Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Hiro shall kick down JSA's door with his calves of steel and install Kaisei as the emperor of sumo bringing a new golden age of global appreciation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t really get a read on how/if JSA wants to approach marking themselves to foreign audiences. Their partnership with the NHK is a given and it looks like NHK is the one issuing strikes which I guess makes sense because the NHK has no vested interest in a market they don’t sell to. Crappy highlights show aside, I suppose.

I don’t think the JSA can do much about NHK’s position so I can’t decipher whether the JSA is just stuck with the broadcast partners they have or whether they actually want to start changing things up and making it more available outside Japan. Based on the evidence to date (mainly inaction, to be fair), they don’t really seem to be actively pursuing any foreign broadcast partners, only domestic (NHK, Abema); Whether that’s because of existing obligations (contractually can’t solicit foreign broadcast) or they’re just not interested is something I can’t put my finger on. Could also be that there isn’t the logistics to provide footage to foreign carriers — I presume all the cameras and equipment for broadcast are NHK owned, and as previously stated, NHK don’t really have anything to gain from being obligated to provide their footage, short of $$$ which may not be there for a sport that is probably not popular enough abroad. In my mind I’m sure if someone threw $$$ at the JSA and NHK they’d reconsider, but whoever that is would probably not recoup their costs in viewer revenue.

The fact they instituted Sumo Prime Time gives me some hope that they’re seeing foreign interest but whether that means foreign distribution is actually on their road map.. who knows.

I would pay real dollars to just legally get NHK broadcasts of the salaried ranks, if that were possible. I don’t WANT to jump through hoops to watch it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 25, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I feel like the best bet overall is somehow getting Abema to offer an international paid product, they have the infrastructure, it's all technically already set up and functional, they just need to agree to take my money.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Brut posted:

I feel like the best bet overall is somehow getting Abema to offer an international paid product, they have the infrastructure, it's all technically already set up and functional, they just need to agree to take my money.

The problem is Abema looks low rent compared to the NHK English feed. It's washed out, too much information noise, and static. No cinematography, no English. The NHK feed is so much superior and its genuinely painful how hard it is to get a hold of.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
if you took a shot for every weird zoom on an abema broadcast you'd be dead in the ground before the end of day 1

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Lid posted:

The problem is Abema looks low rent compared to the NHK English feed. It's washed out, too much information noise, and static. No cinematography, no English. The NHK feed is so much superior and its genuinely painful how hard it is to get a hold of.

That's cuz you're seeing bad rebroadcasts at like 540p or whatever, go find a working Japanese VPN and look at the actual Abema feed.

You can get an NHK feed with IPTV services, but they don't support switching over to the English broadcast unfortunately.

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 25, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khizan posted:

The talk about kyujo protection and such has got me thinking about the sumo ranking system in general, and really I'm not sure that the problem right now is weakness at the top of the banzuke.

My logic here is that sumo ranks are set up to reward clearly dominant rikishi. You get sekiwake by stringing together consecutive KKs, and you lose it as soon as you MK. You get ozeki by reaching Sekiwake and then averaging 11 wins per basho over three consective bashos. Getting these ranks just doesn't require you to be good, it requires you to be clearly and definitively superior. The current failure of anybody to put up an ozeki run doesn't really mean "none of them are good", it means that none of them are enough of an outlier to consistently dominate the others. Looking at things now,, in the sanyaku we have Takakeisho, the Waka brothers, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, and Kotonowaka, with the joi-jin also being filled out with Tobizaru, Daieisho, Abi, Ryuden, and Tamawashi. That's a lot of good rikishi. IMO the problem might not really be that nobody is good so much as that everybody is.

I partly agree, but then for example Wakatakakage keeps throwing away losses to low ranked rikishi. The opportunities has certainly been there, but the consistency hasn't.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Brut posted:

That's cuz you're seeing bad rebroadcasts at like 540p or whatever, go find a working Japanese VPN and look at the actual Abema feed.
I watch Midnight Sumo who does 720p from their Abema feed. The main dohyo camera for Abema has the white balance set to auto, you can tell because the moment the judges come up for a mono-ii it's like a drat flashbang went off.

NHK Plus IPTV has the english feed, but you have to jump through some wild rear end hoops to get access to NHK Plus, and even then it'll only be good for one month before they nuke the account.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Lol conversations like this remind me of the old days of mma. Or kickboxing ever.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Oh snap I finally got an autograph sumo card from the main set

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Marching Powder posted:

Lol conversations like this remind me of the old days of mma. Or kickboxing ever.
yeah there were a couple of years back in the early 2010s where if you either had to watch badly artifacted, whack-a-mole livestrams of pirated mongolian tv feeds of makuuchi, or wait a bit and catch a digest of whatever kintamayama could scrounge up for a youtube summary. really hope we're not regressing back to that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

Yo this is super sick. I'm tipping that kid to do great things.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

Crappy highlights show aside, I suppose.

what's wrong with the highlights, other than being withheld for 24hr so you have to watch it on live TV?

if i could just watch last night's matches whenever i want, i would be happy with that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Wish this was unexpected. AFAIK, the sole English-language NHK licensee that carries the full tournament is in the UK, and has been going hyper aggro the last two basho against streams. They were harassing mbovo last time, kept showing up in his stream to spam telling people to go pay for their service if they want sumo, apparently unable to grasp that they're talking to a bunch of mostly US and Australia people who couldn't if they wanted to.

who is the licensee? is there really no way to watch this, even with a VPN in the UK?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

NHK World show highlights in the UK and is available on Virgin Media, I don't know if it is available on any other platform.

They also air a longer broadcast live on the first and last day.

I just watch it live elsewhere.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Dead Goon posted:

NHK World show highlights in the UK and is available on Virgin Media, I don't know if it is available on any other platform.

NHK on Virgin was how I got into sumo, I watch streams and YouTubes and stuff now but being able to record each days highlights was a huge boost at the start, plus sumopedia and their other specials.

I'm definitely anti whoever that was that shut down Jason too, I'm not sure what they could offer that outdoes NHK World in the first place but loving with an OG of making the sport accessible to a western audience is enough for me to never pay them.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Dead Goon posted:

There's a free NHK app on Roku that does the same, although I'm in the US so I don't know if it works in the UK.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, is this not available in the UK?
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Shiroc posted:

I was able to get Oho in this set which I was pretty happy about!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nice. Oho is also the sound you make when you pull an Oho autograph card.

I've been buying 1 box of each set as they come out since 2020 and was beginning to think I'd never get one.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

NHK World has a free internet stream.

You can watch sumo right here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Well, okay, you can't watch it NOW, you can watch NHK Newsline, followed by "Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia." But the general point stands.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Log082 posted:

"Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia."

Having just returned from a trip to Malaysia, the amount of deforestation is depressing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Log082 posted:

NHK World has a free internet stream.

You can watch sumo right here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Well, okay, you can't watch it NOW, you can watch NHK Newsline, followed by "Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia." But the general point stands.

That's the channel that only shows the last hour of Sumo and only on Sundays.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
It's the typical issue of "If the official offerings weren't such garbage, people wouldn't bother with pirating."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If you are in Japan with access to Japanese television how difficult is it to watch sumo?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lid posted:

If you are in Japan with access to Japanese television how difficult is it to watch sumo?

it's on nhk

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lid posted:

You cant

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

The YDC personally come round and slap the TV remote out of your hand.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Lid posted:

You just turn the TV on.

I think you misread what you're replying to.

e:

verbal enema posted:

I was just being an rear end

:(

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 27, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was just being an rear end

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Brut posted:

That's the channel that only shows the last hour of Sumo and only on Sundays.

That's only partially true? They do a highlights broadcast of (mostly) the upper division with English commentary, but they do it every day of the basho. They also do a live broadcast of the last couple hours of last day or two of the basho as well. They don't show the lower ranks, which is a shame, but if you need a sumo fix and everything keeps taking down NHK will at least get you Makuuchi.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

what's wrong with the highlights, other than being withheld for 24hr so you have to watch it on live TV?

if i could just watch last night's matches whenever i want, i would be happy with that.

I say crappy only compared to the YouTube options but I agree it was a little unfair. I got my start in Sumo by watching the highlights and if I didn't know other options existed I would probably think it was just fine.

My shortlist of peeves with the highlights show in a vacuum is that it's not on demand, and it's delayed.

In the context of the other options available on youtube are that I just prefer not hearing/understanding the commentary of the NHK raw broadcast (the english commentary on highlights just doesn't do it for me), but I'm like that about most sports -- I'd rather hear no commentary and just be left to my own devices to think about what I'm seeing, and the fact that it's in Japanese helps. I'll understand bits and pieces of it in my (very) broken pre-elementary Japanese comprehension, but for the most part I can tune it out.

The amount of work that Natto does to collect/present stats and information I think makes it impossible to argue in good faith that it's not a technically better product for a Sumo fan than what NHK will give you, so at this point I just compare every official or non-official offering to that.

If the NHK packaged up Grand Sumo Highlights and ran it on YouTube immediately after the tournament day concluded I think that I'd be mostly placated. I'm just set up for needing to be in front of my TV at a certain time to catch the highlights show. It's been a while since I watched it though, so I don't remember if they actually only play it at certain times, if it is on-demand-but-delayed, or always has been that way.

This is one of those things where I naively say something like "well if I ran NHK I would just pluck Natto and slap him a salary to do the international broadcast" like I'm undisputed king of Japanese media or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 27, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My shortlist of peeves with the highlights show in a vacuum is that it's not on demand, and it's delayed.
But it is on demand, right here: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep I stand corrected. Then maybe it was just the fact that it was delayed that got me to move. Honestly it’s been so long since I used the highlights that I barely remember the experience so take whatI say with a grain of salt.

E: Oh ok yeah, no I’m remembering the problem now. When I was still waiting on NHK I was on my AppleTV and there was an NHK World app, but I think it was difficult to navigate and hard to find the on-demand stuff. Now that I’m on a Chromecast I don’t even have an NHK app I can load from their app store, and I’m not terribly interested in watching on my Mac or iPad so that’s another strike. But that’s against NHK in general, not the highlight specifically.

So I guess my complaint then comes down to accessibility. Anyway, I’ve talked it to death. Preference is strongly to watch one of the alternatives on YouTube since that’s easy, or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 27, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)
This is definitely the way to do it. If worse comes to worst, the NHK World app (at least on Android) does let you cast video, because to hell with watching all that massive DOSUKOI ACTION on a tiny phone/tablet screen.

e: John Gunning on Takakeisho's promotion prospects, depaywalled: https://archive.ph/hY4h0

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 27, 2023

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Watching legally is annoying enough that I ignore even attempting it and just watch pirate streams. Its fun to watch live and comment with other people the odd night i can afford to stay up til 3am. Its not a real basho unless you've done the stream banned time to find the new channel dance at least once.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
The guest of honor has arrived at Hakuho's retirement ceremony
https://twitter.com/41JaP68ADY5E1bL/status/1619162937335382016?t=AzlhuW6asmcaDpZb4Gc1Tg&s=19

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yep I stand corrected. Then maybe it was just the fact that it was delayed that got me to move. Honestly it’s been so long since I used the highlights that I barely remember the experience so take whatI say with a grain of salt.

E: Oh ok yeah, no I’m remembering the problem now. When I was still waiting on NHK I was on my AppleTV and there was an NHK World app, but I think it was difficult to navigate and hard to find the on-demand stuff. Now that I’m on a Chromecast I don’t even have an NHK app I can load from their app store, and I’m not terribly interested in watching on my Mac or iPad so that’s another strike. But that’s against NHK in general, not the highlight specifically.

So I guess my complaint then comes down to accessibility. Anyway, I’ve talked it to death. Preference is strongly to watch one of the alternatives on YouTube since that’s easy, or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)

Eh, flip to fullscreen and cast to your TV.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I had my first ever sumo dream.
I dreamed I was a sumo wrestler, and I was quite a bit bigger than I really am. I was wandering around a big tournament venue in my white mawashi, asking people for directions to the toilet. I found the bathroom eventually and woke up. Found out I didn't really needed to go, then I fell asleep again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I had a dream earlier this week where the JSA held a Grand Sumo event at the MGM Grand in Vegas, and I hung out with a really dapper dressed Kaisei as we wandered to the arena.