Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio

cruft posted:

I don't use it, though.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I’m sure I mentioned it before but I use KDE Plasma

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

I'm the current maintainer of 9wm.

I don't use it, though.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/9wm

:eyepop:

I think I'll check it out

cruft

It's a real pain in the rear end, and won't make sense. Kinda like the first time you ran vi or ed.

I recommend watching a YouTube video first.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

It's a real pain in the rear end, and won't make sense. Kinda like the first time you ran vi or ed.

I recommend watching a YouTube video first.

I tried searching for a video but couldn't find any lmao

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
also I started using Syncthing last month and I've installed it on everything, including my Android phone

very cool and useful program for syncing files, would recommend to everyone

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Friendly Goons of the tux thread, I'm in need of a couple suggestions to test for web building.

I've mostly used Dreamweaver since the early naughts with a small bit of hand coding in vim/vscode to make adjustments. I want to be able to flesh out a site like dreamweaver though and be able to reference other pages/resources on the site in a similar way(like a project that includes stuff. I just don't want to have to keep referencing stuff constantly to point stuff in the right direction during initial setup. Also, bonus if I can ftp both ways to keep things current, but as i'll just be working off of this computer it really only matters for uploads which still i can do manually without too much effort.

So, what's somewhere good to start testing things? I'm asking here to avoid the whole search results being paid results or just not helpful.

Yuu Morisawa posted:

also I started using Syncthing last month and I've installed it on everything, including my Android phone

very cool and useful program for syncing files, would recommend to everyone

I largely had an intranet set up and ssh/ftp mounted drives from everything else on my main. Syncthing sounds awesome though. I can't really use it for anything currently with only having inet through hotspot, but it sounds like a cool project and I'll keep it in mind for when I get home networking back. Would have saved me a lot of trouble a few years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I've mostly used Dreamweaver since the early naughts with a small bit of hand coding in vim/vscode to make adjustments. I want to be able to flesh out a site like dreamweaver though and be able to reference other pages/resources on the site in a similar way(like a project that includes stuff. I just don't want to have to keep referencing stuff constantly to point stuff in the right direction during initial setup. Also, bonus if I can ftp both ways to keep things current, but as i'll just be working off of this computer it really only matters for uploads which still i can do manually without too much effort.

This is probably not at all what you wanted to know. But on the off chance it helps:

I use Hugo to build informational sites, and just raw files for apps. I run rsync to publish things. I stay close to vanilla on everything: no jQuery, React, or whatever. The libraries I do use are luxon, and chart.js. I sometimes use Bulma CSS.

VSCode makes working this way a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

cruft posted:

This is probably not at all what you wanted to know. But on the off chance it helps:

I use Hugo to build informational sites, and just raw files for apps. I run rsync to publish things. I stay close to vanilla on everything: no jQuery, React, or whatever. The libraries I do use are luxon, and chart.js. I sometimes use Bulma CSS.

VSCode makes working this way a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.

gonna add hugo kuz it's not like it'll take up much space. I do like vscode but i rarely have added much other than vim control and ruby syntax stuff. I stayed from gui for a long time, but wysiwyg is so nice in some things.

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

I kinda hate my website sometimes. Also, I forgot how to ftp properly because I got lazy and was using filezilla and haven't needed to move stuff a lot this year.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

What terminal emulators and shells y'all running?

I've got a few for different stuff. I use Guake/BASH with Su so that I don't run boss mode poo poo on accident. I have Terminator/Zsh(with oh-my-zsh) for my main because I love my customized greys/whites/reds on a black background for typing(took alil work to make vim work pretty with it).

Goons Are Gifts

hello Linux thread I have this steam OS thing going on for my steam deck and apparently it's great for emulator games from the past but now I'm wondering what games or programs I could try to make work or if there even is a limit at all given there is a guy who made diablo 2 run on that and also there was this guy who played doom on a pregnancy test and

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I've got a few for different stuff. I use Guake/BASH with Su so that I don't run boss mode poo poo on accident. I have Terminator/Zsh(with oh-my-zsh) for my main because I love my customized greys/whites/reds on a black background for typing(took alil work to make vim work pretty with it).

foot, tmux, and bash (or dash, or ash, or busybox sh, or ksh, depending on what's available on the system).

Oh, except, on my chromebook (my primary non-work machine) I use hterm, which is the only game in town, and is pretty good. But still tmux and whatever shell is there.

I ran tcsh for a couple months in the 90s. Not my bag.

And I used rc enough to decide not to any longer. At that point I would have been using acme to run the shell, which isn't so much a terminal emulator as a line printer emulator with some really cool editing stuff.

In the past, when I did remote admin of machines with really high latency, I used a custom shell mode I wrote for emacs that does line buffering so you don't notice the lag so badly (all your editing happens locally and when you hit enter it finally sends text over the network).

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 28, 2022

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

hello Linux thread I have this steam OS thing going on for my steam deck and apparently it's great for emulator games from the past but now I'm wondering what games or programs I could try to make work or if there even is a limit at all given there is a guy who made diablo 2 run on that and also there was this guy who played doom on a pregnancy test and

It's a whole computer with a full OS in there. You can connect a keyboard+mouse and use it as a small "laptop".

There is no specific limit to older games that can run on the thing either. Find one you want to give a go and check online if it's compatible. The Wine/Proton layer that deals with Windows software compatibility is pretty good these days.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

play heretic if you haven't. best fps ever.

cruft posted:

foot, tmux, and bash (or dash, or ash, or busybox sh, or ksh, depending on what's available on the system).

Oh, except, on my chromebook (my primary non-work machine) I use hterm, which is the only game in town, and is pretty good. But still tmux and whatever shell is there.

I ran tcsh for a couple months in the 90s. Not my bag.

And I used rc enough to decide not to any longer. At that point I would have been using acme to run the shell, which isn't so much a terminal emulator as a line printer emulator with some really cool editing stuff.

In the past, when I did remote admin of machines with really high latency, I used a custom shell mode I wrote for emacs that does line buffering so you don't notice the lag so badly (all your editing happens locally and when you hit enter it finally sends text over the network).

I love tmux after i got the hang of it. was a nice way when i ran an intranet to leave sessions open and go in and out from my main. never used foot or acme but got tabs to read when i have a chance.
I still really gotta learn to emacs. I dug into vim and it's so nice but i still hear good stuff and know i should learn to use emacs.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I still really gotta learn to emacs. I dug into vim and it's so nice but i still hear good stuff and know i should learn to use emacs.

Honestly, don't bother. Visual Studio code is where it's at now. I don't even use Emacs anymore, and I was a huge Emacs nerd in my day.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

I use Guake/Yakuake and bash

I’ve been considering trying zsh lately

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Is there a built in way to do something like windows i use autohotkey to have doubletapped 2 be a 1 kuz my keyboard is broken.

typist

Do you like thinking about that?
opensuse 12.1 (no gui) is all anyone needs

none of that corny bsd

treasure bear

foss bosses report in

Gubbinal Girl

I'm boring and stick to Ubuntu. It seems to be the most commonly supported distro for the stuff I do and it "just works"*

I need to buy a new hard drive for my mini server so I can get Jellyfin running again

* Audio is fine surprisingly but my builtin wifi stopped being supported suddenly

alexandriao

Grinches are Glowing posted:

Theres a website that took me through it step by step with a script that autoinstalls stuff that integrates w the deck software

also reddit searching will help u set it up a bit too

https://www.emudeck.com/

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

alexandriao

nesamdoom posted:

play heretic if you haven't. best fps ever.

I love tmux after i got the hang of it. was a nice way when i ran an intranet to leave sessions open and go in and out from my main. never used foot or acme but got tabs to read when i have a chance.

doom emacs is where its at. it feels like vim but theres emacs there too. its leagues better than vs code because u know it will exist in the future rather than when some rando company wants to lock u into their software (see: Atom, Github Code, etc.)

alexandriao

nesamdoom posted:

Is there a built in way to do something like windows i use autohotkey to have doubletapped 2 be a 1 kuz my keyboard is broken.

xdotool but also you can use xmodmap and xsetkeymap to remap keys

like i have a script that maps caps lock to control when im gaming and want to crouch:

setxkbmap us -option
setxkbmap us -option "ctrl:nocaps" -option "compose:ralt"

and i have another script that maps caps lock to escape for when im coding:

setxkbmap us -option
setxkbmap us -option "caps:swapescape" -option "compose:ralt"

theres an overview here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xmodmap

alexandriao

Gubbinal Girl posted:

I'm boring and stick to Ubuntu. It seems to be the most commonly supported distro for the stuff I do and it "just works"*

I need to buy a new hard drive for my mini server so I can get Jellyfin running again

* Audio is fine surprisingly but my builtin wifi stopped being supported suddenly

ive been using ubuntu but it kinda feels crap with the snaps thing. like i had to install flatkit or whatever so now i have two programs that do the same thing differently and thats in addition to my package manager. feels wack tbh but icba to update myself on the current state of the world re: distros, so :shrug:

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Don't use arch if you're uncomfortable with the command line. Mint is about the most user friendly Linux out there so I'm not sure why you had to rely on the terminal so much?

ElementaryOS might work for you but I'd recommend giving mint another try. It has a graphical software installer, too.

I personally like MX Linux a lot but it's not as fancy looking as some of the GNOME or KDE based distros.

EDIT - Ignore me... I think I replied to a post a few pages back and now I can't find it. I'm too high to post in BYOB. :sweatdrop:

ty heather paps for the rockin' summer sig

alexandriao

knuthgrush posted:

Don't use arch if you're uncomfortable with the command line. Mint is about the most user friendly Linux out there so I'm not sure why you had to rely on the terminal so much?

ElementaryOS might work for you but I'd recommend giving mint another try. It has a graphical software installer, too.

I personally like MX Linux a lot but it's not as fancy looking as some of the GNOME or KDE based distros.

EDIT - Ignore me... I think I replied to a post a few pages back and now I can't find it. I'm too high to post in BYOB. :sweatdrop:

nah this is a cool rear end post.

Also, idk, Arch was how i learned some of the best things re: the command line haha. Trial by fire :evilbuddy:

Elementary OS is a name i havent heard of in a long while... how is the state of that? I really really want something as sleek as the old Unity dash was but like... KDE feels overengineered and GNOME feels... wrong...

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

It's a fairly sleek experience but it's kinda locked down a little in the customization department. It mimics OS X in appearance.

They have a lot if custom apps built and that includes a new app center which is dead simple. It came out with the 7.0 release recently. It's very clean and pretty and un-spooky for the terminal averse.

However for family and friends that aren't computer types I just default to Mint, especially if I'm going to support it. Cinnamon looks vaguely enough like windows that they don't have any issue and it's Linux so I can fix it easily.

I agree re: arch about trial by fire. The biggest issue I have is that arch does rolling releases and their packages can break in impressive ways. I'm too old and impatient these days to deal with it, which is why I stick to Debian derivatives like MX Linux and antiX for my personal rigs. The latter if the machine is super old.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Also re: snaps, that's why I don't use Ubuntu for anything but the odd server or containers at work. On my computers, I use a combination of apt packages and flatpak. I hope flatpak overtakes snaps but canonical just digs their heels in.

cruft

knuthgrush posted:

Also re: snaps, that's why I don't use Ubuntu for anything but the odd server or containers at work. On my computers, I use a combination of apt packages and flatpak. I hope flatpak overtakes snaps but canonical just digs their heels in.

Dear god do I hate snaps.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

cruft posted:

Dear god do I hate snaps.

:hfive:

Mummy Napkin
halo mcc multiplayer now working on the deck/linux. linux gaming just keeps getting better and better.

cruft

I hate submitting merge requests so much.

This one is only three lines long and it's already taken me 10 hours to jump through all the CI/CD hoops set up, not counting the time spent reading the package owner's blog essay on how he thinks people should be filing merge requests. I had to push a commit to remove a space that a check didn't like. And I had to respond to no fewer than five comments by the author on my request, concluding with "hey I think we can work around this three line change by putting this insanely complex shell script in a docker-compose file's entrypoint section".

Now the CI/CD system that approves my commits for merge requests is broken because some fragile environment variable was changed by the author and the whole thing fell apart.

I honestly am considering just giving up on trying to help improve things. It might just be too onerous for me at this point.

cruft

Anyway I responded to all the comments, changed how I documented my change to merge in a change the author made to the documentation (it was a good change, I'm glad I was able to trigger that happening), removed the naughty space character, and have asked for assistance with triggering a new CI/CD build.

But the last thing I wrote was "look, I think this makes things better for users. You're free to reject the change if you disagree." I hope the author either accepts or rejects it and lets me move on with life. I guess if I 'm asked to do a second round of this I'll just withdraw the request.

cruft

This reminds me of the time I read a post on the amateur radio version of stack exchange, where someone was like "boy I'd really like to know what frequency the army used in morse code training in the 1940s", so I did a bunch of research, found some recordings, pitch-matched the frequency to within 1 cent, and posted a reply... then got rejected because I didn't have enough reputation points. So I posted it as an answer, and some admin chewed my rear end because I didn't post a reply. I said "I tried but I don't have enough reputation" and then they chewed my rear end with instructions on how to answer a bunch of other poo poo I had no interest in, in order to build enough reputation to post the FOUR-FREAKING-DIGIT FREQUENCY in the right place.

So I just deleted the answer.

MAN I AM SALTY ABOUT THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW!

cruft

Okay, thanks for listening, back to your regularly scheduled program.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

cruft posted:

Okay, thanks for listening, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Them posts was spot on. Things are sometimes kinda backwards in the open sores world.

cruft

I kinda get it. You need to raise the bar to entry and want to enforce some standards too.

But from a personal perspective, the steep increase in bureaucracy is just irritating as hell.

Author said "yeah, no, I don't want to change the code, I'm happy with this complicated-rear end documentation instead". I think he's expecting me to revert my patch and implement verbatim the example he put in the comment, but I don't want my name associated with that tomfoolery, so I guess I just do nothing and hope one day he rejects my change.

Anyway how's everybody's Loonix today?

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

cruft posted:

I kinda get it. You need to raise the bar to entry and want to enforce some standards too.

But from a personal perspective, the steep increase in bureaucracy is just irritating as hell.

Author said "yeah, no, I don't want to change the code, I'm happy with this complicated-rear end documentation instead". I think he's expecting me to revert my patch and implement verbatim the example he put in the comment, but I don't want my name associated with that tomfoolery, so I guess I just do nothing and hope one day he rejects my change.

Time to fork his project for yourself!

My lunix is doing well. I got laid off so I took the time to switch from MX Linux to Linux Mint because I wanted some more pedestrian things to Just Work. It's been great so far, save for some xfce stuff I have in muscle memory. I'm fundamentally opposed to cinnamon because it's written in JavaScript but it works generally quite well.

I do miss a lot of the tooling that comes with MX but I had to finally bed my knee to poettering's mistakes and a host of other modern linuxy things because I'm growing weary of fighting self inflicted obscure technical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

cruft posted:

I'm very annoyed at situations with solutions and being told to ignore an easy option. I'm also massively annoyed by bureaucratic time wasting and paperwork. Although, I think it'd be funny to leave it pending and reject it in like 2 decades just for the mystery of why.

Sadly, I bought a game and can't force steam to run it so I'm trying to Windows right now. It's not going very well. I forgot how poo poo windows runs from being on tux for over a year. I swear the last updates from a couple years ago intentionally broke the system. I'm tempted to reinstall from the os/driver discs i got in 2014. Fan on max and I got this one page open. temp 60C. How the gently caress does windows idle 30C hotter than my linux system that's got a full DE? Not like I'm barebones Arch with fluxbox and i3. 4+GB ram on loving boot. I don't think apple is a better company than microsoft, but atleast they are openly making garbage computers.

Ha, I could open a VM and run linux on extra monitor like I used to. I don't know if windows would poo poo it's mind though.

It's my own fault I suppose by buying stuff that has no support for linux. I've bought a bunch of stuff to try to make windows work fluidly, but to no avail. Free stuff on Linux repos keep being the better way to go. I kinda wish steam had put more time and effort into integration than pushing the steamdeck line of lovely console like computers. Always annoyed me that they wanted to promote underpowered poo poo and that's how some people learned about linux. Oh, it can't even run this at 60fps because the system is poo poo... Nah, it's because the hardware can't and developers don't give a gently caress about anything but windows unless they are cool.

Ranting done. Sorry if anyone made it through. Sorrier to those not reading this. Last thought, I've never been paid to fix a computer with Linux. I do make money off just clipping windows down to the stuff that works for people to use computers they just got that seem slow.