Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Looks like Luka left the game with a bad sprained ankle. Mavs season might be over if he misses 4-6 weeks

Outside of the top three teams the West is a chaotic trainwreck so far. Mavs could still sneak in even if Luka gets hurt, though obviously it would be a huge blow for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Fair enough. Thankfully Luka injury means we'll probably get to see Morant and Zion start together

That would be badass

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

My All Star Reserve picks (West):

- AD
- Sabonis
- Markkanen
- Lillard
- Morant/JJJ (JJJ goes here if Morant starts)
- SGA
- PG3

Biggest snubs: JJJ (if Doncic is healthy), DeAaron Fox, Anthony Edwards, Aaron Gordon, Kawhi, Booker

My All Star Reserve picks (East):

- Embiid
- Harden
- Butler
- Halliburton
- Trae
- Randle
- Brown

Biggest snubs: Holiday, Garland, Porzingis, DeRozan, Claxton, Brunson, Wagner, Siakam

Most likely actual snubs from my lists: Lillard, JJJ, PG3, Halliburton

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 27, 2023

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Outside of the top three teams the West is a chaotic trainwreck so far. Mavs could still sneak in even if Luka gets hurt, though obviously it would be a huge blow for them.

The other reason I think it would be over for the Mavs is that Christian Wood is out, so basically their only two offensive options would be gone for the next month. That's a formula for a historic losing streak and they are barely above .500 as it is. Plus Ingram, AD, Curry, CP3, and Cameron Johnson have all come back from injury at the exact wrong time for Dallas

I guess I forgot about Dinwiddie. He has 20 points at half atm

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 27, 2023

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Ayton is 6-18 in this game. This guy is by far the most overrated player in the NBA. I have no idea why people rate him so highly

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

no love for beautiful bam adebayo?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Embiid was third in both player and media voting. Jokic was first in both (seems to have gotten the maximum player votes possible along with Giannis)

https://pr.nba.com/voting-results-2023-nba-all-star-game-starters/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat the drop in fan vote between Embiid and Jimmy is precipitous

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

The other reason I think it would be over for the Mavs is that Christian Wood is out, so basically their only two offensive options would be gone for the next month. That's a formula for a historic losing streak and they are barely above .500 as it is. Plus Ingram, AD, Curry, CP3, and Cameron Johnson have all come back from injury at the exact wrong time for Dallas

I guess I forgot about Dinwiddie. He has 20 points at half atm

Oh yeah that would be very bad

Although somehow it didn't save the Suns from another embarrassing meltdown

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I didn't know where else to post this sports/politics intersection thing so it's going here

I was listening to Foxworth Friday and they brought up a pretty regular topic (seeing as how Foxworth has been on the board of both the NFL and NBA unions) and had the standard discussion (all players unions are losing power, all favor the interests of highly drafted rookies and superstars over middle-class vets [who typically make up the majority of the players], etc)'

then they started talking about how fans have no labor solidarity with player unions - which is true and lamentable - and said fans just don't like to see people younger than them who make more than them. also to a large extent true, I believe

but it made me think - shouldn't that work both ways? if the players want fans to sympathize with and support their labor struggles, shouldn't Chris Paul or Von Miller be using their media platform to support Amazon workers? I didn't hear poo poo from the NBPA during the railroad negotiations. wouldn't that go a long way to reducing the animosity between workers of vastly different income groups by showing it's all one fight?

cause at the moment I understand the person making 11.15/hr not seeing how their class interests intersect with Trae Young's. but I bet that would change if Luka or Travis Kelce were occasionally out on picket lines in Dallas and KC, or even just sending pizzas and tweets. it'd be a huge PR win for both pro athletes and labor struggles

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
that’s something I’ve thought a lot about. the sad part is that the players union (and coaches and refs) don’t seem to see themselves as unions in terms of being part of the labor movement, but as very narrowly looking out for the interests of those groups.

it would take real intentional eduction of their members by those unions to change this, spurred on by the players themselves.

so if we want to change this I guess one of us needs to become a pro athlete lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
if I move from being an organizer to doing more logistical/bureaucratic work for a union, someday maybe I’ll work for the NBPA. maybe……

one thought I’ve had is what if the pro athlete unions all merged into one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Obama had to come in and talk down somr bad thoughts during BLM, I imagine theres a pretty concerted effort at leadership level to ensure that the players unions operate more as apolitical guilds than anything potentially more socially engaged

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

one thought I’ve had is what if the pro athlete unions all merged into one

I think in terms of the CBAs this would be a functional decertification since it removes the cartel-like status of the organization(s)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

I think in terms of the CBAs this would be a functional decertification since it removes the cartel-like status of the organization(s)

can you elaborate on that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

can you elaborate on that?

part of the requirements for joining and participating in players' unions is that you have to be an employee of one of the teams in the league (which means NBPA members who are no longer playing can't vote on new CBAs). I’m not familiar with the CBAs of every major league but it seems that if the NFLPA wanted to merge with the NBPA and/or MLBPA they'd have to not only amend their charter but also either renegotiate their CBAs or decertify their unions and form a trade organization, which would void their current CBAs as well as open up every professional sports team to a hilarious level of liability (if you were following the 2020 NFL CBA negotiations you might remember that early on the union floated the potential tactic of decertifying the union and forming a trade organization for the purpose of allowing players as a class to bring labor suits against both the individual clubs and the NFL as a whole for operating as an illegal cartel)

e: although there'd be >75 billionaire and centimillionaire owners involved by that point so I’m sure they'd just lean on the NLRB to say it was all illegal from the jump

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

part of the requirements for joining and participating in players' unions is that you have to be an employee of one of the teams in the league (which means NBPA members who are no longer playing can't vote on new CBAs). I’m not familiar with the CBAs of every major league but it seems that if the NFLPA wanted to merge with the NBPA and/or MLBPA they'd have to not only amend their charter but also either renegotiate their CBAs or decertify their unions and form a trade organization, which would void their current CBAs as well as open up every professional sports team to a hilarious level of liability (if you were following the 2020 NFL CBA negotiations you might remember that early on the union floated the potential tactic of decertifying the union and forming a trade organization for the purpose of allowing players as a class to bring labor suits against both the individual clubs and the NFL as a whole for operating as an illegal cartel)

e: although there'd be >75 billionaire and centimillionaire owners involved by that point so I’m sure they'd just lean on the NLRB to say it was all illegal from the jump

maybe "merger" is the wrong idea, but maybe a labor affiliation like AFL-CIO. i don't think union mergers force anyone to renegotiate CBAs though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are a trade union, yes. Which have not always had a particularly left wing history in the usa.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

they are a trade union, yes. Which have not always had a particularly left wing history in the usa.

thank u for explaining this to me, a union organizer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

your welcome.

or maybe you were being sarcastic

edit

I think you are being sarcastic

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 27, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was responding to indigo anyway

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

that’s something I’ve thought a lot about. the sad part is that the players union (and coaches and refs) don’t seem to see themselves as unions in terms of being part of the labor movement, but as very narrowly looking out for the interests of those groups.

it would take real intentional eduction of their members by those unions to change this, spurred on by the players themselves.

so if we want to change this I guess one of us needs to become a pro athlete lol

Yeah, gonna need to get the next KAJ in as President rather than the next Chris Paul or Andre Iguodala to have any shot at that sort of change.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

I was responding to indigo anyway

this isn't ok

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, gonna need to get the next KAJ in as President rather than the next Chris Paul or Andre Iguodala to have any shot at that sort of change.

i had such high hopes for Kyrie and Jaylen Brown

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I thought they'd be good too. I think I mentioned it before but it's depressing that when push came to shove Kyrie was willing to miss checks over the vaccine and antisemitism, but not BLM. in the bubble. on a Durant-less 7 seed

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

I thought they'd be good too. I think I mentioned it before but it's depressing that when push came to shove Kyrie was willing to miss checks over the vaccine and antisemitism, but not BLM. in the bubble. on a Durant-less 7 seed

Kyrie did sit out the bubble

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Kyrie did sit out the bubble

wow I have fully invented that memory then. that's an admirable quality, it's just a shame the other uses he's put it to

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kyrie is idiot style woke not class conscious style woke

Probably flat out one of the dumbest guys in the league, like Kanter-tier dumb (I'm aware Kanter is not in the league now but he jumps to mind as an obvious idiot)

It's really too bad because he's universally respected by other players and could do a ton of good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kanter is the kind of woke where you just base your entire worldview around what the TV news says

Kyrie is the kind of woke where you use random Youtube videos instead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I know a couple guys who got like Kyrie in high school cause we had Larouchites and Black Hebrew Israelites setting up tables/speakers within a couple blocks of our school 2-3x a week

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

indigi posted:

wow I have fully invented that memory then. that's an admirable quality, it's just a shame the other uses he's put it to

at the time he was even the biggest voices saying there shouldn't be a bubble.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 27, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

at the time he was even the biggest voices saying there shouldn't be a bubble.

oh I remember that I just also wrongly remember him playing in it for some reason

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/msinger/status/1619057504511721472?s=20&t=AmlpfJltgnQ0JvakONMBPQ

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They've always had a strong bond
https://twitter.com/MrUram/status/1204615049568014337?s=19

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

smoke pouring out of euphronius' ears, sparks and poo poo shooting out of his neck

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

still cackling at euph wanting to trade embiid

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Chronicles posted:

no love for beautiful bam adebayo?

Apologies to Bam. I forgot him in my list of snubs

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Shannon Sharpe has cursed the Grizz to lose 5 in a row. People really underestimate Steven Adams and how much he does for the offense by setting screens. Also something reminded me a couple days ago that Anthony Edwards is still only 20 and that's so crazy

If Toronto wins this road game against GSW after their road win against Sac I think they'll officially be the strangest team in the NBA

The other thing that scares me is the Bucks scoring as Middleton has had two straight solid outings. Fully healthy, you put a gun to my head and I'd say they're probably still the team to beat

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 28, 2023

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

jfc https://twitter.com/cavs/status/1619126438673940480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

still cackling at euph wanting to trade embiid

please stop gaslighting 🙏