Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Took me a while, but got around to watching Slow Horses. Despite very exposition-heavy first couple of episodes, once the setting and characters are established it quickly picks up. Office politics and the dynamic between the fancy and professional MI5 main office and the decrepit Slough House staffed entirely with failures add a welcome touch of levity to an otherwise serious spy drama, which is not a genre I'm usually interested in. Gary Oldman as a curmudgeonly spy boss is also a highlight. Haven't read the books, so don't know how it compares to the source material, but it works surprisingly well as a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Dumb questions: there is a new series of Great Pottery Throwdown running right now, right? Why cant I find it on More4?

I couldn't find it because More4 remembered I had streamed a few episodes a year ago, and I had to scroll a series selector up to 2023, which option was not displayed until I scrolled into it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Took me a while, but got around to watching Slow Horses. Despite very exposition-heavy first couple of episodes, once the setting and characters are established it quickly picks up. Office politics and the dynamic between the fancy and professional MI5 main office and the decrepit Slough House staffed entirely with failures add a welcome touch of levity to an otherwise serious spy drama, which is not a genre I'm usually interested in. Gary Oldman as a curmudgeonly spy boss is also a highlight. Haven't read the books, so don't know how it compares to the source material, but it works surprisingly well as a show.

being a big fan of the books I was quite disappointed with the series, a lot of Herron's humour is in his prose descriptions which don't make the transition

also disappointing (if unavoidable) that the obvious Boris Johnson stand-in character has to exist in the same universe as actually Boris Johnson

the casting for Roddy Ho was spot-on though

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I couldn't find it because More4 remembered I had streamed a few episodes a year ago, and I had to scroll a series selector up to 2023, which option was not displayed until I scrolled into it.

More4 is staggeringly shite at times. All the streaming services for UK channels have their quirks (iPlayer won't let you flick through the channels quickly and never displays what's coming up next, my5 gets stuck in an infinite loop sometimes) but More4's display decisions for long-running programmes is mental, as you have stated, and it quite often will freeze up and need to be rebooted on my Firestick.

Oddly enough, the revamped ITV player (ITVx or something?) is weirdly stable and very user-friendly. I've also discovered there's a section of it that continually streams old Vera and Midsomer Murders episodes, without adverts or interruptions, all day, nothing else.

I have watched 24 increasingly inventive murders whilst mildly high on Lemsip and cough medicine, it's been quite a nice day, really.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok Happy Valley is just a cartoon now

It was really obvious that they were looking hard for a way for TLR to escape and unfortunately they landed on the most ridiculous way possible. Maybe the only way possible? the Knesovics could have had a guard or two on the payroll, but they've looked like relatively smalltime villains until the mention of Darius being a potential local councillor. Not sure I love the introduction of the Halifax-Eastern European Mafia tbh.

It's been a while since I watched the first series but was there any indication about who shot Ashley Cowgill at the time?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I know I'm late for Quiz Show Chat but I was on short lived Richard Osman vehicle Two Tribes with the worst hangover ever and hoo boy was he ever mad about it. Also he smells weird.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
If anyone wants to feel old, Joe Thomas from the inbetweeners is now the same age Greg Davies was in the first season.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Annabel Pee posted:

If anyone wants to feel old, Joe Thomas from the inbetweeners is now the same age Greg Davies was in the first season.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Annabel Pee posted:

That can't possibly be true, loving hell

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Annabel Pee posted:

And he's still a year younger than me...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think that's more to do with Greg looking older than his age at the time than anything else. He could have passed for late 40s/early 50s easily.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I think its a mix of Greg looking older than he is, them ageing him up for the role a bit, and being young when watching it and just presuming headmasters are older than they are, and also Joe Thomas already being 25 when the show started and just being a man who looks like a kid when you look at him from a certain angle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When Joe Thomas was on The Inbetweeners he was 11” shorter than the Taskmaster, and since then has main no significant gains.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Anyone see Everyone Else Burns? I couldn't get through the first episode.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mickolution posted:

That is a shame - what was wrong with it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thehustler posted:

Maybe Mick died midway through like that guy killed laughing at the Eckie Thump sketch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm re-watching the BBC Chronicles of Narnia and man I don't remember being quite so annoyed by Aslan last time I watched it (which was only 10 years ago, not like I was a kid or anything). He speaks extremely slowly - maybe to give the puppet time to catch up - and he's kind of a weird dick. Sorry Lion Jesus.
The BBC one feels like each series is a bit more expensive than the last too, where the newer ones have an air of "nobody likes this, whatever" as it goes on

I figure people here might know: What happened to the Dawn Treader after filming?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A bit of it still exists!

https://twitter.com/hanoverpictures/status/1285226987943075840

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thehustler posted:

Admittedly, I probably wasn't in the mood for it and couldn't settle on anything to watch, but I just didn't think it was funny. The jokes were a bit lame and predictable, though maybe it gets better after establishing the world or whatever. It wasn't terrible or anything, just mediocre.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

eating only apples posted:

It was really obvious that they were looking hard for a way for TLR to escape and unfortunately they landed on the most ridiculous way possible. Maybe the only way possible? the Knesovics could have had a guard or two on the payroll, but they've looked like relatively smalltime villains until the mention of Darius being a potential local councillor. Not sure I love the introduction of the Halifax-Eastern European Mafia tbh.

It's been a while since I watched the first series but was there any indication about who shot Ashley Cowgill at the time?

I thought the escape was silly, but didn't mind it as I thought the build up to it combined with the PE teacher being interviewed by the missing persons copper was just beautifully crafted for maximum tension. What I DIDN'T like was the scene with the two lads being grilled by the eastern European big bad. Just really clichéd stuff. spooky warehouse , fancy range Rover, immaculate suit, violent punishment etc. Felt more like Line of Duty than Happy Valley, but I suppose a lot of the episode did really.

Still, I love it and it's awe inspiringly well written, so it gets a pass for all that .

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 25, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
OT but it tickles me a bit that Shearsmith and Pemberton have wound up doing a show that has a following of people whose interest in the show is HOW MANY KILLINTH :holy:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Given the date, I hoped "Everyone Else Burns" would be a short sitcom set around Burns Night. Disappointed to learn otherwise upon googling.

Might put No Holds Bard on this evening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

I thought the escape was silly, but didn't mind it as I thought the build up to it combined with the PE teacher being interviewed by the missing persons copper was just beautifully crafted for maximum tension. What I DIDN'T like was the scene with the two lads being grilled punished by the eastern European big bad. Just really clichéd stuff. spooky warehouse , fancy range Rover, immaculate suit, violent punishment etc. Felt more like Line of Duty than Happy Valley, but I suppose a lot of the episode did really.

Still, I love it and it's awe inspiringly well written, so it gets a pass for all that .

Yeah when that guy pissed on someone I rolled my eyes crazy hard

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oh hell yea thanks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Double posting here to say some more stuff about Narnia.

I've just rewatched the 1988-1990 BBC adaptations and man when you really think about it the narrative of the series is bizarre. The fact that he swaps out his main characters entirely by Silver Chair is so strange to me. And you kinda forget how much of a dick Jesus is to them, I guess CS Lewis liked the idea of Jesus being really authoritarian! He also talks really slowly which gets on my nerves after a while.
It's a long time since I read the books now (maybe 20 years) but I don't quite remember hating Aslan quite so much

The shows also feel like they ramp up how much money is available. LTWTW is much cheaper than Silver Chair for sure - fewer sets, fewer people, worse actors. And yet at the time I only really remember LTWTW being a massive thing, I barely remember Dawn Treader/Chair being on TV at all!

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 26, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mickolution posted:

thehustler posted:

Mickolution posted:

Admittedly, I probably wasn't in the mood for it and couldn't settle on anything to watch, but I just didn't think it was funny. The jokes were a bit lame and predictable, though maybe it gets better after establishing the world or whatever. It wasn't terrible or anything, just mediocre.

I can 'see' the humor of it, but it's not exactly hitting.
It's like an americanised version of a UK show, the cringe that you expect from the original UK version just isn't happening in this.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Taear posted:

I've just rewatched the 1988-1990 BBC adaptations and man when you really think about it the narrative of the series is bizarre. The fact that he swaps out his main characters entirely by Silver Chair is so strange to me. And you kinda forget how much of a dick Jesus is to them, I guess CS Lewis liked the idea of Jesus being really authoritarian! He also talks really slowly which gets on my nerves after a while.
It's a long time since I read the books now (maybe 20 years) but I don't quite remember hating Aslan quite so much

The shows also feel like they ramp up how much money is available. LTWTW is much cheaper than Silver Chair for sure - fewer sets, fewer people, worse actors. And yet at the time I only really remember LTWTW being a massive thing, I barely remember Dawn Treader/Chair being on TV at all!
I re-watched them a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it despite the cheapness. Aslan was always annoying to me, but I'd forgotten what a smug git Peter is. I'm glad they changed children halfway through. Puddleglum is very good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rottbott posted:

I re-watched them a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it despite the cheapness. Aslan was always annoying to me, but I'd forgotten what a smug git Peter is. I'm glad they changed children halfway through. Puddleglum is very good.

Yea silver chair is great entirely because of Tom Baker tbh
Peter is at least a decent actor (and is in loads of stuff later). Susan and Edmund are awful
Lucy though is the standout and it's really sad she's basically in nothing else

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Taear posted:

If only CS Lewis had written his books with more of an eye to the potential future low budget children's TV adaptation and the middle aged men who would be watching it twenty years later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched 2 episodes of this show called Accused, based on a British show. Wasn't able to easily find the original, but am still curious if it's as heavy handed and contrived to illustrate the point of each case/twist.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

konnie huq is on pointless now and doesn't seem to have aged in 20 years

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just watched the Tom Baker Hound of the Baskevilles, it owns.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

happyhippy posted:

I can 'see' the humor of it, but it's not exactly hitting.
It's like an americanised version of a UK show, the cringe that you expect from the original UK version just isn't happening in this.

Thinking about it a bit more, it seems like they're relying on the premise being funny while the jokes are just a bit poo poo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Khanstant posted:

Watched 2 episodes of this show called Accused, based on a British show. Wasn't able to easily find the original, but am still curious if it's as heavy handed and contrived to illustrate the point of each case/twist.
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/accused
Both series are on stv-player which seems to be free.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Maybe, it's a Jimmy McGovern show. I didn't know there was an American adaptation, but I don't knock his writing because even though he is blunt and rarely surprising I've yet to see something of his that I haven't enjoyed or been moved by.

If you go down that rabbit hole you're in for a treat though (especially if you like Sean Bean).

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hoping the thread might enjoy this one
https://www.dirtyfeed.org/2023/01/freeze-frame-part-1/
As deep a dive into 36 frames of The Young Ones as you'll ever read (if you indeed bother to read it)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Heavy_D posted:

As deep a dive into 36 frames of The Young Ones as you'll ever read (if you indeed bother to read it)

This is absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing

Edit: What a website. Wow.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 27, 2023

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Heavy_D posted:

This was really interesting! Can't wait for part two

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah that was a great read, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tilp posted:

If only CS Lewis had written his books with more of an eye to the potential future low budget children's TV adaptation and the middle aged men who would be watching it twenty years later.

yea that's what I'm saying you got me