Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Our home is -- we made a promise."

Honestly, this is the first time I've actually gone through and read Chapter 7 in full, I mostly skimmed it (quickly) when it was coming out. It's really long-winded and I think Zack's gotten a better hang of the writing now with Chapter 8.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1598535216854974465

The worst thing that can happen to conspirators: people talking to each other

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Now this is interesting. Was Doorman at one time Francisco's spirit? Is that why he's obnoxiously against relying on spirits/tools now? Is Francisco the one who shattered the sphinx, or was he just there to watch it happen?

Doorman has a different outfit in that flashback panel, but I don't think that's terribly unusual for spirits to manifest themselves in different ways. Francisco has a few battle wounds there, plus an apparently significant one on his left ribcage. Looks like he survived that though and lived for at least 2-3 more decades before dying and turning into a spirit himself.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was going to say there's no F or M but I realized my brain just glossed over any word that had two letters.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Now this is interesting. Was Doorman at one time Francisco's spirit? Is that why he's obnoxiously against relying on spirits/tools now? Is Francisco the one who shattered the sphinx, or was he just there to watch it happen?

Doorman has a different outfit in that flashback panel, but I don't think that's terribly unusual for spirits to manifest themselves in different ways. Francisco has a few battle wounds there, plus an apparently significant one on his left ribcage. Looks like he survived that though and lived for at least 2-3 more decades before dying and turning into a spirit himself.

Yeah seems like it. Looks like Francisco took to Doorman's teachings on justice a little too well.

Also I wonder if Francisco learning about the prophecy is going to turn him against Spender in some way. Since he might take it as a sign that Spender is inevitably going to drop the ball with the wight. So that might prompt Francisco to want to intervene or take control of Spender's affairs.

It would be one way to accelerate things a bit.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Its such a shame a promising young artist fell to exploding wrist syndrome.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I only just noticed Isaac's shirt, and I am loving it. Much like the faces, the clothing in this comic is always amazing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Feels like character relationships are rapidly falling apart.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is this the first time we've seen Doorman's color?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Feels like character relationships are rapidly falling apart.
I want Max to bond with his horrible metal snake to make up for this.

Come to think of it, I want more of Max's horrible metal snake in general. Love that critter's design and attitude problems.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Is this the first time we've seen Doorman's color?

I went back to look and we do see red energy coming out of the keyhole in his face when he's using his power. So that's been there since his first appearance. But it was definitely much more subtle than it has been in the past two pages.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-8

We seem to be getting a rundown of every active player in this mess, huh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A bunch of interesting details in this. DuNacht has black spectral energy, probably explains why the baseball bat was stored at the school. The new Sphinx has yellow/golden energy, I don't think we've seen any other characters with that color yet.

There's 3 sphinxes (with many wives), which immediately reminds me of the 3 respawning dogs from Chapter 4.

I guess the only thing that's left to find out about are the cultists that were talking with the dogs, the group which the fortune teller is a member?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

A bunch of interesting details in this. DuNacht has black spectral energy, probably explains why the baseball bat was stored at the school. The new Sphinx has yellow/golden energy, I don't think we've seen any other characters with that color yet.

There's 3 sphinxes (with many wives), which immediately reminds me of the 3 respawning dogs from Chapter 4.

I guess the only thing that's left to find out about are the cultists that were talking with the dogs, the group which the fortune teller is a member?

Doesn't Spender have yellow energy?

All of the new sphinx's lines are questions, which might be a hint to his gimmick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Doesn't Spender have yellow energy?

:doh: How did I overlook that. Ritz also has yellow energy, only a couple pages ago.

edit: the cats are red, blue, and yellow, the three primary colors in the subtractive color model. What do you get when you mix them, particularly at that level of intensity of color? Black. This isn't a coincidence lol

With lighting -- additive colors -- if you take RGB, Red & Green creates yellow, Red & Blue creates magenta, Blue & Green creates cyan. And then all 3 combined creates white.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alright, this update has more going on than it seemed at first. First let's go back and check out some pages from Chapter 5.

DuNacht's first appearance. I thought she was glaring at HiJeff, but what if she's looking at Cody instead? We know Davy and DuNacht aren't on the greatest terms, and DuNacht probably views Cody as a puppet of Davy's. DuNacht's next appearance we find that she's tailing Jeff/Cody. Cody's aware of it but plays it off as if he's oblivious. He's probably not. She's part of the montage of important characters who react to Jeff's smash throw. Along with Cody, I notice Lisa is completely unperturbed here. That's interesting.

Max's line about "there are two monsters on that side of the field" is like a quadruple pun lol. First it refers to Cody/Jeff, then to the tiger/dragon spirits, then later on we learn it refers to Cody-the-dhampir and Hijack.... then we find out Hijack wasn't a bad guy. So who's the second monster? How about the one standing behind Jeff? Note the pointed teeth. Not just a visual joke! "I underestimated you, hag." So she stalks and captures normal students. She's briefly surprised and suspects that Jeff might be ............... until Jeff immediately calls for Cody (who gets a death glare) and DuNacht clams the hell up. "I'll cook you into a stew, I'll peel your bones --" A couple pages later, again DuNacht is part of the reaction montage, where she seems frustrated. And again. Check this out, DuNacht (and Suzy) getting a solid view of Hijack, and she clearly reacts with surprise. She immediately goes after bigger fish.

We see her a couple more times after that but nothing important happens until Mina recognizes DuNacht as the Witch. On the next page, DuNacht seems nonplussed but acts as if she doesn't recognize Mina. Not long after this is when we find out there are undead roaming Mayview, I wonder if DuNacht got mummified or zombified or vampified? Anyway, her last appearance in Chapter 5 strongly suggests a spider motif, which fits with her string powers and general demeanor. (As a side note, notice Mina going emotionless here? She's using the millipede's powers to control her emotions. Next page we get a pretty strong contrast where Dmitri reveals that he bailed on the Activity Club because his fear overwhelmed him.)

Anyway that's her appearances in Chapter 5. So what does today's page, which I note is the 8th page of Chapter 8 ;;;;) tell us? This meeting with the sphinxes is a regular occurrence, which suggests that it's probably not a coincidence that the Sphinx of Games ran into Max and Isaac in chapter 3, and then Games/Truth stalked Isaac in chapter 5, then attacked the group at the end of Chapter 6. DuNacht wants Isaac/Isaac's spirit, and if we look at her depictions in Chapter 5 we can probably infer that Isaac's too much of a do-gooder to get caught by DuNacht/the student council. We know she can steal/absorb powers and use them, and there's an uneasy detente-alliance between DuNacht and Davy's faction.

"Many mouths to feed." This could mean the alley cats, but probably not. Mother spiders will carry babies on them for a period of time after they've hatched. While petting the ugly stray cat, DuNacht twists her head around pretty interestingly. We've seen this before. On that note, remembering Cody telling Max about the factions pushing against each other, it interests me that Lisa (and Davy) is one of the characters reacting to Isaac zapping Spender. Suzy has an interesting word for Lisa.

"Devilora had learned from the very best of the worst." Does this mean DuNacht learned from the previous Witch? That might explain why Mina is shocked that she's still alive, if the Witch was actually a spirit that possessed spectrals and then slowly morphed their physical forms over time (like Isaac's hair is slowly becoming more lightning-themed). That she kills and feeds off a bird's black spectral energy earlier in the page points towards this.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-9

I wonder what's the third sphinx about. He's a chill dude.
I guess he nullifies the others' abilities or something?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No more games, indeed :cheeky:

Kyte posted:

I wonder what's the third sphinx about. He's a chill dude.
I guess he nullifies the others' abilities or something?

So between Rules, Promises, and Truth there's a common theme of being bound and compelled to obey. Lies become truth, rules are binding, promises are kept. "A subtle wave of spectral sensation spread and settled in his absence, bringing eyes down from the sky back to its source. The Sphinx of Truth, unbound at last..."

I was spitballing something like Fairness, Honor, Equability? :shrug: then I think I got it -- Sphinx of Consequences. Promise + Rules + Truth + Consequences all together make something like "Vows" I'd suppose. Maybe "Prophecies"? Rules and Truth couldn't flex their powers here while Consequences(?) was hanging around as there was no good reason for their powers to trigger. With him away Rules and Truth immediately start playing around with their spectral powers and threatening DuNacht with it.

"For the hundredth time at the hundredth meeting" -- so the cats have been meeting with DuNacht for just about two years now.

"... with the pleasant, patient malice of a future widow eager to inherit from her husband." For some reason *gestures at entire comic's archives* I don't think this is all that metaphorical.

edit: Wait, no, not Consequences. Uncertainty? Doubt. Rules + Truth + Promises + Doubt = Prophecies? Riddles?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 30, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Where'd you get Promises?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyte posted:

Where'd you get Promises?

Check this thread's previous page, we had an exchange about how the spirit possessing Max is likely the Sphinx of Promises.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

SKULL.GIF posted:

Check this thread's previous page, we had an exchange about how the spirit possessing Max is likely the Sphinx of Promises.

Oh right, thanks.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-10

I am extremely curious about the last sphinx's deal.
Also while I appreciate the speed of text, I kinda wish we'd gotten some visuals for this particular scene.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh, I didnt even stop to consider that sphinx 3 was just playing dumb. Thats rad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He did say “the benny of the denny” so Sphinx of Doubt seems to be on the right path

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So with this page, we know now one of the hints from the chapter's title page: the ball of (spectral) yarn. (Also, reminded of Spender's lecture to Max on how spectral energy works, via yarn metaphor.) Five more hinted-at story beats to go, then? The toy sun, the water balloon, the strangely malicious doctopus, the buttons, and Sandman's eye.

"... it took weak spirits immense poltergeist focus just to touch the mundane craft store kind..." from that sentence we can infer that Nin wasn't exaggerating with her appraisal of Forge: he's probably among the most powerful spirits in the entire story. Wight, poltergeist, grudge, I wonder if there's more categories in spirit taxonomy? But this also probably means that Spender wasn't entirely messing around when he fought Forge, he genuinely had trouble with a poltergeist so powerful it's nearly corporeal.

DuNacht curses her feeble body, further suggesting that something's puppeteering the vice principal's body rather than actually being the vice principal herself.

After the Sphinx of ??? (Doubt?) shows up -- who, incidentally, with this action alone low-key demonstrates he's the most competent of the trio -- we see that not only is DuNacht no longer able to invoke Truth's powers, we also see that the pool rules are suspended as Truth was able to quickly swoop into DuNacht's face.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No update this week, but the preview art is Isabel and Flipflop. I think we'll probably be cutting away from DuNacht and the cats on the next update and going to the Guerra dojo?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Hey, I've been wondering, is there somewhere were Zack archives these pictures once they update the comic or do they delete them for good?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

isasphere posted:

Hey, I've been wondering, is there somewhere were Zack archives these pictures once they update the comic or do they delete them for good?

It'll just be filed under the day they were posted, as you can see right now.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-11

Also Jackpot Junior sounds like a hilarious place.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Kyte posted:

It'll just be filed under the day they were posted, as you can see right now.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-11

Also Jackpot Junior sounds like a hilarious place.

I could swear there were more in the past, though? They were filler art and were gone from their uploaded place once the next comic page went up.

edit: Like, I remember I sometimes fell behind on the comic and when I caught up and came here to see this thread, people would comment on the cute art but I couldn't find it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not much to comment on with this update, I don't think there's anything between the lines. Given that this is a "serious talk", we're probably going to find out why Max's father brought them back to Mayview after Max's mother died.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-12

Promises, again.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This was a good update. We've spent so much time with side characters and backstory that I kinda forgot Max was the main character? but then moments like these land. Most of Max's dynamics with other characters are rock-solid.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I thought something from today's update looked familiar:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Five bucks says Davy's in the one armed bandit mascot

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

No way would Davy pay himself minimum wage

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

"Max's dad and J. J. Junior shared a look of parental concern."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They were just at the hospital, so probably not Davy?

Although vampires in Paranatural possessing electron properties would make for a menacing villain. He can be at two places at once long as he remains unobserved.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Although vampires in Paranatural ...

Speaking of which.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
These might be my favorite characters.