Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rad Russian posted:

The thrusters blow behind you, evaporating some normie minivan behind you at the light with the whole family inside it, as you speed away to 60mph in 1.5 seconds.

A small price to pay for the certainty that no school bus, no matter how far, no matter how tricky to reach, will remain unrammed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Flying cars do in fact exist; and they have for a while. Everyone that's successfully made one essentially says, "this is such a bad idea".

https://knockaround.com/blogs/journal/do-flying-cars-exist

I couldn't find the exact article I remember reading, but Dean Kamen, guy that invented the Segway and lots of other stuff, actually had a modern prototype about twenty years ago. It used four thrusters, and in the event of failure it could still land itself as long as at least two were still working.

The reason its a bad idea isn't because the car itself sucked; it's that a massive amount of FSD tech, flight corridors, everyone flying would need a pilot's license, fueling stations, filing flight plans, etc, etc, on and on. It's one thing if you are the one person with a flying car going to work at low altitude flight. You can avoid the helicopters and such. If you have 100,000 flying cars in a major city the chaos and destruction would be devastating.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
"poo poo, I own a rocket company and a car company. How didn't I think of combining them sooner!?" A very genius man thinking to himself

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i think when people talk about flying cars they mean the jetsons not whatever actual flying cars are

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
They are called aeroplanes

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Rad Russian posted:

The thrusters blow out of the back, evaporating some normie minivan behind you at the light with the whole family inside it, as you speed away to 60mph in 1.5 seconds.

EDIT: Musk claimed 1.1 second 0 to 60 for the Roadster with thrusters. So a correction.

1.1 second lol bullshit

rocket car is so dumb

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
everyone just flying around in cars would be a nightmare, i think if you imagine flying cars as adding vertical-ity and nothing else they could work ok. just add 'lanes' above existing roadways and you could theoretically double current capacity, while being able to easily add higher and higher lanes to increase bandwidth when necessary.

to be clear this would still be a huge nightmare of a problem (more so if musk were in somehow in charge) and the growing pains would cause endless deaths if not managed carefully, i'm just saying it moves things more in the direction of practicality than people zooming around causing 9/11s wherever they want

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why the hell did so many people decide to give an obviously stupid gently caress like Elon so much money?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Certificated pilots with hundreds or thousands of hours die on the reg by flying into clouds when they're not trained for it (and sometimes when they are) but no, let's let your average cybertruck driver take to the skies.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You know who hates flying cars

That's right, cyber hitler

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Well, he did make the space trains run on time...

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ben shapino posted:

this is it. the bottom is in, folks. we can only go up from here!

Hmmm, thinking I should have bought at this moment.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Hmmm, thinking I should have bought at this moment.

You could also have just bought like any number of china stocks

Kale
May 14, 2010

People should spam the poo poo out of Elon with the bodycam footage from the response to the Pelosi house every chance they get now. Not that he wont just try to turn it into a terrible joke but still.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Outrail posted:

Why the hell did so many people decide to give an obviously stupid gently caress like Elon so much money?

Other rich people thought they could use him to also get rich, then it got out of hand.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kdrudy posted:

Other rich people thought they could use him to also get rich, then it got out of hand.

Other rich people are so rich that money is largely meaningless to them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just watched a youtube with Spielberg and James Cameron talking about 2001 and Spielberg said "Elon Musk says that blah blah blah" like Musk was an expert or whatever, it was bad

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Squidster posted:

Strange New Worlds is actually pretty good! I've been deeply dissatisfied with everything after DS9, but Pike's crew has some good chemistry and decent writing.

Discovery is definitely pretty bad but I hope it sticks around forever just to keep tormenting chuds, who keep screaming that the show is racist because there are zero straight white males in the main cast (for the non-alien characters). :allears:

Plus they lose their minds over the non-binary character, as well as the multiple (at least three, it's been awhile since I watched it) gay characters.

Star Trek "gone woke" indeed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Doctor Who episode about congestion on a flying car motorway was pretty good

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Think about how lovely everyone who drives now is.

Give them more speed and access to three dimensions, no way this ends poorly!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How are there 15 Twitter files now?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They could have irrefutable proof of aliens and the loch ness monster in one of those twitter files and no one would care or read the thread at this point, it's hilarious.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Turns out that Truth is profoundly boring, especially in the tech sector where everything is a spaghetti of jargon and various companies playing with obscure systems to little effect on your average Joe

That's why conspiracies that take off and circulate hard on the Internet are so vague and batshit bonkers insane, people can project whatever they like onto them and the truly unhinged will run with them like they're kites

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How are there 15 Twitter files now?

They keep publishing them, but Biden keeps being not arrested, so onward

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Twitter is broken again, replies aren't working lol

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Let's play CAN'T/CAN with Elon Musk's Tesla!

CAN'T build a steering wheel or an instrument panel

CAN make a flying rocket car

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's in Protect Elon's Feelings mode, an impressive feat

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1619107316623904768?s=46&t=rW06uywWN5C2tpjpcyaJRA

“Believe it or not” lmao :thunk:

Dave Rubin is so breathtakingly stupid.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

JonathonSpectre posted:

Let's play CAN'T/CAN with Elon Musk's Tesla!

CAN'T build a steering wheel or an instrument panel

CAN make a flying rocket car

CAN'T make a self driving car that can recognise black children as obstacles

CAN make a car that can keep homeless people warm for hours better than a conventional fire drum

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'd like it if Musk keeps bringing this "highlighly explosive rocket fuel container right behind the driver" idea to SpaceX until they break down and implement it for him just to shut him up and then he goes to test it himself and ends up like Howard Hughes in the XF-11

I played that hitman level

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Entropic posted:

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1619107316623904768?s=46&t=rW06uywWN5C2tpjpcyaJRA

lmao

"there was no evidence of your bullshit claims but that doesn't mean they are bullshi!"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Entropic posted:

the reason there was a 2-3 week window was because elon demanded they clear out all the "please show me less of this person's tweets" and people angrily had to readd them over the next 2-3 weeks. then elon forgot he ever made that demand because his attention span is poo poo. so he's still trying to figure out what caused it all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
50 year old men crying to a billionaire because theyre not winning a popularity contest lmao

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

the reason there was a 2-3 week window was because elon demanded they clear out all the "please show me less of this person's tweets" and people angrily had to readd them over the next 2-3 weeks. then elon forgot he ever made that demand because his attention span is poo poo. so he's still trying to figure out what caused it all.

the fact that a large amount of their followers/views dropped right after a wave of bots were removed is probably just coincidental too

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Entropic posted:

Don't worry cat turd, we'll make these facts care about your feelings.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1619069893344903172

I can't explain it but the Mr. Tweet nickname makes me want to kill him

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

arsenicCatnip posted:

Grimes look-alike: “COULD YOU WEAR THE MR. TWEET JACKET?
JUST, UH, FOR FUN.”

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Other rich people are so rich that money is largely meaningless to them.

I think that is the ultimate conclusion to capitalisms.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

arsenicCatnip posted:

I knew it! This Musk character is actually an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted: