Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The missile truck looks like an up armored F-150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe the brodozer culture is a secret gov plan to stage for a rapid conversion to war economy in the near future and pump out billions of actual ford self propelled rocket launchers

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Danann posted:

chinese missile trucks and spaag looks cool ngl

Dang that's sick. Video showing it shoot down multiple drones at once.

http://twitter.com/OedoSoldier/status/1592131815300825088

From this pretty interesting article here, which also mentions it has an integral radar. Looks like this is China's answer to suicide drones.

https://eurasiantimes.com/edited-china-unveils-new-shorad-system-armed-with-missiles/

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

atelier morgan posted:

also a reminder that the space force exists haha

Imo it's a way to fence off space crimes from the Air Force, which by virtue of being much larger, is more prone to leaks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weka posted:

From this pretty interesting article here, which also mentions it has an integral radar. Looks like this is China's answer to suicide drones.

https://eurasiantimes.com/edited-china-unveils-new-shorad-system-armed-with-missiles/

CRAM's been the answer to drones for a while now

the real innovation here is strapping it to AFVs to make SPAAGs

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jan 28, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Weka posted:

nah, China’s answer to suicide drones is more and better suicide drones.

https://youtu.be/Ma3ya_lqCLM

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

china's answer to suicide drones is improved mental healthcare for drones

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Imo it's a way to fence off space crimes from the Air Force, which by virtue of being much larger, is more prone to leaks.

it’s probably also connected with the whole NASA going back to the moon thing. I mean next year will be Artemis 2 and 3 is 2025.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s probably also connected with the whole NASA going back to the moon thing. I mean next year will be Artemis 2 and 3 is 2025.

I still can't believe it's real. They're doing pre-Apollo 8 equivalent missions already and I can't believe they're telling the truth and it's actually happening.

JWST is like, the only thing I feel is going right at all anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

China will get there first

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t see anything manned on their schedule until after 2028.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

nah, china's going pretty slow with its lunar program

which is encouraging imo, considering they are aiming for a lunar surface station rather than just recreating apollo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

skooma512 posted:

I still can't believe it's real. They're doing pre-Apollo 8 equivalent missions already and I can't believe they're telling the truth and it's actually happening.

JWST is like, the only thing I feel is going right at all anymore.

I'll believe it when it happens. W was talking about it in 2003, so it's been in the works longer than the combined length of Mercury Gemini and Apollo

Slavvy posted:

drat they figured out time travel??

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

atelier morgan posted:

which is encouraging imo, considering they are aiming for a lunar surface station rather than just recreating apollo

so is Artemis that’s 2027 with 4.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I 100% believe the dying capitalist empire will deliver on it's promises fully and on time, I am very smart

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I 100% believe the dying capitalist empire will deliver on it's promises fully and on time, I am very smart

eh, artemis might get there first and whatever, china's not trying to race

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
the Artemis program is bullshit cause they have aspects named poo poo like Orion and Lunar Gateway but other things named HLS (human landing system)

can we get some loving aesthetic unity

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the two superpowers involved in the new cold war are absolutely not trying to race, how silly of me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
id like to goto the moon base

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
well establishing a long term manned Lunar base is a marathon not a sprint

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Smythe posted:

I want to go to the Sun on one of those Icarus ships from Sunshine

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the two superpowers involved in the new cold war are absolutely not trying to race, how silly of me

oh no the us is very much racing

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

atelier morgan posted:

oh no the us is very much racing

it’s this. this is almost certainly why it finally happened again.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Smythe posted:

Just think there is a non zero chance newt taking up moon bases led to Trump signing it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i think the us desperately wants a new cold war with all the shiny bits and china could not give less of a poo poo, having correctly assessed that there is basically no similarity in their material circumstances compared to the ussr

their space program is not trying to keep up with the us any more than they are trying to match the us missile arsenal

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Jan 28, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The ccp have read theory and therefore understand that they are in a life or death struggle with capitalism whether they want to be or not

Whether they think going to the moon is part of this or not idk

Weka
May 5, 2019

USA may beat China on a bunch of firsts but I've got the feeling the Chinese space program will be more productive.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

so is Artemis that’s 2027 with 4.

Isn't it an orbital station?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

CRAM's been the answer to drones for a while now

the real innovation here is strapping it to AFVs to make SPAAGs

For comparison Phalanx CIWS is 6 tons.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

the Artemis program is bullshit cause they have aspects named poo poo like Orion and Lunar Gateway but other things named HLS (human landing system)

can we get some loving aesthetic unity

be careful you are summoning elon musk

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

um??? lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
that is clearly a dick and balls

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
watching that thing test fire each night was pretty neat ngl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZbV3xr5Kk

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Isn't it an orbital station?

you’re right now that I’ve looked it up.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
china's trying to crack ISRU if anything their schedule is too fast and will get delayed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that the USSR won every other stage of the "space race" except the US arbitrarily set the finish line at "man on the moon" because that was the only one they managed to do first

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reminder that the USSR won every other stage of the "space race" except the US arbitrarily set the finish line at "man on the moon" because that was the only one they managed to do first

Thats because we're smart

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A Bakers Cousin posted:

watching that thing test fire each night was pretty neat ngl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZbV3xr5Kk

Now there's missiles/interceptors and also C-RAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZJC9gmXyo

And a prototype to basically throw the entire M-LIDS systems onto a stryker.

It looks very GI Joe toy.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jan 28, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Even Nature wants the US to lose WW3

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/01/27/us-navy-suspends-work-at-four-west-coast-dry-docks-over-seismic-risks/

quote:

They stressed there is “no immediate risk” and that this step is strictly preventative, allowing a team of more than 100 experts to more fully study the four dry docks and better understand what mitigation steps are required for longer-term safety.

All four dry docks are currently empty and do not have any imminent submarine maintenance availabilities planned, the officials said. The team has the support of Navy leadership to move as quickly and safely as possible to get the dry docks operational again and minimize the impact to the fleet.

This disruption comes at a time when the submarine force is already strained — 18 attack submarines fleetwide are in a maintenance period or pierside waiting to enter one, nearly double the number of subs that should be sidelined for maintenance, per Navy scheduling assumptions.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Weka posted:

Space Force motto: "to protect space from usaf's out of control meth problem"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

war in the east grognard game except every unit is HQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

US also got a satellite out of the solar system first :eng101: