Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Y'all talking about "no crumple zone" but I was actually in a collision in a VW Vanagon. It had about 3 inches of crumple zone.

What they did instead was to install two parallel beams with a V on either end, connected to the bumper. Like this:

\---------/
/---------\

When it rammed into something, the V structures would jam the beams apart, causing a lot of heat to bend steel, and thereby absorbing some of the energy. It wasn't a great solution, but I thought it was kind of clever.

I somehow didn't break any bones in my feet when we crashed. The person we T-boned broke her pelvis and probably would have died if her car hadn't had side-curtain air bags. Another terrifying outcome from lack of safety equipment was my baby daughter's car seat submarining. It did stay in the seat, but only because I had jury-rigged a top strap to it despite no latch points in the bus. Otherwise she would have (best case) been slammed rear end-first against the front dashboard, or (worst case) been flung out the front with the windshield.

Anyway, I was extraordinarily lucky in this crash, and relying on the other car as the crumple zone isn't a good strategy.

There’s always a bigger fish, as was the case in my accident. Next daily driver is going to be a Peterbilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKXz1n4n2tk&t=28s

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

A little late to this, but congrats!

I’ve come so close to hitting the order button on one of these the last few weeks but I can’t justify to myself the extra cost considering how little driving I do lately. But I’d love one.

I’ll just sadly keep waiting for my bolt to get an allocation, which will probably be never.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In honor of his dominion, what model or brand would Satan, the Prince of Lies, drive if he chose to drive electric?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Nessus posted:

In honor of his dominion, what model or brand would Satan, the Prince of Lies, drive if he chose to drive electric?

A Hummer EV.

With after-market fender flares.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Electric hellcat, it’s coming. Hail satan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessus posted:

A gas humvee towing a cybertruck behind it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

A Hummer EV.

With after-market fender flares.
I recently watched a review of it. I was aghast throughout. What a massive, insane automobile.

https://youtu.be/TFdX6zL5h8Q

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

That’s what everyone that sends me a picture of their diseased penis says but apology accepted and I apologize as well.

:cheers:

Vegetable posted:

I recently watched a review of it. I was aghast throughout. What a massive, insane automobile.

https://youtu.be/TFdX6zL5h8Q

I want one. Not going to buy one though, even if it were for sale in the UK (which it isn't). It's absurd and totally useless for doing anything in this country at least. Still want one though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Did someone say something about a tesla in snow? I know about teslas in snow:

In all seriousness, it handles significantly better than my parents nissan altima front wheel drive if you drive them back to back, but I think that might have a little to do with the tesla being on actual pirelli snow tires vs some goodyear all seasons on the altima that I am extremely unimpressed by. However even the first winter when I only had the standard michelin all seasons the tesla still felt like it had a lot more grip/turning/braking authority than the altima does. When shuffling vehicles around to make room for snow removal at low speeds like navigating the driveway or moving to a different parking space, the tesla just works and moves through several inches of snow almost like there isn't any there at all while the altima is spinning its wheels enough that it feels dangerously close to getting stuck.

Honestly the most frequent annoyance with the model 3 in winter is how often the doors/windows get frozen shut which makes it so much more of a pain just to get in to it. Once you are in it, then it is totally fine or maybe even a little too good since it will easily get moving through snowy conditions bad enough that one straight up shouldn't even be out driving in them in the first place.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

... I think that might have a little to do with the tesla being on actual pirelli snow tires vs some goodyear all seasons on the altima

:colbert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Honestly the most frequent annoyance with the model 3 in winter is how often the doors/windows get frozen shut

Yeah. This is annoying. Have you ever had the charger get stuck? I feel like my charging port might be heated? Not sure.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Yeah. This is annoying. Have you ever had the charger get stuck? I feel like my charging port might be heated? Not sure.
Nope, the charging handle has never frozen in place even after a significant freezing rain event. The charge port cover sometimes requires a bit of cleaning and plain old manual assistance to close, but the handle has never gotten frozen into the port. I recall that used to be an issue but a couple winters ago tesla pushed a software update that made the locking pin release any time it is cold enough outside unless the vehicle was actively charging. So it plugs in, locks, starts charging and when it is done the lock releases (where it used to stay locked in sync with the doors). You can try it yourself on your tesla even, once it is all charged up and asleep at home, go up without your phone and pull the plug, it should just come right out.

Also IIRC the charge port isn't heated directly but running the defroster for any reasonable length of time makes warm air pass by it from inside the vehicle. Like the cabin vent is deliberately placed right near the charge port so it melts snow and ice off of it as the air is vented out.

Edit: oh yeah, one more thing: I turn off the mirror auto-fold usually by the end of October and don't turn it back on until April because they can also freeze folded but that is not just a tesla thing.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 28, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Why do auto-fold mirrors exist? It seems like a lot of complexity and moving parts to make the car a wee bit narrower when parked.

I was charging the Leaf at a Walmart the other day, and an older ICE Kia pulled up next to me and parked, and the crunching/grinding/loud whining noises made me physically wince.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I dunno. The Polestar 2’s fold in like a quarter inch.

I’d rather have tech that keeps the hatch from bashing the gently caress out of itself when opening in a parking garage with low ceilings.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hail satan

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Did someone say something about a tesla in snow? I know about teslas in snow:

In all seriousness, it handles significantly better than my parents nissan altima front wheel drive if you drive them back to back, but I think that might have a little to do with the tesla being on actual pirelli snow tires vs some goodyear all seasons on the altima that I am extremely unimpressed by. However even the first winter when I only had the standard michelin all seasons the tesla still felt like it had a lot more grip/turning/braking authority than the altima does. When shuffling vehicles around to make room for snow removal at low speeds like navigating the driveway or moving to a different parking space, the tesla just works and moves through several inches of snow almost like there isn't any there at all while the altima is spinning its wheels enough that it feels dangerously close to getting stuck.

Honestly the most frequent annoyance with the model 3 in winter is how often the doors/windows get frozen shut which makes it so much more of a pain just to get in to it. Once you are in it, then it is totally fine or maybe even a little too good since it will easily get moving through snowy conditions bad enough that one straight up shouldn't even be out driving in them in the first place.

My favorite winter Tesla story is when my brother's passenger window shattered when he closed the drivers door. Wait no him being charged for it when it was definitely in warranty is the best part.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow is my R1T in snow mode on snow tires. All motor drive is a serious game changer but also very expensive. :v:

The worst was my 1991 MR2 on summer tires. Even at 5MPH that thing wanted to do a 180. Luckily I was only moving it down the street. These days, if I still had the car, I would have trailered it for the 1 mile journey. To be 20 and dumb again. :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 28, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Why do auto-fold mirrors exist? It seems like a lot of complexity and moving parts to make the car a wee bit narrower when parked.

:hai:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Hail satan

:hai:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah auto fold mirrors suck and I disable that poo poo. Only time I fold em is at the carwash.

I realize this is probably an AI sin taking your car thru a carwash but gently caress it I'm lazy (and cheap)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah auto fold mirrors suck and I disable that poo poo. Only time I fold em is at the carwash.

I realize this is probably an AI sin taking your car thru a carwash but gently caress it I'm lazy (and cheap)

I tried the whole proper wash and clay bar and wax thing for a few months and now I just pay for a local car wash membership because it's not loving worth it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried the whole proper wash and clay bar and wax thing for a few months and now I just pay for a local car wash membership because it's not loving worth it

Is it one that you drive into with the brushes etc or people wash it?

I should also say I drive a kia crossover so I’m not gonna be that fussed about the paint anyway

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Timbs posted:

I did that for a couple years when I had an easy fuckoff government job but when I had actual responsibilities yeah I just get the thing washed by a machine. Oh no the paint. My dudes, every day that I don't get actually killed by some fuckwad driving 55 in a half totaled Kia with 2 year expired temp tags down a bike lane through stop signs on surface streets is a good day. Paint scratches are just not a concern.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Is it one that you drive into with the brushes etc or people wash it?

I should also say I drive a kia crossover so I’m not gonna be that fussed about the paint anyway

It has folks doing the pre-rinse and drying but brushes for the rest of it. I don't care much about the swirlies, Virginia red clay dust covers the whole drat car in an hour anyway.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Mach E chat, I'm in a 21 and they recently did an update that says it has improved the guessometer and made it more accurate. It's now telling me 200 miles at 90% in the near freezing. I am on the one hand pretty sure it used to be too conservative, but on the other hand I'm pretty skeptical here. I'm not changing my driving habits over it or anything but does anyone know what the deal is? Is this "yeah okay we were too conservative here's a better guessometer" or is this "gently caress it that's an old model let's just make it look better who cares" or what's up?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Paramemetic posted:

Mach E chat, I'm in a 21 and they recently did an update that says it has improved the guessometer and made it more accurate. It's now telling me 200 miles at 90% in the near freezing. I am on the one hand pretty sure it used to be too conservative, but on the other hand I'm pretty skeptical here. I'm not changing my driving habits over it or anything but does anyone know what the deal is? Is this "yeah okay we were too conservative here's a better guessometer" or is this "gently caress it that's an old model let's just make it look better who cares" or what's up?

It depends on the milage/cycle count and the original capacity of the battery pack, but cold does a number on energy storage. To the tune of 10-30% range reduction. It's probably a little on the conservative side, but I wouldn't expect much more range than that.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It depends on the milage/cycle count and the original capacity of the battery pack, but cold does a number on energy storage. To the tune of 10-30% range reduction. It's probably a little on the conservative side, but I wouldn't expect much more range than that.

Well that's just it. I'm used to and expect closer to 160 at near freezing. I'm skeptical that it's that high but I assumed before it was being overly conservative.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Well that's just it. I'm used to and expect closer to 160 at near freezing. I'm skeptical that it's that high but I assumed before it was being overly conservative.

Drive the car and find out. Don't plan on going farther than 160, just in case.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I got the update as well (2021 Premium ER AWD) and after doing a charge to 80%, it says I have a range of 240 miles. Which is absurd since my previous estimate was around 190; I live in the Bay Area so it’s not that cold but still..

Also I’m not fond of the update. There’s so much waste of space on CarPlay, I liked the ability to shrink the screen and utilize more info. For example:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There was a requests board put up today at work, people were writing normal stuff like "free snacks", but someone wrote "free EV charging" and there were like 20 +1s next to that so here's hoping

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RE carwash chat: Auto car washes are fine if they are touchless. Yes, they aren’t as thorough as the ones with brushes, but the one with brushes just had a F250 that went mudding with a shitload of rocks and twigs and poo poo on it and now those are embedded in the brushes. Accept the mediocre touchless carwash.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

There was a requests board put up today at work, people were writing normal stuff like "free snacks", but someone wrote "free EV charging" and there were like 20 +1s next to that so here's hoping

Hell yeah. I only use the one at my work maybe 4 times out of the year but it beats having to visit a fast charger.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

I was charging the Leaf at a Walmart the other day, and an older ICE Kia pulled up next to me and parked, and the crunching/grinding/loud whining noises made me physically wince.

Cause some parts of the world would consider the average yank town road a highway, lots of historic roads are horse cart sized here so with these new super wide cars you need to fold mirrors. It's a common newspaper filler to report when a tourist gets their rental stuck, or if someone with a new car doesn't understand the change of width eg https://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/2017/11/07/foto/turista_como_auto_incastrata-180517684/1/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I was gonna say that folding mirrors are generally more useful in foreign places or the few cities in the US that have narrow streets or parking. I also had a garage from ca 1910 that was a wonderful width for a Model T but less wonderful for an e39. Folding mirrors gained me about 2 inches on each side which probably doubled my clearance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Most people don't live on tiny medieval streets but it can be still useful if you don't want them sticking out or if someone (including you..) parked too close to another car. Auto-folding is a bit of a luxury but they're putting motors into everything now so whatever.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FlapYoJacks posted:

RE carwash chat: Auto car washes are fine if they are touchless. Yes, they aren’t as thorough as the ones with brushes, but the one with brushes just had a F250 that went mudding with a shitload of rocks and twigs and poo poo on it and now those are embedded in the brushes. Accept the mediocre touchless carwash.
:yeah:

Like I don't care that my car is not 200% sparkling clean, just getting the major dust off the body and bugs off the window is good enough because it is parked outside 100% of the time so it is never going to stay clean. During summer I have a small electric power washer with a foam cannon that I use, but it is somewhat annoying because we have very hard water and it spots up unless you dry it immediately. So generally the best time to wash the car is just before it rains, or even better between rain when it has already been soaking for a while. Most dirt/bugs come off a lot better when it has been soaking wet for an hour or more already, and the rain rinses the hard water off which keeps it from spotting up.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hell yeah. I only use the one at my work maybe 4 times out of the year but it beats having to visit a fast charger.

My job is remote now but I still go into the office Monday and Friday just to charge up before and after the weekend since I have no charging at my apartment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

McPhearson posted:

My job is remote now but I still go into the office Monday and Friday just to charge up before and after the weekend since I have no charging at my apartment.

Boss makes a dollar
While I make a dime
That’s why I poop charge my EV
On company time

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Any Europe goons have experience with the VW ID.BUZZ? I’m looking at getting that next year as my first EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlowBloke posted:

Cause some parts of the world would consider the average yank town road a highway, lots of historic roads are horse cart sized here so with these new super wide cars you need to fold mirrors. It's a common newspaper filler to report when a tourist gets their rental stuck, or if someone with a new car doesn't understand the change of width eg https://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/2017/11/07/foto/turista_como_auto_incastrata-180517684/1/

I can see why that'd be super useful, but I meant more the feature that folds them in when you turn the car off. Guess if you're gonna have a "fold the mirrors" button you might as well have the car do it automatically when parked to look cool and protect the mirrors?