Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hyperlynx posted:

What's she going to do though? The whole point was that she was waking Mordremoth, and he's dead as a doornail now.

Was she? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tarbrush posted:

Was she? Why?

When she used Omadd's machine and saw the Eternal Alchemy, Mordremoth more or less possessed her. He could do that because (HoT spoilers) Sylvari are Mordremoth dragon minions.

But yes, that was the reason she attacked Lion's Arch. To get at the leyline under it, to tap into it, to send a burst of energy off into Maguuma to wake Mordremoth

E: anyway, that's why I was so stoked to get to finally play LW season 1, and why youse should play LW1, 2, and then HoT. I thought it was a really cool plot twist

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 27, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of the EoD characters are so completely forgettable that I'm not exactly looking forward to doing Living world with them. At this point honestly they should just flip the table and have us get stranded on a new continent or something to give it a fresh start instead of Commander this Commander that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait as one of those dorks from way in the past who first quit during the start of living story, you're telling me there are characters worse than trahearne?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How bad the early story was was directly related to whether you picked the favored and best race (sylvari)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TeaJay posted:

A lot of the EoD characters are so completely forgettable that I'm not exactly looking forward to doing Living world with them. At this point honestly they should just flip the table and have us get stranded on a new continent or something to give it a fresh start instead of Commander this Commander that.

"Commander!"
"Yeah, what? Another world-ending catastrophe? I've averted half a dozen of those. I've killed a god, killed all the elder dragons but one, and that one is my goddamn friend. So, what horrible thing threatens the cosmos that I have to personally deal with now?"
"Some of my pet scorpions have gone missing. Round them up and also collect any carrots you see!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How bad the early story was was directly related to whether you picked the favored and best race (sylvari)

I picked sylvari and it was awful, so either :thejoke: or you're just really into trees.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trahearne's voice actor sounds like a text-to-speech engine a lot of streamers use to read donations, it's so bad. Completely devoid of emotion.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
LS6 should really be a retelling of "Three Men and a Baby," "Kindergarten Cop," or "Look Who's Talking, Too."

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I kinda wanted to go on adventures with one of the characters in EoD but oops, dead now.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The story itself was never anything but mediocre but I personally really like the Dragon's Watch cast and their modern (Season 3 onwards) writing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Wait as one of those dorks from way in the past who first quit during the start of living story, you're telling me there are characters worse than trahearne?

Three. One of which is dead, one of which we’ve all been waiting to die for a decade, and one of which never had to be as bad as they are but hope of redemption is faint.

Of course all the best characters die in the same arc they get introduced in.

I thought the first half of IBS had the best writing this game has ever had, which isn’t saying much but it’s an improvement at least. Some of it even had the potential to be genuinely good but it got arenanet’d. End of Dragons I’d put second after that if for no other reason than the characters actually felt like characters, although a lot of that credit probably goes to the voice actors.

I’d honestly love a living world that doesn’t have any one central theme but each episode is about tying up a loose end in the plot or figuring out a mystery in the world or something like that. There are definitely enough of those lying around to build on.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

SlothBear posted:

I’d honestly love a living world that doesn’t have any one central theme but each episode is about tying up a loose end in the plot or figuring out a mystery in the world or something like that. There are definitely enough of those lying around to build on.

The Gang Finds A Floating Wizard

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Trahearne is miles ahead better than the other Living world companions you get and this is a hill I'm willing to die on, even if my first and main character was a sylvari.

Also core personal story is better than anything else that comes after it, just ruined by talking heads dialogue style and awful Zhaitan conclusion. It's actually a coherent story, at least.

The problem with EoD characters is mostly that they're very forgettable and bland. At least people love to hate Scarlet and Braham. No one talks about That One Chinese Guy With A Hat or That Other Chinese Mechanic NPC. Also the story feels _incredibly_ rushed and sometimes people refer to events that have not happened to us or if you follow the main story, happen in map events or somewhere else between the lines.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The story is absolutely laser focused on the main objective of avoiding doing anything with any of its interesting factors at all costs.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

TeaJay posted:

That One Chinese Guy With A Hat

I feel like Rama is pretty popular, or at least his hat is.

EDIT: Can we at least magic Blish back out of the mists, though?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i could take or leave the others but marjory, kasmeer, and canach are great

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Rox wasn’t the most exciting, but she was a good voice-of-reason/grounded character.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Small WvW updates coming next week! https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-january-31-preview/

More rewards is always good. The siege changes seem good, especially for rams since there is little point to using them over catapults right now. Not sure if the supply changes are helpful or not, so will wait and see on that one.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

whydirt posted:

Small WvW updates coming next week! https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-january-31-preview/

More rewards is always good. The siege changes seem good, especially for rams since there is little point to using them over catapults right now. Not sure if the supply changes are helpful or not, so will wait and see on that one.

Fingers crossed the weeklies take casuals into account. I like WvW, but maxing out the skirmish track takes more time than I play the game each week, so some additional tickets would be nice.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MajorBonnet posted:

Fingers crossed the weeklies take casuals into account. I like WvW, but maxing out the skirmish track takes more time than I play the game each week, so some additional tickets would be nice.

Yeah, I can't be hosed to keep banging my head against the WvW wall every week, so I'm getting maybe like 10% of the current skirmish ticket max every week, if that. If it doesn't take too much time to get the weeklies done, I'd effectively be doubling my current skirmish ticket rate. Maybe I'll get that legendary armor set one day after all!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah the weeklies are a nice bonus, but I hope they take a deeper look at WvW rewards after getting alliances in place.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish they'd make the login rewards more where every day's reward is a little good instead of some days being really good and other days being bullshit

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
WvW has always been weirdly out of line with the rest of the game when it came to grinds, with x5 more tedious achievements and x5 less rewarding and where you could get Spvp legendary armor from 10 minutes of pvp a day or every other day over the course of a few months long seasons, WvW wants you to spend a minimum of 40 hours with maximum rewards turned on and a not-last place team to even start to get tickets.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

WvW has always been weirdly out of line with the rest of the game when it came to grinds, with x5 more tedious achievements and x5 less rewarding and where you could get Spvp legendary armor from 10 minutes of pvp a day or every other day over the course of a few months long seasons, WvW wants you to spend a minimum of 40 hours with maximum rewards turned on and a not-last place team to even start to get tickets.
Among several larger issues to address, I think the "finished wood tier last week" bonus needs to go and sub bronze should just be 2 pips instead of one. The fact that such a no-brain entry level change wasn't made long ago and seemingly is also not on the table now makes me wonder if they understand the challenges the game mode including its reward structure faces.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

go into WvW, complete the jumping puzzle, leave forever

nah I kid I liked WvW, at least a long time ago.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TeaJay posted:

Also core personal story is better than anything else that comes after it, just ruined by talking heads dialogue style and awful Zhaitan conclusion. It's actually a coherent story, at least.

I brought this up in Discord because I thought I had accidentally missed something, but the personal story is really confusing going in blind. Who the hell is Snaff? Why is everyone so upset about him? Why should I know who these characters are? Outside of the obvious effects of Zhaitan why do they want to kill dragons? If Trahernia is the glorious leader why the hell am I doing all the work wooing all these factions? Why don't I get Caladbolg instead of this chump who just happened to be in my orbit? Why do these characters that are supposedly legendary all sound like bored extras who phoned it in?

Then you cap it off with a final battle based on their awful turret controls.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I’ve played through the personal story at least 10x across all my characters, and I have to say I find this an absolutely buck wild take.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Last night I had a dream that I logged into GW2 for the first time in ages to discover they'd added a thing where you could throw a potion at someone to make them part of a costume brawl, and someone was camping the only way out from a waypoint, forcing everyone into this PvP, and killing them. I typed something like "whoever's doing this, you're a c****! UwU".

Whatever stupid poo poo they may add to this game, at least they'll never add something that other players can use to force you into a dumb PvP minigame you didn't want to play!

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

No.

They might be bland and forgettable, but at least they had decent voice acting.

e: I remember going and looking up the actor, and finding some other stuff he's in, and being surprised that he seemed pretty decent! I asked a friend about it, who's a voice actor, who said it's just something that can happen sometimes if the director's really crappy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hyperlynx posted:

asked a friend about it, who's a voice actor, who said it's just something that can happen sometimes if the director's really crappy.

Yeah, his VA is quite good in his other roles but this sort of thing happens a bunch, like with Xenoblade 2 for instance

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I was committed to trying my ever first strike mission this weekend and as I was working on progressing the Seasons of Dragon achievement I randomly checked the LFG and actually found a group in the training strike section looking for the Overlook mission for the turtle, the last piece I need. So I jumped on and was instantly reminded me of why I'd always wanted to but never checked out strikes yet. After three wipes to people who couldn't figure out when you get a number on Minister Li you need to just move to an edge and stop (or even most of the others keeping an eye out for the person with a number did something stupid), it was another three wipes to people who couldn't figure out dodging either the slash or the explosion on his phase 2. After that I gave up, I couldn't type out another coherent and calm post about what to do and left before I gave in to the impulse to try a different, more aggressive and screaming, tactic.

Granted I'm one of those who failed on the first run in the second phase or juggling the dodges of slash/explosion, but then I learned and understood like a reasonable human being.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Generally you can fake it until you make it in a none-cm real group so long as you know your own character and that red circles are usually bad and green circles are usually good, if you check a 2 minute video explaining the fight first then you are golden.

Training groups in lfg are cursed to be filled with people who will make you question how they manage to even load up gw2 by themselves, it requires the sort of commander leading it to identify the people who are incapable of learning and kicking if they mess up something basic once or twice and most people don't want to be that mean and will keep wiping to the most simple of mechanics being failed until the entire group collapses from wasting so much time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 28, 2023

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Generally you can fake it until you make it in a real group so long as you know your own character and that red circles are usually bad and green circles are usually good, if you check a 2 minute video explaining the fight first then you are golden.

Training groups in lfg are cursed to be filled with people who will make you question how they manage to even find the lfg panel by themselves.

Honestly I hadn't had any luck with that option either. Never seen a group in that section looking for the Overlook specifically either, it's either something else or a full clear unless it's got a acronym I don't recognize, although I haven't been checking to see whenever it comes up as a daily.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nessin posted:

Honestly I hadn't had any luck with that option either. Never seen a group in that section looking for the Overlook specifically either, it's either something else or a full clear unless it's got a acronym I don't recognize, although I haven't been checking to see whenever it comes up as a daily.

It's the daily today and I can already see several groups in the lfg.

Also could start with IBS easy 3 for a intro to strikes, fast gold and trickle towards ascended items, EoD strikes are slightly more involved but can just drop ascended items and none of them are "hard" outside of the CM's, Kaineng overlook is the longest of the EoD strikes and if you wipe 80% of the way in that's demoralizing.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2023

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Whatever stupid poo poo they may add to this game, at least they'll never add something that other players can use to force you into a dumb PvP minigame you didn't want to play!

requesting gif of mesmer asura doing exactly this to people

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I see this thread isn't up to date on Scarlet lore. She wasn't possessed by Mordremoth. The Eternal Alchemy taught her the secrets of the dragons feeding on the life of Tyria. Her manipulation of the races and factions served the goal of prematurely waking Mordremoth so that he'd be weak enough to defeat. Lions Arch was a necessary casualty to save the rest of the world.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Turning cool piratey Lion's Arch into lame low-rent water park is the greatest crime ever committed in GW2.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Turning cool piratey Lion's Arch into lame low-rent water park is the greatest crime ever committed in GW2.

I wonder how far back they planned to blow it up one day as the leadup to the first expansion, it both looked very unique and told a story of "oh the water is not safe to sail anymore while clogged with undead"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AmbientParadox posted:

I see this thread isn't up to date on Scarlet lore. She wasn't possessed by Mordremoth. The Eternal Alchemy taught her the secrets of the dragons feeding on the life of Tyria. Her manipulation of the races and factions served the goal of prematurely waking Mordremoth so that he'd be weak enough to defeat. Lions Arch was a necessary casualty to save the rest of the world.
I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but her journals are pretty clear that after using Omadd's machine her personality changed sharply, and she started hearing a voice in her heard that wasn't her own. Ok, not direct possession, that's why I said "more or less", but Mordremoth definitely influenced her and changed her.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Trip report: Dragon's End with 50 core ele's camping fire attunement. And one guy who insisted on playing tempest...

Result:

6:30 remaining, better than most LFG groups I've joined :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sometimes gw2 pays off

After guild missions today there was rotbeards boat.

So of course you stick around waiting for Rotbeard.
Some guy was whinging and complaining, after about 10 minutes he wishes us all a farewell.

As he character leaves the map, the chest closes LOL. I think he got about 30 pms loling at him as soon as rotbeard was killed.

And 6:30 is pretty good. There are a few semi organised commanders that will do the 2-7min left on the regular. If you can get into the map :/

But thats a lot of dedicated eles