Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

No Wave posted:

Because remakes sell better than new titles and are much easier to make. Its 2023 everyone is always looking for things to remake.
I like to think it's because they realized the series was killed by terrible business decisions and not just gamers getting sick of it, but yes it's just that well-made remakes and reboots are selling like hotcakes these days.

Hopefully this converts to "we'll make more Dead Space games" but unfortunately EA has a billion franchises to make remakes of before anything like that ever happens.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bit of trivia: at some early point in development the project that would become Dead Space was envisioned as System Shock 3. But apparently they changed course after seeing Resident Evil 4.

It was like, 'Everybody, get your System Shock 2 copy, play it start to finish, and let's figure out what we're going to do. Then Resident Evil 4 came out and we were like, 'Oh. No, this is the poo poo.'

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-resident-evil-4-turned-system-shock-3-into-dead-space/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dead space’s diegetic HUD was and still is extremely cool

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dead space’s diegetic HUD was and still is extremely cool

Honestly to me that was the one original idea they had.

Also I agree about remakes, they suck unless valve decides to remake Ricochet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aphex- posted:

Honestly to me that was the one original idea they had.

I think the dismemberment system deserves more credit. It was more than a gimmick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The game also has a very strong sense of physical space, with shades of Metroid Prime in there.

I feel like Dead Space wasn't necessarily a 200/10 GOAT of a game, but it was still a really drat good one. And it's not like there's a ton of amazing and successful RE4 clones out there to begin with, so the fact that they made something that actually punches up to that level says something, I think. Having come to it way later, it still held up really well even if I had misgivings about specific setpieces/insta-death bullshit...

Rinkles posted:

I think the dismemberment system deserves more credit. It was more than a gimmick.

Was it though? Don't get me wrong, using scifi mining implements as your core weapons (and the more traditional military spec gear being more awkward or mediocre outside of specific circumstances) is a fun conceit but it definitely felt like a gimmick to me. A good one that helps give the game its flavor, but a gimmick nonetheless. I feel like it probably landed a bit better on consoles where players had been acclimatized to going for headshots and the aiming was more challenging in general*, but outside of that I don't remember them actually pushing the idea all that far. But maybe my memory is failing me as usual.

*I actually constantly have to remind myself that Stasis was a thing you could use in combat rather than just for puzzle solving because on PC the difficulty of the game on normal really wasn't sharp enough to require it otherwise.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
My game is on sale right now for about five bucks: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/

It's been my pet project for a long time, it combines elements of classic fighting games with turn based gameplay. I just released a huge update today revamping the art in a major way.
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1619024941059379241

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

There's still time to screw up the PC version, which isn't released yet (I think)

sorry everyone, I took the PC Dead Space gold master into the bathroom, and I accidentally pooed on it, and now they have to replace Isaac Clarke with Frey Holland and the talking guns from High on Life

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 27, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will play the dead space remake if and only if I can make Isaac say “so THAT just happened” and similar quips ad nauseam while stomping the meat monsters

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hasn't the original dead space pc version been completely busted for at least a decade, now?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It requires some work, but is perfectly serviceable.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I played Dead Space when it first came out and didnt get very far because it was too scary for me.

I played through Dead Space 1 and 2 a bit over a year ago and had a blast with both of them. The gameplay holds up remarkably well for how old they are and they both still look pretty good.

That being said, Im not in any rush to get the remake because it looks to scary for me. Gotta wait till i get a little more dead inside before taking up the new one

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hasn't the original dead space pc version been completely busted for at least a decade, now?

its not too bad. Out-of-the-box, it has major issues with vsync and mouse aiming, but there is a fan patch that completely solves those issues and makes it perfectly playable by 2023 standards imo

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pigbuster posted:

Pizza Tower is loving perfect.

Surprisingly similar to my experience playing Monster Hunter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anyone else playing Hi-Fi Rush have the onscreen button prompts switching back to keyboard immediately when there's no controller input? like it'll say E key, I press A on the controller and it switches to the xbox button prompt then go right back to the E key

it seems to work okay but it's driving me to total distraction

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I feel like this has been a common request for years now

https://twitter.com/steam/status/1619044661838123009?s=46&t=P_Ti65X6zVDuDH4yeJlGvA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the developer of goon favorite Dark Scavenger, Psydra, announced that they are shutting down and transferring ownership of their game to a new owner :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

anyone else playing Hi-Fi Rush have the onscreen button prompts switching back to keyboard immediately when there's no controller input? like it'll say E key, I press A on the controller and it switches to the xbox button prompt then go right back to the E key

it seems to work okay but it's driving me to total distraction

I've had this issue in the past caused by Steam's Desktop controller configuration, which makes gamepad buttons double as keyboard keys. Some games seem to not be able to ignore the desktop configuration when playing the game (and it definitely happens with non-Steam games using a controller while Steam is open). Not sure if that's what's going on for you but here are instructions for disabling it:
https://github.com/Davidobot/BetterJoy/issues/991 (Look for the second option under "Two Solutions")

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 27, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fired up dead cells for the first time in a million years last night because i wanted something i could mess around with while watching tv and as part of all the updates did they do something where a bunch of stuff got relocked at the collector and had to be unlocked again? there's a ton of equipment in there i could've sworn i paid for already and it's a little disheartening because part of the reason i fell off in the first place was because the rate at which i was earning cells was dwarfed by the rate i was delivering new item blueprints/etc to the collector

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I uh, certainly never expected a Xenogears reference to be in Hi-Fi Rush.

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440

lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've had this issue in the past caused by Steam's Desktop controller configuration, which makes gamepad buttons double as keyboard keys. Some games seem to not be able to ignore the desktop configuration when playing the game (and it definitely happens with non-Steam games using a controller while Steam is open). Not sure if that's what's going on for you but here are instructions for disabling it:
https://github.com/Davidobot/BetterJoy/issues/991 (Look for the second option under "Two Solutions")
oddly now the game refuses to recognize input despite changing to controller prompts (and staying there) when i press a button

(e) i'm trying to play on gamepass, that's probably important. i've also tried exiting steam - no dice

(e) i just tried a dualsense with DS4Windows running, and that worked fine :pwn: I'm beginning to think 8bitdo controllers are, in fact, bad

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
This isn't a new release, but it didn't seem like it got thhhaat much attention on release:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/789660/Buggos/

Buggos is a fun RTS lite -- it is a bit like They Are Billions, but you are the zombies. You are a cute version of the zerg from starcraft, and start out with a hive set up near an unsuspecting human city. You build up your econ, spawn units, and try to destroy the humans before they spawn too many defenses and come kill you. It's definitely an RTS lite -- there is only one resource you get, and you can only tell all units of a type where to go roughly. E.g. you could command all your basic infantry to go to some point, and then they will more or less head there and kill what they find. So you are not going to be microing a whole ton. I think it strikes a nice balance between requiring some strategy/giving you some control while still having some strong autobattler vibes in terms of how actual combat plays out. Most of the challenge is figuring out what to build (i.e. which units) and where to send them, and balancing building up your base with attacking. It definitely captures the swarm feeling -- you are very often at unit cap, so your goal is to get your people killed on the human defenses as quickly as possible so you can pump out more.

You go through a many stage campaign where you show up at an area and are given a few different maps/scenarios to choose from. In each the humans have different defenses, and you get different rewards. Once you finish an area you head to the next, and after the giant DLC that just got released it will probably be around 6-10 hours to finish the main campaign on normal. The rewards you get are exopoints, which let you evolve through a huge tech tree, unlocking new unit types, abilities for your units etc. One thing to flag here is that selective breeding, which lets you choose which types of units spawn, is super key for the later levels.

All in all it has been fun so far! Would definitely recommend if you want a light RTS experience which still has some strategic depth/challenge. If you liked Creeperworld I think you might also like this -- even though you use more units than towers (though there are those too), it hits a similar feeling of slowly pushing back an AI enemy. If you want to get a sense of it, Splattercat has a video on it from awhile ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAdXaGSQX4

This video is a simple tutorial, and his channel shows more higher level play (as well as giving unit intros etc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oFWer8h7o&t=1s

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

oddly now the game refuses to recognize input despite changing to controller prompts (and staying there) when i press a button

(e) i'm trying to play on gamepass, that's probably important. i've also tried exiting steam - no dice

(e) i just tried a dualsense with DS4Windows running, and that worked fine :pwn: I'm beginning to think 8bitdo controllers are, in fact, bad

Fwiw I use a switch pro controller personally and I have had the exact same problem with gamepass games. I think I just take for granted how convenient Steam is for gamepad config stuff

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Fwiw I use a switch pro controller personally and I have had the exact same problem with gamepass games. I think I just take for granted how convenient Steam is for gamepad config stuff
unfortunately now the dualsense is doing the same thing where the game clearly recognizes I'm hitting buttons on a controller but doesn't actually do anything

whatever, guess i'm not going to try Hi-Fi Rush after all :(

(e) then it decided to work on the next try. i don't even loving know anymore, computers are bad

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 27, 2023

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I don’t think my eyes move fast enough for Pizza Tower holy poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Should I get Forspoken if I'm a huge sucker for janky action-RPGs and have a decent PC, but could never get more than 5 minutes into a Marvel film (I tried a couple times).

I also loved FF15 and Prototype and like games with only female protagonists.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Private Speech posted:

Should I get Forspoken if I'm a huge sucker for janky action-RPGs and have a decent PC, but could never get more than 5 minutes into a Marvel film (I tried a couple times).

There's a demo, though? Unless the demo also requires 150 GB.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I don’t think my eyes move fast enough for Pizza Tower holy poo poo

Wait til you realize that the red enemy makes you roll like a ball

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Private Speech posted:

I also loved FF15 and Prototype and like games with only female protagonists.

Demo, and also what's getting lost in the controversy over the dialogue is that it is an extremely boring and sparse open world game. It's basically just a 15-20 hour action rpg without much to do beyond the main quest.

The combat and parkour lose their novelty pretty fast, and despite the game pushing to try to try and mix it up with fancy attack styles you get faster results just spamming the effective R2 attack against the enemies.

I got spoiled on some of the story but apparently the 'twists' are so blatantly obvious your first guess will probably be correct.

I honestly got the Spiders eurojank vibe from the game, if you want a jank arpg they are the kings of that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 27, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Oh I didn't know there was a demo, I'll see what it's like, though not sure if I can see the content density of it given the demo limitations.

In terms of sparseness I'm somewhat tolerant of it but also not really? I played AC: Valhalla which I thought was really sparse and bland, but I'm currently playing Outward about which half the reviews seem to claim that it is underpopulated but I'm loving it. I thought Horizon: Zero Dawn was a bit too busy of a game, for comparison.

e: I quite like Mars: War Logs, Feary: Legend of Avalon and The Technomancer, haven't really played the other spiders ones.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just wait a couple months and forspoken will be on deep, deep discount

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Oh I didn't know there was a demo, I'll see what it's like, though not sure if I can see the content density of it given the demo limitations.

In terms of sparseness I'm somewhat tolerant of it but also not really? I played AC: Valhalla which I thought was really sparse and bland, but I'm currently playing Outward about which half the reviews seem to claim that it is underpopulated but I'm loving it. I thought Horizon: Zero Dawn was a bit too busy of a game, for comparison.

e: I quite like Mars: War Logs, Feary: Legend of Avalon and The Technomancer, haven't really played the other spiders ones.

Bound by Flame is fine up until the late game when it, for me, became unplayably hard so I just cheated in infinite health potions. Greedfall is pretty good and tries to really give you the sense of consequence for actions when you are siding with various factions or ignoring your party member's quests. The Adventuer's DLC is highly reccommened by me because early combat is a slog until the combat options really unlock, and you don't want your PC to focus on magic combat as it's pretty weak compared to the others.

Focus Interactive also publishes a couple mid-tier jank rpgs, or at least used to, but yeah Forspoken will almost certainly be 50% off come summer.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/survival-instinct?partner=nintendeal

Survival game bundle on humblebundle

$15 for

Chernobylite enhanced edition
SCUM
State of decay 2 juggernaut edition
The long dark survival edition
Volcanoids
Surroundead
Starsand

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've played a bit of the demo and I've been really enjoying it, but I'll finish off Outward first I think, maybe play some other games as well.

But drat that is one game that does not do 4k any justice, at least on standard/high. Those textures are really ugly. Might actually look better with DLSS.

The effects do look pretty great though as does the landscape in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

Bound by Flame is fine up until the late game when it, for me, became unplayably hard so I just cheated in infinite health potions. Greedfall is pretty good and tries to really give you the sense of consequence for actions when you are siding with various factions or ignoring your party member's quests. The Adventuer's DLC is highly reccommened by me because early combat is a slog until the combat options really unlock, and you don't want your PC to focus on magic combat as it's pretty weak compared to the others.

Focus Interactive also publishes a couple mid-tier jank rpgs, or at least used to, but yeah Forspoken will almost certainly be 50% off come summer.

Bound by Flame started suitably janky but after that it felt like they had only actually finished the first third and rushed everything else to a crazy extent.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Black Griffon posted:

Neato. I got it for like 85% off so I know what I'm getting into to a certain degree, but I'd like to have a good a time as possible getting to the cool stuff in the game a friend has told me about.

Never mind I lost my whole team trying to do a super early mission where I either died to three shots or several explosive drones in an open area where I had to defend a truck as fragile as me. gently caress that poo poo.

Edit: I'm still doing permadeath, but gently caress that was just stupid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fit em all up in there posted:

$15 for

SCUM
Volcanoids
Surroundead
Starsand

That's a good deal, state of decay and long dark are both really solid

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

$15 for

SCUM
Volcanoids
Surroundead
Starsand

I might be interested in Chernobylite. It differs from STALKER, right? SCUM, I'm still iffy about looking into (prob due to memes) SoD2... wait I haven't played the first one.

And the others I have no idea.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

$15 for

SCUM
Volcanoids
Surroundead
Starsand

Volcanoids is fun in coop for a short sprint through the campaign. control a giant mech with super diagetic actual control stations all over as you drill through the earth and fight robots. It is definitely not super fleshed out, but if you get it in the bundle I think it is worth a shot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sod 2 is a straight upgrade you don't need to have played the first one. I mean, it's zombies.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
oh my loving god website, let me highlight the game's name easily so I can right click google since you can't be loving ARSED to link to the steam page for each game directly

positivity edit: state of decay 2 is heaps of fun and totally worth it

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Private Speech posted:

I've played a bit of the demo and I've been really enjoying it, but I'll finish off Outward first I think, maybe play some other games as well.

But drat that is one game that does not do 4k any justice, at least on standard/high. Those textures are really ugly. Might actually look better with DLSS.

The effects do look pretty great though as does the landscape in general.

the game has severe issues for lighting and some art poo poo that you should not do after your first custom map for counterstrike or whatever got you into the industry, like obvious tiling on the nightsky stars. Thats just one extremely visible example of a constant flow of visual problems, either design or technical.

absolutely do not buy Forspoken now, even if you were able to get beyond the first 3 hours of cutscenes interrupted by 20m walking "gameplay" it's very messy all around.