Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on the other hand the majority of audiophile network switches i see are unmanaged ethernet switches which frequently run at 100Mbps, probably because that's the speed of the TP-Link card that they're using to make their dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

on the other hand the majority of audiophile network switches i see are unmanaged ethernet switches which frequently run at 100Mbps, probably because that's the speed of the TP-Link card that they're using to make their dumb poo poo

The good thing about audio is you can get away with that since I think the highest bitrate DSD averages like 8 megabit.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ASR troll logic starter pack: You can't hear differences in SINAD between 120 vs 115 dB therefore I only trust my ears in sighted comparisons

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Palladium posted:

ASR troll logic starter pack: You can't hear differences in SINAD between 120 vs 115 dB therefore I only trust my ears in sighted comparisons

ONLY TRUST YOUR EARS

RESPONSE CURVES WILL NEVER HELP YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

The good thing about audio is you can get away with that since I think the highest bitrate DSD averages like 8 megabit.

That's 92 Mb/s of unused dynamic range!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Feels Villeneuve posted:

audiophile engineering is pushing the boundaries so hard they can't even pay the chinese $1 for gigabit ports on a $2000 box

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Palladium posted:

audiophile engineering is pushing the boundaries so hard they can't even pay the chinese $1 for gigabit ports on a $2000 box

i kind of differentiate between useless poo poo that's clearly a labor of love, like insane mass-loaded turntables that look like steampunk espresso machines and cost $100k, versus stuff that is blatantly made in bad faith like shoving the innards of a TP-Link into a new case

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i kind of differentiate between useless poo poo that's clearly a labor of love, like insane mass-loaded turntables that look like steampunk espresso machines and cost $100k, versus stuff that is blatantly made in bad faith like shoving the innards of a TP-Link into a new case

Who was it who was selling rebadged $400 Oppo blu ray players for 3 grand, I think Lexicon?

e: Yup. couldn't even spring for silver effect applique for the disc drawer. Also, $3500!

e2: now I wish Oppo would come out of retirement and make one last UHD player but I doubt they even have an optical drive division anymore :smith:

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
reminded me to collect a used CD player with spdif as a keepsake

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 20, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

qirex posted:

Who was it who was selling rebadged $400 Oppo blu ray players for 3 grand, I think Lexicon?

e: Yup. couldn't even spring for silver effect applique for the disc drawer. Also, $3500!

e2: now I wish Oppo would come out of retirement and make one last UHD player but I doubt they even have an optical drive division anymore :smith:

people loved those oppos, after they stopped making them a grey market of dubiously constructed chinese clones running the same chipset and oppos firmware sprung up to fill the void

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you really want to just immerse yourself in weapons-grade pseudoscientific bullshit, may I suggest this review of the $27,800 Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio Stereo Purifier

quote:

It’s only natural to focus on the processor’s clarification of individual instrumental lines and the physical disposition of the performers, but I shouldn’t neglect to point out that crosstalk cancellation, as executed by the BACCH filter, can elucidate harmonic detail, as well. The characteristically dense orchestral textures of composers like Brahms, Richard Strauss, or Messiaen can seem murky as represented on recordings, which isn’t the case in the concert hall. BACCH can improve upon that artifact of stereo playback to a significant degree. It’s true, as well, with complex vocal arrangements in popular music genres. Compare Donald Fagen’s extravagant harmonies on the title track of Morph the Cat with the filter on and off, and you’ll know what I mean; prepare to enjoy Queen’s most operatic moments to the fullest—the first 45 seconds of “Bohemian Rhapsody” makes the point nicely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wtf I can't believe I've been listening in unpurified stereo this whole time!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I have a UV light shining on my HDMI cables, to kill all the bad bits before they get to my receiver.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

If you really want to just immerse yourself in weapons-grade pseudoscientific bullshit, may I suggest this review of the $27,800 Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio Stereo Purifier

it actually has a mic that learns your room modes and a camera that adjusts the EQ depending on where it detects you in the room

at least this does something unlike loving power and digital cables/cleaners and ethernet switches

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Uses the camera to detect you touching yourself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Palladium posted:

it actually has a mic that learns your room modes and a camera that adjusts the EQ depending on where it detects you in the room

at least this does something unlike loving power and digital cables/cleaners and ethernet switches

yeah it'd be fun to try a demo because that at least theoretically does something, though i'm virtually positive it isn't $25,000 worth of something

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah it'd be fun to try a demo because that at least theoretically does something, though i'm virtually positive it isn't $25,000 worth of something

To be fair, if it’s actually doing machine vision listener recognition and adjusting EQ in real time and is doing it in a way that sounds good and they had someone in house write the software they’re gonna have to sell a few of these to break even.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i also remembered seeing a $20K soundbar that claims to go down to 20Hz without a sub

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Palladium posted:

i also remembered seeing a $20K soundbar that claims to go down to 20Hz without a sub

9 yard wide 1 yard deep soundbar?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m sure it does go down to 20 Hz it’s just -50 dB

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The $8k Bang and Olufsen claims to do a frequency response of 28 Hz - 23,000 Hz, it looks really good though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Animale posted:

The $8k Bang and Olufsen claims to do a frequency response of 28 Hz - 23,000 Hz, it looks really good though.

It has dual 6.5" woofers so that's reasonable with room gain. There's that huge $1500 JBL thing too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Once you have 6" drivers in there I think it stops being a soundbar and it's more a long speaker

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That JBL thing is actually kinda cool but yeah I'm not sure why you'd get that and not just get a pair of powered speakers instead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

Speaking of stupidly expensive speakers, it's nice to see ones that actually look like they should cost 6 figures [80k euro/pair]. A lot of the boutique stuff is just fugly

Those and a Naim Statement to drive them would be a good "gently caress you I'm rich" system.

Wait, are you saying these aren't loving ugly? Because lol if so, lmao.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wait, are you saying these aren't loving ugly? Because lol if so, lmao.

The big naim amp that looks like a late 90’s supercomputer is kinda cool but yeah those speakers are ugly as hell.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Figured out what it reminds me of

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

The big naim amp that looks like a late 90’s supercomputer is kinda cool but yeah those speakers are ugly as hell.

I'm the screaming Minion lol.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look it's not audiophile but 100% thought of this thread when I read this

I saw these coasters advertised online and thought there's no way they actually work. But I was intrigued so I bought 2 coasters. I don't know how, or why, it works, but it does!! These coasters emit a frequency into your drink and make it smoother, tames harsh alcohol, aerates red wine, reduces oxidation, etc. I did side by side with multiple red wines and bourbon and the difference was dramatically noticeable. Check them out! I talked to the inventor and if you use the link below you will save 10% on any size order. I'm very interested to see what my homebrew friends think. Try with an older beer and see if it reduces the oxidation.

it's a Boce coaster.
It um... Transfers an oxidation to the beverage sitting on it through ?methods?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Finally. An at home solution to smooth my water.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

I saw these coasters advertised online and thought there's no way they actually work. But I was intrigued so I bought 2 coasters. I don't know how, or why, it works, but it does!! These coasters emit a frequency into your drink and make it smoother, tames harsh alcohol, aerates red wine, reduces oxidation, etc. I did side by side with multiple red wines and bourbon and the difference was dramatically noticeable. Check them out! I talked to the inventor and if you use the link below you will save 10% on any size order. I'm very interested to see what my homebrew friends think. Try with an older beer and see if it reduces the oxidation.

it's a Boce coaster.

The forbidden power of the QR Code

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mederlock posted:

The forbidden power of the QR Code

Quality Refreshment code

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

tater_salad posted:

it's a Boce coaster.

Username/post combination checks out.

I have some slate coasters that I laser engraved with a special pattern I created myself. It turns tap water into a '45 Lafite Rothschild. I verified it with the guy sitting outside of the local liquor store that said he's a Level 3 sommelier and he confirmed the vintage. I'm working on different patterns to make different results. My next goal is a 1973 Weller Cabin Still bourbon from the original Stitzel Weller distillery.

PM me if you want to beta test for me. I'll only charge $420.69 each plus shipping.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Will they increase the brightness of my stereo system too?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Username/post combination checks out.

PM me if you want to beta test for me. I'll only charge $420.69 each plus shipping.

What does John Cena have to do with coasters?

Also don’t buy this knockoff, I sell one for $80081.35 which is obviously better than anything at that sub five-diggie price

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tater_salad posted:

Will they increase the brightness of my stereo system too?

If you drink enough, yes.

But not too much or you'll muddy it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ohan the discussion is going deeper people

The one I have is the Perfect Sommelier, it uses rare earth magnets.  I searched [local company] site and did not see it and on another site its not currently available.  It does work.  I have done several blind side by side tests.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

literally some site selling the perfect sommelier posted:

The Perfect Sommelier “improves” virtually any wine in less than 30 minutes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quotes theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've been living in a beverage dark age. I open a bottle and drink from it.. usually no coaster!