Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

This is why I don't really see much value in "running my phones into the ground" - Why wouldn't I just trade in my phone every few years for a huge credit toward a new phone instead? I'll always want/need consistent cellular service, so I don't mind them applying the credit over a couple years.

I think there's a strong argument to be made that it's fiscally and environmentally more responsible to hold on to your phone as long as you can and not upgrade for its own sake just because its easy to do so. Obviously, there are plenty of reasons why people need to upgrade their phones every few years, but 'just because I can/the credit is good' probably doesn't rank too high on the 'responsible human' league tables.

but also (and I don't think this is necessarily contradicting the above)

some kinda jackal posted:

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Don't get sucked into the feature treadmill and the whole wait x months etc type thing - especially with Apple products. Just buy the thing when you need the thing, and it'll probably be really good, and better than your last thing. When the next thing comes out with some exclusive shiny new feature, remind yourself that you wouldn't even feel any kind of remorse if not for the fact that they told you about the shiny new feature, and that it's probably incremental to your day to day experience with the phone. You will be happier as a result.

Software-wise, any phone that's out this year will be able to handle basically anything that will be around next year.

But also, if you get a 13 mini, which I'm reliably informed (by my 13 mini) is the world's greatest iPhone, an added bonus is you opt out of all the upgrade cycle buyers remorse anxiety because this is the last one of these kinds of phones they're going to make for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Corb3t posted:

I haven't plugged a cable into my iPhone in over a year at this point. MagSafe for life.

MagSafe is technically USB C, too.

Do my non-apple work laptop, personal laptop, bike lights, GPS, power pack, massage gun & headphones all charge through MagSafe too?

No they do not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

American McGay posted:

Spending $1400 instead of carrying 2 cables like a baus.

Well, I mean yes, but also going from a five year old phone to a brand new phone counts for something too, probably :cool:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

wooger posted:

Do my non-apple work laptop, personal laptop, bike lights, GPS, power pack, massage gun & headphones all charge through MagSafe too?

No they do not.

Don't you think USB C is a bit of a joke? I have a long list of USB C devices like yourself, but half of them won't even charge with a proper usb c to usb c cable because they don't actually have proper USB PD. With that many devices, I want multiple cables next to me on my couch or traveling - whether it's charging my Steam Deck and iPhone or MacBook and Nintendo Switch or whatever.

Do you only carry one cable for all those devices? That would be a nightmare. I need multiple cables for multiple devices, I don’t see the hassle of bringing a USB C to MagSafe puck for my iPhone and AirPods.

Even if they were both USB C, I’d still bring a MagSafe charger with me because it won’t wear out the ports and MagSafe is more convenient (and will soon be on every android headset).

The Grumbles posted:

I think there's a strong argument to be made that it's fiscally and environmentally more responsible to hold on to your phone as long as you can and not upgrade for its own sake just because its easy to do so. Obviously, there are plenty of reasons why people need to upgrade their phones every few years, but 'just because I can/the credit is good' probably doesn't rank too high on the 'responsible human' league tables.

Very true, although most of these iPhones being traded in are being used secondhand. The lifespan of an iPhone is pretty long considering how long they receive software updates.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 25, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s honestly crazy what carriers will do to get you to sign up for another 2-3 year contract. When I upgraded from my XS to my 12 pro I still had one year to go of a 3 year contract (this is paying off the phone over 3 years, not just paying for data and calls) and I still walked out of that store paying the same amount per month as I was before, with 100gb per month instead of 50, and $100 in my pocket.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AirPlay from iPhone to AppleTV question

Is there any way to control whether it connects as "iPhone -> TV" or just "TV"?

I like to listen to podcasts while I'm on the treadmill. If I'm selecting the AirPlay target "Gym" it seems to randomly land on one mode or the other, and if it picks "Gym" it seems to be trying to control the Podcasts app on the AppleTV rather than just playing the audio source from the iPhone to the AppleTV's audio. If it is in "Gym" mode it means the podcast I'm listening to gets all out of sync with where my place is on the phone and I have to manually keep track of the time on the track and scrub to it when I am next listening somewhere else, like in the car. Sometimes I'll be listening in "iPhone -> Gym" mode and it'll suddenly lose the connection and if I reconnect it comes back as "Gym", and then I have to go scrubbing around to find my place again because it picks up in some random spot, all while I'm running in place. It's maddening.

There doesn't seem to be any way to control whether tapping on "Gym" will connect as "iPhone -> Gym" or just "Gym".

Is there?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Grab a lightweight powerbank (8000-12000mAh) and keep it along the phone. If the battery isn't enough, that way you can hold your current workflow without having to commit cash on that old phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well after all that hemming and hawing I ended up replacing the XS with a 14 Pro. By the time USB phone comes out I’ll see how I feel, but I took the “just get what you need now” advice to heart, and now I have a nice power efficient phone with a great camera for the trip. I won’t say it’s light years ahead of my experience with the XS, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel nicer, so I’m overall pleased.

I haven’t had any bad experiences with USB-C charging to date, and the idea of being able to charge all my gadgets off of one cable appeals to me a great deal. If I’m travelling of course I’ll have multiple cables for multiple gadgets, but on your typical day out I think all my devices but phone and airpods are USB-C and I’d love to be able to just pop them onto a battery bank with one cable without having to think about it. But I mean the value prop for waiting for USB-C phone was way different when I was upgrading from an XS versus my 14 Pro. Now if USB comes out next year I really won’t have any argument why an upgrade isn’t “spending $1400 to change cables”. I may or may not do it, I guess we’ll see what the 15 brings :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to do normal Ringtones / sounds when using the Sleep alarm? They are very nice sounds I guess but I want something with a bit more punch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hed posted:

Is there a way to do normal Ringtones / sounds when using the Sleep alarm? They are very nice sounds I guess but I want something with a bit more punch.

I cant see how in the app, but maybe this could be accomplished through shortcuts or an automation

Something like that? It seems to use the last alarm sound you set. This is untested but might lead the right way

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I was dreading buying a new phone this year (have an SE 2, and while it's fine, I wanted more camera's, and I wanted better battery life) and was debating between the mini 13 and just getting a Pro something. Then, my wonderful girlfriend rocking a 11 Pro Max with 87% battery life decided she wants a new phone, and is getting her screen replaced (minor crack) with insurance, and is giving it to me for free. Hell yeah. 87% battery life too. I can rock that thing for a least a few years I figure with updates, and use the money from the trade in to cover a sick Apple leather case.

Edit, the Apple leather folio cases for the pro max 11 are on sale from $129 down to $22 on amazon. I grabbed one cause why not.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I was dreading buying a new phone this year (have an SE 2, and while it's fine, I wanted more camera's, and I wanted better battery life) and was debating between the mini 13 and just getting a Pro something. Then, my wonderful girlfriend rocking a 11 Pro Max with 87% battery life decided she wants a new phone, and is getting her screen replaced (minor crack) with insurance, and is giving it to me for free. Hell yeah. 87% battery life too. I can rock that thing for a least a few years I figure with updates, and use the money from the trade in to cover a sick Apple leather case.

Edit, the Apple leather folio cases for the pro max 11 are on sale from $129 down to $22 on amazon. I grabbed one cause why not.

Nice dude, congrats. 11 Pro Max is still a hell of a phone imo and will definitely last you a few years. It's going to be a massive user experience for you versus your SE 2.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
87% battery life ain’t getting you a few years, that shits unusable by the time you hit low 80s.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LionArcher posted:

You might want to consider a battery replacement. 87% isn't actually good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

My launch week 11 is at 79%, and aside from reduced screen on time, I haven't seen a reason to replace it yet; fucker's a workhorse. Gonna wait until this October I think before dealing with it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mister Facetious posted:

My launch week 11 is at 79%, and aside from reduced screen on time, I haven't seen a reason to replace it yet; fucker's a workhorse. Gonna wait until this October I think before dealing with it.

yeah not being able to use your phone as long as you used to is typically the reason to replace a battery

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Or a reason to use your phone less.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

yeah not being able to use your phone as long as you used to is typically the reason to replace a battery

4-5 hours screen on a day is plenty for anyone that isn't a Twitter/reddit wacko

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I do think you guys overstate the battery percentage. It's really not that big of a deal, and even then, replacing the battery isn't that expensive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My 12 pro is at 85% and I was tossing up getting a 14 pro before deciding to wait for the next one - it’s definitely at the point where the battery life can be irritating sometimes but it’s not unusable yet. I think I’ll be keen to replace by the time October rolls around though.

A pro max would last longer to begin with, so I could see it still being ok for a year or 2 if it’s at 87%.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I think my 13 Pro Max is in the low 90s

I took a trip last December to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples. I guess apparently the heat combined with me taking videos all the first day, I ended up with about 10% battery left and I had left my battery pack at my hotel. I still had to shoot the sunset at one of the other temples so my driver ended up asking some kid-monks-in-training at the temple we were at. they went into their room and pulled out a charger+cable that juiced up my phone to... 15% in about 30 minutes.

anyways the moral of the story is: always remember your battery pack.. or don't because maybe you'll hang out with a bunch of kid monks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

It lasts her all day, and all day into the next day if she isn’t on Facebook insta a ton. Apple charged $69 for a battery replacement. I’ll happily do that once the battery gets a little worse.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was less about the time that a charge lasts and more that, once your phone battery health percentage dips into the low 80's, you are likely to start seeing performance issues?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hed posted:

The sleep alarms are all loving awful and it’s ludicrous that I can’t select a normal alarm tone for them. I hate it too. No, the birds flying through a lovely mist on the eastern slope of the Alps doesn’t loving wake me up. Give me radar you idiots.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The sleep alarms are all loving awful and it’s ludicrous that I can’t select a normal alarm tone for them. I hate it too. No, the birds flying through a lovely mist on the eastern slope of the Alps doesn’t loving wake me up. Give me radar you idiots.

Yeah, I went to the trouble of setting up a custom alarm (video game music!) and I am used to waking up to that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought it was less about the time that a charge lasts and more that, once your phone battery health percentage dips into the low 80's, you are likely to start seeing performance issues?

Not a whole lot that can stress an A13 or above outside of trying to edit video or play games maxed out lol.
Hell, it took three years just for Qualcomm to equal the single and multicore with their SD8 Gen 1

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I wake up to the ‘summer’ track from the stardew valley soundtrack.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Harp works fine for waking me up.

IMO like 10 years ago, I had Boston’s More Than a Feeling as my alarm, and while it got old pretty quickly , it’s the perfect wake up song.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My launch day 12 mini is at 88% health and it’s still fine for me. It sits on a MagSafe charger most of the day (and night) and I have a battery pack for when I push it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Be careful setting a clip of a favorite song as an alarm. I get PTSD whenever I hear the beginning of Mr Flash - Powerlight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
For battery life, it just depends on what you do.

My prior job where I worked physically facing customers all day: battery life extremely important.

Current job where I still “face” customers all day , but it’s over the phone and I have a desk for that obviously includes spots for charging phones: not important.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have the instrumental from Nine Inch Nails' Starfuckers Inc as one of my alarms and I'm still not tired of it.

My other alarm?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CubKfrJkmI

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

American McGay posted:

Be careful setting a clip of a favorite song as an alarm. I get PTSD whenever I hear the beginning of Mr Flash - Powerlight.

I still get a mild panic every time I hear the intro to 19/2000 by Gorillaz because it was my ringtone while I was a casual retail worker and it meant I was being called in for a shift. 😓

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Had something weird with CarPlay today. I told Siri to tell google maps to navigate home. Somehow it wound up sticking the apartment number into the address so instead of

1234 n home st
1n

It plugged in the destination as

12341 n home st

Which actually exists but is 30 miles away.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How far did you get towards 12341 n home before you figured it out.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

withak posted:

How far did you get towards 12341 n home before you figured it out.

Hah, I saw it pretty much immediately but yeah, that could have been bad.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American McGay posted:

yeah it’s a good way to unfavorite a song

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I live near a road called The Plaza, which is also the name of that part of town. Siri/carplay started shortening it to The Plz which is really funny cause it thinks the name of the road is just “The.”

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There was a time when I was suspended from a job and spent weeks waiting for phone calls on the outcome. I had my ringtone set to one of the defaults- "Slow Rise", so now every time I hear that I get a little tiny anxiety attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Why did they make the power thing for the usb C chargers wider? Bit of a fail