Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

lets goooo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We are in desperate need of a solidarity smiley. Someone art some poo poo up. I’m like, an idea guy.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Geight posted:

:hellyeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Geight posted:

Hell yeah

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

very nice

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrYenko posted:

We are in desperate need of a solidarity smiley. Someone art some poo poo up. I’m like, an idea guy.

something like this maybe?

( based on : patriot : :patriot: )

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Jan 27, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

kingcobweb posted:

WOOOO CONGRATS also there’s always one lol

Yeah the 1 no vote was expected and recently even they have been like "man this is hosed", they're just more scared of losing their job than anything else so all we have to do is show them that the union is serious about preventing that from happening. Mostly I'm happy that we got 100% turnout!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Geight posted:

Yeah the 1 no vote was expected and recently even they have been like "man this is hosed", they're just more scared of losing their job than anything else so all we have to do is show them that the union is serious about preventing that from happening. Mostly I'm happy that we got 100% turnout!

i always tell people it's better to be a member and vote "no" than be a non-member jamoke

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
UK:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpdin7FiGR1zch5zz.mp4

here in the Netherlands bus drivers are striking until the 10th, and apparently this week the garbagemen and other civil servants are on strike in my town.

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Feb 1, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

Great work, congratulations!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

more higher ed unionizing

https://twitter.com/TRUhopkins/status/1620855471187050496

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AthenaMama/status/1620217094259507203

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/fbunational/status/1621434607101943810

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where'd you find the post by the owner of the store

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Temple University grad students are on strike

https://twitter.com/mings_ga/status/1623329072167243781

temple university cut their tuition remission as well as their healthcare benefits. "lmao"

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.tugsa.org/strike

Our Demands

A Living Wage

Current average pay for graduate employees is $19,500 a year. Our proposed base-wage of $32,800 is designed to bring graduate employee pay in line with living costs in Philadelphia based on the MIT Living Wage Calculator, as of January 2021 when negotiations began. Other Universities in the area like Penn have already acknowledged this need, raising their graduate pay to $38,000. Graduate employees should be able to live in the city where they work.

Healthcare for Dependents and Families

The cost of adding dependents to graduate employee healthcare plans are prohibitively expensive. The cost of adding just one dependent to a plan for a year is almost a third of the total annual salary of graduate employees. Adding two or three dependents amounts to roughly 58% and 86% of the annual salary.

Longer Parental and Bereavement Leave

Despite graduate school being a time in life when many people want to start families and Temple marketing itself as an institution of accessibility, Temple’s policies make this impossible. Temple currently provides only 5 days of parental leave.

Better Working Conditions

It’s one of our most basic rights as a union to negotiate over the terms of our workload, yet the administration refuses to engage at all with our proposals that would help address widespread overwork and mismanagement of contracts and work assignments. Our working conditions are our students’ learning conditions, and when our conditions are substandard, our students suffer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get their asses.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

love to email the labor organizers with a message proudly announcing my intent to do labor crimes

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

MrYenko posted:

it might be too detailed or large to turn into a smiley but i think a pixel interpretation of this would be good i think:

Jinnigan has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Feb 9, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i read that temple is also saying that unless you contact your supervisor and tell them you won't be striking, they'll assume you're on strike and cut your pay, tuition, etc. sounds like a wage theft lawsuit.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Agean90 posted:

love to email the labor organizers with a message proudly announcing my intent to do labor crimes

who enforces that law. NLRB?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

who enforces that law. NLRB?

yes

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i applied for a job at TUGSA but they never got back to me. sad! i coulda been in the mix!!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

fwiw PA NLRB just sided with a couple of workers who asked their education non-profit ED for raises and got disciplined for their trouble. so maybe that bodes well for the legal case

https://www.inquirer.com/news/youth-united-for-change-nlrb-settlement-20230118.html

i don't understand enough about the NLRB protections or arb structure or internal dynamics to really know anything at all thuogh

Jinnigan has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Feb 9, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

shameful poo poo

https://twitter.com/JennaRSterling/status/1623387037817802752

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

fwiw PA NLRB just sided with a couple of workers who asked their education non-profit ED for raises and got disciplined for their trouble. so maybe that bodes well for the legal case

https://www.inquirer.com/news/youth-united-for-change-nlrb-settlement-20230118.html

i don't understand enough about the NLRB protections or arb structure or internal dynamics to really know anything at all thuogh

the union files an Unfair Labor Practice (ULP) and the NLRB decides whether to find merit in it. if they do, they bring it to court or settle with the company.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i've already vented with the rest of the bargaining committee pretty well

but

today the bargaining committee i am on proposed an updated, comprehensive, economic response. we included healthcare, and essentially argued that no one should pay a greater percentage of their salary than the percentage that someone who makes $150k would pay for the same insurance plan. this would result in a large reduction in healthcare premiums, especially for people on family/spousal plans, and would obviously be more equitable, at a workplace that has made "equity" a huge part of their strategic plan.

... it didn't go well, and a manager had the fuckin balls to tell me that "the federal reserve has set interests rates at 5.65% (or something i don't remember), and inflation is going down..." and I've never snapped at someone faster. it was chaos in there for about five minutes. them telling us that inflation really only effects gasoline prices (??????) and that inflation isn't what it was a few months ago, us yelling that nothing is getting cheaper, just getting more expensive slower, etc. etc.

these loving people man. gently caress em. someone making a quarter a million dollars with a diamond ring the size of a chickpea telling me J Pow has it under control.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

organize, fight, win

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

oh hey, lookee there, strikes work, 66 days

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1623848684474564610?s=20&t=HPOq0f52xdGRFn_lAWFzqA

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Just soliciting some general opinion here...the company admitted on Friday that they left all our physical W2 forms on a desk in an empty office and didn't send them out until this past Friday. Is it worth trying to gin up some anger to try and go after the company for this with the Union's backing or is it not really worth it in the age where most people just download it from the HR portal before it ever even hits a USPS facility?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Just soliciting some general opinion here...the company admitted on Friday that they left all our physical W2 forms on a desk in an empty office and didn't send them out until this past Friday. Is it worth trying to gin up some anger to try and go after the company for this with the Union's backing or is it not really worth it in the age where most people just download it from the HR portal before it ever even hits a USPS facility?

this is a question for the workers themselves. if everyone’s pissed about it it’s an organizing issue, if no one cares, it’s not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tesla workers at Gigafactory 2 in upstate NY have launched an organizing campaign
https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-workers-launch-union-campaign-new-york-2023-02-14/

Notably not with UAW! They'll be joining Workers United/SEIU, starting a Tesla Workers United organization a la Starbucks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don’t like announcing that to management before you have a supermajority sign cards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

same here especially knowing that Tesla as an employer is going to do everything and anything they can to destroy this, idk if it's just a gut feeling but probably the most hostile American employer I can think of to union activity. Amazon & wal mart tier but the added problem of having an egotistical baby CEO at the helm w/ elon

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah Tesla's response is gonna be ideological so it's gonna probably rack up a lot of slap on the wrist fines instead of just sandbagging

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

UAW has been supporting organizing efforts at the fremont factory for years, but none of them have been successful since as people mention they go absolutely scorched earth, like firing entire teams if one person is suspected of union activities and telling everyone that the union will take away all of their discounted employee stock. imo they've avoided any of the bad press or public blowback that eg starbucks or amazon have been getting off of the strength of elon's untouchable personal brand that had let him get away with everything, but he's blown that up enough lately that people may care.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Remember kids;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

well yeah, it does contribute to, it is profits