Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think a lot of people just aren't aware that continuing to use a bulging laptop battery is like rolling the dice on whether or not you get to experience a surprise lithium ion blowtorch that day

WoRkS fOr Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think a lot of people just aren't aware that continuing to use a bulging laptop battery is like rolling the dice on whether or not you get to experience a surprise lithium ion blowtorch that day

they're just holding it wrong

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So... any recommendations for a place to buy a new battery? IFixit has one for $99.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s probably your best bet tbh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah IFixit is by far the best vendor

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Excuse me, it does not have the height-adjustable stand. Hard pass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Excuse me, it does not have the height-adjustable stand. Hard pass.

No inputs for my 8 consoles. No sale.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

No inputs for my 8 consoles. No sale.

I can't believe it doesn't have Thunderbolt 4. Belongs in a landfill.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

So... any recommendations for a place to buy a new battery? IFixit has one for $99.
NewerTech NuPower is the best. In the past iFixit has sold chinese copies that they claim are fine.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Dammit Samsung just give us pricing and a release date on the S9 already.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

SourKraut posted:

I can't believe it doesn't have Thunderbolt 4. Belongs in a landfill.

this legit sucks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of hardware replacements, what’s they going stance on Apple Care for non phone/tablet stuff? I could see it being useful if the baby spilled water on my laptop or knocked it off a table or whatever but the deductible for non broken screen stuff is such that I suspect I’d be better off with a personal items policy from my insurance provider. It’d be a great deal cheaper too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

but the deductible for non broken screen stuff is such that I suspect I’d be better off with a personal items policy from my insurance provider.

This is kinda where I’m at with it when it comes to the laptops.

I have it on my phone and tablet but not on my MBP

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are any stores blowing out base model 14" M1 MBPs yet? Like ~$1500? If not, this will happen at some point soon now that people can order M2 Pros, yeah?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Would the new Pro M2 Max with 96gb RAM be perceptibly faster than an Pro M1 Max with 64gb RAM?

When I went from my 2016 Pro to the M1 Max , my Keyshot render time went from 2 minutes to about 20 seconds. Often more like 12 seconds.

Will the M2 keyshot render before I hit the button?

Will video rendering and InvokeAI be like stupidly faster?

E: holy loving poo poo, is this right???? It seems like processor wise the M2 Max is a little bit faster, maybe 10-20%. But the graphics speeds for video?? Am I looking at this right?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 27, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t think that graph is accurate. It says it beat the Ultra by 7 seconds but the bar is about 40 seconds shorter.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just got my 2023 14 mbp and holy poo poo. Coming from 2016 i7 15 mbp. This thing is a portable beast!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Moist Chowder posted:

It sounds like you may be sensitive to pulse-width modulation (PWM) flicker, which that MBP uses, but that model iPad does not.

Gonna need a citation on that one. Virtually all LCD displays with LED backlighting use some form of PWM modulation to control brightness. It's almost required in battery powered devices since PWM is so energy efficient.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m among the “no PWM” crowd for the same reason. The headaches are real.

Good luck finding a LED backlit LCD display which actually, no bullshit, does not use PWM.

Unfortunately the reason why this topic is such a rabbit hole is there's a shitload of misinformation spread by well-meaning people who don't really understand what PWM is, or how eyes work, but have been told it's totally the thing responsible for their eyestrain. In the resulting forum threads, lots of wildly incorrect ideas spread like wildfire.

pipebomb posted:

I use True Tone on both, Night Shift from 8pm-8am. Usually 18-24” away, on my lap. If I use the MBP in the morning for work, then shift to the iPad, it’s ok for a few hours but eventually the strain occurs.

Have you tried turning TrueTone and/or Night Shift off? I personally find TrueTone and automatic brightness very annoying - I don't want constant slight changes in color temperature and brightness just because I moved my hand and momentarily shaded the TT sensor, or whatever.

Exact viewing distance plus the size of objects on screen matters too. Your eyes may be straining to focus on one display, and not as much on the other.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

Are any stores blowing out base model 14" M1 MBPs yet? Like ~$1500? If not, this will happen at some point soon now that people can order M2 Pros, yeah?

They've been on sale for $1599 off and on for several months now.
https://www.costco.com/macbook-pro-(14-inch)---apple-m1-pro-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-14-core-gpu%2c-512gb-ssd.product.100713178.html

I think Costco or Best Buy may discount them but with Apple stuff even a $100 discount often causes them to move pretty quickly out of inventory or sent back to Apple as refurb stock. Don't expect blowout prices.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 27, 2023

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Would the new Pro M2 Max with 96gb RAM be perceptibly faster than an Pro M1 Max with 64gb RAM?

Yes, but probably not because of the RAM. Unless you actually need more than 64GB RAM.

in general, the CPU, GPU, and neural engine improvements are incremental. Won't leave your M1 in the dust. If you decide to conspicuously consume you'll probably be happy with the performance uplift, but you can safely skip a generation here if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FCKGW posted:

They've been on sale for $1599 off and on for several months now.
https://www.costco.com/macbook-pro-(14-inch)---apple-m1-pro-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-14-core-gpu%2c-512gb-ssd.product.100713178.html

I think Costco or Best Buy may discount them but with Apple stuff even a $100 discount often causes them to move pretty quickly out of inventory or sent back to Apple as refurb stock. Don't expect blowout prices.

Thanks. And to somewhat answer my own question, the referb store also has them for $1539 currently.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Question for those of you that have bought a laptop in the last few years:

My order details say the following:
Apple M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
Accessory Kit
96W USB-C Power Adapter

Now I presume that the laptop will come with a USB-C to USB-C cable with enough heft to be able to charge the machine because that'd be pretty hosed up not to. However is my read that I would have to purchase a Magsafe charger separately correct here?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Warbird posted:

Accessory Kit
96W USB-C Power Adapter

Now I presume that the laptop will come with a USB-C to USB-C cable with enough heft to be able to charge the machine because that'd be pretty hosed up not to. However is my read that I would have to purchase a Magsafe charger separately correct here?

Got mine today, the power adapter comes with just the magsafe charger cable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Warbird posted:

Accessory Kit
96W USB-C Power Adapter

No, the power brick they'll send you has a usb-c port in it, but the cable is usb-c to magsafe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh perfect, thank you. I presume it still has the little bit on the wall wart (or whatever we call them now) where you can slot in the extension cord?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Warbird posted:

Oh perfect, thank you. I presume it still has the little bit on the wall wart (or whatever we call them now) where you can slot in the extension cord?

Yes, but they don't ship it with the extension anymore. I haven't even bothered switching the brick to that extension because I'm almost never in a situation where I need to use the thing while plugged in. The battery life is just that good.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Unfortunately the reason why this topic is such a rabbit hole is there's a shitload of misinformation spread by well-meaning people who don't really understand what PWM is, or how eyes work, but have been told it's totally the thing responsible for their eyestrain. In the resulting forum threads, lots of wildly incorrect ideas spread like wildfire.
However, while there is a lot of accuracy in this caveat, let's not respond in such a way as to insinuate that PWM has little impact on eye strain, headaches, and migraine occurrence. It has been pretty well established that low-frequency PWM can cause such in individuals with certain sensitivities; higher-refresh PWM is where more research is required.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Baronash posted:

Yes, but they don't ship it with the extension anymore. I haven't even bothered switching the brick to that extension because I'm almost never in a situation where I need to use the thing while plugged in. The battery life is just that good.

That's no problem for me as I have an extension already so I can just sub out for that and keep my existing charging place. I probably should order a dedicated MS2 charger setup for travel or whatever, but that can wait.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SourKraut posted:

However, while there is a lot of accuracy in this caveat, let's not respond in such a way as to insinuate that PWM has little impact on eye strain, headaches, and migraine occurrence. It has been pretty well established that low-frequency PWM can cause such in individuals with certain sensitivities; higher-refresh PWM is where more research is required.

Absolutely, and this is especially true for OLED displays, which often use PWM modulation frequencies of as little as a few hundred Hz.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally pulled the trigger on my M2 Mac Mini! Ended up talking myself down from the M2 Pro and realized that the M1 will meet my needs. Ordered the M2 with 24GB RAM and 512GB hard drive. Also ordered an OWC HDD enclosure so that I can plug in two 12TB drives over USB-C and use that for all my storage needs, going to just use one to back up the other with Time Machine, since that has served me well with easily swapping out drives as they have died over the years.

Really excited! My home machine is literally a 2008 Mac Pro that just turned 15 years old! I've finally reached the point where I just can't run certain apps anymore. Forever stuck on Premiere 2018, and now Dropbox stopped supporting it, and a couple other programs I use dropped support as well. So it felt more like out of necessity than anything.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BobHoward posted:

Yes, but probably not because of the RAM. Unless you actually need more than 64GB RAM.

in general, the CPU, GPU, and neural engine improvements are incremental. Won't leave your M1 in the dust. If you decide to conspicuously consume you'll probably be happy with the performance uplift, but you can safely skip a generation here if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.

Thanks. I think you may have just made my bank account happy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on my M2 Mac Mini! Ended up talking myself down from the M2 Pro and realized that the M1 will meet my needs. Ordered the M2 with 24GB RAM and 512GB hard drive. Also ordered an OWC HDD enclosure so that I can plug in two 12TB drives over USB-C and use that for all my storage needs, going to just use one to back up the other with Time Machine, since that has served me well with easily swapping out drives as they have died over the years.

Really excited! My home machine is literally a 2008 Mac Pro that just turned 15 years old! I've finally reached the point where I just can't run certain apps anymore. Forever stuck on Premiere 2018, and now Dropbox stopped supporting it, and a couple other programs I use dropped support as well. So it felt more like out of necessity than anything.
You’re gonna nut.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know is this goes in Mac Hardware, iPhone, HomePod or whatever other thread but gently caress it I'll roll the dice here, Apple nerds is Apple nerds.

I've got some AirPods Max. I want to use them with 3.5mm output devices and still have transparency mode. I have heard that only Apple's lovely overpriced flimsy official Lightning-3.5mm cable will permit this. Is this still true? If there's a better cable that also works I am super all ears, even if it's still expensive, because gently caress Apple's cables prior to literally the latest versions when they finally started doing braided ones that don't fall apart.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are the plastic clamshell case things still popular for MacBooks? The wife has always gotten ones for her machines but I can’t imagine they do anything worth a drat beyond block superficial scratches.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They’re “popular” but I think they’re actually bad because they trap dirt/sand/whatever in there and then grind against the pressure points for all eternity. Just get a soft folio case for actual transportation and don’t throw the thing around.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Or get a kickin' rad skin for it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's really neat but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I used to do vehicle wraps and I never never never want to do anything like that again. Just watching their instructional video gives me minor anxiety. I know they can't but I wish they could do like you see with phone screen protectors now and just have an idiot proof chassis system. I'll go browse around and see if I can grow enough of a pair to get over it.

edit: boy you sure could get a leather one. dammit.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 28, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Fedule posted:

I don't know is this goes in Mac Hardware, iPhone, HomePod or whatever other thread but gently caress it I'll roll the dice here, Apple nerds is Apple nerds.

I've got some AirPods Max. I want to use them with 3.5mm output devices and still have transparency mode. I have heard that only Apple's lovely overpriced flimsy official Lightning-3.5mm cable will permit this. Is this still true? If there's a better cable that also works I am super all ears, even if it's still expensive, because gently caress Apple's cables prior to literally the latest versions when they finally started doing braided ones that don't fall apart.
Apple also makes a male lightning to female 3.5" adapter that has a DAC in it which may work and is significantly cheaper. I've also got a pair of AirPods Max and I'm pretty sure I have a few of those adapters around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up along with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and test it out and get back to you.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Apple also makes a male lightning to female 3.5" adapter that has a DAC in it which may work and is significantly cheaper. I've also got a pair of AirPods Max and I'm pretty sure I have a few of those adapters around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up along with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and test it out and get back to you.

Won't work, for this purpose you need ADC. I think this is the Apple product Fedule was hoping to find an alternative to:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXK22AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-audio-cable-12m-white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Warbird posted:

That's no problem for me as I have an extension already so I can just sub out for that and keep my existing charging place. I probably should order a dedicated MS2 charger setup for travel or whatever, but that can wait.

It depends on the length of you trips obviously and how much computing you do on then. But I’m finding with my M1 16” that I never need a charger for a day at work and I just came back from a two day meeting and didn’t charge at all on the trip.

I still packed a brick but it was pretty impressive and is changing what I think of as needing for default packing.