Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

CapnAndy posted:

It was, yeah, but I think it called out an actual flaw in my strategy -- I'm not barricading my borders with giant gently caress-off starbases. So that's definitely something I can focus on, rather than tearing myself apart building fleet after fleet that I can't afford. So I did find it helpful!

If that fails, I'll try this.

Honestly, Scaling difficulty is the way to go either way if you ask me.

Especially once you go higher in difficulty, the bonuses become incredibly bullshit early on and force you to metagame. Difficulty is for making sure that the AI stays relevant later, not early game, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Honestly, Scaling difficulty is the way to go either way if you ask me.

Especially once you go higher in difficulty, the bonuses become incredibly bullshit early on and force you to metagame. Difficulty is for making sure that the AI stays relevant later, not early game, imo.
Yep. The big problem for the AI is they can't snowball as good as a human can, so scaling lets then keep par without forcing you to start every game trapped behind a wall of alloys.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just make friends so you can boom your Econ and research to make admiral easy. Highly aggressive play styles are do or die early but regular empires with diplo options can and should make at least a friend or two to keep you safe behind your choke point systems.

If you know how to grow your economy and take advantage of your friends wars you will accelerate past the AI later on.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just make friends so you can boom your Econ and research to make admiral easy. Highly aggressive play styles are do or die early but regular empires with diplo options can and should make at least a friend or two to keep you safe behind your choke point systems.

If you know how to grow your economy and take advantage of your friends wars you will accelerate past the AI later on.

Heavily depends on what AIs spawn as your neighbors. You sometimes just don't have anyone nearby that's at all interested in being your friend.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Two games ago I started in what seemed like a decent spot, couple choke points, lots of neighbors my science ships were finding. To the north ended up being a Martial Alliance Federation, so I upgraded the starbase and then kept exploring south.

Every 5-10 years I got a new notice, 'species you were trying to learn the language of, no longer exists.' Hunh, that's weird.

Then about 2240, I meet the advanced neighbor Fanatic Purifier who's gone through 4 of my neighbors already, and thats when the Federation attacks :unsmigghh:

Never hit new game faster in my life lmao.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I dropped down to Captain just to get my confidence back up -- and yeah, it's too easy -- but at least something utterly hilarious has happened to make it worth my time. The entire galaxy, out of fear of me, had all become vassals of the second biggest empire around, a hive mind. Bit weird to see the martial xenophobes pledging fealty to the Great Mind, but okay, whatever.

And then the hive mind decided to become a Stage 5 Crisis.

While I was planning to shelter up in my third of the galaxy and not make any more moves until I had a really robust Gateway network and some more fleets, because if I picked any war anywhere it'd result in the entire galaxy declaring war on me, the hive mind is now facing rebellion from literally every civilization that's not me simultaneously. Which not only means they're going to be terribly distracted, it means nobody's gonna defend each other.

So I"m going to eat the civilization that's between me and the Crisis-mongers, and then go eat the Crisis. To save the Galaxy.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Developer Diary 284: Broken Shackles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4EFIOlgjQ

This one seems to confirm that we might be able to play as apre-FTL origin. I'm really curious to see how that will handle.

Also really digging the whole setup of playing as a hodgepodge of races and being able to find their original home planet.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A pre-FTL origin is something I was hoping would get added at some point, can't wait to try that when it gets released.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You should be able to take Xxxenophile as your first ascension perk if you start with broken shackles without needing gene tailoring

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
As someone who pretty much always plays multi-racial and non-authoritarian builds, I can't wait for Broken Shackles. Curious if your seeded races are pure random or if you are guaranteed variety in cold/hot/temperate species.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
My latest game was exceedingly bullshit. Devouring Swarm, Cordyceptic Drones, Necrophage. I started 4 jumps from Tiyana Vek and didn’t need alloys for ships until 2300. My neighbors didn’t know what hit them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well poo poo Broken Shackles is exactly my ideal origin.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That sounds rad as gently caress, but it's going to be an insanely rough start -- even in their example images, they've got dudes with Arctic, Desert, Tundra, and Ocean preference all crowded in on a Continental world. Habitability is gonna be in the toilet.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

CapnAndy posted:

That sounds rad as gently caress, but it's going to be an insanely rough start -- even in their example images, they've got dudes with Arctic, Desert, Tundra, and Ocean preference all crowded in on a Continental world. Habitability is gonna be in the toilet.
Yeah, it's not going to work out great on higher difficulties without some luck, but it's cool as gently caress.

I also like the narrative touch of Minamar Industries just not giving a poo poo about you at all. You're less than nothing to them.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

You should be able to take Xxxenophile as your first ascension perk if you start with broken shackles without needing gene tailoring

Was that perk ever fixed to not cause significant slowdown? I haven't played with it since the start option to disable it became available.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CapnAndy posted:

I'm wondering if your guaranteed planets will be the opposite of usual, like you will get one per your random guys rather than the usual same as your homeworld. Then you can use unemployment to force a mass exodus of the low hans to their new high hab planets.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pre-FTL would have me make an entire galaxy of pre-ftl's for themed games.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Im playing as DA and after gobbling up 3 different empires Ive got like 100 pops bored out of their mind because I can't build enough districts/buildings to keep them employed. lol.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Splicer posted:

I'm wondering if your guaranteed planets will be the opposite of usual, like you will get one per your random guys rather than the usual same as your homeworld. Then you can use unemployment to force a mass exodus of the low hans to their new high hab planets.
They do mention Broken Shackles force-spawns a Payback origin empire and that that species makes up a big chunk of your starting pops, so it would be nice if one of your habitables was guaranteed to be ideal for them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

They do mention Broken Shackles force-spawns a Payback origin empire and that that species makes up a big chunk of your starting pops, so it would be nice if one of your habitables was guaranteed to be ideal for them.
Where did you see the bolded bit?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
If I decline a covenant with one of the Shroud entities the first time I go in, do I ever get the chance to form a covenant again?

So I'm playing a non-hivemind for the first time in a while, and I'm going down the Psionic Ascension tradition tree. The first time I went into the shroud, I got the opportunity to form a covenant with the Instrument of Desire, which I stupidly declined because the increase to pop upkeep seemed intimidating and I don't have any slaves in my empire. I've gone into the shroud a few times since then, and have managed to get psi jump drives and a random curse lasting five years. I have not, but I haven't had the covenant forming opportunity pop up again. Am I just locked out of forming a covenant, or do I have to get lucky on RNG and on one of the next times I go back? It's extra frustrating because I really underestimated how long the cooldown for entering the Shroud is.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Was that perk ever fixed to not cause significant slowdown? I haven't played with it since the start option to disable it became available.

it still has the potential to make dozens of unoptimized species, it owns
other Gods will contact you eventually

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Splicer posted:

Where did you see the bolded bit?
Looking over the dev diary again, I apparently didn't see it lol. For some reason I thought I had.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It doesn't mention it directly but in the screenshot the species 'The Unshackled' has the largest number of pops while everyone else has normal RNG names. That was my read on how it'll work too.

Pre-FTL seems neat I guess? Not really sure what there will be to do beside waiting twenty years to start the game for real.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DaysBefore posted:

It doesn't mention it directly but in the screenshot the species 'The Unshackled' has the largest number of pops while everyone else has normal RNG names. That was my read on how it'll work too.

Pre-FTL seems neat I guess? Not really sure what there will be to do beside waiting twenty years to start the game for real.
I think it's that there's two origins
Origin 1) Broken Shackles: you are (the descendents of?) a bunch of escaped slaves. You start off with a bunch of Your Name Here (the Unshackled in their example) and also a bunch of randoms. Your ex-slavers are an rear end in a top hat space megacorp.
Origin 2) Payback: your planet is/was being invaded by the same rear end in a top hat space megacorp. Screw that. Your dudes are called whatever you call them.

If you play origin 1 or 2 then that spawns the rear end in a top hat space megacorp, but also spawns the other origin. Species unrelated but you have a common enemy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Angrymantium posted:

If I decline a covenant with one of the Shroud entities the first time I go in, do I ever get the chance to form a covenant again?

So I'm playing a non-hivemind for the first time in a while, and I'm going down the Psionic Ascension tradition tree. The first time I went into the shroud, I got the opportunity to form a covenant with the Instrument of Desire, which I stupidly declined because the increase to pop upkeep seemed intimidating and I don't have any slaves in my empire. I've gone into the shroud a few times since then, and have managed to get psi jump drives and a random curse lasting five years. I have not, but I haven't had the covenant forming opportunity pop up again. Am I just locked out of forming a covenant, or do I have to get lucky on RNG and on one of the next times I go back? It's extra frustrating because I really underestimated how long the cooldown for entering the Shroud is.
I believe that if you do the more expensive entering the shroud which costs zro you get to pick which one to approach, and you can do it again until you actually form a covenant.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Poil posted:

I believe that if you do the more expensive entering the shroud which costs zro you get to pick which one to approach, and you can do it again until you actually form a covenant.

Oh nice, just need to find some Zro and I'll try that out then. It might take me another hundred years but I've definitely got the energy to spare with the ridiculous telepath job buffs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

it still has the potential to make dozens of unoptimized species, it owns
other Gods will contact you eventually

The lack of optimized pops doesn't bother me (I usually play xenophile empires, so my pops are a mishmash anyways). I just don't want the game to unplayably slow by 2350.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anyone know if you can use Marauder fleets hired from one enclave to attack the other enclave of Marauders?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Loel posted:

Anyone know if you can use Marauder fleets hired from one enclave to attack the other enclave of Marauders?

IIRC no.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Loel posted:

Dont they have to be a rival to sic marauders on them?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Not the 'we know a good raiding target', the midgame event where you hire fleets that follow your orders.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Loel posted:

Not the 'we know a good raiding target', the midgame event where you hire fleets that follow your orders.

They'll help you kill their own enclave last I checked.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
They will turn on you if they're actually destroyed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Adenoid Dan posted:

They will turn on you if they're actually destroyed.

a bit too late, I think

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
it's not they're bitter about what's happened, just any time their enclave gets wiped out, any extant hired fleets break contract and respawn in a few months to attack whoever fired the last shot for a wild suicide rush.

wish they could rebuild their enclave if they were successful enough. I wish all pirates could!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pirates should be a neutral empire you start at war with but can immediately subjugate so instead of being an annoyance they're a blessing. Make it so they can't close borders to anyone so your enemies can mass a fleet inside them etc. as a consequence of letting them be Free Space.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Pirates should be able to grow, but break apart when their leader dies Great Khan style. Like, thr core systems will remain pirates, but the outer systems shatter into splinter pirate gangs, a democracy or two, that kind of thing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What causes my vassals to abruptly spawn a new empire who hates me and them and usually declares was immediately? Is there some resistance movement mechanic that spawns these civil wars to throw off the big bad overlord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Probably a civil war breaking out for one reason or another, thats usually how one system minors pop up in my games.