Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gotta check out these Fehervari books books once I'm done with Cain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Wait, Fehervari has Farsight in his books??? I thought the only Tau who showed up in those were mainline pro-Ethereal Tau

If it's not Farsight then it's a hell of a red herring or coincidence. What seems to have happened outside of the books is that Fehervari's earlier books had more links to the wider 40k galaxy but then later he focused on things in his own little detached corner of the galaxy where he has full control, for example I would swear on my life that his very first short story Nightfall is about the Tyrant Star:

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Tyrant_Star

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 27, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
authorial feudalism. fehevari got his demesne, abnett got his fief, etc etc

it works!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Wait, Fehervari has Farsight in his books??? I thought the only Tau who showed up in those were mainline pro-Ethereal Tau

The short story Ice and Fire has a Tau that claims to be Farsight, but it's somewhat ambiguous

I'd lose my poo poo if anything from the Dark Coil made it into the main game/plpt. It has my favourite version of Tzeentchian corruption

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

The short story Ice and Fire has a Tau that claims to be Farsight, but it's somewhat ambiguous

I'd lose my poo poo if anything from the Dark Coil made it into the main game/plpt. It has my favourite version of Tzeentchian corruption

The bit where trying to figure out what order the stories happened in slowly drives you insane?

edit: in a good way, to be clear.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Benagain posted:

The bit where trying to figure out what order the stories happened in slowly drives you insane?

edit: in a good way, to be clear.

That, and the general depiction of chaos and tzeentch in particular as a slowly growing and subtle obsession, like how the Angels Resplendent and corrupted by Tzeentch but don't know it

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Fabius Bile should just make some Skaven. Then they can get loose and take over the underhives. Do it, Fabius.

I love it, that could be a mistake from his "New Men" project. He's a great foil to Belisarius Cawl in these 42nd millennium times. Personally I would like to see Fabius accidentally help the Imperium and Cawl accidentally help Chaos.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Personally I would like to see Fabius accidentally help the Imperium and Cawl accidentally help Chaos.

When you consider the Primaris Marines who've turned Traitor, then Cawl already has accidentally helped Chaos.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Who could've forseen that the Ultramines successor chapter 'Midnight Kings', known for their use of flaying knives and their bat-winged helms, could have turned traitor??? Oh well, we'll just send the Ultramarines successors 'Speech Bringers' and 'Globe Devourers' to deal with them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

When you consider the Primaris Marines who've turned Traitor, then Cawl already has accidentally helped Chaos.

I mean using totally-not-traitor-primarch genestock was bound to blow up eventually.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

D-Pad posted:

- Book 2 is about how Angron is back in real space and stronger than ever because of the rift. If he is killed he can come back within 8 weeks instead of being banished for hundreds or thousands of years. The imperium doesn't really have anything that can stop him and will need an equivalent power-up

One thing I've been thinking about recently after reading some recent lore, getting through more of the Horus Heresy, and also learning how Perturabo became a demon from googling it, is that it seems a little odd for the big 4 chaos faction aligned primarchs to be the first out of the gate in the new setting.

I think it's mentioned multiple times in Dark Imperium that Nurgle wants Mortarion to return to the warp to play a part in the great game between the chaos gods, and in the HH Lorgar had to jump through some wild hoops to get Fulgrim to come back from the Warp because Demon Fulgrim didn't care about the war or material universe any more. I think I've read other similar pieces of fluff elsewhere.

Meanwhile, we have two unaligned demon primarchs who achieved apotheosis by their own(?) means and seem like they would be the ones flying out of the warp first, since their interests are still presumably their own. And that would synergize with Abaddon being a neutral entity who uses chaos as a means to an end (I think, based on reading the first Black Legion novel).

I get that those two aren't the fun primarchs, but it seems like a missed lore opportunity.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cawl was also one if thd people ordered to persist in their work by the Emperor even if they cane to fear they were betraying him, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fearless posted:

Cawl was also one if thd people ordered to persist in their work by the Emperor even if they cane to fear they were betraying him, right?

In The Great Work, yeah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think the payoff for that hook was supposed to be cawl dealin w the ctan tho

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Now I'm wondering how prolific Rattus actually are in the grim dark future.

Very, considering the Liber Xenology has a couple of mentions of mutated rats in them, not to mention the survival pamphlet about which rats to eat for survival in the Hive in Battle for Armageddon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I swear one of the Gaunts Ghosts books mentions that rats spread with humanity to the stars

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Big load of them in Straight Silver, thanks to WWI theming.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Have we canonically gotten any primaris traitors yet? Last I saw it hadn't officially happened yet.

BigShasta posted:

One thing I've been thinking about recently after reading some recent lore, getting through more of the Horus Heresy, and also learning how Perturabo became a demon from googling it, is that it seems a little odd for the big 4 chaos faction aligned primarchs to be the first out of the gate in the new setting.

I think it's mentioned multiple times in Dark Imperium that Nurgle wants Mortarion to return to the warp to play a part in the great game between the chaos gods, and in the HH Lorgar had to jump through some wild hoops to get Fulgrim to come back from the Warp because Demon Fulgrim didn't care about the war or material universe any more. I think I've read other similar pieces of fluff elsewhere.

Meanwhile, we have two unaligned demon primarchs who achieved apotheosis by their own(?) means and seem like they would be the ones flying out of the warp first, since their interests are still presumably their own. And that would synergize with Abaddon being a neutral entity who uses chaos as a means to an end (I think, based on reading the first Black Legion novel).

I get that those two aren't the fun primarchs, but it seems like a missed lore opportunity.

I don't know all the details but GW did some kind of retconning where chaos undivided isn't really a thing anymore but also perturabo and lorgar weren't subsequently aligned with any of the four so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

I think maybe it's just that they are unaligned and getting a more general power from chaos and not directly from the four gods in equal number? I dunno I'm not very clear on that.

Edit: found a thread on it https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/hkz9ns/is_chaos_undivided_truly_retconned_or_no/

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 28, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I swear one of the Gaunts Ghosts books mentions that rats spread with humanity to the stars

Yeah one trooper muses on it while he has a panic attack at the thought of spiders existing

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What is the dark coil?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Demilich posted:

What is the dark coil?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BigShasta posted:

Perturabo, rather than Vashtorr being the weaponsmith of Chaos and trying to bootstrap himself into 'Chaos God of the Dark Mechanicus' would have made a lot of sense.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

What is the dark coil?

A deeply incomprehensible series of books that has a big following in this thread.

YMMV despite the kudos the series and author gets here.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

A deeply incomprehensible series of books that has a big following in this thread.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I was gonna ask if there's a reading order, because that right there is a reading diagram.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's this chronological reading order people post but you can read it in any order, the publication order bounced around the timeline. Fire Caste was the first main novel published. Some of the earlier books in the timeline basically explain what's going on in the Dark Coil though but maybe that's better I dunno. Here's what the writer said:

Peter Fehervari posted:

“This is a logical way to read them, but not the only one. For example, time doesn’t run entirely linearly in the Coil so characters might slip backwards, however stories 8, 9, 10 and 11 (the Phaedra strand) are definitely best read in chronological order. The numbers in brackets are the order they were written in, which I don’t particularly recommend.”

Nightbleed (14th)
The Reverie (15th)
Requiem Infernal (12th)
Nightfall (1st)
The Walker in Fire (8th)
The Crown of Thorns (7th)
The Greater Evil (11th)
Out Caste (4th)
A Sanctuary of Wyrms (3rd)
Fire Caste (2nd)
Vanguard (6th)
Fire & Ice (novella) (5th)
The Thirteenth Psalm (13th)
Cast A Hungry Shadow (10th) – read with Spiral Dawn, before or after.
Cult of the Spiral Dawn (9th)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Right on, thanks!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

These Ark of Omen books are gonna be rulebooks like the fall of cadia?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yes, they are like the Gathering Storm books. The first Ark book is over half lore followed by rules for the new boarding ships game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

Yes, they are like the Gathering Storm books. The first Ark book is over half lore followed by rules for the new boarding ships game.

They'rve said they won't be including.atched play rules after the complaints about the supplements IIRC

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Z the IVth posted:

I went back and forced myself to finish Fire Caste and my opinion remains unchanged. I wish I loved it because the whole expanded DC universes sounds interesting but oh well.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If you don't like Fire Caste that's fair enough, and with that being the first full book I doubt you'll like the others since they only got weirder from there.

I love that in Fehervari's books the warp kinda reaches its potential and is about belief, causality, psychology, history, and a kind of haunted geography. This is a universe where Horus basically was corrupted by Chaos because he got stabbed by a Chaos knife.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Weird fiction is rad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If you don't like Fire Caste that's fair enough, and with that being the first full book I doubt you'll like the others since they only got weirder from there.

I love that in Fehervari's books the warp kinda reaches its potential and is about belief, causality, psychology, history, and a kind of haunted geography. This is a universe where Horus basically was corrupted by Chaos because he got stabbed by a Chaos knife.

I mean for whatever it's worth, it wasn't the weirdness that turned me off, I just think it wasn't particularly well-written.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean for whatever it's worth, it wasn't the weirdness that turned me off, I just think it wasn't particularly well-written.

Compared to other Black Library writers? :confused:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
All I read for like two straight years was BL stuff, almost all 40k (I did a decent amount of HH early on it) and yeah, it stuck out. The characterization and dialog were just...well, like I said, I forced myself to finish it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

Now I'm wondering how prolific Rattus actually are in the grim dark future.
You can run a native-American themed gang in Necromunda that's a racist pun based around making clothes out of the skins of giant rats.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

You can run a native-American themed gang in Necromunda that's a racist pun based around making clothes out of the skins of giant rats.

I don't think they're still officially supported by GW in the new edition any more, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Is there an omnibus or something with Nightbleed and other stories? I see it's a short so I reckon if I can get something else along with it that'd be neat.