Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Full flat 11s on my arch top. Half flat 9s on my Strat. All Dadarrio. I was going to switch the Strat to Full flat wounds, but I think I like the half flats better on that guitar specifically.

Edit: Oh. They’re called half rounds actually. Same idea.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

May check out some 9s next time I swap strings on my Schecter that I keep in e flat but it’s good to hear I’m not crazy for overall loving 10s most of the time. Honestly may swap to 10s on my D standard Ibanez too cause 11s are not my favorite, they just don’t feel right compared to 10s for some reason. I need to check the setup on that due to fret buzz anyway and I’m always looking for a reason to mess with my guitars. Pretty much just use Daddario and even tho they’re more expensive I love the NYXL strings.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

10s on everything. 10s on acoustics, 10s on 25.5s, 10s on 24.75. Flat 10s, round 10s. Tens supremacy.

(I actually just put a set of rectified trebs on my classical, and I'm trying to decide how I feel about it. I want more projection to make up for no nails, and I'm not sure this is it. They seem a bit louder, but that may just be because I'm getting treble string noise for the first time. Maybe I'll get a set of Carbons/Titaniums or something next.)

e: what I really want obviously, is a new classical guitar. Obviously.

this except for adding a 56 on the 10 set for B standard on 24.75. It's like a 7 string without the high e (also f# instead of G)

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

It's kind of silly that they give you an allen wrench to adjust your truss rod with (almost) every guitar but don't give you some way to actually measure the adjustments you would make with it. Is this like a printer/USB cable situation where the music stores want to get customers to pay for setups again and again?

"Want to change your string gauges? Has the earth continued around its orbit of the sun by another 3-6 months? Give us another $50, please."

I know that "just measure with some cut off ends of unwound strings" is a common take on the problem, but an actual set of feeler gauges is way easier to be sure about, IMO. If the set of feeler gauges I've been using for years is still available for less than $10 on Amazon, it seems like guitar manufacturers could come up with a low cost way to include a few gauges to measure neck relief at least.

(I've been using this set, btw, if anyone needs a rec: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYGIR4)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mr E posted:

How do people feel regarding string gauge? I've always used 10s for anything between E standard and D standard and 11s on my D standard guitar that I sometimes play in D drop C. I know it's all subjective besides the different tones of the strings, but I'm wondering if I'd be happier at least on my guitars above D with an 8 or a 9 gauge sets. I guess I could just swap strings and try them out (and will probably end up doing that eventually) but I thought I'd see if there was a consensus.

I just swapped strings around on my Ormsbys with locking tuners a bunch because I went through a little tension crisis. I definitely hate anything overly taught, like says 10s in standard tuning on a 25.5 guitar. I was using a set of 10-46 on my multi scale guitar in C# standard, but decided to go up a single gauge on the wound strings, so 48,38,28 instead of the usual 46.36,26. In terms of lbs, about 17-18 is the sweet spot for me, and about 13ish on the plain strings imo. A loose string feels nice for fast alternate picking on a single string but when you are quickly going from string to string it feels grossly sloppy.

In D standard on a 25.5, I think I use the same set, the 10s with the wound gauges being a size up with a 48 top string. I'm not going to mention anything in E standard because the soloist I have set up in E standard is a weird guitar. It's a 25.5 scale but I swear on my life that thing noticeably holds more tension than other guitars.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 28, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I play 9s because they're more pleasant to do bends with, and the downtuned or shorter scale guitars get an easily available equivalent that tries to approximate the tension of 9s.

My one acoustic is a Taylor GTe Blacktop, which has a 24.1 inch scale length and comes with 12s with the stated goal of trying to feel like a standard acoustic in E Flat. It is a wildly comfortable playing experience and I love the way walnut sounds so it's probably the guitar I'm second-least likely to get rid of behind the Telecaster.

I used to do regular Ernie Balls but I feel like they break more compared to D'Addarios so I switched. NYXLs are also a little nicer/brighter sounding and (more importantly) last WAY longer which lets me be lazier about string changes, which is a win. Not sure if it comes out to break even compared to normal strings over time but eh.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

9s on 25.5 scale, 10s on 24.75 scale

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Take the guesswork out as well imo. Also a lot of sets have different gauges for the other strings.

https://tension.stringjoy.com/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mr E posted:

How do people feel regarding string gauge? I've always used 10s for anything between E standard and D standard and 11s on my D standard guitar that I sometimes play in D drop C. I know it's all subjective besides the different tones of the strings, but I'm wondering if I'd be happier at least on my guitars above D with an 8 or a 9 gauge sets. I guess I could just swap strings and try them out (and will probably end up doing that eventually) but I thought I'd see if there was a consensus.

depends on the scale length of the guitar too. i like going as light as i reasonably can for a given tuning

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
13’s in standard on both electrics. Looking forward to tendinitis. Traded a Casio keyboard for a big box o strings in a CL deal, from the time cube of guitar.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

burdt posted:

13’s in standard on both electrics. Looking forward to tendinitis. Traded a Casio keyboard for a big box o strings in a CL deal, from the time cube of guitar.

You should try a set of 9s. On one guitar. Please.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's just a consequence of 1) living in a humid hellhole and 2) playing the everloving poo poo out of that guitar. You're putting a lot of wear on that thing, LG.

The nice thing about keeping 2 guitars ready to go is you always have a backup wholethr other gets worked on. Try not to get discouraged, this happens and it's always something you can work around.

i didn't realize i've played it that much. i felt like i played the telecaster more in its first year. maybe not.

that telecaster is firewood though. and the strings on it are disgusting and i don't have time/money to fix them.

the thing is the strat just needs fret leveling. maybe i'm just being paranoid but there's a big knot in the wood or where it looks like two neck pieces were grafted together right under that fourth fret, where stuff gets really weird.

in any case, at the risk of e/n, my life blew up some more and i'm basically trying to get out of this loving house as soon as possible and i have no money. so my guitars and my amp are probably going-- all the telecaster does it take up space since it plays like rear end, and in my position, the strat is like, a bad luck of the draw because i did what i shouldn't have and bought a guitar sight unseen, and not really what i want anymore. what i should have gotten a year ago and didn't, and what i'd probably get if i got a guitar again and had choice in the matter, is a hardtail mustang-- or some sort of hard tail, short scale, girly looking guitar. the strat neck is just really big for me and still heavier than i want. i'm a pretty big baby i guess, but i need everything to be as light as possible-- i'm small and not strong, but also, i just hate thinking about this stuff. often times the actual annoying physicality of playing guitar really impedes me from writing music. it's hard to want to stand there for much longer if it's sitting weirdly on my neck and i'm starting to feel some pain, you know? i'm pretty sure this strat is actually heavier than the telecaster.

and i do not want to have a guitar with a trem system ever again. i never use it, and i don't play too much lead guitar-- i'm mostly using it as a writing tool. i'm kind of a dick conductor to myself-- i just want to play the notes as i wrote them. i play it all a little bit like a piano. but what i DO do often is tune back and forth between E and Eb for the sake of positioning stuff, and so i can get the Eb2 in keys like Ab, Bb, or Eb. all of which i like a lot. having to invert around it isn't ideal. the telecaster, for all its issues, would just tune to whatever i wanted it to and stay there. especially since i want a short scale guitar, where if it's not hardtail, it has a vibrato system that's going to be a pain in the rear end to maintain.

i'd simply just rather be thinking about the music.

Mr E posted:

i have nothing to contribute that would assist you with your problem. however,

i've been using 9-46s because i thought that was the regular 9s gauge. i'd switch to 9-42s now, lol.

i like 9's a lot because i play with a light left hand and a heavy right hand. it makes sense if you realize that to the extent that i have a style on guitar, it's "jazz chords, punk strumming". so i'm going fast, and when you strum through muted strings, it's good to have them be lighter so that the THUMP isn't as loud. i mute a lot with my left hand. my strumming isn't terrible, but when you start playing stuff at 160 bpm, it gets hard to exert as much fine control. in my left hand it's often stretching and fretting a lot of notes-- usually the first part of anything i write is the guitar part with more lead/notes in it, tall chords and stuff, so i generally need to mute notes. and i kinda have music theory brain, so i find myself doing some contortions for the sake of voice leading that you probably shouldn't do, that requires some left hand muting.

i tune back and forth between E and Eb a bunch, at 25.5 inches, and i don't notice a difference in tension in either tuning, really. occasionally i've tried to learn songs in like, Db, Ab, Db, F, Bb, Eb, and it does get a little slinky, but it's rare enough for me that it's not an issue.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
9-42 or 10-46 on most electrics, 7-38 on the Les Paul (went for Billy Gibbons vibe) 10-47 on the 12 string acoustic, 16-56 on the resonator, and 11-50 flats on the archtop. Mostly Dunlop, and some are D'Addario

On the basses it gets more varied and complicated but it's most La Bella (flats) and Rotosound (rounds) and Dingwall for the one multiscale I have.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hello all, I'm fairly new to guitar, and have a very basic noob question. I've had a left-handed Squier Strat for a few years now, but I'm only just now in a stable enough situation where I feel like I can follow along with JustinGuitar, maintain a regular practice schedule, maybe find a local teacher, etc. I'm mainly using AmpliTube for amp sims and playing through headphones for the time being. I also got Guitarix working for when I'm booted into Linux, and oddly enough like its interface a little better.

My question is this: How are a Stratocaster's control knobs supposed to be indexed? Since I'm playing lefty, I assume it's all backwards from most people, so I'll describe it like this: Last night I noticed that I had somehow gotten the tone knobs rolled all the way off, and everything sounded like rear end with no treble to speak of. When I'm at max volume on the guitar, that has 2 on the knob pointing up at the bridge pickup. Full tone, jangly treble and all, has 1 on the knobs pointing at the bridge and the output jack, respectively.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

istewart posted:

Hello all, I'm fairly new to guitar, and have a very basic noob question. I've had a left-handed Squier Strat for a few years now, but I'm only just now in a stable enough situation where I feel like I can follow along with JustinGuitar, maintain a regular practice schedule, maybe find a local teacher, etc. I'm mainly using AmpliTube for amp sims and playing through headphones for the time being. I also got Guitarix working for when I'm booted into Linux, and oddly enough like its interface a little better.

My question is this: How are a Stratocaster's control knobs supposed to be indexed? Since I'm playing lefty, I assume it's all backwards from most people, so I'll describe it like this: Last night I noticed that I had somehow gotten the tone knobs rolled all the way off, and everything sounded like rear end with no treble to speak of. When I'm at max volume on the guitar, that has 2 on the knob pointing up at the bridge pickup. Full tone, jangly treble and all, has 1 on the knobs pointing at the bridge and the output jack, respectively.
Turn volume to max and put the knob on so the 10 is lined up to the pickup screw. and then line the others up to the volume by the direction of the lettering

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just line em up so the "correct number is kind of facing me. Or I use knobs that don't have numbers printed on em 💀

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You probably know but by default one tone knob is for the middle pickup and the other is for the neck. The bridge pickup doesn't need that poo poo.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Idiot talk. I have a Strymon blue sky reverberator v1 that has a 9v input. The only power supply I have on hand is 7.5v and 80mA. Would I be a complete idiot to use this supply with the pedal? Pics:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Idiot talk. I have a Strymon blue sky reverberator v1 that has a 9v input. The only power supply I have on hand is 7.5v and 80mA. Would I be a complete idiot to use this supply with the pedal? Pics:

Two strong reasons not to:
That power supply is center-positive, and the pedal wants center negative. This could go from “doesn’t work” to “goodbye pedal”.
It’s only 80mA and the BlueSky wants 300mA so it probably wouldn’t work anyway.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also it's going to be severely underpowered and definitely won't work, whether it destroys your pedal is kind of secondary.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

landgrabber posted:

what i should have gotten a year ago and didn't, and what i'd probably get if i got a guitar again and had choice in the matter, is a hardtail mustang-- or some sort of hard tail, short scale, girly looking guitar.

If you could find a farnell millennium that might tick your boxes and it’s supposed to be super light; the body is made of poly-based composite. The millennium model is angular like st vincent’s signature for musicman / sterling. Come to think of it, her signature might be a lot easier to find, though I don’t know how light it is.

I was tuned to farnell by going down the rabbit hole on this toasty CL post.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Sterling Cutlass short scale HS comes in blue/green and pink and has a 24" scale. Strat-like, but simpler and shorter. One volume, one tone, space for her JB, and she can block off that trem and never have to worry about it.

This one is very cheap and is in a Music Go Round in North Carolina
https://reverb.com/item/64746643-used-sterling-by-ernie-ball-cutlass-short-scale-hs-electric-guitar

24" scale is short, but not so short that it looks like a toy (like the Jackson Minions and the Mini Squiers at 22")

Wow, proaudiostar has them at $199. I've got g.a.s. now.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/sterling-by-music-man-short-scale-cutlass-hs-mint-green.html
https://www.proaudiostar.com/sterling-by-music-man-short-scale-cutlass-hs-shell-pink.html

duodenum fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 28, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The st vincent is extremely cool and maybe lightweight but most of them have trems and are 25.5".

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Squier Bullet Mustangs are hardtail and dual humbuckers. Body made of poplar would be nice and light. Probably need to build some money into the budget to get the nut adjusted/replaced, in addition to a normal setup. You get what you pay for at $200 new.

https://www.adorama.com/sq0371220548.html

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Major Operation posted:

Squier Bullet Mustangs are hardtail and dual humbuckers. Body made of poplar would be nice and light. Probably need to build some money into the budget to get the nut adjusted/replaced, in addition to a normal setup. You get what you pay for at $200 new.

https://www.adorama.com/sq0371220548.html

I bought one of these for my wife when she decided she wanted to learn to play - great guitar for the price. I would buy one for myself just to mess with if they came lefty :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm considering a Bullet Mustang or Ibanez Mikro to learn on for a year or so. If i could still get the Daphne Blue Mustang with orange stripes I'd do it tomorrow, alas they aren't available any more.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not one to post Beato but god drat he interviewed Steve Lukather and the dude is the most awesome, humble, friendly seeming of living guitar legends. I would love to just hang out with someone so well-traveled in the art for a couple hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBbzajS29o

Also his Music Man signature is a beautiful guitar. My first Music Man love is the classic John Petrucci, but one of these days I'm gonna get a Luke.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Is there any generic big box retailer that I can walk in and grab a 9v guitar pedal peer supply? Thinking target Best Buy etc as guitar center is a bit of a hike for me. Oh where have you gone radio shack

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Maybe if your walmart has an instrument section but I think 9v center negative is pretty specific to the musical instrument world.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Radio shack ... Oh wait.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you just need one they're like $10 but since this is the guitar thread and no one just ever has one pedal, it's worth thinking about getting a multi unit power supply

Single
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-PW-CT-9V-Power-Adapter-Sleeve-Positive/dp/B00191WVF6

Multi
https://www.amazon.com/MXR-M237-Brick-Power-Supply/dp/B00B5I9GYW/?th=1

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Since we’re talking about pedal power supplies how bad would it be to just daisy chain my pedals if I only have 3? I keep eating through 9 volt batteries.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Might be noisier, might be fine. It also depends on the amperage of the adapter and the requirements of each pedal.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you just need one they're like $10 but since this is the guitar thread and no one just ever has one pedal, it's worth thinking about getting a multi unit power supply

Single
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-PW-CT-9V-Power-Adapter-Sleeve-Positive/dp/B00191WVF6

Multi

Thanks I already have one on order from Amazon but it got delayed and I actually have time to play today and I’m impatient so…

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Kazinsal posted:

Also his Music Man signature is a beautiful guitar. My first Music Man love is the classic John Petrucci, but one of these days I'm gonna get a Luke.

HSS Luke is very high up on my bucket list. I played one a few months ago (in the guitar store) and just loved it!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
How has there been no mention that Tom Verlaine passed away yesterday? It’s a significant bummer of a day over here.

He was one of the big three that made owning a jazzmaster basically a requirement for me when I decided to finally learn to play guitar. The other two being J Mascis and Thurston Moore, probably obviously.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

How has there been no mention that Tom Verlaine passed away yesterday? It’s a significant bummer of a day over here.

He was one of the big three that made owning a jazzmaster basically a requirement for me when I decided to finally learn to play guitar. The other two being J Mascis and Thurston Moore, probably obviously.

poo poo, that is a bummer. I love Television and he was such an interesting and unique player. I guess I'm listening to Marquee Moon today.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The title track on Marquee Moon is one of my favorite guitar adjacent things ever made. This is a huge bummer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I recommend just biting the bullet and getting an isolated power supply for pedals or stick with batteries. In the end you’ll just be wasting money on the daisy chain plugs imo but ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Spanish Manlove posted:

Single

Multi

I have to say I hate how most cheap 10 or 12 output power supplies have one to two dedicated 18v outputs.