Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

The fact that so many people are warning about how terrible it is, but also that everyone was told yesterday what time this was getting released makes me really curious what will actually happen today. Are protests already in the works before the video comes out? Are we going to see "spontaneous" protests tonight? Just feels so different than before because Floyd came out of nowhere. This has been talked about for weeks already.

I can't tell if it's *that* much worse than the killings we've seen so far or if this is posturing to pre-emptively paint protestors in a worse light or pre-justify state violence against any protestors.

edit:

quote:

Chief Cerelyn Davis said the footage shows a "disregard of basic human rights."

I feel like this is a p apt description for all the videos we've seen already. i don't like watching people die so idk that i'll watch this one.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

... posturing to pre-emptively paint protestors in a worse light or pre-justify state violence against any protestors.
It's this

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

I can't tell if it's *that* much worse than the killings we've seen so far or if this is posturing to pre-emptively paint protestors in a worse light or pre-justify state violence against any protestors.

The SOA issued for Atlanta feels like this. Someone is 100% gonna get shot by a cop this weekend. I’m also guessing most of the “response” will be held around the Buckhead area where the more affluent stores are because of looters.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Joey Freshwater posted:

Kemp preemptively issued a state of emergency for Atlanta/state of GA this morning in light of that tape of the cops beating a man to death in Memphis.

I thought it was so they can go ham on the cop city protesters?

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1618710860196904961?t=vtLnyJAGDouXUFbifQmrtg&s=19

Might be a convenient thing either way, but yeah, even if nobody actually protests this is gonna be an excuse to do all kinds of poo poo under the guise of "people are looting!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

swickles posted:

I thought it was so they can go ham on the cop city protesters?

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1618710860196904961?t=vtLnyJAGDouXUFbifQmrtg&s=19

Might be a convenient thing either way, but yeah, even if nobody actually protests this is gonna be an excuse to do all kinds of poo poo under the guise of "people are looting!"

This is correct after a combination of federal, state, and local police murdered someone who just moments before had been asleep in his tent.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that’s probably right on both counts. I just saw a general “hey there’s a state of emergency, stay safe” thing go out, without the added context of cop city

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's going to be incredibly hosed up and there's almost certainly going to be wanton brutality from those fucks.

I'm a little sad the NFL doesn't have to handle a player revolt there if the Neutral Site AFCC game was a go for this weekend.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll forever find it funny that 2020 could be been a turning point for Black Lives Matter in a positive way… then Biden tapped Harris as VP & police spending increased nationwide.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'll forever find it funny that 2020 could be been a turning point for Black Lives Matter in a positive way… then Biden tapped Harris as VP & police spending increased nationwide.

The protests lost momentum, and Defund the Police was instantly hated by like 3/4 of the population. The movement was back to where it started by the end of the summer. Maybe it shifted views by a little bit, but not enough to have a major impact.

Increasing police funding, sadly, is a relative popular move.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/10/26/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-want-more-spending-on-police-in-their-area/

Nearly half of Americans want to increase police spending, while only 15% want it decreased. We have a long ways to go.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My friend's dad is a cop and he always gives me a weird look when I chant "gently caress the police" as he's doing nice and good things in his neighborhood . I don't get it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

The protests lost momentum, and Defund the Police was instantly hated by like 3/4 of the population. The movement was back to where it started by the end of the summer. Maybe it shifted views by a little bit, but not enough to have a major impact.

Increasing police funding, sadly, is a relative popular move.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/10/26/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-want-more-spending-on-police-in-their-area/

Nearly half of Americans want to increase police spending, while only 15% want it decreased. We have a long ways to go.

There was so much pro-police propaganda through the form of those extremely racist commercials that aired during the world series about an increase in crime, a bunch of dipshit op-eds from major newspapers about how bad it is to defund the police. It works on Gen X and boomers, maybe less so on Millennials and zoomers.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Defund was never going to make any headway. I’m all for completely dismantling the police as an organization and assigning the responsibilities they hold to different or new bodies but I also understand that is a very unpopular minority position. As much as I would love to see a sea change in the public’s view of policing, short of some sort of event that causes a level of brutality that makes the post-Floyd response pale in comparison it’s not going to happen. Instead it seems like you have to advocate for programs that take away power from the police in small ways. In Denver they started something called the STAR program which sends a mental health professional alongside a uniformed office when a 911 call is placed about someone in emotional distress. It’s a very popular program that continues to get increased funding because it’s lowered a lot of low-level crime rates and is keeping people out of jail, so it’s saving more than the cost of the program each year. The people that have STAR called on them also get access to mental health care and don’t have an arrest on their record that impedes their ability to do things like get jobs, housing etc. It’s one small part of the puzzle but if the community advocates that got STAR started can do similar things with other touchpoints between the citizenry and police you have a) less interaction with cops and b) fewer things that people can look at and say “well yeah they beat that guy to death but also they did X for me so I don’t want them to go away”. It’s maddeningly slow work and unfortunately many more people are going to be hurt or worse by police before the organization looks substantively different, but it’s what the public will hear.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Don't forget the NBA getting ready to go on strike in response to the increasing fervor of BLM protests that summer, and Obama stepping in and talking them out of it.

seiferguy posted:

There was so much pro-police propaganda through the form of those extremely racist commercials that aired during the world series about an increase in crime, a bunch of dipshit op-eds from major newspapers about how bad it is to defund the police. It works on Gen X and boomers, maybe less so on Millennials and zoomers.

I've gotten a couple of fliers for the same Dem candidate in our upcoming mayoral election here in Philly, and the top item on his list of promises is "end the culture of lawlessness that is wreaking havoc on our city". I assume that's just coded speak for putting more money into the Philly PD :v: Fortunately there's a pretty hard leftist running for city controller which has a hand in the city's budget, I hope she wins.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I love a work trip that turns into a road trip to see my friends across the state!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I spent $8 to shitpost on the internet for just over an hour on my connecting flight from Denver to St. Louis.

I am an idiot.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, the summer saw protests but the pro cop propaganda went into overdrive. It was nuts.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I spent $8 to shitpost on the internet for just over an hour on my connecting flight from Denver to St. Louis.

I am an idiot.

But did they have chicken wings?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

But did they have chicken wings?

AA, have you joined the mile high chicken wing club?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am an idiot.

I'd spend more. wherever I am I must shitpost.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I need a new puzzle. I finished my last one and then it slid off the mat while I was turning it over to back it so I can put it on my office wall. I'm almost done putting it back together so I can put it up but after that I've got no further office puzzles.

This message brought to you by my Friday afternoon unexpectedly clearing up since both of the chronically late offices I cover got thejr emergency court docs to me early.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I need a new puzzle. I finished my last one and then it slid off the mat while I was turning it over to back it so I can put it on my office wall. I'm almost done putting it back together so I can put it up but after that I've got no further office puzzles.

This message brought to you by my Friday afternoon unexpectedly clearing up since both of the chronically late offices I cover got thejr emergency court docs to me early.

I'm not wearing my glasses and initially read that as court crocs and then was like "who wears crocs to court"?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

here ya go
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Puzzle-Full-Size-x15/dp/B0BC2D827X

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

BlindSite posted:

I'm not wearing my glasses and initially read that as court crocs and then was like "who wears crocs to court"?

I have some stories about what people have worn to court. Our court is still in-person optionable and most social workers, attorneys, and clients attend via zoom so it's not as much of a thing but in the before times there would be at least a yearly reminder about approproate court attire. Crocs would generally not be appropriate for professional. Neither are short shorts and a tub top, pants with a hole in the crotch, flip flops, a giant beach hat and long t-shirt.

Some of it dumb though, like clean and nice jeans should be fine but they're not. Open toed shoes are also banned and lale professionals should wear a tie but it's not formally required.

Clients can wear what they want and I've seen folks come to court in stuff ranging from full on 3 piece suits to their actual stripper costume under a long coat since they were on their way to work. A client showed up in a white power band shirt and called me racist against my own people since I helped remove his kids from what's best described as an RV meth den that created more meth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

Also, now the real question is, why was the psych consult ordered in the first place? They aren't routine, and you don't order one just because someone has a diagnosis.

I suggested it, not sure what the official reason was.

hx of Complex regional pain syndrome, ludicrous medication regimen, has "24 official medical diagnoses."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know what I expected for the last scene of Copenhagen Cowboy, but I wasn't expecting (not really a spoiler because it's a total non-sequitur) Eastern European mob lawyer skyping with Hideo Kojima dressed as Morpheus talking about giants.

Refn giving himself a cameo as an engineer tasked with designing The Penis, But Better is pretty on-the-nose.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 27, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I am an idiot.

Where's the shitpost sir

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'm a weird puzzle person so I'll try it. I also need to get a replacement puzzle for one that did not survive the trip from my old office to my house.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I am an idiot.

How much loving money do you spend on flights every year, Christ you’re always flying!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm a weird puzzle person so I'll try it. I also need to get a replacement puzzle for one that did not survive the trip from my old office to my house.

I haven't tried this one but it looks cool, it has false edges & corners, and they have a 500 piece option if you want a bigger one!

mostly I was imagining you framing a clear puzzle to hang on the wall and chuckling at the idea though

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

T-Square posted:

How much loving money do you spend on flights every year, Christ you’re always flying!

The last 5+ months I've traveled a bit, enough where I'm seriously thinking of getting TSA pre-check.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Where's the shitpost sir

I was shitposting on Discord. :smug:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The last 5+ months I've traveled a bit, enough where I'm seriously thinking of getting TSA pre-check.

It’s very much worth it, and I don’t travel nearly as much as you.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't have TSA pre check either so I'm personally looking forward to having to take off my orthotic (since it rests inside my shoe) at security and limping my way through

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

mostly I was imagining you framing a clear puzzle to hang on the wall and chuckling at the idea though

Honestlu I probably will. It's going to be a hard one and hard ones go up unless they're stupid ugly or kinda offensive to the eyes (not content). I did avoid puting a Klimt up since it had exposed breast but that's it in terms of actual content.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reportedly nypd have shut down grand central station in anticipation of the Memphis police murder release.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Have they not released the video yet? Lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What does that have to do with New York? People act like the police nation-wide are one of those forests that actually all share one root system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Have they not released the video yet? Lol

6p cst

General Dog posted:

What does that have to do with New York?

Nypd officers never miss an opportunity for overtime

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
TSA Pre check is worth every penny and despite what it says on the site can be acquired in like 3 days. Everyone I know who did it signed up online, went to the TSA office the next day, and had the number by the next, even though it says may take up to 3 weeks or whatever. Just get it now, you won't regret it.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

General Dog posted:

What does that have to do with New York?

If the video is as bad as everyone thinks, it's going to cause huge protests in every major city in the country. I work near a police station in Boston and they had barriers delivered like 3 days ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If the pigs uparmor and spend a few days beating protestors, it was justified

If they uparmor and nothing happens, well, it was because they uparmored

Either way a bunch of poo poo heads who couldn’t make it through basic are going to make their monthly payment on a Raptor tonight.