Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/byKateSmith/status/1618625671500296195
Voting for Democrats in state/local elections really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Seph posted:

Well, it seems like we'll get to see which is a stronger force in the justice system: incarcerating black people, or letting cops go free:

https://twitter.com/FOX13Memphis/status/1618684394411016193?cxt=HHwWgoCyxa243PYsAAAA

The current DA was my criminal and constitutional law professor and I expect him to handle this really well. It's the first time in a while that Memphis has had a good one

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Knew this was coming but still, smh.

Looks like Carter gets to keep his classified docs because the PRA didn't go into effect until after he left office.
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1618659455750782977

quote:

The letter, which was reviewed by CNN, requests that they check their files to ensure that material thought to be personal does not “inadvertently” contain presidential records that are required by law to be turned over to the Archives.

“The responsibility to comply with the PRA does not diminish after the end of an administration,” the letter states. “Therefore, we request that you conduct an assessment of any materials held outside of NARA that relate to the Administration for which you serve as a designated representative under the PRA, to determine whether bodies of materials previously assumed to be personal in nature might inadvertently contain Presidential or Vice Presidential records subject to the PRA, whether classified or unclassified.”

The letter notes that “while much of the attention of these instances has focused on the classified information, the PRA requires that all Presidential records of every Administration from Reagan onward must be transferred to NARA, regardless of classification status.”

The Archives sent the letter to representatives for former Presidents Trump, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, and former Vice Presidents Pence, Biden, Dick Cheney, Al Gore and Dan Quayle.

Representatives for the four former presidents have all so far told CNN they do not have any classified records in their possession. The representatives for former Presidents Clinton, George W. Bush, Obama and the late George H.W. Bush all told CNN that all classified records had been turned over to the National Archives upon leaving office.
Ronald Reagan?!

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 26, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

You can probably find a way to de-incentivice keeping people as slave labor or as holding them hostage for reimbursment.

I can't see away out of people just being evil and not letting people out when their time is done.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cat botherer posted:

Turns out the Biden administration granted more oil and gas drilling permits on BLM land in their first two years than the Trump administration:

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-granted-more-oil-and-gas-drilling-permits-than-trump-in-his-first-2-years-in-office-190528616.html

Yet another piece of evidence that no major party treats the climate crisis with any kind of seriousness. Really nothing is happening beyond performative nonsense as we barrel towards oblivion.

I honestly and truly think its politically impossible to do anything serious about GW in our political system. People were screaming when gas was over $4. Last time I ran the calculations it had to be over $10 to account for recapturing the greenhouse gases. Any politician that proposes taxing gas so that it costs that much is gonna be out on their rear end ASAP.

Public transit and electrification seem to be losing issues too. The American public wants tech magic to save us, and are unwilling to accept any lifestyle changes.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Looks like Carter gets to keep his classified docs because the PRA didn't go into effect until after he left office.

Ronald Reagan?!

They also sent it to the very dead Bush Sr. Presumeably it's to get people to go though family properties and make sure that everything is actually gone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VorpalBunny posted:

The problem with modern politics is we all have goldfish brains. Remember how Biden was DONE when his classified docs thing was happening, and we were talking about his 2024 replacement? Then both Carter and Pence admitted they had docs as well? Thank goodness the adults are in charge and some actual good things are happening, slowly but surely.

Hey, now, that wasn't "we all", that was just me, and everybody else said I was full of poo poo. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ryde posted:

I honestly and truly think its politically impossible to do anything serious about GW in our political system. People were screaming when gas was over $4. Last time I ran the calculations it had to be over $10 to account for recapturing the greenhouse gases. Any politician that proposes taxing gas so that it costs that much is gonna be out on their rear end ASAP.

Public transit and electrification seem to be losing issues too. The American public wants tech magic to save us, and are unwilling to accept any lifestyle changes.

It's not like they're getting the option even if lifestyle changes were remotely sufficient. There's no political will to build infrastructure or cut down on military hardware.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twincityhacker posted:

They also sent it to the very dead Bush Sr. Presumeably it's to get people to go though family properties and make sure that everything is actually gone.
They also have presidential libraries with a bunch of documents in them

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ryde posted:

How did you figure that calculation? The EPA recently floated evaluation the social cost of carbon at $190/ton, which should be about a $2.80 additional tax per gallon. I don't know what carbon recapture cost you would use since there isn't any functional system at scale.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

VA Dems also killed an anti-trans bill yesterday
https://twitter.com/ACLUVA/status/1618270096077774848

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Ronald Reagan?!

The actor?!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Flappy Bert posted:

How did you figure that calculation? The EPA recently floated evaluation the social cost of carbon at $190/ton, which should be about a $2.80 additional tax per gallon. I don't know what carbon recapture cost you would use since there isn't any functional system at scale.

I looked up how much carbon dioxide one gallon of gas emitted, and then looked up how much it cost to sequester that amount of carbon dioxide, and added the two together. Maybe my sources are math were incorrect, going off of memory here.

Edit:
Decided to redo the calculation. Looks like whatever calculation I made back in the day is dramatically off. Sources are giving about $150/ton for direct air capture, and 1 gallon of gas produces about 8887 grams, so that comes out to $1.47 to sequester it via direct air capture. That's a lot more politically feasible, although Americans still lose their minds over gas prices so who knows.

ryde fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 27, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Moterheads would probably demand any gas tax went to maintaining roads wrecked by our massive over reliance on trucked goods anyway.

-Blackadder- posted:

Ronald Reagan?!

presumably to his estate.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

double post

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

No, the other one

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

haveblue posted:

No, the other one

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

-Blackadder- posted:

Ronald Reagan?!

It says "representatives of..." right there in the quote

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Normy posted:

It says "representatives of..." right there in the quote

The representative:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Youth Decay posted:

Youth Decay posted:

VA Dems also killed an anti-trans bill yesterday
https://twitter.com/ACLUVA/status/1618270096077774848

good, least some folks are keeping up the good fight.

Seph posted:

Well, it seems like we'll get to see which is a stronger force in the justice system: incarcerating black people, or letting cops go free:

https://twitter.com/FOX13Memphis/status/1618684394411016193?cxt=HHwWgoCyxa243PYsAAAA

apperently the video is really loving horrible and bad like bad enough that the cop union didnt even want to defend it. it gets released tomarrow so thats gonna be loving awful.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently the video is really loving horrible and bad like bad enough that the cop union didnt even want to defend it. it gets released tomarrow so thats gonna be loving awful.

Yeah, all 5 of the cops were fired within 2 weeks. It's almost certainly indefensibly bad.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Delaying the video to Friday at like 5PM tells you everything you need to know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

At this point so many of the usual masters of apologetics are coming out on the record as "Fuuuuuuuuck", that I'm kind of scared about how loving bad this is going to be. Just on a pure I did not need to ever have that information in my brain level.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gyges posted:

At this point so many of the usual masters of apologetics are coming out on the record as "Fuuuuuuuuck", that I'm kind of scared about how loving bad this is going to be. Just on a pure I did not need to ever have that information in my brain level.

Don't worry, we'll be back to the usual refrain of "just a few bad apples" and "See? They've already been fired! Law enforcement can police itself!"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're standing tough but it sucks having to deal with this constant stream of poo poo from right-wing extremists in the state House while the House blocks all gun safety bills and keeps a marriage equality amendment from coming to the floor for a vote.
https://twitter.com/vaplan2018/status/1618686606063599616
https://twitter.com/vaplan2018/status/1618694561089613824
https://twitter.com/vaplan2018/status/1618712956531015681
Even more anti-trans bills and voting rights-limiting bills tomorrow. Senate Dems are working extra long days because the bill patrons won't even be bothered to show up on time for the subcommittee meetings.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, all 5 of the cops were fired within 2 weeks. It's almost certainly indefensibly bad.
I'm a cynic so I have to wonder if the skin color of these cops also might be contributing to the local authorities' willingness to prosecute them quickly rather than defend them.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

cat botherer posted:

Turns out the Biden administration granted more oil and gas drilling permits on BLM land in their first two years than the Trump administration:

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-granted-more-oil-and-gas-drilling-permits-than-trump-in-his-first-2-years-in-office-190528616.html

Yet another piece of evidence that no major party treats the climate crisis with any kind of seriousness. Really nothing is happening beyond performative nonsense as we barrel towards oblivion.

Trump's administration was trying to shrink BLM land, Biden's administration is doing things like this

quote:

The U.S. Interior Department on Thursday blocked mining in part of northeast Minnesota for 20 years, the latest blow to Antofagasta Plc's (ANTO.L) Twin Metals copper and nickel mining project but a step officials said is needed to protect the state's vast network of interconnected waterways.

While it's not a 100% comparable since it's not oil/gas, It's pretty obvious who has done more damage with regards to environmentalism.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 27, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Youth Decay posted:

I'm a cynic so I have to wonder if the skin color of these cops also might be contributing to the local authorities' willingness to prosecute them quickly rather than defend them.

That's tough to guess - Memphis is a majority Black city. I don't know if that makes the city more or less likely to pursue charges in this situation.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I would assume them being police would outweigh them being Black, but them being Black would definitely mean they're first on the chopping block when it's time to make sacrifices?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Youth Decay posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So this led me to take a stroll down memory lane and revisit just how we got here...

Both compliments of Trotsky:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983623&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post519090851

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986569&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post519685317

It's worth going back and reading through them, including the subsequent posts, to get a feel for how bad it was.

So I'm curious about what others' thoughts are about this?

Those focus groups had some seriously frustrating responses.

Did the Dems make any changes, and how does this all fit in with the Dems doing well in the midterms? Is it all just down to Abortion?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean the thing I get from most of those focus results is that it doesn't feel like the Dems stand for anything and nobody believe them or remembers what they did or even understands what they vote for.

The Democrats don't have a brand. Their brand is, 'whatever sounds good enough to progressive-ish middle and upper class folks' which is an ever changing wheel of things because Dems love their optics and nobody believe them. If you look at that first one you see Dems getting hammered on gas prices, inflation, and CRT because the Republicans know how to wage a brand war - they state what their position is, or more frequently, what they oppose, and they say whatever is necessary to get there, and they keep saying it, for years and years if they have to.

The Dems could have run on, "Republicans are bible thumping whackos that think they own your womb" but that's too radical so they won't say that, they'll try to imply it. The Dems could have, 6 years ago, run on, "The Republicans want police to shoot your son", but they can't say that, because they don't want to bad mouth the police. They never say anything directly because there are too many toes to step on - police, capitalists, specific businesses, religion - and people sense that, everything is couched in half-statements with no conviction. That's what I see what I read these things.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mendrian posted:

The Dems could have run on, "Republicans are bible thumping whackos that think they own your womb" but that's too radical so they won't say that, they'll try to imply it.

They did? Unless you live in a district with Henry Cuellar or that guy who tweeted 24 hours a day about how he supported the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I have no idea how you could follow politics at all and think "Republicans are Bible thumping wackos who want to own your womb" was not the main campaign message for 2022 Democrats.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Youremother posted:

I would assume them being police would outweigh them being Black, but them being Black would definitely mean they're first on the chopping block when it's time to make sacrifices?

Without knowing their specifics, my guess would be that they didn't have the right connections and/or made rookie mistakes in covering it up.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I mean the thing I get from most of those focus results is that it doesn't feel like the Dems stand for anything and nobody believe them or remembers what they did or even understands what they vote for.

The Democrats don't have a brand. Their brand is, 'whatever sounds good enough to progressive-ish middle and upper class folks' which is an ever changing wheel of things because Dems love their optics and nobody believe them. If you look at that first one you see Dems getting hammered on gas prices, inflation, and CRT because the Republicans know how to wage a brand war - they state what their position is, or more frequently, what they oppose, and they say whatever is necessary to get there, and they keep saying it, for years and years if they have to.

The Dems could have run on, "Republicans are bible thumping whackos that think they own your womb" but that's too radical so they won't say that, they'll try to imply it. The Dems could have, 6 years ago, run on, "The Republicans want police to shoot your son", but they can't say that, because they don't want to bad mouth the police. They never say anything directly because there are too many toes to step on - police, capitalists, specific businesses, religion - and people sense that, everything is couched in half-statements with no conviction. That's what I see what I read these things.

This comic is what, 20 years old? Same as it’s ever been

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Certainly part of the issue was that Youngkin was able to sneak in by successfully playing Bush's classic "Compassionate Conservative" card.

This is from an interview with the guy who ran the focus group, keep in mind these are usually Democratic voters who went Youngkin this time....

quote:

One of the things you also said in the memo was that McAuliffe’s strategy of linking Mr. Youngkin to former President Donald Trump was ineffective. What in the conversations with your groups made that clear?

The respondents kind of laughed at that approach. They said, “Oh, these silly ads that compared Youngkin to Trump — he just doesn’t seem like that guy.” The thing that these people disliked about Trump was that they didn’t like Donald Trump the person; it wasn’t Donald Trump the constellation of policies. That may very well have been the best message that McAuliffe had, but if we are in that position again, we’re going to lose a ton of races. We’ve got to have something better.

Also missed this earlier...
:hfive:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like that has to be it.

Pew has the demographics for American Buddhists and it is pretty interesting.

Looks like Asians, elderly white people, and a dash of young white people.

- Most are baby boomers.
- Most are Asian, with second place being white.
- Among white Buddhists, it actually skews slightly younger with almost the same amount of Gen Z/Millennials identifying as Buddhist as Boomers (still not a lot for either).
- 4% of white Buddhists are first generation immigrants. No idea where they are coming from. Maybe British Buddhists?
- American Buddhists are richer, better educated, more liberal, and more religious than the average American.
- 10% of American Buddhists also believe in Hell (?!?)

https://www.pewresearch.org/religio...hic-information

The white boomer Buddhists are residual Alan Watts movement folks, probably.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Also all five of the officers were black so the cops can assuage their guilt of throwing other cops under the bus by believing that they weren't REAL cops.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mendrian posted:

The thing is, establishment Democrats have a weak-rear end message, but they have everything else a political party needs to sustain itself due to the legacy of having less weak-rear end messages decades or centuries ago. They have state and county-level institutional ties, patronage networks, local machines, religious connections...

Republicans have those too, but numerically less so. They make do with a strong-rear end message to complement it.

The spheres of influence are sort of like anti-matter and matter due to increasing political polarization, so they only have to worry about someone actually coming up with a stronger message that applies to their spheres. Republicans try to counteract this by a race to the right. Democrats don't have to race to the left because the left's message is ultimately near as anemic as theirs, only nicer, so they can counteract it using all of the other poo poo you need to survive in politics.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

The thing is, establishment Democrats have a weak-rear end message, but they have everything else a political party needs to sustain itself due to the legacy of having less weak-rear end messages decades or centuries ago. They have state and county-level institutional ties, patronage networks, local machines, religious connections...

Republicans have those too, but numerically less so. They make do with a strong-rear end message to complement it.

The spheres of influence are sort of like anti-matter and matter due to increasing political polarization, so they only have to worry about someone actually coming up with a stronger message that applies to their spheres. Republicans try to counteract this by a race to the right. Democrats don't have to race to the left because the left's message is ultimately near as anemic as theirs, only nicer, so they can counteract it using all of the other poo poo you need to survive in politics.

Don't forget their massive GOTV and fundraising database that just got gutted by private equity lmfao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Memphis is releasing the video of the officers that were arrested and charged with murder today at 6 pm Central Time.

I don't know anything about the woman who runs the Memphis Police Department, but whether she is some kind of genuine reformer or a hardcore Back the Blue type, I don't think the person in charge of the police would be saying this unless it was extremely bad.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1618953989113913345

quote:

It’s been almost three weeks since a traffic stop in Memphis led to a violent arrest and, three days later, the death of the 29-year-old Black driver.

Tyre Nichols was hospitalized after he was pulled over on January 7, police have said. Five Memphis Police Department officers, who also are Black, were fired after an internal investigation and are facing criminal charges, including second-degree murder charges.

Key questions remain unanswered as the nation – already vigilant of how police treat people of color, especially following the mass protests of 2020 – waits for police to release footage of the incident.

Here’s what we know:

The police ‘confrontation’
On January 7, around 8:30 p.m., Memphis officers pulled over a vehicle for suspected reckless driving, according to a statement from Memphis police.

“A confrontation occurred” between officers and the vehicle’s driver – later identified as Nichols – who then fled on foot, according to Memphis police. Officers apprehended him and “another confrontation occurred,” resulting in Nichols’ arrest, police said.

It’s not clear what about his driving might have appeared reckless, how far Nichols fled on foot, who was involved in the initial police encounter, how officers apprehended him, how long these “confrontations” lasted, why officers felt compelled to confront Nichols twice and where exactly this happened.

At a Thursday press conference, Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy said there was an “elapsed period of time” in getting medical help for Nichols when he was injured during a traffic stop by Memphis police officers.

Mulroy said that there was a traffic stop and initial altercation involving several officers and Nichols. Pepper spray was deployed and Nichols ran, he said.

“There was another altercation at a nearby location at which the serious injuries were experienced by Mr. Nichols,” Mulroy continued. “After some period of time of waiting around afterward, he was taken away by an ambulance.”

On January 10, three days after the stop, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation announced Nichols had died due to injuries sustained in the “use-of-force incident with officers,” according to a statement.

Nichols suffered “extensive bleeding caused by a severe beating,” according to preliminary results of an autopsy commissioned by attorneys for his family.

“We can state that preliminary findings indicate Tyre suffered extensive bleeding caused by a severe beating, and that his observed injuries are consistent with what the family and attorneys witnessed on the video of his fatal encounter with police on January 7, 2023,” attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement.

CNN has asked Crump for a copy of the autopsy commissioned by the family, but he said the full report is not yet ready. Officials have also not released Nichols’ autopsy.

All five officers are facing charges in Nichols’ death
After its internal investigation, Memphis police identified and fired five officers involved in the traffic stop due to their violation of multiple department policies.

Officers Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills, Jr. and Justin Smith were terminated for failing in their “excessive use of force, duty to intervene, and duty to render aid,” the department said in a statement.

Martin III, Smith, Bean, Haley and Mills, Jr. have each been charged with second-degree murder, aggravated assault, two charges of aggravated kidnapping, two charges of official misconduct and one charge of official oppression, according to both Shelby County criminal court and Shelby County jail records.

Although all five former officers have been charged, it’s unclear what role each officer played in the incident.

A statement from the Memphis Police Association, the union representing the officers, declined to comment on the terminations beyond saying that the city of Memphis and Nichols’ family “deserve to know the complete account of the events leading up to his death and what may have contributed to it.”

In addition to the firing of the officers, two Memphis Fire Department employees who were part of Nichols’ “initial patient care” were also fired, department Public Information Officer Qwanesha Ward told CNN’s Nadia Romero.

It’s unclear to what extent those employees were taking care of Nichols and what type of aid was rendered, if any at all.

When asked on Tuesday what those fire department employees did or didn’t do, family attorney Antonio Romanucci told CNN there were “limitations” on how much he could say.

“During a period of time before the EMS services arrived on scene, Fire is on scene. And they are there with Tyre and the police officers prior to EMS arriving,” he said.

Who was Tyre Nichols?
Nichols was the baby of his family, the youngest of four children and he loved being a father to his son, his family said.

He was a “good boy” who spent his Sundays doing laundry and getting ready for the week, his mother, RowVaughn Wells, said.

“Does that sound like somebody that the police said did all these bad things?” Wells said. “Nobody’s perfect OK, but he was drat near.”

Nichols moved to Memphis before the Covid-19 pandemic and got stuck there when things shut down, his mother said.

When he wasn’t working the second shift at FedEx, Nichols enjoyed photography and skateboarding, something he had been doing since he was 6.

Nichols had Crohn’s disease, a digestive issue, and was a slim 140 to 145 pounds despite his six-foot-three-inch height, his mother said.

What police have said since the incident
On January 18, the Department of Justice said a civil rights investigation was opened into Nichols’ death.

Acknowledging the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s ongoing efforts, the US Attorney’s office “in coordination with the FBI Memphis Field Office and the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, has opened a civil rights investigation,” US Attorney for the Western District of Tennessee, Kevin G. Ritz said, declining to provide further details.

The Memphis police chief condemned the actions of officers involved.

“This is not just a professional failing. This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual,” Chief Cerelyn Davis said in a YouTube video Wednesday, her first on-camera comments about the arrest that preceded Nichols’ death. “This incident was heinous, reckless, and inhumane, and in the vein of transparency, when the video is released in the coming days, you will see this for yourselves.”

Family and attorneys have seen footage of the incident
CNN has obtained portions of the police scanner audio leading up to Nichols’ arrest. Portions of the audio are inaudible, but you can hear a brief part of the conversation between an officer and the dispatcher.

An officer can be heard saying, “We got one Black male running” and giving instructions to “run that car registration tag and see what’s the address” followed by what sounds like Nichols in distress.

It’s not clear where this audio fits in the sequence of the incident or which officer is speaking.

Family attorneys did watch the video on Monday and described it as “heinous.” Nichols was tased, pepper-sprayed and restrained, Crump said, and compared it to the Los Angeles Police beating of Rodney King in 1991.

Crump described the video as “appalling,” “deplorable” and “heinous.” He said Wells, Nichols’ mother, was unable to get through viewing the first minute of the footage after hearing Nichols ask, “What did I do?” At the end of the footage, Nichols can be heard calling for his mother three times, the attorney said.

Nichols fled from the police, according to Rodney Wells, his stepfather, because he was afraid.

“Our son ran because he was scared for his life,” Rodney Wells said Monday. “He did not run because he was trying to get rid of no drugs, no guns, no any of that. He ran because he was scared for his life. And when you see the video, you will see why he was scared for his life.”

Nichols’ family wants the officers charged with murder, family attorney Romanucci told CNN’s Erin Burnett Wednesday evening.

Video footage of the incident will be released sometime after 6 p.m. CT on Friday, Mulroy said Thursday during a press conference.

“A lot of the people’s questions about what exactly happened will, of course, be answered once people see the video,” Mulroy told CNN’s Laura Coates on Tuesday night, noting he believes the city will release enough footage to show the “entirety of the incident, from the very beginning to the very end.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I'm interested in more detail on them firing the fire paramedics who showed up.

Did they help hold him down? Take shots? Never heard of them getting fired in something like this.

loving horrible.

It's gonna get worse over the next couple of weeks between this and the escalations at Cop City