Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tetrabor posted:

Too many winners? Nowadays kids love losing 95% of the time in Battle Royales.

yeah but when there's so much chaos going on in fortnite you can just blame it on random chance
when you lose in overwatch you can just yell slurs at your team's healer and say it's all their fault
get your poo poo rocked in league of legends? blame the matchmaking algorithm for giving you a "bad team"

when you lose in street fighter you don't have any way to divert blame, you gotta accept the L for real

satanic splash-back posted:

For Honor was originally released with attacks slow enough to react to on sight if you had good reaction time. Very few combos (only one character of 8 could do more than 3 hits in a row, and it was their specialty).

Designers trashed the system and remade it into traditional combo combat and memorization because it wasn't popular with fighting game people online.

E: it was really fun and amazingly unfair because there was not a single move you could use from neutral without the opponent having a chance to block. Feints and mindgames were more important than animation memorization so of course it wasn't popular

nah for honor sucked because everything was so slow that feints and mindgames didn't really exist
like even if you feint attacking one direction and then attack the other one, feints were so slow that the other guy could just wait and see whether it was a feint or not and still have time to block
there's no mindgames involved at all because they never have to guess/predict what you're gonna do next, it's just a reaction time check.

at launch, if two players knew their opponent had 'good' reaction speed, the game winning move was to just take your hands off the controller and never attack.
because you would never land a hit no matter how much you feinted, but parries were still strong (and could be used on reaction without any mindgames / prediction!). so the first player to attack loses

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Planet's dying Terra.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Kefka is my co-pilot.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

kntfkr posted:

Planet's dying Terra.

#*$@!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I agree on combos ruining fighting games. Learning even bread & butter combos is an annoying barrier to starting out or trying other characters. They're also kind of boring once you know what's going on, just watching someone get juggled around for awhile.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah but when there's so much chaos going on in fortnite you can just blame it on random chance
when you lose in overwatch you can just yell slurs at your team's healer and say it's all their fault
get your poo poo rocked in league of legends? blame the matchmaking algorithm for giving you a "bad team"

when you lose in street fighter you don't have any way to divert blame, you gotta accept the L for real

nah for honor sucked because everything was so slow that feints and mindgames didn't really exist
like even if you feint attacking one direction and then attack the other one, feints were so slow that the other guy could just wait and see whether it was a feint or not and still have time to block
there's no mindgames involved at all because they never have to guess/predict what you're gonna do next, it's just a reaction time check.

at launch, if two players knew their opponent had 'good' reaction speed, the game winning move was to just take your hands off the controller and never attack.
because you would never land a hit no matter how much you feinted, but parries were still strong (and could be used on reaction without any mindgames / prediction!). so the first player to attack loses

For Honor wasn't a 1v1 fighting game. The game had 4v4, 2v2, and 1v1.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
For Honor sat in this awkward medium between a good 1v1 fighting game and something like Chivalry or Mount and Blade.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Reported.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like the Disgraced better than Dishonored. The getting pissed on physics were really good.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Hey now, at least they don't look like stock RPGMaker assets like they did the last time around

popular opinion: This is an abomination and I'm glad it's been discontinued.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I got a lot of mileage out of my "US Marines are Homosexuals" Steam name

do you have these marines' numbers??

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

satanic splash-back posted:

For Honor wasn't a 1v1 fighting game. The game had 4v4, 2v2, and 1v1.

the 2v2 and 1v1 modes had all the problems i described (especially since most of the players in 2v2 were really big on e-bushido honorable duels and would try to play it as a series of 1v1s instead of actually ganging up on people)
i never got into the 4v4 mode, i think it had some kind of moba mechanics? and metaprogression bs where you had to level up to get bigger stats and cooler killstreak active effects? or something

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Man say what you want about the art direction of the Pixel Remasters but some of the new arrangements of the music are loving baller as poo poo. This is prob the best version of Battle on the Big Bridge ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czaNPWhil0c

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the 2v2 and 1v1 modes had all the problems i described (especially since most of the players in 2v2 were really big on e-bushido honorable duels and would try to play it as a series of 1v1s instead of actually ganging up on people)
i never got into the 4v4 mode, i think it had some kind of moba mechanics? and metaprogression bs where you had to level up to get bigger stats and cooler killstreak active effects? or something

Yeah the duel thing was really dumb and you'd see it some in 4v4. No I'm not doing that if I wanted to 1v1 I would be playing 1v1 for fucks sake. That game also had like terrible everything besides the actual video game (menus, net code, dumb currency, equipment).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 27, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Man say what you want about the art direction of the Pixel Remasters but some of the new arrangements of the music are loving baller as poo poo. This is prob the best version of Battle on the Big Bridge ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czaNPWhil0c

I really dig the like loungy-jazz-fusion thing that has been sneaking into final fantasy music since FFXI (or maybe earlier?) that you can hear here. the launcher music for FFXI is still the best final fantasy music ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mxRUKehtE

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

deep dish peat moss posted:

I really dig the like loungy-jazz thing that has been sneaking into final fantasy music since FFXI (or maybe earlier?) that you can hear here. the launcher music for FFXI is still the best final fantasy music ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mxRUKehtE

I been slowly playing thru FFXI solo in my quest to play all the FF games and that poo poo is burned into my brain already lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Now imagine if it took 8 hours to patch the game and if there was any interruption it would start over

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I leveled my subclass up to 50 in like three hours and that poo poo felt good to me I'm glad I don't have to spend 8 trillion hours on it like some poor mfer 15 years ago.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I leveled my subclass up to 50 in like three hours and that poo poo felt good to me I'm glad I don't have to spend 8 trillion hours on it like some poor mfer 15 years ago.

15 years ago was 2008, after 6 years of updates.

FFXI today is a genuinely good time and I like their approach to keeping it maintained and updated like a museum for old MMO design. It’s also, IIRC, gaining in popularity because video games suck so much nowadays people are going back to final fantasy XI

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

neato burrito posted:

Kefka is my co-pilot.

welcome to my barbecue motherfucker

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Persona 4 Goldens opening song/cinematic/title screen thingy is the best one ever. Not sure what that is called but it is awesome.

How do I know? Because idiot me has now purchased it 3 times and still not finished. Maybe this time.

Persona 4's great and you should definitely see it through! How far do you get?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goldens OP is bullshit, whistling is bullshit

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Man say what you want about the art direction of the Pixel Remasters but some of the new arrangements of the music are loving baller as poo poo. This is prob the best version of Battle on the Big Bridge ever made

Hard loving agree. Basically all of the music remasters for the pixel releases are loving godlike.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The pixel remasters were just a sneaky way to sell orchestral soundtracks for $18 each

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Is Japan's economy still one-third based on sales of Compact Discs?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh I didn't know they redid the soundtracks for those releases.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Devils Affricate posted:

The pixel remasters were just a sneaky way to sell orchestral soundtracks for $18 each

And I am forever thankful for it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Beartaco posted:

Oh I didn't know they redid the soundtracks for those releases.

the ones with soulja boy are the best ones

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Which one ends with you supermanning god?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
imagine if instead of ONE WING ANGEL that the last cbattle with sephirpoht was set to hit song CUM WITH ME by PUFF DADDY & the lead zeppelins

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The finishing moves in For Honor are extremely well animated. I do wish there was a little more to the game though, it gets kinda old after an hour - 2 hour session

kntfkr posted:

Is Japan's economy still one-third based on sales of Compact Discs?

The last Tower Records store is still going strong over here, charging people 80 bucks for CD + DVD combos and actually making a profit.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Waltzing Along posted:

Persona 4 Goldens opening song/cinematic/title screen thingy is the best one ever. Not sure what that is called but it is awesome.

How do I know? Because idiot me has now purchased it 3 times and still not finished. Maybe this time.

I've been playing P4G for the first time and I always let the OP play in full before playing and then I make sure to return to the title screen to watch it again when I'm finished. Tune is just too drat catchy

:hmmyes:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Remember when Kotaku threw a poo poo-fit because they thought the phrase "Retort it" in the Persona 5 music was the R-slur? That was good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Games that need practice to master are just really really badly designed games, and should be banned from existing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Good job i can just stroll into a league of legends match, play a champ I don't know and get 15 kills then

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Games that need practice to master are just really really badly designed games, and should be banned from existing.

Worst opinion yet in this thread, completely cursed

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This isn't even an unpopular opinion, it's just shitposting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at the Ikaruga-playing fuckos immediately melting down when they see some truth ITT.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Good job i can just stroll into a league of legends match, play a champ I don't know and get 15 kills then

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but after the insane amount of time I've played that game, this is absolutely legit true. I'm at the point where I have over 100k blue essence, and all champs, so a new one comes out I just buy it day one and run it down.

Although, this is absolutely not a counter argument to the argument about needing practice, so, y'know. Erm. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but after the insane amount of time I've played that game, this is absolutely legit true. I'm at the point where I have over 100k blue essence, and all champs, so a new one comes out I just buy it day one and run it down.

Although, this is absolutely not a counter argument to the argument about needing practice, so, y'know. Erm. Hmm.

I am absolutely not joking, i played Varus and Ezreal for the first time last night and owned bones with both.

Can't do Draven though