Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol and now that I’ve talked my poo poo I apparently am going to get to meet Heupel in person tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol and now that I’ve talked my poo poo I apparently am going to get to meet Heupel in person tomorrow

ah don't sweat it. I have a couple friends that've met him, and he's apparently not a prick

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard he’s a nice guy I’m just laughing at the extension being brought up and my dumb rear end being like “WELL FRANKLY…”

Should be a good time

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

He saw your posts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mfer looks like Bobby Hill no way he’s not a goon

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Mfer looks like Bobby Hill no way he’s not a goon

Ask him about BigHerm.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A running back transferred from Tulane to Florida for more touches.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spacebump posted:

A running back transferred from Tulane to Florida for more touches.

I saw that. What a terrible idea.

He could at least have a shot at NY6 in New Orleans.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ask Josh for his brisket recipe

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Good to see Huepel get a raise, now let’s go win a natty

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
didn't michigan state give a big rear end raise to tucker after one great season?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Mike_V posted:

didn't michigan state give a big rear end raise to tucker after one great season?

Yeah, that money should have went to Walker III.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

That's what set the market for coach contracts kinda wasn't it? Or part of it at least.

Tucker still isn't completely dead in the water from what I understand and has a chance here, but that'll be interesting as a historical note should this go completely bad for years on end for Michigan State.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Not really the same thing. Tucker’s was 10 years $95m. Heupels is 5 years. Heupel also took us from 3-7 before his first year to our first 11 win season in idk how long in his second year. Something like 35 kids transferred out of the program when Pruitt left. He’s also brought in a couple of great recruiting classes, the most recent one including the #2 player in the nation and had great success in the transfer portal. So, while I think it could have waited a year it’s kind of disingenuous to frame it as him only having had one good year. We were a loving trash fire when he showed up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

That's what set the market for coach contracts kinda wasn't it? Or part of it at least.

Tucker still isn't completely dead in the water from what I understand and has a chance here, but that'll be interesting as a historical note should this go completely bad for years on end for Michigan State.

Yes, it was either that or he would be the second coach to have one really good season at MSU and then flee to LSU. Also a chunk of it is being paid for by one guy who just bought the Phoenix Suns.

Michigan State is a historically erratic program. Writing off Tucker after last season is as stupid as assuming he would be worth $95 million after the one before.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

None of those teams were good though, none of them could even beat Tennessee.

wocka wocka

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mel tucker will likely be fine long term; he's shown that he's adept at working the transfer portal and probably overachieved his first year

next season will tell us a lot about how his MSU tenure is going to shake out

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This probably could go into the coaching carousel thread, but Penn State hired away UVA's WR coach, Marques Hagans, who was with the team consistently through three head coaches and was a former player. He was beloved by the fanbase, and there's some serious buyer's remorse among the fanbase over Tony Elliott already. UVA went from one of the most prolific offenses in its history to a dumpster fire, and that's with a returning QB and skill position players. UVA apparently opted not to hire alum and PSU safeties coach Anthony Poindexter last year. It does seem pretty likely that when Elliott is canned in another couple of years that the combo of Poindexter and Hagans would return to UVA as head coach and OC/DC. That could be the point where UVA really turns the corner. Another repercussion for Hagans leaving UVA is that he's a great recruiter with Tidewater connections, and Penn State is already dominating recruiting the state of Virginia. Virginia and VT are both losing out on top talent.

There is something woefully wrong with Elliott's offensive schemes if there's such a drop off in productivity. 31/10 TD to INT ratio in 2021 vs 7/12 last year. That's so much worse than Hackenberg's drop off from his true freshman year under O'Brien to James Franklin and his terrible OC John Donovan.

Komet fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whoopsy daisy

https://twitter.com/NewsieDave/status/1618305524990377984

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Komet posted:

This probably could go into the coaching carousel thread, but Penn State hired away UVA's WR coach, Marques Hagans, who was with the team consistently through three head coaches and was a former player. He was beloved by the fanbase, and there's some serious buyer's remorse among the fanbase over Tony Elliott already. UVA went from one of the most prolific offenses in its history to a dumpster fire, and that's with a returning QB and skill position players. UVA apparently opted not to hire alum and PSU safeties coach Anthony Poindexter last year. It does seem pretty likely that when Elliott is canned in another couple of years that the combo of Poindexter and Hagans would return to UVA as head coach and OC/DC. That could be the point where UVA really turns the corner. Another repercussion for Hagans leaving UVA is that he's a great recruiter with Tidewater connections, and Penn State is already dominating recruiting the state of Virginia. Virginia and VT are both losing out on top talent.

There is something woefully wrong with Elliott's offensive schemes if there's such a drop off in productivity. 31/10 TD to INT ratio in 2021 vs 7/12 last year. That's so much worse than Hackenberg's drop off from his true freshman year under O'Brien to James Franklin and his terrible OC John Donovan.

I'm sorry Komet I want to feel bad for y'all, but I can't when Pry has a hole to dig us out of that is as deep as its been at VT in a long time. At least it seems like he'll have a shot at getting us out of it, but Elliot already feels dead in the water drowning at the bottom of the well at UVA.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

You don't have to feel bad for me. I'm just a Penn State fan in Charlottesville, so I see a lot of UVA media.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Komet posted:

You don't have to feel bad for me. I'm just a Penn State fan in Charlottesville, so I see a lot of UVA media.

The White Spot is great though right? I mean even I can concede that cville has some decent places for food and drink.

PSU has stolen so much VA talent I can't be mad about it, but anything that dings UVA i will revel in. I think it was a good move by Franklin, but we will see how many inroads the new VT staff can make the next few years.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s not looking good in Charlottesville but ignoring football is second nature to us

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Would love for my company to accidentally overpay me by seven figures.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Nervous posted:

Would love for my company to accidentally overpay me by seven figures.

Just make sure they don't find out

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1616561655084875778?s=20&t=6Ii2moW4BK1D9_MQ6O1TGQ

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

I’ve worked in payroll unless they’re hilariously incompetent or corrupt they’ll eventually figure it out and come for it. That being said I’m surprised LSU figured it out.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"I thought we were fahmully"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I quit listening to the Fullcast a while ago, it got too inside-jokey for me and I'm not much of a podcast guy.

But this episode...man does it deliver. There were a couple of stretches, but most of them were spot-on.

Bama and LSU fans will be amazingly proud.

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1618266752466489346

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

I quit listening to the Fullcast a while ago, it got too inside-jokey for me and I'm not much of a podcast guy.

But this episode...man does it deliver. There were a couple of stretches, but most of them were spot-on.

Bama and LSU fans will be amazingly proud.

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1618266752466489346

This episode was absolutely perfect. If anyone wants the joke without working for it, apologies for misspelling anything 40k, was taking notes on a commute:

a running list of the comparisons:

• Adeptus Custodies: Florida
  • Adeptus Mechanicus: aTm
  • Eldari: Texas
  • Astra Militarum: Georgia
  • Chaos Daemons:
    Khorn - Utah
    Nurgle - Pitt
    Slaanesh - Arizona State
    Zittch - Cal
  • Drukari - Miami
  • Gene-stealer cult - Baylor
  • Gray Knights - Penn State
  • Imperial Knights - Notre Dame
  • Leagues of Votan - BYU
  • Necrons - Tennessee
  • Space Marines:
    Ultramarines - Michigan
    Imperial Fists - Iowa
    Dark Angels - USC
    Space Wolves - Wisconsin
    Blood Angels - Ohio State
    Salamanders - Oregon
    Iron Warriors - Iowa State
    White Scars - Texas Tech
    Raven Guard - South Carolina
    Death Watch - Ole Miss
  • Tao - Washington
  • Tyranids - Bama
  • Sisters of Battle (Jason’s army) - Clemson
  • Orks (Spencer’s army) - LSU, but also the Philadelphia Eagles (go birds)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

what network partners

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ungratek posted:

It’s not looking good in Charlottesville but ignoring football is second nature to us

Do you have any idea why Anthony Poindexter didn't get the job? I was under the impression he was the leading candidate last year.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

what network partners

Dear god I tried to read that timeline of what happened and fell asleep as soon as I got to "After receiving the audit results, the two executives failed to inform the Pac-12 Board of Directors or the Pac-12’s external auditors of the financial risk associated with the audit findings."

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Komet posted:

Do you have any idea why Anthony Poindexter didn't get the job? I was under the impression he was the leading candidate last year.

I think he wanted admissions concessions that the university wouldn’t grant. Be interested to see if the school holds the line a second time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Holly Anderson is a treasure

https://twitter.com/HollyAnderson/status/1618675902019428353

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm a bit of a newspaper archive junkie and found some 1973 taunting.

Florida came in at 2-4, with the losses in the last 4 weeks. Auburn was #19, 5-2, coming off a shutout win against #12 Houston. Of course Auburn lost to Florida at Jordan-Hare. Of course Auburn ended up 6-6 on the year.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Death, taxes, Auburn football.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's happening!

https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1619048255148675072?s=20&t=Cc92wK8lSTCk3z5jrBUAKg

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The bands better get to work on their Queen before September 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhHgT4mvRQ

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don’t have any content I just wanted to scream into the void that I’m still struggling to come to terms with the fact that Graham Mertz will be UF QB1 next fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t have any content I just wanted to scream into the void that I’m still struggling to come to terms with the fact that Graham Mertz will be UF QB1 next fall.

Have you tried bribing the NCAA into giving Tebow another year of eligibility?