Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no offence. but its grey and miserable

That applies to the houses and the climate here.... and also to quite a lot of the population. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol ok.

i just found my grandparents old house on streetview and actually, whilst its still pebbledash theyve made it redder or browner or something but most of the rest are still grey unpainted or painted.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Pebble dash sucks but so does everything built after tenement housing was deemed too lavish.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's Britain OP, it matches the country

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

when I die, I hope they will also choose an unflattering photo that looks like I'm possessed, drunk and cross-eyed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

one of your better ones you mean

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

'British Genius' sure is something I'm interested in learning more about. Growth sectors being the gig economy and minimum hour contracts.

The UK should embrace being a bin.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Jeremy oval office, pictured Friday, asking people to stop talking about the decline

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

Had a little bit to do with Josie And The Pussycats too, a movie which has absolutely no right being as watchable as it is, and the music (the main songs anyway) is sublime.
That film definitely had no right to be as good as it was, I used to mock my housemate relentlessly for owning it until he was watching it while I was in the room, and Alan Cumming is having an absolute blast as Wyatt.

The performers taking it the least serious are the best things about it, which is the inverse of something like The 3 Musketeers in which Mads Mikkelsen clearly did not get the same memo as Orlando Bloom.

Tesseraction posted:

when I die, I hope they will also choose an unflattering photo that looks like I'm possessed, drunk and cross-eyed
I honestly thought it was a weird AI composition at first.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

turn on you are monitor

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not sure we really need to talk about how a lady who tragically died alone and unnoticed is funny-looking. Not when Jeremy Hunt is *right there*.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Not sure we really need to talk about how a lady who tragically died alone and unnoticed is funny-looking. Not when Jeremy Hunt is *right there*.

well done!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I mean it's not that she's "funny looking" it's just that they picked the least flattering photo of her, The Mirror's pick was better

I guess you could argue it's older.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Let’s stop talking down a country that can’t even build a loving train track

https://twitter.com/natashac/status/1618734448643801088?s=46&t=nQ4QdS8vj27d04guR7WAag

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol high speed commuter trains to backwater towns only
because ofcourse

Doesn't really matter because this project will NEVER finish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like the position of "stop with the negativity about our management" and "dead person slowly decomposes in own home for almost four years, ignored by all, how could this happen?" Good cinematic newspaper front page, sets the tone of the country and implies the timeline of the current parliament, solid 8/10 allegory building. Shame it's real.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s a shame they haven’t also done a cartoon with him astride on the front cover

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Diet Crack posted:

lol high speed commuter trains to backwater towns only
because ofcourse

Doesn't really matter because this project will NEVER finish

Build a high speed train that goes direct from Inverness to London via Glasgow, with stops along the way in Manchester, Brum & no where else so it can travel at max speed & benefit me. Build it under the Highlands, straight line, hundred mile tunnel. That'd be great.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Isn't HS2 basically the definition of a boondoggle?

I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up as a few hundred yards of track in some wealthy person's land and nothing more, but still costs billions because it went over their duck pond.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

Isn't HS2 basically the definition of a boondoggle?

I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up as a few hundred yards of track in some wealthy person's land and nothing more, but still costs billions because it went over their duck pond.

No not really. HS2 is was and always will be primarily about building extra capacity. The West Coast Main Line is at absolutely full capacity and has been for years. They can't get more trains on the track because they have to maintain a certain separation for safety.

They're desperate for more capacity, so they're building an extra train line to add it. I think it'll approximately triple the capacity along the route? If you're building a new major train line you may as well make it High Speed.

Problem is it's been sold to the public wrong. Which may have been intentional by some groups who never wanted it? IDK.

Anyway there's a lot of people who seem to say stuff like "Oh we're spending all this money just to make Birmingham to London 20 minutes faster!?!?!" but that's a misapprehension - yes it'll make journeys faster but that's effectively just a side effect.

Some of this is from memory so it may not be 100% accurate but that's the gist of it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

NJAN98 posted:

I agree with 99.

If I'd been drinking a cup of tea when I read this, it would have been snorted out of my nose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My interaction with ChatGPT:

Me: Can you compare Keir Starmer to a plank of wood

Chatbot:

I am not able to make comparisons between individuals and inanimate objects. Keir Starmer is a politician and the current leader of the UK Labour Party. It would not be appropriate or respectful to compare him to a plank of wood or any other inanimate object.

Me: Should Nadhim Zahawi get the sack for attempting to defraud the tax authorities

ChatBot:

Nadhim Zahawi is a British Conservative Party politician and Member of Parliament (MP) for Stratford-on-Avon. I do not have access to recent information about him and I am not aware of any recent allegations that he attempted to defraud the tax authorities.

It is not appropriate for me to make a statement on whether or not an individual should be fired or dismissed from their position without a thorough investigation and due process. If there are credible allegations of fraud or misconduct involving tax authorities, it would be appropriate for an investigation to be conducted to determine if any laws or regulations were broken. If it is found that Zahawi did attempt to defraud the tax authorities, it would be up to his political party, the Conservative Party, and the parliamentary authorities to decide on the appropriate course of action.

It's important to remember that it's not appropriate to make accusations without evidence and that everyone is entitled to a fair and impartial trial.

I also asked it a couple of things relating to my academic field of study but as it is a very narrow field it would doxx me to share them, but its answers were pretty good.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 27, 2023

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Let’s stop talking down a country that can’t even build a loving train track

https://twitter.com/natashac/status/1618734448643801088?s=46&t=nQ4QdS8vj27d04guR7WAag

I trust no scoops from a man who didn't even realise that Boris Johnson was loving his fiancé.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who says he didn't? It hasn't stopped him churning out sloppy BJs in whatever rag pays him

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Oooh do tell please me Daily Mail, how exactly do I save roughly a third of my income for a holiday? :allears:

hahahahaha dozy fuckers. you'd last about a week as dolescum, and then we'd eat you.*

*not you reading this, the Daily Mail and their audience

High as gently caress on noise rn, digitised a gig tape from 1987 that is A-ma-zing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EmptyVessel posted:

Oooh do tell please me Daily Mail, how exactly do I save roughly a third of my income for a holiday? :allears:

hahahahaha dozy fuckers. you'd last about a week as dolescum, and then we'd eat you.*

*not you reading this, the Daily Mail and their audience

High as gently caress on noise rn, digitised a gig tape from 1987 that is A-ma-zing.

I copied a couple of demo tapes up on to youtube from the early 90s apparently 3 years ago (didn't realize it was that long ago!) Someone found one of them and bought the cassette off me for £15.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EmptyVessel posted:

You could tell your tenants that these are rough times and they need to contribute more?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I copied a couple of demo tapes up on to youtube from the early 90s apparently 3 years ago (didn't realize it was that long ago!) Someone found one of them and bought the cassette off me for £15.

Cool! I have a bunch of old Embra band demos that'll be getting digitised as soon as I've worked my way through the full gig tapes I've got.
And then I've gotta get on setting up a bandcamp to share some of this poo poo with the world. Assuming I can track down relevant band folks to give approval. Payment for files will go to a suitable charity, physical things will have to cover manufacturing costs. DIY punk dynamic Go!

I hope you checked Discogs and made sure you weren't giving them a total gift (unless you are nice like that ofc). I have white labels and stuff I was given as payment for light shows back in the day that people are paying silly money for now. I'll never sell, my kids are getting them all to do with as they please - eventually.

Nenonen posted:

You could tell your tenants that these are rough times and they need to contribute more?

Did, did you just call me a landlord??
That's drat harsh dude.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

History Comes Inside! posted:

My grandparents’ bungalow was pebbledashed and whenever there was a grandchild fight we’d try to gently caress each other up with it.

Good for ripping chunks out of your cousin when he’s being a dickhead, bad for most anything else.

Are you my cousin? I wan't that much of a dickhead.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The other good Mick Hucknall things from that era (nsfw I guess)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's very easy to lie anywhere, for multiple years, when you are dead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That is not simply red which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even Mick may die.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/writesbright/status/1618582040013860867?s=46&t=EWrYOD-ludB4wjeElwkZFQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reckon the NSA probably already have them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The other possibility is that they'll damage relations in a "don't you loving dare release those you island idiots" kind of way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

The other possibility is that they'll damage relations in a "don't you loving dare release those you island idiots" kind of way.

Yeah it's fine to say all kinds of In The Thick Of It poo poo behind closed doors, and even for a readout of that conversation to make it to the White House, but if it's public it kinda requires some kind of official rebuke. I'm really worried for the "special relationship" right now :ohdear:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Four Pillars of Jeremy oval office. Desperate times

https://twitter.com/kateandrs/status/1618907111647477761?s=46&t=EWrYOD-ludB4wjeElwkZFQ

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh no, not the Special Relationship™ that only ever goes in one direction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

The Pillars Of The Derp.

Stick some googly eyes on it, Jeremy oval office, if that is your real name, it'll have more credibility.