Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

If you want a fun action rhythm game with almost no cutscenes play Sifu

Sifu is an action rhythm game in the same way that every action game ever can be technically considered a rhythm game.

I'm not being facetious - I like fighting games because they click for me a lot like rhythm games, but HiFi Rush has taken the rhythm idea to a whole new level that feels really special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hi-Fi Rush seems like the kind of game where the controller should be vibrating along with the beat or something, but I'm not getting any controller feedback on PC. Does it just not do that? Or is my controller/the game on PC busted

edit: bring back the Rez vibrator

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

giogadi posted:

Sifu is an action rhythm game in the same way that every action game ever can be technically considered a rhythm game.

I'm not being facetious - I like fighting games because they click for me a lot like rhythm games, but HiFi Rush has taken the rhythm idea to a whole new level that feels really special.

Someone in the Sifu thread did a bunch of huge effortposts about how enemy attacks subtly line up to the backing tracks of levels or something, really interesting read and a deeper integration of attack time than I see in a lot of other character action games

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Someone in the Sifu thread did a bunch of huge effortposts about how enemy attacks subtly line up to the backing tracks of levels or something, really interesting read and a deeper integration of attack time than I see in a lot of other character action games

ooooh is that right? I had the wrong idea about Sifu then. I'll definitely give it another look. When I played it I felt like I was having to guess at when enemies did stuff, but if there is some kind of syncing to music in there, that sounds really compelling

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i don't know if you guys heard about this game, God of War Ragnarok. but anyway i just finished it and it was very good. it made me cry.

I hope that this is the last Kratos game, because daddy is tired and deserves to put down his bundle of logs at last, but I'm looking forward to the God of Trickery spinoff series.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked the part in ragnarok where kratos f*cks the two topless ladies in his cabin and the accompanying minigame

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1618939213206159361?t=rkTMuHbCTLugBXFfPT8WXw&s=19

Jeez that's a resume

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

giogadi posted:

Even if each cutscene were the absolute pinnacle of comedy (it's not, I saw plenty before deciding to skip cutscenes), the constant digressions are still guilty of ruining the game's pace. Finally, an action game is doing something different with gameplay and inviting me to feel the rhythm! Oh but wait as soon as I've started to groove along, the game breaks my flow for some slapstick scene. Is the game so unconfident in its (amazing) gameplay that it feels it has to distract me from it every minute or so?

i think they just wanted to tell jokes op

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I don't understand why the Viewtiful Joe's haven't gotten some kind of re-release. So much loving style.

And hell yeah that's a resume! drat!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Yeah the structure is very similar to Viewtiful Joe. The game is great surprise

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's an event director?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the part in ragnarok where kratos f*cks the two topless ladies in his cabin and the accompanying minigame

Press X to say "oooh yeah baby"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do you think Atreus was conceived via QTE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Do you think Atreus was conceived via QTE

Given the level of writing from the old games I think they would need you to know it was a Long Time Event

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Would you have correctly guessed what this button does? For context, it's from the Xbox App.

"Add to Play Later", and yes there's now a tooltip

MS recently has a thing for symbol only buttons that aren't self evident.

re: possibly fail UIs on PS5 they always have "sort by:" at the top right so I try to move the cursor there but the sort button is on the left!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What's an event director?

i think it's the guy who coordinates in-engine cutscenes, or possibly anything that's outside the scope of standard gameplay (e.g. the infamous window dogs)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm sounds made up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Hi-Fi Rush seems like the kind of game where the controller should be vibrating along with the beat or something, but I'm not getting any controller feedback on PC. Does it just not do that? Or is my controller/the game on PC busted

edit: bring back the Rez vibrator

It works for me (using a DS5 and DStool)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead Space Remake gives me multiple character interactions about how to kill the enemies, and this is after you kill your first enemy. lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that was in the original, there’s three or four reminders within fifteen minutes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How do the necromorphs look? They looked a bit too much like angry ghouls in the trailers and less like John Carpenter suffering abominations. Small nitpick I know

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TLR:

I just found out that I missed out on at least a dozen quests because the game locks you out after the disc change without warning :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

that was in the original, there’s three or four reminders within fifteen minutes

iirc, it was even worse than that: there's literally a bifurcated hallway with one path that leads to the plasma cutter, the iconic "CUT OFF THE LIMBS" blood writing, and an audio log of a guy telling you to cut off the limbs with the plasma cutter, and then another path with a fuse-locked door where hammond tells you, "hey, make sure to cut off their limbs!" which is then immediately followed by a tutorial popup telling you to conserve ammo by cutting off the limbs. all of this happens in the span of maybe 3-4 minutes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

How do the necromorphs look? They looked a bit too much like angry ghouls in the trailers and less like John Carpenter suffering abominations. Small nitpick I know

Basically the same as the original

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think it's harder to tell that the necromorphs are basically the same visual-wise because the entire lighting engine and design philosophy got overhauled, so it's gone from "spooky monsters in dim xbox 360 lighting" to "spooky monsters you catch brief, horrifying glimpses of between your flashlight and muzzle flare"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

External Organs posted:

I don't understand why the Viewtiful Joe's haven't gotten some kind of re-release. So much loving style.

The world is still in danger one more time. :ohdear:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

External Organs posted:

obviously they're working on Okami II and The Wonderful 201

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Okami's director wants to make another, he said a few years ago.

I wish they would

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Okami ended perfectly I’m not sure where you’d go with a sequel

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doggy Journey to the West

e: The Incredible Journey to the West

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

hatty posted:

Okami ended perfectly I’m not sure where you’d go with a sequel

They made one for the Nintendo DS!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it was pretty bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean yeah

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rarity posted:

TLR:

I just found out that I missed out on at least a dozen quests because the game locks you out after the disc change without warning :negative:

Yep, that's Last Remnant for you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Odd Wilson posted:

Yep, that's Last Remnant for you

There were towns I hadn't even realised existed until it was too late to do their questions :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ethiser posted:

They made one for the Nintendo DS!

And we all wish they hadn't

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rarity posted:

There were towns I hadn't even realised existed until it was too late to do their questions :argh:

Did you at least to get to hear Melphina's bop of a track? If not, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcmAEZxkvSg

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah it loving owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They already made two okami sequels and bundled them with the original release :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Shinjobi posted:

i sold a tf2 Medic hair/hat thing to someone for 40 bucks a decade ago, I think. Helped me through the holiday season, since money was always tight around then for me

This is going to buy me something some day