Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

either Blade or Goodfellas is the best movie of the ‘90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

they have started turning on Blade now because the goal of MCU extremism is to eliminate all non-MCU content

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

that's not what the marvel method is

It's the marvel method

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

indigi is right the marvel method is something different (and cool)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

indigi is right

never

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the marvel method is when you marvel at the great movie you just wrote

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

lmao

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the miles morales spider-man game had a podcaster giving mental and physical wellness tips every half hour

probably justified since gamers probably don't know after all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

indigi is right the marvel method is something different (and cool)

Stan Lee thought it was cool cause it allowed him to take writer and co-creator credit for Kirby Ditko etc's genius

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

the crazy thing about Simpsons still going is that it's not any cheaper to make, the main VAs are making beaucoup dollores per episode even if their animation costs plateaued after the shift to HD (and I’m sure they haven't). their viewership is less than 1/6 what it was 20 years ago so they can't be killing it in advertising

I don't understand it. Fox can keep milking the IP in syndication/streaming/merchandise/licensing for years with the 750 episodes they have, why produce more

That's not unique to any one television show. The advertisement and entertainment industries have gone through several dramatic changes in the last ten years, and even more in the last thirty years.

Advertisers understand that any given TV show (network or streaming) reaches fewer people now, but that also has the positive of typically reaching a more specific demographic. This means they can more easily target. There are examples of TV shows with terrible ratings that still had good runs, like The Good Wife (which advertisers relied on for targeting wealthy people), and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (with literal 0.0 shares of 18-34 year old males, somehow I was the only dude watching that show?).

Traditional TV networks first began shedding viewers to cable, then in turn cable and network TV have shed viewers to DVDs, video games, social media, streaming, and the internet at large in the last few decades. Thus the standards to qualify as a success for all of these things has fluctuated a lot.

You said yourself that the Fox Network (and now Disney as the owner of the IP) have multiple ways of profiting from the show. But as to why they produce more, it's pretty simple. The market continually demands new content, including that of The Simpsons. The same can be said of countless other animated (and some live action) examples. Scooby Doo has more or less been on the air since its premiere in 1969 with new content (with some breaks). Shin Chan has gone without break since 1992. Sazae-san has gone without break since 1969. Family Guy, South Park, American Dad, etc all have similarly long runs. If anything, it's surprising King of the Hill didn't stay on perpetually (though it's probably being renewed), and I bet if the timeline was slightly different for it, it'd have a 20+ season run.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Jan 27, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

indigi posted:

Stan Lee thought it was cool cause it allowed him to take writer and co-creator credit for Kirby Ditko etc's genius

also ment that every character who didn't talk like Shakespeare or Dracula talked what Stan Lee thought kids thought was cool.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

i'm hardly the first to notice it, but succession's overarching plot is basically the same thing over and over: one or more of the kids scheme to take over the company, logan seems like he's hosed, but at the last second he pulls a legalistic trick to kick their rear end and defuse their takeover. logan gets big mad at whoever tried to dethrone him but ultimately nobody faces any consequences

the whole thing with the company's cruise lines being mired in scandal definitely suffered from the TV writing process, because in season 1 the exact details of whatever horrible crimes their cruise lines did weren't relevant, since the whole thing was kind of a farcical scenario for tom to get unwittingly trapped in. then in later seasons it became this huge existential threat to the company with congressional hearings and everything, but they never bothered to flesh out exactly what the crimes were so it's too abstract to have any stakes

the main appeal of succession seems to be the costuming, which to be fair is very good

As others have said, the show has provided extensive detail as to why the cruise line controversy was so bad. As for the show repeating the same thing over and over, with no consequence or development, that's the point. Arrested Development explored how insulated the locally rich are from reality. Succession goes a step further and shows that billionaires are not just insulted, but disconnected from real life completely. Nothing has any consequence for them, and nothing has any meaning for them. They pursue control of their dad's company because wealth has neutered their imagination and personhood. The only possible exception is Connor, who at least uses his wealth for more interesting stuff than chasing after a company, and the love of a dad who will never give a poo poo. In Arrested Development, you'd see mild stakes for the characters like minimum security prison, or GOB, Maeby, and Tobias actually being sort of poor at different times. In Succession, there simply are no stakes, but it's funny and entertaining.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
marvel method man

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/10/sped-up-songs-spotify-youtube-tiktok

I read an article about TikTok making sped-up music trendy. It led me to rediscovering Nelly Furtado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXpyME-nsc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the main reason i don't watch succession is because lastgirl used to post a bunch of gifs from it here and I usually have a rule about not watching something after it's already become memes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

I do wanna know how non threatening they make the new blade. He's gonna be very respectful

"Y'all, don't try to ice skate uphill! That ain't it, chief. Let me give you some pro strat tips..."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

i've been watching some youtuber play that Firaxis marvel game, and the thing i hate most about it, and the marvel monoculture it represents, is the fundamentally weird and almost inexplicable hostility to any kind of individuality in its characters. everyone speaks with the voice of a pretentious liberal college grad. even characters that you'd expect to behave and speak differently are 'levelled' and subsumed under the formless mass of late-capitalist liberal cosmopolitan subjectivity. if you look at midnight suns, there's actually a lot room for interesting and unique characters: your PC is a 300 y/o witch who used to part of the Salem Coven, Blade is a centuries old half-vampire etc and there's this ghost lady who was burned in the Salem witch trials or something. but they all understand and relate to the world and people around them in the exact same manner as everyone else. they didn't need to go full fish-out-of-water comedy, but the least these writers could do is understand that social, historical and material conditions greatly influence a person acts and thinks. you don't need to go full hegel but I cant help but think that the marvel monoculture fosters a intellectual laziness that might have far-reaching consequences.

Yeah, that screenshot is pretty bizarre and that's a good analysis.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Blade: There are worse things out tonight than vampires.

Dr. Karen Jenson: Like what?

Blade: Like mediocre white men.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Search Party isn't as well made on a technical level as the Danny McBride HBO shows, but the characters all have that same American ethos of "As long as I felt like my heart was in the right place, I don't need to be forgiven because I didn't actually do anything wrong" and drat does it make for good comedy

Great show. I like the bizarre reinventions of itself every season, while staying to the central theme.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

indigi posted:

and he was right, it was cool!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the main reason i don't watch succession is because lastgirl used to post a bunch of gifs from it here and I usually have a rule about not watching something after it's already become memes

Same reason I won’t play dark souls.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

it's war! gently caress off

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

Great show. I like the bizarre reinventions of itself every season, while staying to the central theme.

Yeah I was trying to describe it what makes it different from other sitcoms and I think the main thing is that there is no "reset button". They never get back to any kind of normal, the consequences of what they do follow them for the entirety of the show. In the same way that It's Always Sunny took Seinfeld a step further, I feel like Search Party takes It's Always Sunny a step further.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It is good.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the crayon shin chan guy died cause he slipped and fell off a cliff. be careful mountaineering out there everyone

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah I was trying to describe it what makes it different from other sitcoms and I think the main thing is that there is no "reset button". They never get back to any kind of normal, the consequences of what they do follow them for the entirety of the show. In the same way that It's Always Sunny took Seinfeld a step further, I feel like Search Party takes It's Always Sunny a step further.

Right, the reinventions aren't resets. It's all real consequences. The characters still never learn anything, because they are shallow pricks like Seinfeld and It's Always Sunny.

That also necessitated it ending more than It's Always Sunny. There are only so many times they can face drastic consequences before something like season 5 happens.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it may very well be good but there's too drat much content and you gotta have a way to filter thru it, even if it means missing some good stuff occasionally

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Animal-Mother posted:

"Y'all, don't try to ice skate uphill! That ain't it, chief. Let me give you some pro strat tips..."

“they ice skate uphill now?”

“they ice skate uphill now!”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

christmas boots posted:

“they ice skate uphill now?”

“they ice skate uphill now!”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That reminds me, is Columbo actually good or is it all just memes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

Right, the reinventions aren't resets. It's all real consequences. The characters still never learn anything, because they are shallow pricks like Seinfeld and It's Always Sunny.

That also necessitated it ending more than It's Always Sunny. There are only so many times they can face drastic consequences before something like season 5 happens.

Yeah exactly. Sunny and Search Party have given me a greater appreciation for the ending of Seinfeld because I can see what they were trying to do. Like, these people are assholes and they do deserve their comeuppance, even if we like them.

With Sunny, it feels like the next step of the "never learn, never change" philosophy of sitcoms because when you're never learning or growing, you don't stay stagnant - you get worse. They've made that "Flandersization" of characters people talk about happening in sitcoms that go on long enough a part of those characters. Charlie's not just stupid, he's brain-damaged and doing nothing to change his behavior so of course he's going to get dumber over time.

with Search Party, it feels like a continuation of that same progress. Not only do these people get worse, they make the world around them worse, they inspire hatred and bad behavior in others that would otherwise not have gone down that path. Sunny gets into that a little bit, but Search Party really leans into it by taking it to its logical conclusion: Dory literally causing the apocalypse instead of admit she did anything wrong lol.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah exactly. Sunny and Search Party have given me a greater appreciation for the ending of Seinfeld because I can see what they were trying to do. Like, these people are assholes and they do deserve their comeuppance, even if we like them.

With Sunny, it feels like the next step of the "never learn, never change" philosophy of sitcoms because when you're never learning or growing, you don't stay stagnant - you get worse. They've made that "Flandersization" of characters people talk about happening in sitcoms that go on long enough a part of those characters. Charlie's not just stupid, he's brain-damaged and doing nothing to change his behavior so of course he's going to get dumber over time.

with Search Party, it feels like a continuation of that same progress. Not only do these people get worse, they make the world around them worse, they inspire hatred and bad behavior in others that would otherwise not have gone down that path. Sunny gets into that a little bit, but Search Party really leans into it by taking it to its logical conclusion: Dory literally causing the apocalypse instead of admit she did anything wrong lol.

Season 5 of Search Party is one of the best things I've ever seen. It's just the natural conclusion of self absorbed terrible behavior. And although Search Party had broader consequences, I do love the commitment that just about everyone pulled into the It's Always Sunny gang's orbit ends up dramatically harmed or outright dead.

Also Rob McElhenney's extreme body transformations to visually show much his character has devolved through the years is admirable (and insane). Even when he's in shape, he's only in shape for the most self destructive reasons possible.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

loquacius posted:

There are a lot of good ones and some very bad ones.

The 90s ones aren't great.

I find Columbo really fun overall, though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

loquacius posted:

on the balance its very good, a lot of the later stuff is kind of a dud but Peter Falk is consistently charming and the formula of "high society dipshit gets their comeuppance" never gets old

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i gotta admit i'm looking forward to the mcu trying to integrate blade. they did a horrible job with the blip and i want to see them gently caress up again. all the weird poo poo in marvel/dc thats just like 'oh yeah , mephisto? fought him last week, hell is real and so is God' is so orthogonal to the mcu i'm always down for seeing more of it. they made magic seem like no big deal to anyone, which it pretty much was, but blade ranting about vampires taking over the world is gonna be fun

instead we'll just get a flashback sequence over the years of how vampires were really running the real show, right next to the red room guys, tony leung's crew, hydra, etc

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hey speaking of comeuppances, man what a great word, my wife watched Seinfeld for the first time with me a bit ago and somehow she had avoided the finale spoilers for twenty-some years and i couldve vibrated my molecules through solid lead trying to keep it to myself because she fuckin hated those monsters the entire time and absolutely loved seeing them gets theirs at the end

it was great seeing someone go in fresh and have the correct reaction to the finale considering how much vitriol it drew at the time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nichael posted:

Season 5 of Search Party is one of the best things I've ever seen. It's just the natural conclusion of self absorbed terrible behavior. And although Search Party had broader consequences, I do love the commitment that just about everyone pulled into the It's Always Sunny gang's orbit ends up dramatically harmed or outright dead.

Also Rob McElhenney's extreme body transformations to visually show much his character has devolved through the years is admirable (and insane). Even when he's in shape, he's only in shape for the most self destructive reasons possible.

Cricket is always great when he shows up in Always Sunny because he's somehow even more mangled and scarred than the last time. And mentally I still think of him as the priest that he only played for a single episode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hoping that the MCU is one day brave enough to go with the comic canon that there is in fact a singular supreme creator above all the other gods and cosmic entities that just so happens to look exactly like Jack Kirby.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

it was great seeing someone go in fresh and have the correct reaction to the finale considering how much vitriol it drew at the time

I think it was just so different from what people had seen up to that point that they were expecting to see like Jerry and Elaine get married lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

i gotta admit i'm looking forward to the mcu trying to integrate blade. they did a horrible job with the blip and i want to see them gently caress up again. all the weird poo poo in marvel/dc thats just like 'oh yeah , mephisto? fought him last week, hell is real and so is God' is so orthogonal to the mcu i'm always down for seeing more of it. they made magic seem like no big deal to anyone, which it pretty much was, but blade ranting about vampires taking over the world is gonna be fun

instead we'll just get a flashback sequence over the years of how vampires were really running the real show, right next to the red room guys, tony leung's crew, hydra, etc

making Thanos an overpopulation guy instead of him just being horny for death who manifests to him as a big titted skeleton was such a wuss move