage posted:

When do teams usually stream their prog?
The easiest way to follow along is on https://www.twitch.tv/mogtalk which usually has multiple streams up as well as a progress tracker.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Much like every other member of the Scions, Alphinaud was vastly improved by having someone around to bully him occasionally.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cleretic posted:

this sounds incredibly frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pwnstar posted:

Much like every other member of the Scions, Alphinaud was vastly improved by having someone around to bully him occasionally.

This game has genuinely showed me how important it is for a character to have some kind of counter-voice against them for me to consider them 'good'. Alphinaud is basically the god-example, but there are so many others later on.

It's the main reason Gaius is so good now, and not only does it save Past Lahabrea in Pandaemonium, but his hatred of Azem also fixes most of my complaints about that character. It's the only reason the Bozjan Resistance really has any character at all, let's be honest. And I hold that it's the main reason Fandaniel even exists at all, making Emet's entire plan and worldview more realistic and digestible by showing that it loving sucks and doesn't work.