Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Agent Escalus posted:

I'd REALLY like to think that you can credit Respawn and Jedi Fallen Order for EA seeing the financial sense in both bringing back Dead Space to (hopefully) sell like that again and for them not...well, going all EA with it. They got rightfully roasted for that with SW-BattleFront 2 and I'd hope they'd learn a lesson from the sales numbers for JFO that we as consumers would really prefer high-quality campaigns over forced multiplayer and IAPs and loot boxes and hey EA isn't on the NFT bandwagon...right?
About the only publisher that hasn’t retreated on NFTs is Square Enix, though afaik none of them have explicitly foreclosed on ever trying to go back to that well (save maybe the STALKER 2 folks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Basic Chunnel posted:

About the only publisher that hasn’t retreated on NFTs is Square Enix, though afaik none of them have explicitly foreclosed on ever trying to go back to that well (save maybe the STALKER 2 folks)

Loads of them are still working on NFT stuff, they've just paused the marketing for another couple years.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The president of Square Enix went in really hard on it, to the point of selling a bunch of valuable IPs to fund the endeavor. They can't abandon it because that would basically be him admitting he really hosed up badly.

Also, I don't think there are other developers still working on it, except for maybe a few random companies run by idiots. The market has collapsed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The president of Square Enix went in really hard on it, to the point of selling a bunch of valuable IPs to fund the endeavor. They can't abandon it because that would basically be him admitting he really hosed up badly.

yeah, it's 100% just a move to not piss off investors at this point. there'll be increasingly fewer mentions of it in every financial report and then it'll be quietly swept under the rug within a year

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, I went back on my previous claim and got Dead Space after finding out I could get 10% off with a preorder, I'm not really worried but I'll just do the refund again if it somehow turns out terrible. I was surprised to see it's less than half the size of Callisto Protocol on PC, at a 35 GB install. It feels like the first modern release I've downloaded in a while now that doesn't feel way too huge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I went back on my previous claim and got Dead Space after finding out I could get 10% off with a preorder, I'm not really worried but I'll just do the refund again if it somehow turns out terrible. I was surprised to see it's less than half the size of Callisto Protocol on PC, at a 35 GB install. It feels like the first modern release I've downloaded in a while now that doesn't feel way too huge.

aside from the ishimura being prime asset reuse territory, DSR's probably helped by them sticking to the original's presentation fairly closely, so all the character models and animations only need to stand up to the scrutiny of viewing them in third person from the comfort of your couch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vermain posted:

aside from the ishimura being prime asset reuse territory, DSR's probably helped by them sticking to the original's presentation fairly closely, so all the character models and animations only need to stand up to the scrutiny of viewing them in third person from the comfort of your couch

Yeah, it makes sense that it wouldn't be huge, but I thought Callisto Protocol also followed that same general design. I returned that 20 minutes in though, so I guess I don't have any actual experience for its design.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, it makes sense that it wouldn't be huge, but I thought Callisto Protocol also followed that same general design. I returned that 20 minutes in though, so I guess I don't have any actual experience for its design.

callisto has a ton of proper in-engine cutscenes with the usual passive media formula, so all the models need to be highly complex, incredibly detailed, and have faces that can portray a huge range of emotions to allow the director to put the camera wherever it's needed without it looking weird

from what i've seen of DSR, it's only got the standard DS1 style of cutscene where it's you as isaac mulling around while people jabber at you from behind glass panels, so you can afford to have way less complexity on all of the models and still have it look good, since you don't have to worry about the camera zooming in on someone's mannequin face

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah I see, yeah, that would make sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've played about 3ish? hours of Callisto Protocol and it doesn't seem bad at all. I guess the worst thing about it so far is that it's unremarkable. Not without any merit though. The melee combat is actually pretty drat good imo. It's very Visceral (no pun intended) and chunky each hit you land on an enemy feels crushing as well as getting hit. I would not have handled all of the dodging and blocking on the left stick personally, but eh. I guess it works well enough. The shooting is just dull and not all that useful so that kind of sucks, because I would have preferred a shooter to a melee game. I can't hate though because the melee is the one unique thing that stands out in the game.

The story and the environments are just super meh though. Really don't care about whats going on at all and I don't think the prison has the sense of place needed for a good survival horror/action game. The environments look really nice, but I don't feel like I'm making my way through a prison as much as it feels like a generic video game dungeon. It kind of fucks up the immersion because anything in this genre should be killing it in that dept and TCP is not.

Glad I waited to pay $40 for it but I like it enough. I'm happy I picked it up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fatal Frame rules and I hope 4 does well enough that they remake 1-3. 2 kinda already has a remake on the Wii that uses 4's engine so that's probably what they'll port next if 4 sells enough.

Is that the version of fatal frame 2 where they all have british accents? (which rules)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

I've played about 3ish? hours of Callisto Protocol and it doesn't seem bad at all. I guess the worst thing about it so far is that it's unremarkable.

It's that, the whole way through.

veni veni veni posted:

The melee combat is actually pretty drat good imo.

It's basic and requires nothing from the player, but it also falls apart with multiple enemies. Like everything else in the game, it never gets more interesting or fun. You're doing the same Melee combat from beginning to end. Over and over.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Is that the version of fatal frame 2 where they all have british accents? (which rules)

I thought that was Forbidden Siren....

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sigher posted:

It's basic and requires nothing from the player, but it also falls apart with multiple enemies. Like everything else in the game, it never gets more interesting or fun. You're doing the same Melee combat from beginning to end. Over and over.

If there was some kind of actual fighting game guesswork involved it could have been good but every 1v1 fight is completely mindless. The enemy will take their turn attacking while you dodge, then it's your turn to hit them. They can swing once, twice, or three times, but the back-and-forth nature of combat means you should assume they'll do a 3-hit combo every time and try to dodge accordingly. Even if you try to dodge a swing that isn't coming they're going to stop attacking and let you take your turn anyway. Fighting multiple enemies doesn't work, but if you focus on upgrading your GRIP you should always have enough energy to throw enemies off ledges or into spikes and narrow it down to 1v1.

As it stands every fight is like a glorified quicktime event and there's basically zero enemy variety. It's been enough of a financial loss that I can't imagine a sequel is coming but I wonder what a followup would be like if they were able to make it and hit the "Make Good Game" button the second time around.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

This literally sounds like you're talking about the ps2 version of Siren.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They’re right though, the Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 only came out in Japan and Europe, with the latter having accents as a result.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

man nurse posted:

They’re right though, the Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 only came out in Japan and Europe, with the latter having accents as a result.

Whaaaat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

reviews for DSR are coming in and appear to be overall highly positive, so it's probably worth a pickup if you liked the original or never played it but enjoy horror shooters

sigher posted:

Like everything else in the game, it never gets more interesting or fun.

it's really something that they accidentally made the hand cannon the best weapon in the entire game outside of three boss encounters

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I picked it up since the only thing that'd make me not get it was all the reviews saying the changes had utterly ruined it or that it was buggy as gently caress. It sounds like neither of those are the case and it's just pretty drat good. Annoyingly the preload is done but it doesn't unlock until 4 in the afternoon tomorrow in the UK which is an unusual time for a game to unlock to say the least. It's my birthday so going out in the evening but I have the day off so I could have played it if it was unlocking earlier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1618643945785020416

Yep, a lot of very good scores all around the place. The actual quotes and comments from people with hands-on experience have been really good too. I wasn't really worried about this one tanking, but everything I've seen so far says it hits the high end of expectations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

man nurse posted:

I just looked up gameplay from the PS2 FF2 and the European Wii FF2 versions, and yup, the dub is different! They have "UK" accents in the Wii version. :stare:

European Wii version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7Rf0BV7iw&t=43s

US PS2 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0eUpzK04y4&t=15s

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1618652613909819392?t=PZB63CZeHfypN-F9U1jorQ&s=19

Reviews have been glowing all over

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does this put Callisto in the same pot as Mighty No. 9?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No, at least TCP wasn't a Kickstarter.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

No, Mighty No. 9 was a complete trainwreck of a game with no redeeming features at all. Callisto didn't reach that level of terribleness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Callisto Protocol is just a bafflingly expensively produced mediocre game. I would view it much more softly if it were half its price.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At least it has company with Forspoken, then.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

forspoken and callisto are both $30 games with a $40 launch day premium slapped on top

TCP especially feels like the kind of game you'd expect out of a small, mid-shelf startup studio trying to make a name for themselves - limited scope, rote gameplay, predictably safe story, lots of enemy reuse - except it's a startup with $160m+ in capital. it's the same feeling you get playing something like, say, terminator: resistance, but they want you to pay 70 goddamn dollars for the experience

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TCP's greatest narrative sin (among many) is it doesn't have an ending. They're saving it for dlc Asura's Wrath style.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

TCP's greatest narrative sin (among many) is it doesn't have an ending. They're saving it for dlc Asura's Wrath style.

i'm still agog that they had the loving gall to give the cheaper lance reddick they have playing President Badguy a goddamn energy shield at the very end of it all

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vermain posted:

i'm still agog that they had the loving gall to give the cheaper lance reddick they have playing President Badguy a goddamn energy shield at the very end of it all

Is that what was happening? I thought it was just another hologram and we never actually met him in person.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So, Callisto has those shimmying sections you see in other games. Where you see a canned animation of your guy slowly navigating a narrow space.

The thing is, these do not mask load-times or act as checkpoints. They're just in the game for the sake of it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is that what was happening? I thought it was just another hologram and we never actually met him in person.

it's possible, but the cutscene itself plays it like dani's bullets are just bouncing off the guy, and the fact that he strolls off through a door instead of doing the stock standard scifi hologram fadeout leads me to believe that he's there and merely has a bullshit energy shield hanging around

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The thing is, these do not mask load-times or act as checkpoints. They're just in the game for the sake of it.

With the amount of vents and poo poo you crawl through as well someone on the team was like, "Yeah, this is a great stylistic choice to remove all fun from the game for no reason!"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vermain posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a hologram.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a hologram.

it's frankly not even much of an improvement if it is a hologram, because only gaining hologram VFX when it's narratively convenient to do so, in complete contravention to every other hologram in the game, is nonsense

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure he's a hologram the whole time.

Anyway I got DS1 remake a day early and it's pretty cool. Best change with making Issac talk is him actually suggesting solutions to problems an engineer would know instead of being told how to use a (metaphorical) hammer.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think those animations are hiding loading times. Remember, it was actually a cross gen title.

And yeah that dude was def a hologram the whole time.

Glad the DS remake is supposed to be good. I read through the major changes to gameplay and they all sound really smart and fun. Can’t wait to try it out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Alright, the reviews did me in and I will be buying the Dead Space Remake. I have fond memories of being freaked out from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
TCP has tons of end of chapter transitions that feel like they cut entire levels of content but didn't adjust the character interaction to account for it. The last two hours are really sudden jumps of story and levels. It really could have used another year of development time to add enemy variety and polish. Major let down but not a bad game. Just not a good game.