Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The way that fabric interacts with that dress shape has a weird not-quite-real vibe. I think the dress is great, but it definitely took my brain a few seconds to figure out what was going on.

Like you're going to have people doing double-takes thinking you've been photoshopped into their reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Those are BURGER PLANETS

Awesome

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ms. Frizzle takes the kids to Pizza Planet.

(it's cool and good).

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The way that fabric interacts with that dress shape has a weird not-quite-real vibe. I think the dress is great, but it definitely took my brain a few seconds to figure out what was going on.

Like you're going to have people doing double-takes thinking you've been photoshopped into their reality.

Totally agree, I'm wearing a vaporwave dress.jpg that I illegally downloaded from the internet :getin:

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Sorry for double posting, but I'm hoping to get some advice on re-sizing just the tops on some dresses I have.

[be jealous of my pusheen sports bra]

The dress is from Hot Topic, my mom sent me 3 that are this exact dress but in different fabrics/patterns.
They're supposed to be off-the-shoulder peasant dresses, but on me its falling-off-the-shoulder-and-on-to-the-floor because I have a shoulder and boob deficiency.
The fit is too perfect from the waist down, and I love the pattern. What's the best way to go about resizing the chest and shoulder area?
I have the same dress in black and red plaid and I was thinking about maybe using the little ribbon at the middle of the neckline to make it into some kinda halter to give it a gothy japanese fashion vibe. But I'd rather keep the strawberry frog one simple.
There's a looooot of elastic involved in the construction of the dress. Would I wanna be opening up the neck and pulling then cutting the elastic shorter to make it fit tighter?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pasketti posted:

Sorry for double posting, but I'm hoping to get some advice on re-sizing just the tops on some dresses I have.

[be jealous of my pusheen sports bra]

The dress is from Hot Topic, my mom sent me 3 that are this exact dress but in different fabrics/patterns.
They're supposed to be off-the-shoulder peasant dresses, but on me its falling-off-the-shoulder-and-on-to-the-floor because I have a shoulder and boob deficiency.
The fit is too perfect from the waist down, and I love the pattern. What's the best way to go about resizing the chest and shoulder area?
I have the same dress in black and red plaid and I was thinking about maybe using the little ribbon at the middle of the neckline to make it into some kinda halter to give it a gothy japanese fashion vibe. But I'd rather keep the strawberry frog one simple.
There's a looooot of elastic involved in the construction of the dress. Would I wanna be opening up the neck and pulling then cutting the elastic shorter to make it fit tighter?

(I am jealous of the Pusheen sports bra)

You've got the right idea. I'd end up creating a new elastic or drawcord channel, probably. You might also want to remove some fabric if it's too puffy. Have a helper pinch out how much needs to go, and add a few darts (like at the back, front neck, and shoulders).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yep. Note that you have to take the whole elastic out, cut it to your new length, and then get it evenly tensioned all the way round as you sew (if you're doing it stitched-down like it is now). That is a long piece of elastic, so getting that right will take a lot of careful dividing up and pinning.

If you go with Effika's suggestion of the channel, you get around that, but then need to do a certain amount of manual adjustment of the channel fabric to get it even. But you also get a little more room for fine tuning once you're done.

And yep, darts if you find it's too poofy in the end.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
When I have to shorten elastic but don’t want to redo the entire thing out of laziness, I stitch the beginning and end in, then put a good anchoring stitch in at the halfway mark, maybe 2 more at the quarter mark on either side. If there is way too much fabric you will get some uneven bunching, though.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
At this point I'm honestly just wondering what the intended human body proportions for this dress were...the waist is so tiny

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I made a little double sided project bag for my wife to carry her current cross stitch project into work instead of using ziplock bags.

if I were to do it again I'm not sure if I would have done the fabric strips around the zipper the same way, but I don't know what I would change because I like the look. Working with polyvinyl was significantly less of a pain than I expected.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I made a little double sided project bag for my wife to carry her current cross stitch project into work instead of using ziplock bags.

if I were to do it again I'm not sure if I would have done the fabric strips around the zipper the same way, but I don't know what I would change because I like the look. Working with polyvinyl was significantly less of a pain than I expected.

I love both projects! Your corners came out well on that bag.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I'd love to try out print screening on fabrics. I have used fabric paint and stencils to create custom designs on clothes before, but stenciling can be hard for intricate patterns.

I've seen a couple different starter kits with one small frame included. Is it worth getting a cheap kit or should I look into sturdier tools?

Are there any good resources for this particular craft?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I'd love to try out print screening on fabrics. I have used fabric paint and stencils to create custom designs on clothes before, but stenciling can be hard for intricate patterns.

I've seen a couple different starter kits with one small frame included. Is it worth getting a cheap kit or should I look into sturdier tools?

Are there any good resources for this particular craft?

I've never made my own screen, but have screen printed various things over the years. The impression I get is that it's enough work that it isn't worthwhile to cheap out on materials. Like I would go to an actual art supply place (not Michaels) and see what they have.

Also the frame is just four pieces of wood screwed together, and seems like the kind of thing that if it came as a kit would add cost (and bulk if you're ordering online).

I'm pretty sure there should be tutorials all over YouTube, Instructables, etc.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Do you know if the ink used keeps its vibrancy after a couple of washes? One thing I'm tired of with regular, acrylic type fabric paint is that it's very quick to fade after say 5-10 washes.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yep I've never had a screen print fade that quickly. Some of it is probably the process just depositing more ink. Some of it may be the ink being better quality.

Also obviously wash on low temperature, ideally inside-out, and hang to dry if you want to maximize longevity of any fabric art.

Also also, you could look into having screens made or one-off prints done at a local print shop. The DIY aspect can be fun but if all you want is the finished product there are easier ways.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Very good info, thanks! :)

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Ohhhhh man. I have a lot to say about screen printing because I just learned how to do it this summer!

Basically, yeah, cost of entry is kinda high. And there is a LOT to learn. I bought a kit from Blick (slightly more advanced art store than Michaels, lol) and while in theory it would’ve saved a lot of money to buy the kit…. The one I bought had been sitting on a shelf for so long that the chemicals had gone off and didn’t work anymore. Luckily they accepted my return and refunded me, but that was still pretty frustrating. I ended up just buying all the things I needed individually because I didn’t wanna have to deal with all that.

Like a previous poster said, a local printing shop would be ideal to patronize! But if you don’t have access to that, I liked Anthem Screen Printing (they have an online store) for getting materials. They have everything you’d need. And they also will make your screen for you if you don’t wanna be bothered by all that.

And in terms of inks and longevity, both water-based and plastisol inks will be professional quality and last a long time. They have pros and cons for texture, feel, ease of use, etc, so either one will work depending on what kinda result you think will be best for your situation.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the kit I bought was, of course, a Speedball kit (gotta love the name of that brand)

cloudy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 30, 2022

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Speedball lol

This is making me so excited to try this out :dance: I hope I'll have something to show off in this thread the coming year.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I've searched the thread, but I need more help, I think.

I want to make a custom sweatshirt. The last time I tried this was probably 20 years ago, when the only available option was iron-on transfers made with an ink-jet printer. It looks like now you can get paper for laser-jet printers, and some are even self-weeding, which is exciting. But, there are a lot of options, and I don't know enough about what I'm doing to know what I need. I have a color laser jet printer, I want to press the image onto dark fabric (material blend as-yet unknown), I have an iron but not a heat press, and I'd love something self-weeding. I'd like the negative space in the image to be just the fabric, and not a translucent section of the paper. And, I'd like the paper to not melt in or gum up my printer.

What is it that I want? Specific product suggestions welcome. Or, should I just go on Etsy and let a professional handle it?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

How complex is your design (including number of colors) and how perfect do you need it to come out? You can DIY with screen printing ink

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'm looking at simple, single-color images; one line-art on the front, and one with filled-in basic shapes on the back. I have trouble posting links to the forums, but I'm looking at these images:

https://seeklogo.com/vector-logo/284669/vault-tec

https://i.etsystatic.com/35782126/r/il/af1746/3892228716/il_fullxfull.3892228716_g3g1.jpg

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
If you know someone with a cricuit machine........ I've never done it, but drat, they seem easy to use and have good results.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That seems like an excellent thing to order from a professional and get your money back if they gently caress up. Customink.com is a big name, but you can just search "custom sweatshirt no minimum" for lots of options

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah there might even be somewhere local to you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nobody but me in my real life knows my annoyance over this.

I've ranted over the years about how you take the price of an American machine and then double it at least to get the price of the same model in the UK. This resulted in me ordering a Quantum Stylist 9960 when they first came out from Walmart, having it delivered to a company in Switzerland to get the power supply switched and then sent on to me. Cost me £700, and when it came out here two years later it was £1400.

Just got the Singer heavy duty 5511 (same as the 4411 but white) as a backup and straight stitch machine and am incredibly not mad that it's casing is much stronger, and it's quieter, faster, and does better straight stitches. I love the quantum stylist but come on Singer your lower end shouldn't be better made than what is marketed in the UK as a high end machine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Nobody but me in my real life knows my annoyance over this.

I've ranted over the years about how you take the price of an American machine and then double it at least to get the price of the same model in the UK. This resulted in me ordering a Quantum Stylist 9960 when they first came out from Walmart, having it delivered to a company in Switzerland to get the power supply switched and then sent on to me. Cost me £700, and when it came out here two years later it was £1400.

Just got the Singer heavy duty 5511 (same as the 4411 but white) as a backup and straight stitch machine and am incredibly not mad that it's casing is much stronger, and it's quieter, faster, and does better straight stitches. I love the quantum stylist but come on Singer your lower end shouldn't be better made than what is marketed in the UK as a high end machine.

The Vietnam run (the past couple of years) of the Heavy Duty machines are honestly quite nice.

I think Singer just throws a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks with their models and pricing these days, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the big reason for going for that model was the four step buttonhole, the quantum stylist has one of the all singing all dancing automatic button holes and it sucks. Because of the automatic tension and other features if it detects a something slightly outside of perfect it will stop dead, you can't put your foot down and give it more power, you have to lift and lower the presser foot which usually works, if it does not you have to turn off the machine and turn it back on again - this resets everything back to the default straight stitch, so if it happens part way through a buttonhole you are screwed.

We don't have the same variety of singer sewing machines in the UK, but Amazon will show us US models available to import and the sheer number of nearly identical beginner machines is absolutely baffling. It's like someone higher up went "let's be the company who gives new sewers choice" like having one or two models in the same price range didn't work for them for a hundred and fifty years before.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The new insulated mittens pattern from Jalie (4343 Mimi mittens) is pretty cool. Just measure your hands during a few different times of the day: I measured only once and apparently my hands are a full size smaller in the morning! Oops. These still fit ok, just a little tight.

The floral cuff pair is mine and the grey cuff pair is my husband's.

I used Polartec Neoshell for the teal parts and Toughtek gripper fabric for the black parts. I didn't trim my seams so the Toughtek is making weird shapes. Oops again!

I like these a lot, though, it's a pretty good pattern. I want to make a shell for my running gloves with the Neoshell next.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crossposting from TFR, of all places.

I ran across something cool on ebay, some refurbished Gingher fabric scissors from an interesting source. I have lots of beloved people in my life who sew and thought these would be good gifts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265607095671

Gingher is originally based out of Greensboro, NC (aka "Jeansboro") and supported the huge local textiles industry. Gingher was acquired by Fiskars in bankruptcy in 2005. Pre-acquisition, they manufactured in Brazil, Italy and Germany. Post-acquisition, they make the all metal ones in Italy and the others in Taiwan. This makes dating these stamped "Made in Italy" scissors difficult. I suspect these ones are post-acquisition, 2005 or later.

Now for the interesting source. The seller is in South Carolina, and listed in his description that he's a professional sharpener and acquired a bunch of these from a former denim plant in North Carolina. I imagine he probably bought an auction lot for cheap when the place shut down, and as a sharpener knew they were worth saving. I remembered hearing a few years ago that the very last textile plant in the United States that was making selvedge denim had shut down, somewhere on the Atlantic coast. I looked the plant up and asked the seller if this was from the very last American denim plant in the US, the Cone Mills owned White Oak plant in Greensboro, NC, closed in 2017. Seller confirmed that it was, and also was surprised that I'd know that.

That's a pretty neat origin story. They would have been carried by an operator at that plant in their apron or pocket for snipping loose threads. Gingher's sharpening service for their scissors is still in Greensboro. I imagine the denim factory probably regularly sent buckets of dulled or damaged scissors to be resharpened and returned. Bought new, they're ~$20-25. Guy's selling his resharpened ones for $10, and when I ordered 4 he threw in a bonus 5th one for free.
I think my mom's going to love it. I got her a pair of 4" extremely pointy Gingher embroidery scissors a few years ago and they've been her daily driver ever since for quilting. These will probably supersede those, as the rounded tip is less likely to snag a quilt top.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Crossposting from TFR, of all places.

I ran across something cool on ebay, some refurbished Gingher fabric scissors from an interesting source. I have lots of beloved people in my life who sew and thought these would be good gifts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265607095671

Gingher is originally based out of Greensboro, NC (aka "Jeansboro") and supported the huge local textiles industry. Gingher was acquired by Fiskars in bankruptcy in 2005. Pre-acquisition, they manufactured in Brazil, Italy and Germany. Post-acquisition, they make the all metal ones in Italy and the others in Taiwan. This makes dating these stamped "Made in Italy" scissors difficult. I suspect these ones are post-acquisition, 2005 or later.

Now for the interesting source. The seller is in South Carolina, and listed in his description that he's a professional sharpener and acquired a bunch of these from a former denim plant in North Carolina. I imagine he probably bought an auction lot for cheap when the place shut down, and as a sharpener knew they were worth saving. I remembered hearing a few years ago that the very last textile plant in the United States that was making selvedge denim had shut down, somewhere on the Atlantic coast. I looked the plant up and asked the seller if this was from the very last American denim plant in the US, the Cone Mills owned White Oak plant in Greensboro, NC, closed in 2017. Seller confirmed that it was, and also was surprised that I'd know that.

That's a pretty neat origin story. They would have been carried by an operator at that plant in their apron or pocket for snipping loose threads. Gingher's sharpening service for their scissors is still in Greensboro. I imagine the denim factory probably regularly sent buckets of dulled or damaged scissors to be resharpened and returned. Bought new, they're ~$20-25. Guy's selling his resharpened ones for $10, and when I ordered 4 he threw in a bonus 5th one for free.
I think my mom's going to love it. I got her a pair of 4" extremely pointy Gingher embroidery scissors a few years ago and they've been her daily driver ever since for quilting. These will probably supersede those, as the rounded tip is less likely to snag a quilt top.

Hot drat! Thanks for this.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

did you already get them?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

did you already get them?

Not yet! Tracking says they'll be here in 3 days

Heard a funny story from one of my coworkers. The setting is that she had just graduated and was in week one of her first career job. She was interested in learning sewing, and was shopping for her first machine. Her boyfriend's mom was a home ec teacher and sewing enthusiast. She recommended a good first machine, a $2300 Bernina. She bought it, despite it being grossly overkill for a novice. ~20 years later she still has it, and she has definitely never felt limited by her equipment :v:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Now for the interesting source. The seller is in South Carolina, and listed in his description that he's a professional sharpener and acquired a bunch of these from a former denim plant in North Carolina. I imagine he probably bought an auction lot for cheap when the place shut down, and as a sharpener knew they were worth saving. I remembered hearing a few years ago that the very last textile plant in the United States that was making selvedge denim had shut down, somewhere on the Atlantic coast. I looked the plant up and asked the seller if this was from the very last American denim plant in the US, the Cone Mills owned White Oak plant in Greensboro, NC, closed in 2017.

Cool, I never knew that Gingher’s sharpening plant was in Greensboro. I’m around there a lot for work, I wonder if they would let me just drop some scissors off. I thrift around here and used to find white oak cone mills denim jeans often, which were probably samples from the plant. I was bummed when it closed down (for the most part, although they still have limited operations and manufacturing at the plant through some heritage denim foundation).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Huh, I thought they still produced denim in Trion, GA, but maybe it's just a different stage in the process.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

canyoneer posted:

Heard a funny story from one of my coworkers. The setting is that she had just graduated and was in week one of her first career job. She was interested in learning sewing, and was shopping for her first machine. Her boyfriend's mom was a home ec teacher and sewing enthusiast. She recommended a good first machine, a $2300 Bernina. She bought it, despite it being grossly overkill for a novice. ~20 years later she still has it, and she has definitely never felt limited by her equipment :v:

I'm a new-ish quilter who inherited a vintage Viking to get started with, and I'm hoping to buy an overkill machine in the next year or two. I really want some more modern features. The Viking has a couple of quirks, but it's fast and has good throat space. So the entry level machines I've tried so far feel like a step down.

As a middle-aged lady who can afford to splurge on hobbies and is specifically looking for a machine that's too good for me, I'm still intimidated by Berninas.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I successfully hemmed my shower curtain so it doesn't drag a huge pile of fabric along the shower floor :shobon: it's really not a straight line (idk how machine sewing a straight line is so difficult for me) but also it's not really that noticeable.

I've never put machine sewing to a visible use in my home before because I'm still not very confident in my ability and I don't want to waste fabric practicing, so this is pretty exciting for me

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hell yeh it is! Next step is table cloths, all you need to do is fold down to hide the raw edges then topstitch your lines all the way round in a colour that blends into the fabric, and you got a table cloth at less cost than in the shops and you don't have to settle on the fabric.

I got a fair few bits of terrible furniture being hidden by simple patchwork tablecloths myself.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Another great beginner project is tote bags! Straight line practice galore and even a crookedly seen one works.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I successfully hemmed my shower curtain so it doesn't drag a huge pile of fabric along the shower floor :shobon: it's really not a straight line (idk how machine sewing a straight line is so difficult for me) but also it's not really that noticeable.

I've never put machine sewing to a visible use in my home before because I'm still not very confident in my ability and I don't want to waste fabric practicing, so this is pretty exciting for me

:yeah:

Don't be afraid to stick a guide on your machine's bed next to whatever you're sewing, too. I can only get a perfectly straight line if I stick a magnet next to my presser foot. Some people use a stack of post-it notes, and they sell products for it, too.

Yesterday I made some running underwear and was too lazy to use my seam guide. (It's underwear!) The undies came out great but check out the wavy waistband sewing:

And yes, there's fabric marker (washable!) on these because they are made from scraps. (It's underwear!)

DominoKitten posted:

Another great beginner project is tote bags! Straight line practice galore and even a crookedly seen one works.

learnincurve posted:

Hell yeh it is! Next step is table cloths, all you need to do is fold down to hide the raw edges then topstitch your lines all the way round in a colour that blends into the fabric, and you got a table cloth at less cost than in the shops and you don't have to settle on the fabric.

I got a fair few bits of terrible furniture being hidden by simple patchwork tablecloths myself.

Great ideas.

If you can find some cheap linen or some cotton woven, making a set of napkins is a great way to practice straight seams, too. (Plus mitered corners!) You get to leave your iron on the hottest setting and spray it/use steam, so the fabric really stays where you put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Update on my cool scissors I ordered. Got them today, they look great, are a great size and form factor and are wicked sharp.