Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

you still see people sort of assuming that there must have been a bunch of more massacres since bucha which for some reason have not been reported

i assume thats true on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
we know how the ukrainian forces/paramilitaries have been treating "collaborators" in areas they recapture

i would be a bit surprised if Bucha was the only and worst massacre committed by the russians against military aged males or whatever their excuse was. or is the official line that it was actually azov who killed everyone in bucha before the russians rolled in??

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

paul_soccer12 posted:

we know how the ukrainian forces/paramilitaries have been treating "collaborators" in areas they recapture

i would be a bit surprised if Bucha was the only and worst massacre committed by the russians against military aged males or whatever their excuse was. or is the official line that it was actually azov who killed everyone in bucha before the russians rolled in??

i am pretty sure that if bucha-style massacres were a common occurrence, we would've had at least one or two of the other ones publicised. it was a huge deal, there is ample interest and media attention for russian atrocities in this war - the russians have had time to clean up any crimes in kherson, but not in the north and not in kharkiv oblast - and yet, we had to make do with some scare stories about military mass graves. it also makes the 9000+ confirmed number very strange, for the same reasons.

iirc the false-flag narrative is that azov rolled in ahead of the regular ukrainian army and killed a bunch of "collaborators" which they then blamed on the russians. i don't think this sounds especially credible, and i seem to recall that there was some good satelite imaging which disproved the specific versions of this narrative put forward. imo the most reasonable interpretation is that the local russian troops were poorly led and demoralised and went on a spree of score-settling with the local population.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Busted

https://twitter.com/dojcrimdiv/status/1619038638762868746

quote:

Man Charged with Immigration Fraud for Concealing War Crime Charge in Croatia

An Ohio man was arraigned today on criminal charges related to his alleged false statements to U.S. immigration and law enforcement officials about his military service and involvement in a politically and ethnically-motivated attack on civilians in Croatia during the civil war in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

According to the indictment unsealed today, Jugoslav Vidic, 55, of Parma Heights, allegedly made multiple false statements in his successful application to become a lawful permanent resident, including falsely stating that his only past military service was in the Yugoslav Army from 1988 to 1989 and omitting his service in the Serb Army of Krajina and its predecessors from 1991 to 1995. The indictment alleges Vidic falsely stated that he had never been charged with breaking any law even though he had been convicted in absentia in 1998 of a war crime in Croatia, and falsely stated that he had never participated in killing a person because of ethnic origin or political opinion. Vidic also allegedly participated in an attack by ethnic Serb military forces in September 1991 in which Vidic singled out and took away at gunpoint a Croatian civilian who had recently shaken hands with Croatia’s then-president, Franjo Tudjman, who supported Croatian independence from Yugoslavia. The victim was never seen alive again and his body was later exhumed from a mass grave.

Vidic immigrated to the United States as a refugee in 1999. His application to become a lawful permanent resident was approved in 2005. Vidic is also accused of lying to law enforcement agents in 2017 when questioned about his immigration application. Vidic is charged with one count of possessing a green card that was procured by means of materially false statements and one count of making false statements to a federal agent. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison for the first charge and a maximum penalty of five years in prison for the second.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

paul_soccer12 posted:

the "Russia's Genocidal War of Aggression/Imperial War of Aggression/Unprovoked War of Aggression" mantra going around sure does make it hard to not to instantly think of "The War of Northern Aggression"

lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Is this like an Elon Musk thing where his fans just want him to stop tweeting?

It's funny watching you repeatedly try to frame this war as somehow being a part of the US culture war. Russia = bad = Republicans = Musk

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The Russians went out of their way not to be brutal, it’s a Bruderkrieg. Their failure to realize that since 2014 the Ukrainian state and military was deliberately filled with people who don’t share that sentiment was what cost them. The Ukrainian presidential aide said as much this past week.

What was said/got a link?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 posted:

So, a thesis about the hypothetical russian advance: it's possible character, direction, and target.

1. First of all you must understand, that the advance of RF army, if it happens, is unlikely to have a strategic character. More than likely, it will be some kind of operation, the planning of which implies achievement of some kind of operational advantages without excess effort and expenditure of resources.

2. If we throw out the propaganda about "Attack on Kiev 2.0", then on the level of strategic actions of russian military and political command things can be characterized by two criteria: eversion to risk, like in the first months of the armed conflict, and desire to conserve already achieved success drawing out the conflict. This approach is dictated by a series of limitations created by various problems of the russian armed forces.

3. Not thousands of additional soldiers, nor combat experience, can overcome the structural problems of RAF. Restructuring and reorganizing logistical systems, reforming the officer corps, integrating new doctrines will not take years, but decades.

4. Because of this reason the russian command started to change the core of its actions - directed at realizing "strategy of annihilation" and facilitating local superiority over AFU only on local sectors of the front. To put it plainly, russian general staff, from the looks of it, formed a more or less realistic understanding of its capabilities, and isn't aiming for the moon.

5. Everything described above, likely, characterizes the possible offensive. Russian command will strive to plan its actions from the point of view of limited logistical capabilities and the instability in the quality of controlling the army.

6. More likely scenario in this case is the continuation in the form "crawling" offensive on Donbas, which we can observe presently, or a new offensive on Harkov.

7. Why Harkov? First of all, it's an significant target from the point of view of media and ideology. Secondly, Harkov is relatively close to Belgorod, which is playing the part of russian "Iron Mountain" in the region: railroads and highways allow to easily concentrated forces on the city, create supply dumps, and quartering personal. Theoritcally all of this allows to even out russian problems with logistics and to amass a large force that can form an striking battlegroup.

8. All other hypothetical directions for the offensive excluding Harkov and Slavyanks-Kramatorks agglomeration have no perspectives for RFA, since the russian army localised all of its operations within the borders of Donbas - obviously, it's logical to base operational assumptions from this.

Southern Ukraine is securely blocked by Dnepr, north - deep echeloned defense, with significantly more personal, than AFU had during the Kiev defensive operation, similar situation in the Chernigiv-Sumsk direction. Any serious operation in the direction of Zaporozhya is impossible due to weak logistics and the necessary maneuver warfare.
@atomiccherry 💯
(from t.me/atomiccherry/537, via tgsa)

𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 posted:

I think, it's necessary to bring up a rather important idea - the offensive might not happen at all. Not Ukrainian, not Russian.

Regardless of the regular statements about preparations for some kind of operations of strategic level from either side, at the given moment neither AFU nor RAF seem to posses realistic capabilities for it. Best of all this thesis is supported by the fighting of the past several months - characterized by exclusively local operations, which is tangential evidence of significant exhaustion of both armies.

Striking battlegrounds for offensives - is first of all logistical systems and control of armed forces, preparation of logistics personal, competent officer cadres, and not simply concentration of hardware and people. And here we run into a significant problem - not one country in the world at a given moment has a program for preparing officers incase of mobilisation, but even for training soldiers (with the possible exception of Peoples Liberation Army of China).

For example, during the course of the summer campaign (and specifically Harkov-Izyum operation) british advisors found an interesting solution, creating ukrainian assault units by de-enforcing some AFU corps.

They came to a model of implementing company tactical groups - compact, controllable, equipped with trained personal (for small units it's easier to find and train sergeants, officers, and regulars, bringing up to a certain level of quality). Currently Ukraine is putting before itself an objective of a completely opposite character - to create a corps of tens of thousands of soldiers and thousands of units of equipment, which demands a completely different level of organisation and resources.

In the army of RFВ things are similar; it got accustomed to fighting with small units, and it allows achieving local success, like, for example, Soledar. But this approach can hardly be applied in the confines of some wide reaching operation, which requires mass.

Plans of military-political commanders can have any sort of ambitions character, but 2022 clearly demonstrated, that ambitions don't align with reality.

For this reason, the conclusion of the current story can be some kind of extremely dull scenario for the characters involved, without things like a repeat of Verdun somewhere in the swamps of Chernobyl, or a march of Abrams somewhere in the steppe of southern Ukraine.

@atomiccherry 💯
(from t.me/atomiccherry/538, via tgsa)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The thesis that Russia has systematic "logistical problems" is easily disprovable by the fact that they're outshooting Ukraine 10:1. Their real issue is the same one it has been for the entire war, which is that they don't have sufficient mass. They still haven't committed half of their 300K mobilizees but if Putin was serious about winning the war they would have had another mobilization round like 2 months ago.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

i didnt say it was the same type of cope or that the wars are similar in nature, just that the wording automatically brings it to mind

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Salean posted:

oh you're going to trust something written by a russian? in THIS thread??? :rolleyes:

new mod approved version of the periodic table

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
these guys seem cool
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1619038695927214081

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

At the same time I would say it is also very hard to see this all just wrapping up either, I don’t think Russia would want, can, or would be allowed to occupy all of Ukraine but it is also hard to see whatever being left of Ukraine to be stable enough to exist without another conflict.

Also, while I am sure attention will eventually turn to Taiwan, the US needs high stakes gamble against Moscow to “keep in the game.” It is hard to see DC give up on Sweden and Finland.

We did 20 years in the middle east and it was guchi, why can't the Russian military just maintain a presence in the same way?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
We sold our sisters and mothers into prostitution and all we got for it was hamburgers and color TV!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LvivTyler/status/1618924760360194050

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/saynodrugs/status/1619049542825160704

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Nationalism makes you stupid. Iron law

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

sum posted:

At least they're not outright fascists. Those are even more embarrassing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > Ukraine/Russia War: Nationalism makes you stupid.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1619041550054604800

Oh boy

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1619063003948933123

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
is there any political tendency more embarrassing than monarchists for a monarchy that doesn't even exist anymore?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Was just at my annual company conference (FTSE 100) and we had the former head of MI6 on to chat to us for some reason. He spoke at length (in a nose tapping way) about all the super secret stuff he got up to in Afghanistan to save it, without ever mentioning that it ended in a total defeat for the West. He then went on to talk about how the current Ukraine war was entirely due to Russian aggression and how his mob understood that Russia was inherently hostile far better than us plebs in the general public and that the war must be won at all costs.

I dunno what my point is (perhaps I should find a new company to work for) except that his speech really mirrored the whole 'Russia must be defeated even if it means nuclear war' that I've seen elsewhere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

i assume thats true on both sides

Probably true. It can be very difficult to bring war crimes to light during an active war.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Russia would probably let people immigrate to Siberia if they wanted to.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

especially if they dont

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1619033559146299394

new 90s rts cutscene from rybar

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dumbther failinger

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Another fallen hero of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1619024238966620162

He might have not been Ukrainian, but he was galician in spirit.

https://twitter.com/AdamekMiroslav/status/1619055340422832128

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
americans love turkey and think finns are fish parts

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Probably true. It can be very difficult to bring war crimes to light during an active war.

Shut up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

guylician going his own way

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1619024238966620162

https://twitter.com/AdamekMiroslav/status/1619055340422832128

Lol I was thinking, based on the haircut and the fact he's been there since 2015 it's a good chance he's a nazi, but that second pic is a little on the nose

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

is there any political tendency more embarrassing than monarchists for a monarchy that doesn't even exist anymore?

Js a monarchy that doesn’t exist anymore would have prevented all of this and the Holocaust. Seriously and sincerely, there would be vibrant communities of Jews, Poles and Russians side by side with Ukrainians in Lwow and Kiev. It just isn’t the Russian monarchy.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
got a new ukrainian student in my turkce school (not my group thank god) and I just gotta say
holy poo poo the stereotypes of their attitudes towards roma are, if anything, wildly understated jesus loving christ

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Lots of people do, there's mining and oil jobs in Siberia. Also in Chukotka and Magadan.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

paul_soccer12 posted:

Lol I was thinking, based on the haircut and the fact he's been there since 2015 it's a good chance he's a nazi, but that second pic is a little on the nose

imo that helmet has more plausible deniability on being related to nazis than that haircut

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sum posted:

The thesis that Russia has systematic "logistical problems" is easily disprovable by the fact that they're outshooting Ukraine 10:1. Their real issue is the same one it has been for the entire war, which is that they don't have sufficient mass. They still haven't committed half of their 300K mobilizees but if Putin was serious about winning the war they would have had another mobilization round like 2 months ago.

Eh, you can't reasonably doubt that Russia can supply its slow creep style of operations, but whether they could make something like the dash for Kiev work this time is very much in doubt.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vomik posted:

imo that helmet has more plausible deniability on being related to nazis than that haircut

I don’t know what you’re talking about, he could have just been a big mid-70s Bowie fan.

*finger up to earpiece*

Wait, he WHAT?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
the slow creeping style seems to be serving Russia pretty well, I don't see why you'd move away from it when it's the Ukrainians taking it in the teeth right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, he could have just been a big mid-70s Bowie fan.

*finger up to earpiece*

Wait, he WHAT?

i totally don’t remember any of these years, too many drugs you see. nothing at all