Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiling stars or visible edges in the skybox are absolute dealbreakers for me I am not kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Someone definitely hosed up the UVs on the sphere that star texture is mapped onto.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I uh, certainly never expected a Xenogears reference to be in Hi-Fi Rush.

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440

retraumatized. Xenogears was the best JRPG I ever played... until the second disc. ......................why.........

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The Dead Space remake is awesome.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mordja posted:

Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

I've only put an hour into the Dead Space remake, and yeah, so far Isaac only speaks when actually talking to other characters, not endlessly talking to himself.

I watched Sphere Hunter's review of the Dead Space remake and immediately brought it. It sounds very good, and from the slightly less than an hour I've played so far, I'm inclined to agree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3VQ-fuRugQ

Short version, it's a really high-quality remake, from the ground up, not a slight update. She basically compares it to the Resident Evil 1 remake. There's nothing cut out of the game, it's everything from the original, plus new stuff and smart updates. I'm already noticing stuff from what I've played in chapter 1.
It's also making the usual crowd froth at the mouth over the most innocuous poo poo, which is a plus!
Like, they made one of the two characters who die in the opening a woman now, the horror! A poster that depicted a group of white people in the original now has non-whites in it too! Gasp!

Runs great on high on my PC too, so far. Going to be putting a ton of time into this over the weekend.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

so far its much better even. Really good remake

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tiling stars or visible edges in the skybox are absolute dealbreakers for me I am not kidding

Yeah, it's such an incredibly basic mistake. You could literally throw together a better, non-repeating procedural sky texture in Blender in like 10 minutes. Hell, including the clouds, too. For a multimillion ostensibly AAA game it's just :psyduck:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's such an incredibly basic mistake. You could literally throw together a better, non-repeating procedural sky texture in Blender in like 10 minutes. Hell, including the clouds, too. For a multimillion ostensibly AAA game it's just :psyduck:

It seems like a AA game being developed that someone at S-E just latched onto and thought it would be their new hot open world IP to dethrone Ubisoft or something and then told them to make it a AAA game without any additional support beyond "make game look pretty"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's crazy how pretty much everything square enix does anymore is half-baked dogshit, except final fantasy 14 which inexplicably continues to get even better

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Excuse me but you mistyped FFXI in your post

FF11 is the best MMO of all time and continues getting better. FF14 is a pretty ok WoW clone. :colbert:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Its kind of hard to say what an "open world" game really means, since most of them are just "really big map" and I guess thats all we need. Is it really just having space to gently caress around? Is OoT an Open World game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think Open World is pretty meaningless these days, like Roguelike. It's one of those terms that everyone uses for something different and there's no consensus. So now you get people saying a game isn't an open world game because it's actually split into 3 separate gigantic open maps, and you'll get people saying a game is an open world game just because it has sidequests and dungeons.

Perestroika posted:

I literally draw giant skybox textures just for fun, because they're fun to draw. Even if they were doing it that way with a hand-drawn skybox texture it would take maybe 15 minutes of effort to get something that looks better than what they ended up with, lmao

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Its kind of hard to say what an "open world" game really means, since most of them are just "really big map" and I guess thats all we need. Is it really just having space to gently caress around? Is OoT an Open World game?
It's formally an "open world game" when you have half-baked crafting systems and shitloads of markers on the map with copy-paste objectives. You can argue a bunch of stuff is open world, including Zelda 1, but I don't find the discussion interesting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

It's formally an "open world game" when you have half-baked crafting systems and shitloads of markers on the map with copy-paste objectives. You can argue a bunch of stuff is open world, including Zelda 1, but I don't find the discussion interesting.

Diablo is an open-world game by this description :hmmyes:

e: Not saying that is wrong

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I didn’t finish the original DS1 due to what I found to be a repetitive mission/encounter/level structure, but the remake might change things up enough that I can actually enjoy it. Will give it a shot when I get a more capable PC

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Diablo is an open-world game by this description :hmmyes:

e: Not saying that is wrong
Idk if I'd call Diablo's systems half-baked, they're pretty darn good. But yes I can't disprove the assertion.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Private Speech posted:

Should I get Forspoken if I'm a huge sucker for janky action-RPGs and have a decent PC, but could never get more than 5 minutes into a Marvel film (I tried a couple times).

I also loved FF15 and Prototype and like games with only female protagonists.

if you want to play the gameplay and ignore the story/quips you can always just set the voice language to uzbek and turn off subtitles
the action rpg part seems pretty lame since your starting 'spell' is basically a pebble gun pea-shooter, but i haven't actually played it so

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

tildes posted:

This isn't a new release, but it didn't seem like it got thhhaat much attention on release:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/789660/Buggos/

Buggos is a fun RTS lite -- it is a bit like They Are Billions, but you are the zombies. You are a cute version of the zerg from starcraft, and start out with a hive set up near an unsuspecting human city. You build up your econ, spawn units, and try to destroy the humans before they spawn too many defenses and come kill you. It's definitely an RTS lite -- there is only one resource you get, and you can only tell all units of a type where to go roughly. E.g. you could command all your basic infantry to go to some point, and then they will more or less head there and kill what they find. So you are not going to be microing a whole ton. I think it strikes a nice balance between requiring some strategy/giving you some control while still having some strong autobattler vibes in terms of how actual combat plays out. Most of the challenge is figuring out what to build (i.e. which units) and where to send them, and balancing building up your base with attacking. It definitely captures the swarm feeling -- you are very often at unit cap, so your goal is to get your people killed on the human defenses as quickly as possible so you can pump out more.

You go through a many stage campaign where you show up at an area and are given a few different maps/scenarios to choose from. In each the humans have different defenses, and you get different rewards. Once you finish an area you head to the next, and after the giant DLC that just got released it will probably be around 6-10 hours to finish the main campaign on normal. The rewards you get are exopoints, which let you evolve through a huge tech tree, unlocking new unit types, abilities for your units etc. One thing to flag here is that selective breeding, which lets you choose which types of units spawn, is super key for the later levels.

All in all it has been fun so far! Would definitely recommend if you want a light RTS experience which still has some strategic depth/challenge. If you liked Creeperworld I think you might also like this -- even though you use more units than towers (though there are those too), it hits a similar feeling of slowly pushing back an AI enemy. If you want to get a sense of it, Splattercat has a video on it from awhile ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAdXaGSQX4

This video is a simple tutorial, and his channel shows more higher level play (as well as giving unit intros etc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oFWer8h7o&t=1s

This looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're looking for an action RPG Asterigos: Curse of the Stars is worth checking out. It's not a AAA game but it definitely deserves more attention than it got.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you want to play the gameplay and ignore the story/quips you can always just set the voice language to uzbek and turn off subtitles
the action rpg part seems pretty lame since your starting 'spell' is basically a pebble gun pea-shooter, but i haven't actually played it so

ular hozir uchib ketishadi

ular hozir uchib ketishadi?

ular hozir uchib ketishadi!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Pizza Tower is incredible, I have no idea what the story is but my God, Luigi whoever the gently caress is my kind of pizza chef.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chunki BU men hozir qila oladigan narsadir

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
In Pizza Tower you don't have a health bar outside of boss fights, so technically there's not a downside to taking damage. However, the game will notify you "YOU HAVE HURT PEPPINO X TIMES" whenever you hurt him too much, and a hint pizza early on helpfully tells you "if you hurt Peppino, you go to hell", so I ended up caring more about Peppino's safety than if there was actually a health bar.

The only way to remove a powerup is to visit a pizza priest and have him absolve you of your curse.

Rather than collecting a key to open secret doors, you instead find the janitor on his lunch break and have him follow you around to use his key ring to get you in.

There's a level that guest stars Mort the Chicken. They genuinely contacted the developers of an old, forgotten Playstation platformer and asked for permission to use Mort the Chicken and here he is.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 28, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/survival-instinct?partner=nintendeal

Survival game bundle on humblebundle

$15 for

Chernobylite enhanced edition
SCUM
State of decay 2 juggernaut edition
The long dark survival edition
Volcanoids
Surroundead
Starsand

If anyone's splitting keys, I'm interested in Chernoylite and State of Decay.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Pigbuster posted:

Pizza Tower is loving perfect.

https://twitter.com/thatguy_hat/status/1618672457996709889

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dead space, a game that had its early access build out a whopping 15 years ago in 2008, finally gets its 1.0 release this month, and it was worth the wait.

-if only games journalism was honest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Dead Space remake just came out

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cactus posted:

Dead space, a game that had its early access build out a whopping 15 years ago in 2008, finally gets its 1.0 release this month, and it was worth the wait.

-if only games journalism was honest.

This is very silly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tildes posted:

Dead Space remake just came out

Yeah I know

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

pizza tower is p cool p cool i must say

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stux and I are the only people who will care about this but i have to post it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLurAhsqXWc

yume nikki esque first person adventure adaptation of a popular surrealist Youtube cartoon

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

This is very silly

Yeah I know, it's not even a Nintendo game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Next EA remake: Boogie Superstar for the Wii, which was released a day after Dead Space in 2008.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The 7th Guest posted:

stux and I are the only people who will care about this but i have to post it anyway

yume nikki esque first person adventure adaptation of a popular surrealist Youtube cartoon

this looks v cool thanks

tithin posted:

If anyone's splitting keys, I'm interested in Chernoylite and State of Decay.

sent you SoD2 in pm

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 28, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zetsubou-san posted:

this looks v cool thanks

sent you SoD2 in pm

Zets continues being a high quality individual

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

it got almost 200k views in 4 hours so clearly it appeals to someone (me)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Weedle posted:

it's crazy how pretty much everything square enix does anymore is half-baked dogshit, except final fantasy 14 which inexplicably continues to get even better

Clearly their business model from now on should just be to fill a dumpster, set it on fire and then build a superior second version from the ashes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
harvestella is a fun game with some really weird twists, but it is incredibly obvious that at some point they ran out of art assets. oh, a long sealed door where vitally important plot is revealed!.... is a nondescript room with six of the sole computer console model in a circle and a copy of the flying drone enemy model to provide some exposition.

some weird poo poo happened with that development process.