Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BigFactory posted:

By outer sleeves, do you mean bags? I started doing that when the sleeve was damaged enough that I didn’t want to take the LP in and out and make the splits worse, but it was so much more convenient that I just do it with every record now, basically.

Yeah, newborn brain is tanking my vocabulary. It's a lot easier with the bags I've got, especially for double gatefold albums.

I need to post my record fair pick-ups sometime soon. It's been years since I've had a working turntable (and about as long since I had to see a bunch of my LPs for rent money) and now I have disposable-ish income which is a dangerous combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BigFactory posted:

By outer sleeves, do you mean bags? I started doing that when the sleeve was damaged enough that I didn’t want to take the LP in and out and make the splits worse, but it was so much more convenient that I just do it with every record now, basically.

Same.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Samfucius posted:

Hey, I showed up here a few weeks ago as a total newcomer asking for tips trying to deal with a Crossley-clone record player that just hated certain records, skipping constantly, while other records played perfectly. You guys made some good suggestions like cleaning the records even more carefully, but there was a general consensus that the player was trash and probably unfixable without massive jank. Someone suggested tracking force being the problem, and the follow-up suggestion that I tape pennies to the cartridge as ballast made me smile.

Well, that last bit was right on the money. The problem records were bass-heavy, and the problem spots even more so, and the needle was popping out of the groove. I never taped pennies to anything, though. Instead I shelled out for an AT LP120x(BT-USB), and as soon as I set it up properly (which was a lot of fun) everything started purring.

idk about Crosleys but most turntables let you adjust the tracking force which does the same thing. fwiw I'd only do this on the skipping records since increasing tracking will wear on the records. also you don't really need to tape it. it'll stay on.

one thing I found amusing was when Autechre's LP5 was reissued there were a bunch of complaints about skipping on the first side. it's not a bad pressing - the bass levels on that album, especially the first 2 tracks, are just so insane they can cause the needle to jump out of the groove. luckily it doesn't happen on mine (I have the AT-120 as well) but I do have a record which does skip for that reason - Lost and Safe by The Books, right at the end of "None But Shining Hours". its one of the last records youd expect to have this issue.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

god i got this a while back and this is one of my favorite LPs i have now, early digital can be variable (and yeah it's dumb to not listen to it on streaming) but it's such a good performance of a composer more people should know

Oh wait I have the movie soundtrack. Directed by Franz Waxman.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mail day! Luigi Tozzi Deep Blue Volume 2 and 3, really excellent deep progressive techno

And a download for Mohlao - Cut which is also excellent

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey thread, dumb question. I bought a copy of Boston's first album, I didn't notice that the gatefold cover doesn't actually have anyplace to put the record, it's not really a jacket, just printed cardboard. I'm guessing it's a reissue. Is that right?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

Hey thread, dumb question. I bought a copy of Boston's first album, I didn't notice that the gatefold cover doesn't actually have anyplace to put the record, it's not really a jacket, just printed cardboard. I'm guessing it's a reissue. Is that right?

Uh, are you sure it's their self titled and not Don't Look Back? Their first album didn't come in a gatefold.

I'd be curious what's even printed on the inside.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Uh, are you sure it's their self titled and not Don't Look Back? Their first album didn't come in a gatefold.

I'd be curious what's even printed on the inside.

Oh, no it's don't look back, sorry! So this is how they distributed it eh?

I'm now getting ready to put about 50 records up at SA mart, including Don't Look Back and I would like some advice on pricing. I'm trying to make quick sales and not be a scalper type here but a few of these may be more valuable than others.

Here is a link to my provisional list of records for sale.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zWoTVjX4ZTo3Hcx37

I'm thinking of having 2 pricing tiers for records and then box sets get their own pricing. And I'm thinking I'll have some kind of deal where you like have real cheap prices but you have to buy a few. Any suggestions?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

Not as far as I know. Mine has a spot for the record. Maybe someone glued your sleeve together?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Not as far as I know. Mine has a spot for the record. Maybe someone glued your sleeve together?

I'm photographing records to sell, if I spot it I'll get another look at it and maybe take a picture.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

I'm thinking of having 2 pricing tiers for records and then box sets get their own pricing. And I'm thinking I'll have some kind of deal where you like have real cheap prices but you have to buy a few. Any suggestions?

Sell the lot as an accurate representation of a circa early 2000's thrift store record bin.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Good birthday yesterday, managed to snag Mr. Bungle/Melvins tickets, saw Sunn O))), grabbed one of their double-sided posters and came home to a new record. :rock:

God the new Christeene album is so good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I'm now getting ready to put about 50 records up at SA mart, including Don't Look Back and I would like some advice on pricing. I'm trying to make quick sales and not be a scalper type here but a few of these may be more valuable than others.

I’d buy a handful of those

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I’d buy a handful of those

Well I'm looking for pricing advice. And since nobody's been forthcoming with that, ahem, sporklift, I was gonna say like 2 pricing tiers, one for like 3 for 30$ and one at 5 for $30, shipped. Does this seem reasonable? Or is that too high?

And I figured this is the stuff that would sell the most readily. This isn't representative of my tastes necessarily.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Well I'm looking for pricing advice. And since nobody's been forthcoming with that, ahem, sporklift, I was gonna say like 2 pricing tiers, one for like 3 for 30$ and one at 5 for $30, shipped. Does this seem reasonable? Or is that too high?

And I figured this is the stuff that would sell the most readily. This isn't representative of my tastes necessarily.

Well, i guess I’d put it this way: I would buy the 2 king crimsons and the Idiot for 30$ in a second. There are very few other records there that I would pay anything for, so I think trying to do a blanket price is either selling your stuff too cheap or committing to only selling a couple of the good ones in there.

Edit: saying that there are very few I would pay for is an exaggeration. There are probably 10 that I would be interested in if I didn’t already have some of them. But there are a lot of $1 records in there too

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 28, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Well, i guess I’d put it this way: I would buy the 2 king crimsons and the Idiot for 30$ in a second. There are very few other records there that I would pay anything for, so I think trying to do a blanket price is either selling your stuff too cheap or committing to only selling a couple of the good ones in there.

Yeah, well that's the pricing tier I would have given them too. Which I think is pretty cheap for those particular records. Would you or anybody else here suggest using current Discogs pricing or something like that?

ed: and if you like those King Crimson you should probably consider getting those Tangerine Dream albums. Cyclone is a serious fav for me.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

Yeah, well that's the pricing tier I would have given them too. Which I think is pretty cheap for those particular records. Would you or anybody else here suggest using current Discogs pricing or something like that?

ed: and if you like those King Crimson you should probably consider getting those Tangerine Dream albums. Cyclone is a serious fav for me.

I'd probably take discogs median price and knock around 30% off for sa-mart. Just be up front about condition if any are scratched up and price them even lower.

But yeah I agree with the poster that said if you do a flat cost you'll just get rid of all the best albums and that's it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

I'd probably take discogs median price and knock around 30% off for sa-mart. Just be up front about condition if any are scratched up and price them even lower.

But yeah I agree with the poster that said if you do a flat cost you'll just get rid of all the best albums and that's it.

Okay, that sounds good, I hardly ever go to discogs.

And though I don't discuss it a lot, the real heart of my collection is some 250 ethnic and belly dance records. Nearly every belly dance record made in the US in the 20th C outside of private pressings. If anybody wants to talk about buying them as a lot, PM me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hahahahahahaha hell yeah, today was a fine day for mail

Didn't expect it to be a picture disc, and had specifically skipped other eBay sellers for it because they all listed as picture discs. Plays just fine though so I'm not complaining :black101:

And the best Ministry album :colbert:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

petit choux posted:

I'd be interested in the Donald Fagan, Black Sabbath and any other metal albums you might have.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

I'd be interested in the Donald Fagan, Black Sabbath and any other metal albums you might have.

Well I'll consider all these as dibs and I have at least a couple good Judas Priest, incl Rock O Rolla, in G or G+ condition by goldmine standards I guess. I'll probably just put "sold" next to the pic initially. But today I'm going to take as many pics again, order more shippers and move all the pics to imgur

And C3P0 or whatever wanted that Dusty album, I promised it to him. And whatever was on the previous page too if you like, though Imma straight up give this thread and my other cronies and homies preference and first pick. There's gonna be another 50 more added today and oh yeah, order the mailers. ED: got them.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 28, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pre-orders just went up for the reissues of Danny Elfman's So-Lo and Oingo Boingo's Dark at the End of the Tunnel! :hellyeah:

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/online-store

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 28, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I bought a thing for myself. I didn't get a crazy good deal but I paid less than the median on Discogs so I'm happy enough. Sounds amazing. It's probably my favorite album of all time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I bought a thing for myself. I didn't get a crazy good deal but I paid less than the median on Discogs so I'm happy enough. Sounds amazing. It's probably my favorite album of all time.

I've been considering that box

but probably my vinyl white whale is the hut records 3LP pressing with the alternate running order - i really hope that version is the original intended track listing (and not some weird "we're changing things without consulting the band, we're a record label on a different continent, whee" thing), because it really does make a lot more sense than the standard 2CD version that became the version that the rereleases used

so I've hemmed and hawed about it

I probably would have bought the box straight out when it came out if I wasn't vastly underemployed at the time, but that's the nature of the hobby

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hexwren posted:

I've been considering that box

but probably my vinyl white whale is the hut records 3LP pressing with the alternate running order - i really hope that version is the original intended track listing (and not some weird "we're changing things without consulting the band, we're a record label on a different continent, whee" thing), because it really does make a lot more sense than the standard 2CD version that became the version that the rereleases used

so I've hemmed and hawed about it

I probably would have bought the box straight out when it came out if I wasn't vastly underemployed at the time, but that's the nature of the hobby

I actually did some research into that (and even have a Spotify playlist of the album, with the two extra tracks, in that running order). Apparently the CD track order is the 'right' order. They rearranged the songs to fit on three albums nicely, is all. The newer box set is four LPs and has been remastered and according to reviews I've read, sounds way better than the original LPs and CDs.

I just finished listening to it and it indeed sounds amazing. I didn't compare it to anything but by itself, it's definitely a great sounding pressing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CornHolio posted:

I actually did some research into that (and even have a Spotify playlist of the album, with the two extra tracks, in that running order). Apparently the CD track order is the 'right' order. They rearranged the songs to fit on three albums nicely, is all. The newer box set is four LPs and has been remastered and according to reviews I've read, sounds way better than the original LPs and CDs.

I just finished listening to it and it indeed sounds amazing. I didn't compare it to anything but by itself, it's definitely a great sounding pressing.

What is it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

petit choux posted:

What is it?

The box set remaster of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hell yeah, picked this up today.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

z0331 posted:

Hell yeah, picked this up today.

Oowee, that dude looks just like Buddy Holly!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Pre-orders just went up for the reissues of Danny Elfman's So-Lo and Oingo Boingo's Dark at the End of the Tunnel! :hellyeah:

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/online-store

Between this and White Stripes Elephant XX I am in over $100 for next payday. God this sucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

Between this and White Stripes Elephant XX I am in over $100 for next payday. God this sucks.
I spent waaaaay too much money on bullshit this month (including tickets to Mr. Bungle /Melvins :rock:) with the excuse that my birthday was coming up. Now that it's over it's PBJs for every other dinner for probably a month, I'm so dang poor.

At least it was for dope poo poo. Got a Neptunian Maximalism record on the way. The gatefold is rad as hell:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I spent waaaaay too much money on bullshit this month (including tickets to Mr. Bungle /Melvins :rock:) with the excuse that my birthday was coming up. Now that it's over it's PBJs for every other dinner for probably a month, I'm so dang poor.

At least it was for dope poo poo. Got a Neptunian Maximalism record on the way. The gatefold is rad as hell:

Wow I'm likin this artwork, I love Chinese dragons

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Sold a neglected kayak and hit up one of the local shops.

Emeralds - Solar Bridge
Four Tet - New Energy
John Carroll Kirby - Dance Ancestral
Lovage - Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By
Polo & Pan - Caravelle

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

petit choux posted:

Wow I'm likin this artwork, I love Chinese dragons
Probably my favorite album artwork going down today:

:nws: :nws:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

In addition to Dusty in Memphis I'm interested in Cosmo's Factory, Creedence, and Cyclone and the Sorcerer soundtrack (if Big Factory doesn't want them). The pricing tiers you mentioned below are pretty reasonable. Classic rock albums really ought to cost no more than ten bucks. A lot of that stuff you have there is the stuff that kicks around thrift stores and should cost no more than 1-5 bucks. The Idiot, Taking Tiger Mountain, and The Specials are probably the best finds there. Generally anything punk related or "alternative" is going to be more in demand. The Springsteen record is a bootleg which are also popular with collectors and have decent value to them depending on a few different factors (mainly the sound quality and if the show is especially good or significant in some way, rarity, etc). Prices for them can be all over the place so I'd suggest consulting popsike. Discogs will tell you nothing there because they barred the sale of bootlegs.

caligulamprey posted:

God the new Christeene album is so good.

I was introduced to Christeene because you mentioned her here a couple years back. I was made an instant fan and the new album didn't disappoint. It's got some huge no wave influence going which I absolutely love and was not expecting. Thank you so much for bringing Christeene to my attention.

pwn posted:

I'm curious to see if he releases this new mono mix on black vinyl with the :siren:VAULT EXCLUSIVE:siren: version just being the one with the colored discs. It's an interesting idea to remix the album in mono but 75 bucks for what's essentially a novelty version of the record is a bit steep for me. I have the mono Icky Thump and it's not exactly some big revelation. I got every vault up to a certain point but after a while they got really lackluster and I just said "I have enough of this poo poo already.". As much as I love the White Stripes and live records after a while you get the idea. The White Stripes Live in Mississippi, which turned out to be their last show, is an absolute essential if you're a fan of the band and it blows my mind that it wasn't given a regular release. IT's not just a good live record it's easily in the top tier of their albums. It seems like they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years and at this point one of the few things that would get me to sign up again is if they reissued the Upholsterers EPs and/or had a DVD with all their Conan appearances.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 29, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

We cool and also PM received, let's talk later. Really glad you seem to approve of my two tiers of pricing. And I don't know, typical 90s used record bin is probably not to far off I guess. I'm keeping more of the obscure stuff and trying to sell stuff people may like. Some of these are my favorite records, TBH. For instance Nighfly is supposed to be one of the standards used for tuning a stereo I guess. Def a favorite for me.

And please PM me with any requests or dibs, and I'll start a new thread for it all at the SA Mart.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Can someone point me to a Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers?

Also this just came in:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Can someone point me to a Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers?

Also this just came in:

https://www.discogs.com/master/37425-Cat-Stevens-Numbers

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
My records came in the mail today and they're all hosed up :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

My records came in the mail today and they're all hosed up :( :(

drat, that really blows. You should call