Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I think it's a move that doesn't look good until a certain depth. Basically, something that when the computer calculates at a low depth wasn't on its list, but it realizes is good when it evaluates after the move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

But how can it tell the difference between simply making the best move, and making one that is "surprisingly good" in some way?

By making a move that doesn’t show up as best until the computer searches at a higher depth than usual. That is, a move that doesn’t look like the best one until you figure some other things out down the line.

…in practice chess.com doesn’t seem to have a published official definition and occasionally gives brilliant marks to forced moves so people have no real idea.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

If you are referring to chess.com, they published this info about how they rate a move, the definition of Brilliant is toward the bottom of the article:

https://support.chess.com/article/2965-how-are-moves-classified-what-is-a-blunder-or-brilliant-and-etc

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It’s the exact opposite of a terrible blunder.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a while back someone linked a training tool that was like puzzles except specifically for avoiding blunders. anyone remember what that was?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

jesus WEP posted:

a while back someone linked a training tool that was like puzzles except specifically for avoiding blunders. anyone remember what that was?

Aimchess has a Blunder Preventer thing that actually draws on positions with your own games.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

butros posted:

Aimchess has a Blunder Preventer thing that actually draws on positions with your own games.
yes that’s the one! thanks friend :tipshat:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apsyrtes posted:

If you are referring to chess.com, they published this info about how they rate a move, the definition of Brilliant is toward the bottom of the article:

https://support.chess.com/article/2965-how-are-moves-classified-what-is-a-blunder-or-brilliant-and-etc

quote:

Brilliant (!!) moves and Great Moves are always the best or nearly best move in the position, but are also special in some way. We replaced the old Brilliant algorithm with a simpler definition: a Brilliant move is when you find a good piece sacrifice. There are some other conditions, like you should not be in a bad position after a Brilliant move and you should not be completely winning even if you had not found the move. Also, we are more generous in defining a piece sacrifice for newer players, compared with those who are higher rated.

INnnnnteresting. So basically sacrifices, you'll never get a brilliant non-sac move on chess.com; and you're actually less brilliant at higher levels of play than at lower levels.

Thanks!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it possible to challenge a friend to a game of Duck Chess with 7-day time controls?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I bought Clubhouse games to play air hockey with my kids over Thanksgiving break at my in-laws. I was able to beat "Impossible" difficulty on Mancala, Backgammon, Gomoku, Hex, etc. But I couldn't beat medium on chess, and this made me angry. Month or so later, here I am.

Great news, everybody!

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1619555410851266562

(Having played a lot of bots since Thanksgiving, I'd rate the "Impossible" chess AI on Clubhouse as about a 1400 bot on Chess.com.)

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Huxley posted:

(Having played a lot of bots since Thanksgiving, I'd rate the "Impossible" chess AI on Clubhouse as about a 1400 bot on Chess.com.)

Nice progress, that rules!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

former glory posted:

Nice progress, that rules!

Ooh, nice one.

1. Rb1 and the queen is trapped? (...Qa4 2. Rb4)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

fisting by many posted:

Ooh, nice one.

You have to go further because 2. Rb4 blocks white queen's line of sight to a5. So

1. Rb1 Qa4
2. Rb4 Qa5
3. Rb8, offering queen for a back rank mate!
(if Queen does anything: 4. Re8+ Rxe8 5. Rxe8#)
otherwise
3... Rxb8
4. Qxa5

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fisting by many posted:

Ooh, nice one.

from a distance i thought ...Qa5 seemed like it side steps, but 3. Rb8 and black is losing the queen due to bank rank issues

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

You have to go further because 2. Rb4 blocks white queen's line of sight to a5. So

1. Rb1 Qa4
2. Rb4 Qa5
otherwise
3... Rxb8
4. Qxa5

:doh: I had a feeling the back rank mate threat was important, but missed that our rook blocked our queen.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Playing a ton of hanging piece/fork/discovered attack puzzles on Lichess has been a big help with busting open positions in my games. I kinda wish though that the opening puzzles were more consistent in taking place in the early/middle game; some are so towards the end it's more of an endgame puzzle with little to no material left on the board.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Yeah, ideally they'd get you puzzles from thematic positions but given that the puzzles are harvested by algorithm they can't all be winners.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

1. Rb1 Qa4
2. Rb4 Qa5
otherwise
3... Rxb8
4. Qxa5

Yep, good breakdown. I liked how this one used a back rank mate threat in a far less obvious way than most puzzles at this level.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beat my opponent into a pulp today, but starting on move 14 he decided to simply run out his clock instead of resigning. The time control was 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move.

[WhiteElo "1729"]
[BlackElo "2101"]
[ECO "D01"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Bg5 Nbd7 4.f3 c5 5.e4 dxe4 6.d5 e3 7.Bxe3 g6 8.Qd2 Bg7 9.O-O-O O-O 10.g4 Qa5 {I felt like I had played the opening quite poorly, and needed to attack quickly.} 11.h4 b5 12.Kb1 b4 13.Nce2 Nb6 14.Nf4 Bb7 {Here my opponent started simply letting his clock run out.} 15.g5 Nfxd5 16.h5 Bxb2 17.Nxd5 Bxd5 18.c4 bxc3 {White loses on time.} 0-1

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

In online games, that has to be the most vile and base retaliation that people can inflict, but I didn’t think it ever really happened in person. That must have been enraging. Did he just sit there? He got a lot worse with every move after the slowdown, so I don’t think he was strategizing the whole time.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

He started getting up on his own move and writing notes to himself on his sheet, both of which are generally prohibited.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I eventually dragged out a win, and it's obvious when you know it's a mate in one, but I missed it.

My brain knew that the pawn advancing was a discovered check, and that promoting to a queen would be a check, but it did not combine these ideas to realize it was a double check, and thus checkmate.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
https://twitter.com/egregirls/status/1623968376593711108

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Are there any guides or puzzle sets that cover the topic of perpetual checks? Specifically, on heuristics to make them easier to see or calculate? When going on the attack there are "checkmating patterns" that can be recognized, but when it comes to nontrivial possible perpetuals I usually end up just giving up and not caring any more if it's a draw.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

^^ Not that I've seen in my travels aside from the occasional defensive puzzle.

Edit: I checked lichess and chesscom and it looks like it's a labelled category in the latter, and I'm not very good at them! :negative: You should be able to select it as your focus if you choose custom puzzles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZyxZzWjd9M (Magnus surprises a TO chess club after winning the tourney last week)

Pretty cool of the guy to just stop in for Chess Pub in Toronto like that!

former glory fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 14, 2023

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

former glory posted:

(Magnus surprises a TO chess club after winning the tourney last week)

Pretty cool of the guy to just stop in for Chess Pub in Toronto like that!

He's been hanging out and partying and streaming with the Brah's all week. He signed to their Pro Chess League team (which starts today?), so I guess they're buds.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://mobile.twitter.com/JenShahade/status/1625873098581983232?t=SddwbB1jY1KtQFbTt938Aw&s=19 GM Alejandro Ramirez is apparently under investigation for multiple acts of sexual misconduct including with minors and assaulting Jenn Shahade. He's currently the head coach for the Saint Louis university chess team. Based on what I've seen on Twitter a lot of people were aware of rumors around him so it seems like it was a bit of an open secret which makes it hard to see how he was allowed to continue as a coach.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

neaden posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenShahade/status/1625873098581983232?t=SddwbB1jY1KtQFbTt938Aw&s=19 GM Alejandro Ramirez is apparently under investigation for multiple acts of sexual misconduct including with minors and assaulting Jenn Shahade. He's currently the head coach for the Saint Louis university chess team. Based on what I've seen on Twitter a lot of people were aware of rumors around him so it seems like it was a bit of an open secret which makes it hard to see how he was allowed to continue as a coach.

same way it happens in all sorts of areas/groups. No one does anything about it, just warns people quietly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://lichess.org/training/EnQun

I rather enjoyed this lichess puzzle. For me, a bit off the beaten path because the main problem posed is identifying the threat from the opponent and finding the proper defensive resource to defend it and make off with your stolen piece.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 17, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

neaden posted:

it seems like it was a bit of an open secret which makes it hard to see how he was allowed to continue as a coach.

i have extremely bad news about the way these things tend to be handled

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah people were flagging up about Harvey Weinstein at the turn of the millennium. With libel how it is, it's easy for an open secret to stay that way and not actually become public knowledge or have any real consequences

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I rather enjoyed this lichess puzzle. For me, a bit off the beaten path because the main problem posed is identifying the threat from the opponent and finding the proper defensive resource to defend it and make off with your stolen piece.

Looking at it several times now and I can’t come up with a reason not to take the bishop. I thought maybe QxR followed by rook checks could be a response, but there’s not enough ammo and he’d just open with that anyway. This is a weird one.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Once you take the bishop, Rf4 sets up a nearly unavailable mate on the h file because the Queen is too far away to help defend. The only move that saves the game is pretty unintuitive.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
My lichess must be broken because it's saying the only correct move is to take the Bishop (playing via the Android app). Idk

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

multistability posted:

My lichess must be broken because it's saying the only correct move is to take the Bishop (playing via the Android app). Idk

Yes, taking it is the right move, and then, finding the way to Not Get hosed for doing it is the rest of the puzzle.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Oh, whoops, I misinterpreted the discussion ITT then. Actually found the correct solution after a bit of lateral thinking, very interesting puzzle

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Is it something with moving the f pawn?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the op provided a link and you can play the puzzle out even without a lichess account :) also yes

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It’s the best kind of puzzle answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

(me, after giving up and seeing the solution) :tviv: