Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah and anyway viking wasn't an ethnicity, it was a job.

I always switch out "viking" for "accountant" in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groda posted:

I always switch out "viking" for "accountant" in my head.

I'm currently rotating a viking cum accountant in my mind.

Hmm-mm.

Rotate that viking cum accountant real good. And they can't do anything about it!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I guess the vikings were before the concepts of international law and war crimes existed so they get off on a technicality. Just a series of perfectly legal atrocities, nothing to see here

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you have anything to back this up? Most of what the vikings did was just large-scale regular crimes, like organized robberies.

Well, one of the most sustainable ventures they came up with was raiding Ireland for slaves, some for domestic duties as thralls in Scandinavia, but mostly for sale to the Caliphate - usually through middlemen on the Volga/Dnepr.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Angepain posted:

I guess the vikings were before the concepts of international law and war crimes existed so they get off on a technicality. Just a series of perfectly legal atrocities, nothing to see here

Good news, in case of human rights violations, crimes against humanity etc. it's often accepted that international law can be applied retrospectively! So we can finally put those Viking fuckers behind bars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Vikings went to Great Britain and 'stole' women from the local villages by bathing regularly, unlike the local men.

Is this a war crime?

It’s worth pointing out that we know this because some guy wrote it down as an explanation for why the English just had to murder a bunch of Danes.

quote:

The Danes, thanks to their habit to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many such frivolous devices. In this manner, they laid siege to the virtue of the married women, and persuaded the daughters even of the nobles to be their concubines.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angepain posted:

Killing monks and priests to get their loot was objectively good.
Raping and enslaving was objectively bad.

But neither were done in a war.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Killing monks and priests to get their loot was objectively good.
Raping and enslaving was objectively bad.

You could say that Vikings were a land of contrasts.

It is always funny how everyone gets exclusively focused on the local scuffles in England, while Viking literally pillaged half the Europe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just started listening to the new Hardcore History, which is a sequel to the past show Thor's Angels. This one is about Vikings. Near the start is discussion about Christian Europe putting pressure on the pagan lands to convert-- rather violent pressure, like the monk that would go and chop down the sacred trees that held up the universe. And plenty of killing. poo poo like that.

What I'm getting at here is that Vikings raids were in fact pre-emptive, defensive maneuvers against the barbaric christians so any atrocities don't count.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
And then the raids mostly stopped after the Norse did convert.

(And got more organized into larger-scale kingdoms, and spent their energy more often on regular wars or civil/succession wars instead.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Weren’t most Vikings farmers? I thought the raiding was more of a side quest but farming isn’t as fun to talk about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowy posted:

Weren’t most Vikings farmers? I thought the raiding was more of a side quest but farming isn’t as fun to talk about.

No. Farmers farmed, vikings viked. The people as a whole weren't called vikings.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No. Farmers farmed, vikings viked. The people as a whole weren't called vikings.

They all wore horned helmets though?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Issaries posted:

They all wore horned helmets though?

Well obviously, as they did not have horns of their own.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The horns were their drinking vessels and thats why there were two of them, for each hand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We’ve cracked the case.

They were beer helmets.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Snowy posted:

Mostly, just about everyone farmed part of the time, everyone fished and/or hunted part of the time, and some people who had the means and also felt like taking risks also went raiding part of the time. The ones who survived and profited from the raids became rich fancy boys. A few transitioned to being full-time raiders but these would be the exception.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s worth pointing out that we know this because some guy wrote it down as an explanation for why the English just had to murder a bunch of Danes.

That quote is from a text from the 13th century. It's someone writing hundreds of years after the fact just making up some amusing bullshit. The idea that medieval Europeans didn't bathe or groom themelves is mostly complete nonsense.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

That's true about Europeans, but English aren't Europeans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The English traditionally didn't need to bathe, they'd get plenty of time in the water from descending into the depths to visit their R'lyeh brethren, not to mention the regular dips needed to keep their gills from drying up.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Saladman posted:

I was wondering why he had like, Bulgaria and Croatia as "food too good to be white". I’ve been there and still have no clue what Croatian or ex-Yugoslav cuisine in general is like, nor Bulgaria. I don’t remember it being very Turkish inspired. I remember it as just like… completely generic "European food", like here’s a steak, or a fish, and here some standard vegetables as a side. Here is a salad with lettuce and some other stuff sprinkled in it. Etc. Maybe his grandma has like one dish that’s specific. If Switzerland didn’t have fondue and raclette it would be the same cuisine as I’ve had in the Balkans, besides Greece and Turkey.

Cuisine varies highly within Croatia between the different regions, let alone between different exYu states. A lot of my family from the interior are pure meat and potatos people and put ketchup on their pizza, which is very different from the coast where they eat a lot of fish. Also parts of Croatia were never taken by the ottomans so you’re going to see a lot less Turkish influence there than other Balkan places (with the exception of Slovenia).

Croatian food is probably my least favourite in the region, but there’s no accounting for taste so I’m glad that guy thinks it’s better than French.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are two principal races of the Britons, the Caledonians and the Maeatae, and the names of the others have been merged in these two. The Maeatae live next to the cross-wall which cuts the island in half, and the Caledonians are beyond them. Both tribes inhabit wild and waterless mountains and desolate and swampy plains, and possess neither walls, cities, nor tilled fields, but live on their flocks, wild game, and certain fruits; for they do not touch the fish which are there found in immense and inexhaustible quantities. They dwell in tents, naked and unshod, possess their women in common, and in common rear all the offspring. Their form of rule is democratic for the most part, and they are very fond of plundering; consequently they choose their boldest men as rulers. They go into battle in chariots, and have small, swift horses; there are also foot-soldiers, very swift in running and very firm in standing their ground. For arms they have a shield and a short spear, with a bronze apple attached to the end of the spear-shaft, so that when it is shaken it may clash and terrify the enemy; and they also have daggers. They can endure hunger and cold and any kind of hardship; for they plunge into the swamps and exist there for many days with only their heads above water, and in the forests they support themselves upon bark and roots, and for all emergencies they prepare a certain kind of food, the eating of a small portion of which, the size of a bean, prevents them from feeling either hunger or thirst.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These creatures are the only sentient race in the sector and they're made out of Maeat.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Randarkman posted:

That quote is from a text from the 13th century. It's someone writing hundreds of years after the fact just making up some amusing bullshit. The idea that medieval Europeans didn't bathe or groom themelves is mostly complete nonsense.

This is kind of true. They bathed only around once a month, maybe once a week if they were fancy. Also, their general level of hygiene was really low. Their straw flooring was hardly ever changed out, they emptied their chamber pots in the public spaces, their animals roamed throughout the public spaces.

It was a generally gross time.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I just started listening to the new Hardcore History, which is a sequel to the past show Thor's Angels. This one is about Vikings. Near the start is discussion about Christian Europe putting pressure on the pagan lands to convert-- rather violent pressure, like the monk that would go and chop down the sacred trees that held up the universe. And plenty of killing. poo poo like that.

What I'm getting at here is that Vikings raids were in fact pre-emptive, defensive maneuvers against the barbaric christians so any atrocities don't count.

In that case it backfired pretty badly, since Scandinavia mostly got converted by Vikings. Sure, there were some missionaries puttering around converting the odd Scandinavian, but large scale conversation only happened once Viking kings saw the benefits an organized religion had on how many people you could rule.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol

love a good 30 years war joke

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Holsten and Slesvig are German crimes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've said it before and I say it again: Make Slesvig-Holsten Danish again.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
If you love Schlesvig-Holstein so much why don't you join Germany?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good ball by Dixon posted:

If you love Schlesvig-Holstein so much why don't you join Germany?

We offered to join when Bismarck was doing his thing, but he figured we'd be too much trouble.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The term "Viking" meant the same as "pirate." That means the NFL has three teams named after synonyms for "pirate": the Buccaneers, the Raiders, and the Vikings.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

NDP posted:

The term "Viking" meant the same as "pirate." That means the NFL has three teams named after synonyms for "pirate": the Buccaneers, the Raiders, and the Vikings.

Concept: a NFL divisional realignment, but it's based on what you're named after.

The Ungulate Division this year would have have a winner at 5–12, incidentally.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

I was wondering why he had like, Bulgaria and Croatia as "food too good to be white". I’ve been there and still have no clue what Croatian or ex-Yugoslav cuisine in general is like, nor Bulgaria. I don’t remember it being very Turkish inspired. I remember it as just like… completely generic "European food", like here’s a steak, or a fish, and here some standard vegetables as a side. Here is a salad with lettuce and some other stuff sprinkled in it. Etc. Maybe his grandma has like one dish that’s specific. If Switzerland didn’t have fondue and raclette it would be the same cuisine as I’ve had in the Balkans, besides Greece and Turkey.

I ate at a Bulgarian restaurant once and it was def in the same genre as Greco-Turkish-Levantine.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

Concept: a NFL divisional realignment, but it's based on what you're named after.

Bison are ungulates?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

quote:

A Proposal for Reorganization of Divisions within the NFL

I originally posted this on r/nfl, but despite its positive reception, it got removed by the mods. However, I can’t help but feel an obligation, nay, a duty to deliver the hot offseason shitpost content that you all demand and deserve, so without a better option, I’m taking the extreme step to deliver it straight to the team subreddits. Without further ado:

Looking at the current divisional organization within the NFL, it is clear to see there is an over-reliance on arbitrary attributes like geographical location and historical rivalries. I’d like to propose an objectively superior grouping method: **Team Nicknames**. After years of tinkering and countless failed tries, I’ve finally found a workable combination.

#Conference 1: Animals

##Division 1A: Big Cats

**Carolina Panthers**

**Cincinnati Bengals**

**Detroit Lions**

**Jacksonville Jaguars**

Notes: This is the division concept that kicked of this project and the only one that has never changed in my many attempts.

##Division 1B: Grazing Mammals

**Buffalo Bills**

**Denver Broncos**

**Indianapolis Colts**

**Los Angeles Rams**

Notes: While the Bills are technically named after Buffalo Bill Cody, they’ve got a picture of a buffalo right on their helmet. That is good enough for me.

I originally called this hoofed mammals, but was informed that dolphins technically have hooves.

##Division 1C: Birds of Prey

**Atlanta Falcons**

**Baltimore Ravens**

**Philadelphia Eagles**

**Seattle Seahawks**

Notes: Five different teams with bird names posed a bit of a challenge, but I think I found a clean solution for the fifth in division 1D.

##Division 1D: Meat-Eating, Non-Humanoid, Non-Feline Mammals and Non-Meat Eating Birds

**Arizona Cardinals**

**Chicago Bears**

**Cleveland Browns**

**Miami Dolphins**

Notes: I’m confident that once this proposal gets adopted, the state of Arizona gladly have the Phoenix Coyotes swap team names with the Cardinals, tidying up this division nicely.

I chose to use the Cleveland Browns mascot, the Bullmastiff, to sort them. If people object to this, as it is not technically their nickname, it can be easily resolved by adding “and Bland Colors” to both the conference and division names.

#Conference 2: Not Animals

##Division 2A: Iconic Figures of the American West

**Dallas Cowboys**

**Kansas City Chiefs**

**San Francisco 49ers**

**Washington Redskins**

##Division 2B: Groups Who Are Very Proud of Their Regional Heritage or Profession

**Green Bay Packers**

**Houston Texans**

**New England Patriots**

**Pittsburgh Steelers**

##Division 2C: Non-Revolutionary Threats to the British Navy (Current or Historical)

**Las Vegas Raiders**

**Minnesota Vikings**

**New York Jets**

**Tampa Bay Buccaneers**

Notes: Three of these are obvious. It took a little work to swizzle in a forth (while excluding the Patriots) without making the division name too cumbersome.

##Division 2D: Sky-Dwelling Forces of Mystical Power

**Los Angeles Chargers**

**New Orleans Saints**

**New York Giants**

**Tennessee Titans**

Notes: There are those that will argue that Giants don’t live in the sky. Those people need to go reread Jack and the Beanstalk.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Titans didn't dwell in the sky, the sky was their father.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021
Washington's NFL franchise is now called "the Commanders." Where would they be classified now?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

NDP posted:

People like the idea of taking what they want and living as they please. Everyone is trapped in various systems and just want to live.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People like the idea of taking what they want and living as they please. Everyone is trapped in various systems and just want to live.

H. L. Mencken posted:

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Issaries posted:

That's true about Europeans, but English aren't Europeans.

what's European about a bunch of Nordics, Italians, Germans and French?